Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Cessna posted:

I've also seen some 3d printed Imperial Army troops from Skullforge which are very, very tempting.

I decided I wanted to get into Legion so I printed and painted 20 of those guys last month only to find out you can't buy unit cards by themselves on Ebay like I had planned.

No, I hadn't played a FFG game before now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Go to tabletop Admiral and just print off the cards

I had to buy a French Luke and French Sabine so I ended up doing that regardless

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Anyone who gives you poo poo about it, isn't someone worth playing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Especially since with all the rebalances and poo poo half the cards don't actually say what's printed on them anyway.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

And with some rule reworks coming soon, some of those rules aren’t even going to exist anymore (looking at you, Scale/Clamber!)

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
When do we get to see the ewoks

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
quote="Icon Of Sin" post="529071958"]
And with some rule reworks coming soon, some of those rules aren’t even going to exist anymore (looking at you, Scale/Clamber!)
[/quote]

Very curious to see what they do with those cards, surely they are being repurposed somehow.

smug jeebus posted:

When do we get to see the ewoks

September I think.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
If I had to guess on the Scale/Clamber front, it'll just be "Don't reduce your speed when changing elevation (roll some dice if you don't have the keyword)".
Won't really matter for my rebels cause most everything I want to get to high ground can jump.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Hipster Occultist posted:

Go to tabletop Admiral and just print off the cards

I had to buy a French Luke and French Sabine so I ended up doing that regardless

Thanks, gonna do that!

I was mainly planning on playing with my kid anyways so I'm not sure why I was overthinking it so much.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

AT/ST, almost complete. I may add an oil streak or two, but I don't want to overdo it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

love the subtle weathering. If I had one note a few a very light patina of dirt around the leading edges of the feet matching the basing color would make it look that much more like it was ready to walk of the table.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

love the subtle weathering. If I had one note a few a very light patina of dirt around the leading edges of the feet matching the basing color would make it look that much more like it was ready to walk of the table.

Good idea, I'll probably do that to the stormtroopers' feet too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

New rules are supposed to be out today! Does anyone have eyes on a copy somewhere yet?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
It’s out on their site, but it’s 57 pages with no highlights to indicate what has changed. So real good job.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah there's a ton of little changes- covert ops now requires a second commander!- so I'm waiting on someone more obsessive than I to compile a changelog

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Kinda what I expected from the previews.

Not 100% sure what they really changed with cover and wound distribution. Stuff like not being able to hurt unseen models and not being able to distribute wounds across 2+ health models was already in the rules? At least that's how I've literally always seen it played so that one felt like AMG was misplaying and putting a patch over a leak that didn't actually exist, so that part's harmless. I feel like I'm going crazy looking at their silhouette templates though and missing something super basic. The whole point of the design was the fins on the sides for grip and the notch for your LOS drawing point. Why did they just rotate the original trooper template and widen it for the notched base trooper; Rules as written means you hold it upright still and an emplacement trooper is actually as skinny as a regular trooper and about 1.5x as tall. Like it straight up feels like someone who didn't understand it was told to rotate the original template and got no further explanation. Again, really feel like I'm missing something here.

They also made a point of stating suppression and panic checks were continuous now in the preview. I don't entirely mind the change of panicked units no longer trying to run and instead taking a knee and clearing off courage value worth of suppression. But again, combing the rules as written there appears to be exactly zero wording indicating a continuous check as opposed to the original check at rally step. Moreover if the continuous check is in fact their final ruling, it's a really bad one due to the weirdness of interaction with stuff like Compel and Spur. Bad, uninformed idea.

Climbing changes are totally fine. It was definitely a little too limiting and dangerous originally.

The sneaky little change to Covert Ops requiring a second commander seems entirely unnecessary.

Also, unrelated to rules changes it seems like they did a pretty good job of cleaning up the RRG and trimming excess wording alongside breaking it up into different keyword sections. It feels a little more readable and less daunting.

At the moment my initial impressions are similar to X-Wing 2.5 but way less harsh since these changes are all significantly less fundamental; They have their hearts in the right place but it feels a little too knee-jerk and like they only played a handful of games and were too quick to start slinging around changes without substantial understanding of how it all interlocked. A 50/50 blend of clean reasonable changes versus head scratching and "why?"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I'm still waiting on clarification (deflect no longer works in melee for some reason?) but overall while I'm not sold on the changes 100% they don't seem to fundamentally change it too much. I think the wound change was to make it so you can't get heavies scoped out by terrain

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah it looks like amongst Jedi lightsaber nonsense baseline Deflect as well as Ataru specifically say "ranged only surge to block" whereas Djem So is still any attack, melee or ranged. Weird little distinction that's absolutely gonna trip people up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This is making me feel better about never actually getting to play in the last ~9 months. Now I don't have to re-learn stuff!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

this seems to be a pretty good breakdown of the changes

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh cool there's a Legion thread. I found out I have a pretty active local scene, so I started painting up some Imperial units. These are super fun to paint up (and quick!)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Cessna posted:

AT/ST, almost complete. I may add an oil streak or two, but I don't want to overdo it.

Looking great. What did you use for the base? That's exactly the tone and look I want for my army but I cannot find a tutorial or guide that nails it.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Seems the communities are flipping out over cover changes and line of sight. Plenty of ATST questions where the new cover rules make for some pretty strange cases.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah the ATST essentially got nerfed because it can't use its height to get open shots anymore- though I do remember managing to maneuver my entire army behind an archway so I could kill an ATST without it being able to shoot back so it's a bit give and take. My big concern is that checking LOS from on top of buildings got trickier: you have to try and guess from the back of the base as to whether anything else is blocking your sight (since the building doesn't count if you're touching it.)

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The cover thing really isn't that big a deal and feels odd that it's what people are really grabbing onto considering the weird lack of clarification and sloppiness of most other rules changes. Playing early on in that launch window where it was like this, the idea of "make sure your leader is touching the terrain" got ingrained and it's how I and my friends have always tried to play. It's not that hard. You just sort of naturally wind up doing it the way the new rules want you to anyway most of the time. It's not super common that two units are shooting at one another and one is just close enough to an obstacle that it's not touching but would otherwise still have a clear shot at the defending unit via the previous rules. That's basically a really narrow band of area around terrain pieces where it could feel a little "weird." The AT-ST has always been a problem child with LOS because of being both so vertically oriented and also poseable on top of that. Not saying the changes are good, but the everyone has cover all the time now jokes are a little overblown.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hoiyes posted:

Looking great. What did you use for the base? That's exactly the tone and look I want for my army but I cannot find a tutorial or guide that nails it.

Model railroad ballast of different sizes, a tiny airbrush highlight, and grass tufts of a couple different colors. I'd be happy to give more detail, but it's pretty simple.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

My biggest problem with the new rules is simply that Vader quad bikes Blizzard Force hasn't been touched at all

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

StashAugustine posted:

My biggest problem with the new rules is simply that Vader quad bikes Blizzard Force hasn't been touched at all

They sure took down those Vigilant Rebels down a peg or two though, so problem solved!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Any London goons likely to head to That's No Dark Sphere on the 18th of February? If so, wanna get some games in beforehand to teach a newbie?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Cessna posted:

Model railroad ballast of different sizes, a tiny airbrush highlight, and grass tufts of a couple different colors. I'd be happy to give more detail, but it's pretty simple.
Thanks! Was the airbrush highlight a specific color or one you mixed up yourself? The rest I play around with until I get the look.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hoiyes posted:

Thanks! Was the airbrush highlight a specific color or one you mixed up yourself? The rest I play around with until I get the look.

A mix of a couple of different Tamiya colors. It's VERY light.

My general approach to basing (or doing anything natural) is to pick 2-4 colors that are fairly close to each other, then paint assembly-line style. Make one pass with each color on one area, then mix them up and make another pass on another area with different colors, etc. It makes things look varied but is very simple to do.

My full process for everything was:

1. Cover the top of the bases with drywall compound. This makes them less flat. If I'm basing a vehicle or something bigger I make it step/sit on the base so I'm sure it has a flat place to go when it's all done.

2. Spraypaint the base. In this case I used Krylon camouflage tan, available at the local hardware store.

3. Mount the model. For regular stormtroopers I pin them to a cork to paint them. When it's time to base them I cut the pin, drill a tiny hole in the base, and glue them down with a tiny bit of superglue on the pin. For vehicles I just glue them down.

4. I cover the base with white glue. Then I break out the railroad ballast - fortunately my city has a good model railroad store. I stick on a few of the biggest big rocks. Then I scatter on some medium sized rocks. Then I cover the whole base with the smallest rocks, which are pretty much sand. Shake off the excess when dry and make sure the edges of the base are clean.

5. I do a VERY light airbrush highlight on the base just to make the rocks a bit more varied in color. You can probably skip this step if you're happy with the rocks as-is; looking at the photos I can barely see it.

6. Glue on some grass tufts. I use some as-is, and cut up a few so they aren't all the same exact size.

It's all easy to do.

After these are done I'm going to tackle some Hoth rebels with snow bases, wish me luck.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Moff Gideon is coming with a print and play "imperial remnant" battleforce.

Big take away is a neat theme rule: Command range for orders reduced to 2, but outside the bubble get Independant: aim or dodge.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

Moff Gideon is coming with a print and play "imperial remnant" battleforce.

Holy poo poo, I must buy this.

I love the idea of an army of guys in hodge-podge/patched together armor, like this:

I know Gideon's army would be a little more "regular," but I can start there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Eh do it your way. I'm subbed to that Patreon and will be printing a bunch of the irregular. They should have run with that concept art.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I love the Empire units but holy hell so many of them are monochrome. Painted up some Death Troopers, and boy was it a pain in the rear end to make an all-black model look interesting.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Monochrome? What's that then?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Does anyone make, or print, stormtrooper backpacks?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Just a heads up in case anyone is interested, Skullforge is having a 35% off sale until the 31st.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I gotta get serious firing up the goop machine and printing off their awesome remnants now that that's gonna be a battleforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got some separatist robots in a mystery box and jesus christ are these things the spindliest motherfuckers I've ever encountered in the hobby