Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
New songs for the Up Up Girls (Pro Wrestling) would be out of TJPW's hands anyway. They're an offshoot of an existing idol group and most (all?) of their songs are derived from the main group's

ex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbDKSy526BY

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Miu is beyond ready to graduate from her idol contract into being a wrestler only

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

fez_machine posted:

Miu is beyond ready to graduate from her idol contract into being a wrestler only

Look at her twitter follows, she's way into Idols. She may not want to leave the group

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Johnny Landmine posted:

New songs for the Up Up Girls (Pro Wrestling) would be out of TJPW's hands anyway. They're an offshoot of an existing idol group and most (all?) of their songs are derived from the main group's

ex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbDKSy526BY

This has dealt me massive psychic damage

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I'm starting to think some of you people haven't watched “UP UP TOKYO JOSHI ~ALL UPPER KICK TOGETHER!~” from June 27, 2018 even once

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Taxman posted:

This has dealt me massive psychic damage

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Stall_19 posted:

Look at her twitter follows, she's way into Idols. She may not want to leave the group

Obviously I dunno how much of this is kayfabe and how much is true, but supposedly Miu wasn't particularly interested in wrestling when she first signed up, she just thought it would be a good way to become an idol.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Johnny Landmine posted:

I'm starting to think some of you people haven't watched “UP UP TOKYO JOSHI ~ALL UPPER KICK TOGETHER!~” from June 27, 2018 even once

Well FINE THEN, MAYBE I WILL

E: God I forgot how bad the new app is with old shows

E2: but I discovered they put the d-oh, princess cups, and king of DDT in a special category!

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 13, 2023

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

The greatest pro wrestling show of all time

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The greatest pro wrestling show of all time

:emptyquote:

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

https://www.wrestle-universe.com/videos/8LBti4NUTcVpsQybjGSnbh #wrestleUNIVERSE #tjpw

I watched part of this at some point, i remember those outfits

E: please give me a date-limited open search WU

E2: so glad I didn't skip the announcers intro so i could see upperkick/cut played by recorder via nostril

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 13, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Johnny Landmine posted:

Obviously I dunno how much of this is kayfabe and how much is true, but supposedly Miu wasn't particularly interested in wrestling when she first signed up, she just thought it would be a good way to become an idol.

I thought that was Raku. From my memory for at least two it was an easy way into the TJPW roster while the third was the reverse in that it was a backdoor to becoming an idol.

Edit: Reading the Dramatic DDT blog. Raku joined to be an idol, Noa joined to be a wrestler, and Miu joined to be both.

Looking at the UP UP Girls youtube channel, the UP UP Girls proper are much less of a draw than the Pro-wrestling arm (think sub-ChocoPro numbers for most of their videos). So there's probably understandable tension about where resources are directed and new members piggy backing on years of hard work to build an audience.

There's also this fun video of Stardom original Yuzupon doing some gym exercises with Miu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbzOqlOR8rg

Another part of the story might be that the UP-FRONT agency which co-created/ran the group has cut bait on the whole Up Up Girls project entirely as of this year.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 13, 2023

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Miu didn't care about wrestling but wanted to be an idol and Hikari didn't care about idols but wanted to be a wrestler

edit: nvm I guess lol

edit 2:

fez_machine posted:

Looking at the UP UP Girls youtube channel, the UP UP Girls proper are much less of a draw than the Pro-wrestling arm (think sub-ChocoPro numbers for most of their videos). So there's probably understandable tension about where resources are directed and new members piggy backing on years of hard work to build an audience.

I don't think YouTube views make a very compelling case for which is more of a draw/corporate priority in the abstract tbh. Neither of them is exactly super well known to the public in Japan but searching for "アップアップガールズ" (Up Up Girls) on its own brings up way more results for the idol group than anything wrestling-related and they definitely have a lot more resources devoted to them than the wrestling wing. Obviously the wrestling branch is much better known abroad but domestically they're kind of a footnote

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 13, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Lol at some people not knowing that Miu L-O-V-E's purowres and idol.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Johnny Landmine posted:

No, but I did once watch a show called "ZERO1 Pro-Wrestling Elimination Of Child Bullying ~ A Really Strong Person Does Not Bully And Will Stand Up Many Times"

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Mr. Squishy posted:

Lol at some people not knowing that Miu L-O-V-E's purowres and idol.

Every time someone starts telling me, Rika Tatsumi's theme kicks in

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Speaking of Miu, when are the COWARDS and FOOLS in charge of pro wrestling going to do the needful and give me a Miu / Trish Adora singles match?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Speaking of Miu, when are the COWARDS and FOOLS in charge of pro wrestling going to do the needful and give me a Miu / Trish Adora singles match?

January 4, 2023?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just want to see Miu L O V E and swing bitches don't gently caress this up for me TJPW

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

January 4, 2023?

Another one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been out of the TJPW loop for a while. Is there a good recent-ish jumping on point?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I mean, the 1.4 show is the 1.4 show it's got all the hits and includes some really good times.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

karmicknight posted:

I mean, the 1.4 show is the 1.4 show it's got all the hits and includes some really good times.

Yeah, just watch this show and then watch any other show that catches your eye.

You're not missing any real deep storylines that they don't recap.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

there is one TJPW storyline and it is "everyone is slowly getting better by striving hard and trying their best". Like, you keep watching until you go "whoah, the Cassowary finally got a pin! neat!". AND there's an intricate network of tag teams names, but that is just too complicated to communicate to initiates.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
all wrestlers are just walking that princess road.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There is a story of friction between Yuka and Miyu (mostly Yuka hating that Miyu exists), but they recap it a bit and it's fine.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Pom also got turbo murdered like 4 different times by visiting wrestler MAX THE IMPALER. One of those times Pom was fed to Max by God Raku herself for her own amusement.

So there's that.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 13, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Endo will finally get her first singles win any day now

:negative:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

SG Bamboo posted:

Endo will finally get her first singles win any day now

:negative:

Endo's curb-knee thing is such a brutal move it breaks my heart it just doesn't get to win matches. There are two new girls, surely they can let her knee one of them to death.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

PublicOpinion posted:

Endo's curb-knee thing is such a brutal move it breaks my heart it just doesn't get to win matches. There are two new girls, surely they can let her knee one of them to death.

It's called Tsuruga-jō :eng101:!

It's named after a castle in her home region, don't ask me why

It rules, especially when she does escalating versions of it like that Mizuki match

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

The Taxman posted:

It's called Tsuruga-jō :eng101:!

It's named after a castle in her home region, don't ask me why

ah yes, it's a very interesting castle. The legends state that the man who built it threw a feast for all the builders who worked on it but while they were drunk he had them all killed so that nobody would know it's secrets.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ItohRespectArmy posted:

ah yes, it's a very interesting castle. The legends state that the man who built it threw a feast for all the builders who worked on it but while they were drunk he had them all killed so that nobody would know it's secrets.

Lunatic Owner: Good work assassins, to celebrate that all my evil secrets are now safe, I've bought you all lots of drinks!
Assassins: Hey, wait a second.....

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Lunatic Owner: Good work assassins, to celebrate that all my evil secrets are now safe, I've bought you all lots of drinks!
Assassins: Hey, wait a second.....

I think that's literally the plot of a Kazuo Koike storyline from one of his Shogunate era comics

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/0929_hazuki/status/1614612960588226560

Looks like there's gonna be a second Fuwa-chan match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

They need all the help they can get to do a good house in Yokohama

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1614758042838659072?t=S_ImnM-5OLX5Ri-qW2nxLA&s=19

Oh my god, these are must listen in the worst way.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 16, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Where are they linked?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h907j8TlXE4

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I dont know, that was a little pitchy, dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
miu's drawings rock, this is just plain bad.

better stick to karate and acting and nursing and wrestling!