Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

$40 million budget ($90m in today's money) and a cast that included Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Brain Doyle-Murray, John Candy, an impossibly young and beautiful Demi Moore, and a cameo from Digital Underground, and it's all completely wasted.

Just awful.

Oh gently caress, as a kid, I thought I had a fever dream but it was this movie.

WIBTA for asking my girlfriend to look for other birth control options?

quote:

She has been gaining weight as a result of being on birth control (pill.) My guess is 10lbs at least. It doesn’t sound like a lot, but she used to be 103lbs. She’s 5’0. I also looked it up on google, and the ideal weight says 90-110lbs. I’m going to be honest, I don’t love it, and it’s not some rigid and unattainable thing to prefer. Keep in mind that I’m looking for opinions before telling her anything. I’ve read that different birth control options may not cause her to gain weight. WIBTA?

Sadly no info as to his weight. Or how he feels about condoms or anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

OP also says in the comments that they knew it was OP's cat. They were over at OP's house multiple times after it went missing and knew how devastated OP was

I hate cats so this brings me no pleasure to report that the death penalty is on the table

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

OP also says in the comments that they knew it was OP's cat. They were over at OP's house multiple times after it went missing and knew how devastated OP was

OP posted:

My dad put in cameras in the back yard and on the sides of the house after we discovered the lost cat signs. That was another indication. Whoever took him knew where our one camera was which was over the driveway. He also never got picked up on the camera the night he vanished.

yeah, you don't have to be sherlock holmes to crack this case

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Serephina posted:

What a twist, I can't believe I'm agreeing sympathizing with the Barbie-hater there. It's lovely that she's never faced any debt, but at some point you have to admit that a job is a job, unless you're being supported by your parents/spouse and can afford to do stuff like volunteer work.

At some levels a job is a job, but Doctor and Diplomat have stress levels that take them out of that running. If she was an accountant that lateraled to IT and then decided to drop it in favor of culinary school, you might have a point.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I want The Flash to punch this dude in the balls at hyper speed like he's training with one of those things boxers use.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sadly no info as to his weight. Or how he feels about condoms or anything else.

lmao he posted it on two different subs and got wrecked on both

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

important to remember butter dawg is satire lmao

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mx. posted:

WIBTA if I refuse to give back my ‘neighbors’ cat?

quote:

I was prepared to find out if Amazon could drone deliver us food to my window before I ever open that door again.

Lmao

Also Thomas O’Malley is a fantastic name for a cat

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

WIBTA if I refuse to give back my ‘neighbors’ cat?

Rehome the mother

Apparently the mom was going "look you can get a cat anywhere at any shelter, so just give up your cat!" Instead of "You can get a cat anywhere at any shelter, they should get a cat there and not steal yours."

What an awful woman.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
How the hell is having the microchip record not absolute evidence whose cat it is. Take em to court.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

How the hell is having the microchip record not absolute evidence whose cat it is. Take em to court.

Mom doesn't want to go to court (because she absolutely was in on getting rid of her daughter's cat)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Midnight Voyager posted:

Mom doesn't want to go to court (because she absolutely was in on getting rid of her daughter's cat)

Mom needs to go on a trip to a farm upstate

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

Again, its this.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Playing a ukulele in an open office

quote:

For the last year or so, my best friend has been working in a large open office with maybe 30 or 40 other people. This brings with it the expected annoyances of having to overhear other conversations, lack of privacy, and so forth, but it has also brought a very unexpected and unwanted surprise: a woman who often plays a ukulele in the middle of the workday.
When my friend told me this, I was dumbfounded that anyone, anywhere, could think that playing a musical instrument regularly in an open-office floor plan was appropriate. Apparently, however, not only does this woman play her ukulele frequently, but a few of her cubicle neighbors encourage it. Because it’s been encouraged by a handful of employees, my friend has been reluctant to speak up and complain, but I can’t help but think that there are several dozen other employees being forced to hear it who must hate it as much as my friend does.
I know the correct answer in this specific situation is that my friend should talk to this woman and explain that her ukulele-playing is distracting. Would you, however, like to offer a blanket ruling on the appropriateness of any regular musical-instrument-playing at all in an open-floor-plan office, even when it’s been solicited by a few people? I feel like this is the sort of thing that’s beyond the pale unless it’s done with the express consent of all hearers, but maybe I’m being too harsh about this?

quote:

Nope, you’re not being too harsh. Open offices are difficult enough with just the normal range of office sounds — phone calls, work discussions, etc. — and consideration of other people is particularly important in that environment. It’s really not cool to add a loud, entirely optional, potentially very intrusive noise into the mix without the explicit consent of everyone around. And if it’s happening on a regular basis, I’d modify that to the explicit, enthusiastic consent of everyone around.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pirate Radar posted:

What

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Just a little letter from an office somewhere over the rainbow, way up high…

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Lmao

It's the name of the orange cat from Disney's Aristocats.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I was flying out of PDX once and a woman broke out some sort of harp and was playing it at the gate.

It was a very Portland thing to do, I suppose.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

JackSplater posted:

It's the name of the orange cat from Disney's Aristocats.

Welp, guess it’s been long enough since I’ve seen that last to add it to my list to rewatch :doh:

Midnight Voyager posted:

Apparently the mom was going "look you can get a cat anywhere at any shelter, so just give up your cat!" Instead of "You can get a cat anywhere at any shelter, they should get a cat there and not steal yours."

What an awful woman.

gently caress, gently caress, gently caress these kinds of people that think pets are just toys you can swap in and out. They’re living beings, assholes! That imprint on other living beings!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The Maroon Hawk posted:

gently caress, gently caress, gently caress these kinds of people that think pets are just toys you can swap in and out. They’re living beings, assholes! That imprint on other living beings!

well the mom doesn't think that pets are interchangeable, because it's important to her that her kid loses this specific cat

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

well the mom doesn't think that pets are interchangeable, because it's important to her that her kid loses this specific cat

Woodchipper, feet first

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Lmao

I can perfectly picture this cat in my mind, fully realized. That name says it all.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Tobermory posted:

Huh, everyone I know who rowed crew in college was just overwhelmingly queer. It made roller derby look heteronormative. Maybe it's a regional thing. Anyway, content:

A duck ruined my relationship

I'm pretty sure it's not about the duck.

I thought "duck" even before clicking on the spoiler. These posts are getting too predictable.

Pirate Radar posted:

I hate people playing musical instruments in public so much that I lost respect for Jennifer Connelly when I learned that she got interested in Paul Bettany when they worked together on A Beautiful Mind and he played his guitar on set. The rest of their story is pretty romantic but all I can think of when I think about that is picking up Paul Bettany's guitar from his hands and breaking it over his head. And I think Jennifer Connelly is generally awesome.

Anyway, here's something.

My (34m) in-laws (71m, 71f, 40m) are absurdly indirect communicators and I am close to bursting a blood vessel every time I interact with them. I need advice.

quote:

I am from a working-class family, born and raised in the central valley of California. I never went hungry and my parents raised me to speak my mind, be my own advocate, and deliver it straight.

My wife (33f) is from a small, inwardly-focused midwest town where keeping the peace is more important than accomplishing goals.

We both ended up living in an expensive west coast city, met, fell in love, and got married. Over that time, we've prioritized communication skills; I have learned to soften my tone, and she has learned to use her words proactively.

Her family, not so. Here are two simple examples:

(1) I was cooking a complex Christmas dinner a couple weeks back. My MIL was hovering - which I tried to be understanding about, because being out of control is a new experience for her - and repeatedly asked me "you sure you want to add that?" to which I'd respond "yep" and continue.

Well, dinner was served and MIL didn't eat it. As I learned, "you sure you want to add that?" was code for I don't like that and won't eat it. But she "didn't want to be rude".

In my family, rudeness is not telling me these things and refusing my food!

(2) it took us forty minutes to pick a place to eat. I'd reserved "dinner out" on the calendar and figured we'd talk it out as a group. Nope! Everyone declared all the things they don't want, or made little "jokes" to themselves how there were too many options (pick one!), or went into long family histories of dietary restrictions.

My attempts to focus the conversation were met with "well just pick someplace", and when I did, the cycle would start over.

I will have these people in my life for a very long time. How do I massage these communication styles together? What are tactics to help me stay sane and also exit these conversations tactfully?

tldr: my in-laws and I are divided by a shared language.
I, too, know the misery of standing around for forty-five minutes while other people try to decide where to eat.

And you can just count the red flags in this post, but the first two sentences are knockouts:
Should I move in with my boyfriend?

quote:

I (F26) have been seeing a man (M37) for 7 months now and recently he asked me to move in with him. He is technically married but his wife is in prison and she won't be released until 2030. Since they know that their relationship may not last that long, they are very open about it. In fact when he first asked me out we went to see her and ask her if she feels comfortable with it. The plan was to see what happens next and then decide what to do. Then we started dating and we actually started to like each other. He also have has two kids (M6 and M11) that I'm getting along with. Sometimes I even go over to their house and cook them dinner so they don't have to eat out all the time. He was very dependent on his wife before when it came to the kids and the household. So far I've really enjoyed caring for them. Yesterday he asked me if I'd like to move in with him and the kids since his wife won't be out anytime soon and the kids really need someone to be around and in his words "like" me. He would be still be legally married to his wife for the time being (because of the kids) but that might change in the future. Next week we're going to see his wife to ask her if she's ok with it. I really love him and the kids But I'm still unsure about it. What should I do?

r/relationships: He is technically married but his wife is in prison

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

A true monster. If I was there, I'd also be guiltily going "what deviled eggs?" but it'd be because I found them first and shamefully ate them all in secret.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So uh, hey, 7 years in jail is kind of a big deal, beyond just you know being in jail? Gonna chime in on that, pal? No?

Well have fun getting murdered in 2030

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When you bury the beans under a tree they can nail you on jeopardizing the beans AND breaking Treelaw

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pirate Radar posted:

Open offices are so hellish that I think what she is doing is OK. Why pretend anyone was going to get anything done in that environment any?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Barudak posted:

So uh, hey, 7 years in jail is kind of a big deal, beyond just you know being in jail? Gonna chime in on that, pal? No?

7 more years in jail; we don't know how long she's been there already

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

I can perfectly picture this cat in my mind, fully realized. That name says it all.

I am rotating ur cat in my mind and quite frankly there's nothing you can do about it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for refusing my own birthday cake?

quote:

Throwaway bc my friends and husband know my main account.

Basically yesterday was my birthday. I am not a fan of chocolate cake but my husband and closest friends all are. Like if it’s there and someone insists I have some then I’ll take a bite but I really don’t like it.

Every year my husband insists on getting my birthday cake (I have tried to get my own in prev years but it just become a huge drama that I don’t trust him to know what I like abs then he sulks and is moody all day so I have given up.)

In recent years the only time I had a cake I liked was when my MIL made me a lemon drizzle cake.

Last night we were at a restaurant with my friends for my birthday meal. At the end the waitstaff brought out a huge chocolate fudge cake and were singing happy birthday. I got fed up and when they finished singing I asked them to take the cake back and package it up for my guests and asked for the bill.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask to get a cake flavour I like for one day out of the year but now my husband is having a go at me and saying I embarrassed him in front of our friends and everyone in the restaurant.

AITA?

wow, so what does this amazing guy do for anniversaries?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013
And you can just count the red flags in this post, but the first two sentences are knockouts:
Should I move in with my boyfriend?

r/relationships: He is technically married but his wife is in prison

This one sounds awfully familiar. The one I'm thinking about has an older man, young woman, 2 kids
and she ends up leaving him after finally figures out she's childcare. Also the guy wanted
to stay home from her sister's wedding since he didn't want to watch his own kids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 'ask culture vs guess culture' poo poo came up a while back, and the latter really is nothing but the result of generational abuse and the special hell of small town Mean Girls politics. At least when you have an ounce of leverage it's pretty easy to just bulldoze over them because they have no idea how to deal with a firm answer.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

I hate cats so this brings me no pleasure to report that the death penalty is on the table

no one can truly own a cat

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for refusing my own birthday cake?

it just become a huge drama that I don’t trust him to know what I like

I fuckin wonder why?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Barudak posted:

gently caress you for reminding me that 2030 is only 7 years away. :argh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

gently caress you for reminding me that 2030 is only 7 years away. :argh:

Id be a little more excited to reunite with my kids, but you do you lady.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Barudak posted:

Id be a little more excited to reunite with my kids, but you do you lady.

Hey it's understandable, they probably have really bad vibes.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

My last job also had an open office and a ukulele woman, and also, for some godforsaken reason, karaoke on Fridays. Karaoke in a job where a good 90% of people in the building were making long calls to clients who were invariably confused and annoyed by the loud, offkey version of I Want It That Way absolutely dominating the sound level.

What I'm saying is other ukulele person should also try to get a work from home job, easy peasy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enemabag Jones posted:

My last job also had an open office and a ukulele woman, and also, for some godforsaken reason, karaoke on Fridays. Karaoke in a job where a good 90% of people in the building were making long calls to clients who were invariably confused and annoyed by the loud, offkey version of I Want It That Way absolutely dominating the sound level.

What I'm saying is other ukulele person should also try to get a work from home job, easy peasy.

A guy down the pub has started playing acoustic guitar on evenings so I always carry 20€ with me in 2€ coins when I go there, so I can put 30 songs on the jukebox whenever he starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A guy down the pub has started playing acoustic guitar on evenings so I always carry 20€ with me in 2€ coins when I go there, so I can put 30 songs on the jukebox whenever he starts.

you sir are a man after my own heart

How many whats new pussy cats did you que up