Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

ilmucche posted:

Aww thanks kenning, you're a champ! Hope your power issues are resolved safely!

Thanks friend! I spent a completely maniacal night by myself with no internet and no cell service yesterday playing Dwarf Fortress for 8 hours after work. I think we're getting a bit better on the infrastructure front.

e: oh god I just heard a tree go down as I was writing this. I'm still good but jfc.

JNCO BILOBA posted:

Thank you for this thread and the last one. I checked out the sport last time and am following/learning this time. I'm having a lot of fun!

Welcome to the thread and to sumo!

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

The psychology of the banzuke is super interesting to me, if you're going for yushos then it makes sense to take your rest, but if you're hoping to put together an Ozeki run then you might value position more, missing two Bashos then having to climb that mountain again might be a factor in some of these decisions to gut things out.

The psychology and the pressure of the banzuke is basically the defining characteristic of sumo after the lack of weight classes. It's the core of so much drama.

Cocomonk3 posted:

Dangit, that sucks. He was how I watched. What's the next best similar option?

Natto Sumo is a good alternative, but I always miss Kinta if he's not able to post.

Kuros posted:

I didn't realize I had been promoted!

Yeah, you're maegashira 12 west! Congrats.

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

Massive mental lapse here - somehow convinced myself we started next weekend! I have some picks in case I'm allowed a very belated entry, otherwise I shall sit out for breaking fantasy COVID protocols.

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Kotonawaka

M1-M5:
Tobizaru
Abi
Mitakeumi

M6-M10:
Hokutofuji
Ura
Onosho

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Ichiyamamoto
Kagayaki

Here's your team from Day 4:

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Wakatakakage
M1-M5: Tobizaru
M6-M10: Hokutofuji
M11+: Ichiyamamoto

Because I'm looking at this on Day 5, I'm just giving you Ichiyamamoto instead of Tochinoshin cause the admin bullshit of first giving you Tochi, then auto-trading Ichi etc. would be too annoying.

Bentai posted:

Kenning, if I can, I'd like to trade Oho for either Ura or Hokutofuji. Thanks!

Trade registered for Day 4, you got Hokutofuji.

Kuros posted:

Trade request:

Oho for in order: Onosho or Aoiyama.

Single Tight Female posted:

Oh dear I may be new to the sport but that did not look good. Kenning can I trade Tochinoshin for Kotoeko or Ichiyamamoto?

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Trade request: Oho for Onosho, Aoiyama or Ura please.

Spokes posted:

i'll swap tochinoshin for whoever is on the fewest amount of rosters, or if that's not an option, a completely random option, and if that's not an option, Kotoeko or Kotoshoho

riderchop posted:

Kenning, I gotta get Tochi out of mine, pick between Kotoeko, Azumaryu, Ura for me

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If I could please swap Tochinoshin for Kotoeko or Kotoshoho.

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, Oho's gotta go. Kenning, can I trade Oho for Onosho, Hokutofuji, or Ura, please?

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'd like to trade Oho for Onosho, Ura or Hokotofuji please.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

poo poo. drat. Kenning, I'd like to trade Tochinoshin for Kotoeko or Chiyomaru if possible

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I cursed Tochi I am sorry to Tochicrew.

Trade him for Azumaryu or Kotoshoho

NuclearPotato posted:

RIP Tochi; of course it’d be the first time I picked you when you finally break :smith:

Making my kyujo trade for either Kotoshoho or Kagayaki.

All trades registered for Day 5. I'll also be trading Oho for Onosho.

Trade results:
code:
Ben Nerevarine:			Kotoeko
ImplicitAssembler:		Kotoeko
Kenning:			Onosho
Kuros:				Onosho
MyChemicalImbalance:		Onosho
NuclearPotato:			Kotoshoho
rare Magic card l00k:		Azumaryu
riderchop:			Kotoeko
Single Tight Female:		Kotoeko
Spokes:				Mitoryu
Teddybear:			Onosho

ullerrm posted:

* Trade Tochinoshin (now kyujo) for Takarafuji, Kotoshoho, or Kotoeko
* Trade Oho (who is just plain suckin it up) for Onosho, Aoiyama, or Hokutofuji

You got Takarafuji on Day 5, and Onosho on Day 6.

I'm gonna finish filling out the spreadsheet and then post Day 4 results in a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

No day: Hoshoryu looking loving incredible, he could make ozeki after this basho.

Day 4 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
17	Khizan
17	MalarkeyToboggan
17	scripterror
15	Banana Canada
15	Charles Gnarwin
15	Tiny Bug Child
14	anakha
14	Flinger
13	Marching Powder
13	MyChemicalImbalance
13	NuclearPotato
13	Teddybear
13	Thauros
12	jmzero
12	Mode 7
12	Vargatron
11	bessantj
11	Brut
11	Fluffdaddy
11	Ice Phisherman
11	Kuros
11	Pakled
11	sivad
10	captainblastum
10	Eli949
10	GoatSeeGuy
10	ilmucche
10	Jobbo_Fett
10	Kenning
10	Netsky
9	Chinook
9	Crusty Nutsack
9	Liquid Communism
9	Neodoomium
9	pseudodragon
9	Tochiazuma
8	Iron Chef Nex
6	bartolimu
6	Communist Thoughts
3	Everyones Favorite Poster
Juryo
code:
16	do it on my face
15	ratmosphere
15	Samuel L. Hacksaw
14	Average Lettuce
14	Eldoop
14	ImplicitAssembler
14	QuasiQuack
14	whats for dinner
13	Elissimpark
13	Helianthus Annuus
13	Nativity In Black
13	rare Magic card l00k
12	Akiosan
12	Biosys
12	PJ
12	Robviously
12	Saturnine Aberrance
12	Single Tight Female
12	Spokes
11	Boogalo
11	oldskool
11	Winter Stormer
10	John McClane
10	LlamaTrauma
10	riderchop
10	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
9	Ben Nerevarine
9	Dead Goon
9	Lid
9	ullerrm
8	Log082
7	Beexoffel
6	Bentai
6	Xerxes

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Kenning, I think you mighta missed my trade request:

whats for dinner posted:

Kenning, could I please trade Tochinoshin for Kotoshoho or Kotoeko?

Very glad to hear you're okay besides any Dwarf Fortress-inflicted fugue states!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

whats for dinner posted:

Very glad to hear you're okay besides any Dwarf Fortress-inflicted fugue states!

Thanks for catching this, you have Kotoshoho day 5. And yeah, I've been digging a little too greedily and too deep, but otherwise I've been holding it together.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Requesting to trade out Tochinoshin for Kagayaki or Okinoumi in that order as that's who I chose originally. Thanks!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Day 5:Is Abi unstoppable? It seems like if you can't get a grip on him he's just going to shove you out. Just completely embarrassed my man Wakatakakage.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm just putting on record that I will be dying along with Tochi! Less enthusiastic about dying with Oho, but at this point...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Despite his injury I will be staying with tochinoshin please. Especially after getting the rework to have him on my team

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I am going to display gaman and keep Oho on my team. I have a feeling he's going to come around on the middle third.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Can I trade Nishikifuji for Daieisho or Abi? If not just let it be.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I am going to display gaman and keep Oho on my team. I have a feeling he's going to come around on the middle third.

For the sake of our teams, I sure hope so, but he's at his highest ranking in a year. Water finds its level...

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

For the sake of our teams, I sure hope so, but he's at his highest ranking in a year. Water finds its level...

I would be happy for him to find a nice "float level" here as opposed going down like a solid lead balloon - I really hope he's not injured in some way.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bummed out by the Tochinoshin news

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I never really know what to do when someone goes kyujo, do you automatically trade for someone from my picks at the same rank, Kenning?

Day 5: I thought Aoiyama looked as if he was moving really well, and his Sumo was very good.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Thanks for the late registration and as always for running this Kenning!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How many trades do we get?

Can I trade Ryuden for Abi please?

Apraxin posted:

he's got a ways to go before the current record.

(points if you can guess who it belongs to before clicking through)

I was more laughing at the fact that he was straight in at Ms15 and his first match is a walk over.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Nothing personal, you're just standing in the way of my return to yokogoona :evilbuddy:

Fortunately my natural ability to be terrible sees you well ahead of me now.

EDIT: Didn't have Kotoshoho in my initial picks!

bessantj fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 12, 2023

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lid posted:

Day 5 Ura got Ura'd

He’s looking very predictable off the tachiai and other rikishi are taking advantage :smith:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

whats for dinner posted:

Sort of same. You quoted me for trading but I wasn't on the list.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Thanks Kenning!!

Day 5 the Ura flip got me pretty good

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kenning, sorry to do this but I gotta get rid of Okinoumi as well. Kotoshoho, Azumaryu, Kotoeko, Takarafuji. Dealer's choice.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I should trade but I'm going down with the ship with my terrible lads

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
While I agree that I’m sumo, like a demon you go all out to win, I also maintain that trading for non-injury reasons is a sign of poor fighting spirit. Why yes, I am on the fantasy YDC, why do you ask?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Beeswax posted:

While I agree that I’m sumo, like a demon you go all out to win, I also maintain that trading for non-injury reasons is a sign of poor fighting spirit. Why yes, I am on the fantasy YDC, why do you ask?

I agree. I'm riding the Kotonowaka and Oho ship all the way to the bitter end.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kotonowaka's had these bad early starts before and they've all been because he goes through the meatgrinder in Week 1. I think he's still got a good shot at going kachi-koshi.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Yeah, that's why komusubi/m3+ is a real tough rank. Your entire first week is feeding the top of the sanyaku.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm just putting on record that I will be dying along with Tochi!

:hmmyes:

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Alright guys, I gotta clear this in my head.

Abi wins this thing, he's yokozuna, correct? Back-to-back tournament wins being the criteria? Or is there another qualifier?

Taka wins this, we already know he's yokozuna because they've said so. So if that happens, and no one ends up in the 33 win range, does that mean no ozeki? That almost seems rarer than no yokozuna.

Please correct my absolute ignorance.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

acejackson42 posted:

Alright guys, I gotta clear this in my head.

Abi wins this thing, he's yokozuna, correct? Back-to-back tournament wins being the criteria? Or is there another qualifier?

Taka wins this, we already know he's yokozuna because they've said so. So if that happens, and no one ends up in the 33 win range, does that mean no ozeki? That almost seems rarer than no yokozuna.

Please correct my absolute ignorance.

You have to win back to back (generally) as an ozeki (this part is not negotiable) to become yokozuna, so no, Abi would not become yokozuna.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Abi would have to be promoted to Ozeki before getting to Yokozuna - so he wouldn't get that promotion if he wins this one. Takakeisho could get promoted, since he lost in the playoff last tournament, but I think that I recall some rumblings that he'd need to have a very good performance to get the promotion, and not just a 12-3 yusho sort of thing?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Back to back wins from ozeki. But it would put him up at san’yaku—I don’t know if they’d go to sekiwake or just komusubi. (He wouldn’t meet the criteria for ozeki even with a yusho.)

E: triple beaten.

Double edit: if Taka becomes yokozuna and no one else achieves the promotion criteria they could make both him and Teru yokozuna-ozeki, no?

Scythe fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 13, 2023

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The lesson here is that sumo goons love explaining how one becomes a yokozuna.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 6: Papayasu and Okinoumi are kyujo. :smith:
*edit*
Removed spoiler tag for draft purposes.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 13, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Very strong opinions about Abi ever carrying the dignity of a Yokozuna intensifies

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lid posted:

It's a good metaphor as Takayasu is lying flat on his side as he ends most of his matches.

I don't think kyujo counts as spoilers as they are important to drafting and don't impact on matches to be watched

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shiroc posted:

Very strong opinions about Abi ever carrying the dignity of a Yokozuna intensifies

Abi could genuinely fail the Shingitai test

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Oof that's two kyujo for me now, Kenning could I trade Takayasu for Hoshoryu perchance? Or failing that Wakatakakage?

Very fun basho so far aside from two of my faves' bodies continuing to fall apart! I'm pumped for Abi v. Takakeisho tonight, that should be a good one.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Abi could genuinely fail the Shingitai test

What's this?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are there actually more guys hurt than normal or is it just that all of my favorites are hurt so it feels like more?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I meant hinkaku which is that the YDC can choose to not promote because you fail a character test to uphold the dignity and grace of sumo. It gets levied a lot about people doing Below Honour in matches and Hakuho correctly told them all to gently caress off and they did nothing but scandals outside the ring lead to forced retirements and Abi has a bad reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I want to trade Ura but I look at all the other people I could trade him for and kind of furrow my brow and go "hrm" so I guess I will stick with him and see if after two days of going too low into the tachiai and getting planted he'll try literally anything else.