Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Nuts and Gum posted:

Only if you’re looking at the default home. Loading into a game suddenly the resolution sucks cause it’s powered by a mobile phone chip.

True. I mostly use my Quest 2 with my PC though so it's usually at full res. I'm really hoping PS5 is going to have good AA. I pretty much stopped playing VR until I can upgrade my GPU because it's just underpowered enough that I can tell what my experience could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

As someone who has played 1000s of hours of Souls games the dodge in other games always feels weird to me lol.

:same:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm wondering if Sony are going to try and relaunch Home for the PSVR to try and compete with Facebook's stupidity. There's really no reason that they should, right, it's clear that the metaverse stuff is a monumental waste of time, right

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I make the shocked pikachu face whenever I play a new game and rolling toward a big sword swing does damage. Or when my big heavy attack gets canceled because I was trying to queue a dodge.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This was me trying to dodge through attacks for my first several hours with Sekiro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0uUF3mK7Xk&t=56s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

This was me trying to dodge through attacks for my first several hours with Sekiro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0uUF3mK7Xk&t=56s

Sub rosa Clockwork Orange reference, early Simpsons was so loving good

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, Sekiro was the hardest thing in the world until I stopped trying to play it like Dark Souls.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

alright im firing up disco elysium again. what's the best advice on how to approach if i have the attention span of a piece of gum?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Physical stats are just as useful (and fun!) as mental ones. Personally I think the game is incomplete if you don't put a couple points in Shivers, but seriously, make the cop you want.
Don't give yourself 1 Psyche or 1 Physique. Either of those will give you a starting healthbar of 1 pip, and while it's totally possible to work around that, it's rough for a new player.
Don't be afraid to say whatever sounds interesting; the other characters are incredibly tolerant of you being a freak.
There are no bad sidequests.
There are people who prefer some of the original performances, but on the whole the current mainline voice-acting in the game is good-to-great, just leave that stuff on the default.
You'll probably finish the game around Day 7. Time advances when you are in dialogue; it's frozen when you're walking or standing around. There is no limit to how many days you can play. The days tend to be pretty equal in length.
Failing checks is part of the fun, and can sometimes lead to progress. There's no need to save-scum.
Money is really tight for the first two days of the game, but then it stops being a problem.
Be prepared to read a million words and frequently feel bad.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

whoa that was more than i expected so quick. thanks!

i, uh, started with just being an intellectual from the preselect options and my psyche is a 1 lol should i restart

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
probably. 1 psyche is especially bad because psyche damage is way more random and abrupt than physical damage

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

alright im firing up disco elysium again. what's the best advice on how to approach if i have the attention span of a piece of gum?

Do what seems fun. Failure is normally as entertaining as success, sometimes more so, so no need to fret too much about doing things right. It's more of a CYOA with superb writing than a traditional RPG, so don't worry about guides and go with the flow.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

negativeneil posted:

True. I mostly use my Quest 2 with my PC though so it's usually at full res. I'm really hoping PS5 is going to have good AA. I pretty much stopped playing VR until I can upgrade my GPU because it's just underpowered enough that I can tell what my experience could be.

Oh! In that case it’s p good with a pc hookup, but yeah I’d expect psvr2 to be a leap forward. If for nothing else the ergonomics of the quest are trash. I can’t believe I’m going to have forehead haptics soon.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

that's fair. i played a few hours back in like 2021(?) and died looking through the trash in the middle of town or something. it was confusing. i think i just gotta embrace how weird it is and not try to expect anything specific. i restarted and did custom stats to what feels right for now.

appreciate the tips

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

ShoogaSlim posted:

whoa that was more than i expected so quick. thanks!

i, uh, started with just being an intellectual from the preselect options and my psyche is a 1 lol should i restart

Yeah probably, I think it’s best to roll your own but to put at least 2 points into everything, you have to pass checks for nearly everything so it’s easier when your skills are more balanced.

ShoogaSlim posted:

that's fair. i played a few hours back in like 2021(?) and died looking through the trash in the middle of town or something. it was confusing. i think i just gotta embrace how weird it is and not try to expect anything specific. i restarted and did custom stats to what feels right for now.

appreciate the tips

Yeah it seems confusing, but it really isn’t, if you just keep healing items on you it’s almost impossible to actually fail (well, you can still fail if you choose certain dialogue options that seem particularly deranged). It can also feel overwhelming at the beginning, but I think that’s by design, because you’re supposed to feel a bit like the player character, waking up with amnesia and not knowing the basic history of the world or the name of the city or the country you’re in, etc. It’s a very funny game, so like others have said, if you just choose what seems like the funniest outcome to you, then you’ll get funny responses, etc. and also the game gives you thoughts and sort of bases your general personality on the types of responses you give, so if you just choose what you yourself would actually choose, it’ll give you the thought for a specific political ideology, like a political compass test but fun.

Edit: also lol I didn’t mean to shame you into playing disco elysium or outer wilds, I was just making a dumb joke, when I added you I was just snooping around your trophies to see what you’ve played and it seems like we have somewhat similar tastes, but those are also two of my favorite games ever so I just noticed that you had only played a tiny bit of both.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 13, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

imhotep posted:

What was wrong with it? I didn’t play it, but I downloaded the demo I think.

Nothing really wrong with it, I just wasn’t into the photography/talking side of things, and then when you do some biking it was great but not enough to get me to buy it

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

it was just the right amount of pressure i needed to pick it up again bc i had been meaning to. all the praise on this forum has me convinced it'll be something i like once it clicks for me.

i went hours and hours playing and hating and posting about playing and hating bloodborne before it clicked and i finally got it. it's not that i *hate* DE or OW they're just not my typical pace or involvement level. i'm committed to giving it a fair shake :)

having it described as a choose your own adventure interactive political spectrum test helps me better understand how i'm supposed to approach it, i think.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, it looks perfectly fine. I'll wait and see, but artsy fartsy indie games are a dime a dozen now. I have a pretty good sense at this point in my life for what kind of poo poo I'll vibe with and, assuming it doesn't have some particularly distinguishing feature like god-tier use of writing (Disco) or music (Nier) or whatever, I'm bound to gravitate to games that look like they have great gamefeel rather than a contemplation piece with a cell chaded color palette. I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, it looks perfectly fine. I'll wait and see, but artsy fartsy indie games are a dime a dozen now. I have a pretty good sense at this point in my life for what kind of poo poo I'll vibe with and, assuming it doesn't have some particularly distinguishing feature like god-tier use of writing (Disco) or music (Nier) or whatever, I'm bound to gravitate to games that look like they have great gamefeel rather than a contemplation piece with a cell chaded color palette. I'm an rear end in a top hat.

:same:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

it was just the right amount of pressure i needed to pick it up again bc i had been meaning to. all the praise on this forum has me convinced it'll be something i like once it clicks for me.

i went hours and hours playing and hating and posting about playing and hating bloodborne before it clicked and i finally got it. it's not that i *hate* DE or OW they're just not my typical pace or involvement level. i'm committed to giving it a fair shake :)

having it described as a choose your own adventure interactive political spectrum test helps me better understand how i'm supposed to approach it, i think.

Disco is a special game. I thought it was kind of hard to get used to, it's not really a game genre I dabble in usually. Also, I think it's a hard game to describe to people because the precise moment where it affects the player on a profound level is probably different for everybody. It's just a very intimate yet universal experience and if you look long enough you're bound to find something that just takes the wind right out of your lungs.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I should get back to my authoritarian meathead playthrough of DE sometime. I saved just after you step outside the hotel for the first time and was delighted by how the descriptions of the area that all seemed like so much fluff the first time were spelling out major events of the game, but in a way you wouldn't recognize yet.

It really is the best written game I've ever played :allears:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Asking "should I go mask off facist in Disco Elysium" does not feel good in this, the year of the JRPG.

OTOH, I really want to gently caress Cuno up. (reads spoilers) No, not like that.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I hit Cuno. I was never punished for it in any way. AMA.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have three playthroughs of Disco Elysium planned out (actual detective, psychic mental case, fascist shithead) but haven’t even done one yet

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
If someone buys me a VR2, I'll send them a picture of my butthole.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My own playthorufh of disco elysium was sorry cop

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Same, and it felt complete. Not gonna do another run, I don't want my feelings to change.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I will send a picture of my butthole to every person in the world who doesn’t contribute to the kazza PSVR2 fund

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I just finished FF2. I am not the hugest fan of the combat in that game, like I get how it is trying something new and I appreciate it for that but in the end it did involve me generally just attacking over and over (it was the most efficient thing to do...).

I really enjoyed the story though! It's nothing super complex by today's standards but as a step up from the original game it's really great! There are actual characters that I grew to care about, there were cutscenes, people died, there's almost a set up for another game that will never happen. I really enjoyed it and think it's really an achievement for the time the game originally released! :D

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Where is casnorf, I just saw this screenshot which reminded me of them

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get back in the discord and find out

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Been getting these recs for awhile and it always makes my eyes roll backwards but they finally hit peak and all is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyz4IA9oHC0

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

when is goldeneye com,jng out on xbox and switch

By the end of this month.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

By the end of this month.

thank u

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A while back I think I mentioned that the Hori Stick Alpha didn't seem to work with its PS5 mode the way I was expecting it to, but it seems the issue I ran into was with the game and not with the stick. For some reason, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (at the time the only game I had a PS5 version of that wasn't a fighting game and also you'd expect to be D-Pad playable) doesn't work with non-DualSense controllers, including for the buttons. However, I tried a bunch of other games including PS1 Classics, Cyber Shadow and the PS5 version of Shredder's Revenge, and they all worked as expected with the Hori Stick Alpha; they were playable with the PS5 mode active, but not with the PS4 mode active.

Native PS5 controller options from third parties are still a bit thin on the ground and typically expensive, although if you only care about them for fighting games, licensed PS4 fight sticks will work with PS5 versions of fighting games (note that other controller types like the earlier Hori Fighting Commander for PS4 won't work), and basically all licensed PS4 controllers of any kind will work on PS5 if you play them with the PS4 version of a fighting game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

As someone who has played 1000s of hours of Souls games the dodge in other games always feels weird to me lol.

i only played like an hour of Nioh but I remember the dodge feeling so floaty and weightless lol

ShoogaSlim posted:

weed helps, failing that its just the kind of game you want to have a good few hours available to play with so you can sit down and really absorb things

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man I'm glad I decided to play the God of War from a few years ago before jumping into ragnarok. This is a gorgeous game, and the level design (dead giant) is loving incredible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

Been getting these recs for awhile and it always makes my eyes roll backwards but they finally hit peak and all is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyz4IA9oHC0

the gently caress....

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I started HFW over from scratch. Bought it on release day and like everyone else, Elden Ring completely knocked it out of rotation until I couldn't remember where I was in the story anymore.

I also thought the boss fights were more annoying than fun. I'm constantly losing sight of some giant robot and turning around frantically to find them (the giant snake comes to mind. I hated that fight). So this time around I put the difficulty at normal and I'm putting points into melee and using the shortrange bow more. I really don't understand why this game can't have a lock-on camera while not aiming the bow. Or give me on-screen indicators for where things are outside my field of vision. I know you want to think your 3d sound tech is lifechanging but it isn't. Games still need to supplement with onscreen indicators to simulate what your actual hearing would be like in the game.

So far I'm having more fun than my first playthrough, though, which was a lot of sneaking around until I get caught and battling to survive. The game is so loving pretty. I really wish games could get better acting though. These cutscenes are really cringey and Ashley Burch is competent but very boring to listen to. The supporting cast is the same, everything sounds disjointed and like they aren't in the same room with each other (which is probably the case). I'll chalk that up to bad directing though, not acting. God of War spoiled me.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

the gently caress....

"Its how i would do it"