Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
those mans nails should be seized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kunster posted:

Shoutouts to the people who spent years banging about the "Lula is corrupt!!! why did you free him" drum and constantly screamed on how he was overly paranoid now writing "The case in Brazil means they should have shot everyone on sight and give cops more guns to prosecute those responsible". I mean I wouldn't hold my breath on all of the poo poo getting thrown back at them or, gasp, getting dragged to the brazilian embassy to answer for that poo poo, but at least some sort of shame on their faces over this would be nice. At least Ventura bothered to point out it was a mistake by the right rather than try to pass the back to "crazies" or ask the people who let the capitol rioters in to get more guns and more "leglislative freedom". Jesus.

insAllah

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/Metropoles/status/1612470401656922114

in opposite world, military coronel trying to stop the military police from arresting the invaders in the palace

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

frajaq posted:

Hearing talks about federal CONCENTRATION CAMPS they're putting people on, any patriots here confirm?

https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1612523115765964800?s=46&t=Ba1wOL50-31PpJEEcpIlpQ

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Plutonis posted:

lmao i legit hope this is a psyop to get those dumbasses to bankrupt themselves
translated

quote:

citizen's rule for legality

1- withdraw ALL RESOURCES from BANKS (convert to dollar or gold)
2- DO NOT PAY any TAX
3- DO NOT use debit, credit or PIX CARDS (only use CASH)
4- DO NOT PAY debts with the FINANCIAL SYSTEM or CREDIT CARDS
5- REFUEL the car only once every 2 weeks, at the most
6- Go to the market with lists, buying ONLY the ESSENTIALS
7- DO NOT CONSUME, save as much light, water, gas and fuel as possible
8- STORE MEDICINE and non-perishable FOOD for at least 30 days
9- DO NOT TRAVEL (Only to Brasilia)
10- STAY in front of the QUARTERS

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oglethorpe posted:

translated

Quartéis means Army Bases, not Quarters.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Also jesus christ one of the columnists at a major newspaper said this about Lula's cabinet: "We may have indians, blacks and poors making up most of the population but it seems forced to make them the face of our nation. Those people gave me a terrible impression."

https://twitter.com/antoniotabet/status/1611356632369491968

Ah, Estado de Minas.

I don't know anyone under 75 who reads this. It's always read like it was caught in a time loop and never progressed beyond 1964.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's something poetic that the Senate Library was the only place that was untouched.

https://nitter.kavin.rocks/AndreBorges_JOR/status/1612475221247725569

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
PMDF commander and former Bolsonaro's justice minister, Anderson Torres, who had his arrest ordered today, met with Bolsonaro in the USA a day before the attacks:
https://twitter.com/UOLNoticias/status/1612899497054552065

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/choquei/status/1612563185260982274

lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/AndreJanonesAdv/status/1612929423904501760?cxt=HHwWgMDT-f2wo-IsAAAA

Janones beastmode

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm a little skeptical of the CIA angle just because this was so chaotic and stupid

Not that the CIA doesn't poo poo the bed in all sorts of ways, but this just feels like the kind of populist movement that the Yale psychos hate.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it seems more like brazilian butifel boaters tried to cargo cult their idols' rioting.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
We call them belos barqueiros, actually

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://twitter.com/revistaforum/status/1612895456501047313

There's scammers ripping fash on false bail requests lmfao loving love my country

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
jeitinho brasileiro in everything, even coup attempts

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm a little skeptical of the CIA angle just because this was so chaotic and stupid

Not that the CIA doesn't poo poo the bed in all sorts of ways, but this just feels like the kind of populist movement that the Yale psychos hate.

What CIA angle? If anything, the CIA is reported to have warned them that this time they would not support any funny business

edit: a source

https://www.cnnbrasil.com.br/politica/diretor-da-cia-pediu-a-governo-bolsonaro-para-nao-interferir-nas-eleicoes-dizem-fontes/

edit 2:

brazilian soldiers completely lost and confused during the invasions

https://twitter.com/reporterenato/status/1613128233066659840

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 12:41 on Jan 11, 2023

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

It's my feeling that the US likes to work through organizations. The military or opposition parties for example. It definitely wouldn't be unprecedented for them to foment unrest like this, but the fact that this wasn't followed up with an organized coup from the military, indicates that this was probably just the work of some largely unorganized shitbrained chuds and their police sympathizers.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the US also generally likes to back winners (they only supported Guaido because he successfully convinced them he had both much more popular support than he actually did and the support of most of the military), and are more than happy to hang even strongly pro-US movements out to dry if it looks like they're going to lose

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If the military felt they had even a tiny bit of support from the USA this coup would have happened already

Thing is: Bolsonaro is so evil and dumb and unpredictable and, above all, was so eager to please Trump, he went out of his way to make Biden his enemy. And than when his idol was definitely out, he tried to make friends with Putin, who currently wants nothing to do with him either

So we have this unique situation where Washington actually prefers Lula

The military definitely wants to coup, even now they are still barely hiding it. But they are pragmatic enough to understand it would be doomed without any international support

But Bolsonaro gonna Bolsonaro and so tried to force their hands anyway

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

brazilian soldiers completely lost and confused during the invasions

https://twitter.com/reporterenato/status/1613128233066659840

Uhhh hahaha what the gently caress?

Aren't there officers supposed to be nearby giving orders?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/SolVeravieiraa/status/1612627570620780547

lmaaaao you can even gis the img to find the original stock img they used

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
To add to what I was saying, the situation inside the military is not simple either

Theres is not enough unity for a coup, but large parts of the military, of all ranks, are bolsonaristas. Bolsonaro is their project, is of them; Bolsonaro employed thousands of military in his government; Bolsonaro campaigned among the military non stop for this last 5 years (when he did baffling stuff like flying to the middle of the jungle to give a speech for the inauguration of a small wooden bridge built by the army, thats what he was doing).

So is not easy for the military now to just say "nope" to the bolsonaristas or even worst, turn against them

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Honest Thief posted:

graphic design is my passion

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Re USA's potential involvement, I get the feeling they would just prefer stability in Latin America right now, they've got too much else going on.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yup. The US doesn't like Lula, but Bozo has shown himself to be idiotically unamanageable.

He was all up Trump's rear end, then directly antagonized Biden, got chummy with Putin and just paved the way to undo all the careful plans they had made to eject labor in the continent and place another friendly PSDB-style neoliberal vassal in charge here.

So the CIA is likely just waiting and seeing if a better candidate pops up. Let Lula sweat to try and get things back in order; he'll either retire or die in a few years, then they can rehabilitate Aécio or start another anti-corruption movement to place some technocrat in power.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Woke up to yet another "Ok Lula should have had everyone shot but we shouldn't censor extreme right wing parties" article, which is like, remarkably stupid and vile.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Honest Thief posted:

https://twitter.com/SolVeravieiraa/status/1612627570620780547

and now she's just another number on victims of communism

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sephyr posted:

Yup. The US doesn't like Lula, but Bozo has shown himself to be idiotically unamanageable.

He was all up Trump's rear end, then directly antagonized Biden, got chummy with Putin and just paved the way to undo all the careful plans they had made to eject labor in the continent and place another friendly PSDB-style neoliberal vassal in charge here.

So the CIA is likely just waiting and seeing if a better candidate pops up. Let Lula sweat to try and get things back in order; he'll either retire or die in a few years, then they can rehabilitate Aécio or start another anti-corruption movement to place some technocrat in power.

He is reported to have asked Putin for support for his coup (since he knew he would not get anything from the USA) and was completely ignored

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Is it true that Bolsonaro passed a strict law recently that targeted demonstrations that cause property damage?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

He is reported to have asked Putin for support for his coup (since he knew he would not get anything from the USA) and was completely ignored

Russian relations with Brazil got seriously much better (not that they were bad they were just... neutral?) during Lula's first tenure, we had a serious trade gain with them that only got better until bozotime, because obv "COMMUNISM" and florida lifestyle as an ideal meant that Russia was a menace to Brazil and lmao

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This is pretty good

https://twitter.com/eixopolitico/status/1613607422827847681

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
His lawyer says that a guest gave it to him, and out of politeness, he didn't throw it away.

Checks out.

"Oh, those bomb schematics? My nephew left them here and I was going to put them in the garbage, but I can never tell if it goes in recyclables or regular trash!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Another big news is that one of the biggest retail companies here, Americanas, was found out to be on the hole for 20 billion reais... And their holding company has a market value of 10 billion, without counting the stock price now dropping like crazy.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Sephyr posted:

His lawyer says that a guest gave it to him, and out of politeness, he didn't throw it away.

Checks out.

"Oh, those bomb schematics? My nephew left them here and I was going to put them in the garbage, but I can never tell if it goes in recyclables or regular trash!"

You sure it wasn't an infiltered leftist? Lmao

Lula should use this to chop some drat heads

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Sephyr posted:

they can rehabilitate Aécio

Marco Ruffalo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Theres is not enough unity for a coup, but large parts of the military, of all ranks, are bolsonaristas. Bolsonaro is their project, is of them; Bolsonaro employed thousands of military in his government; Bolsonaro campaigned among the military non stop for this last 5 years (when he did baffling stuff like flying to the middle of the jungle to give a speech for the inauguration of a small wooden bridge built by the army, thats what he was doing).

Didn't Bolsonaro do a lot of stuff that alienated the military, or at least the generals?

joepinetree posted:

The institutions in Brazil who might support a coup are all extremely beholden to foreign institutions. The Brazilian military wouldn't do a coup without explicit backing from the US. And Bolsonaro was so loving stupid that he transformed subtext into text.

Biden came into office trying hard to rehabilitate Bolsonaro. Biden's advisors still celebrate Lava Jato as a resounding anti-corruption success, still wanted Lula to be in prison. But Bolsonaro was just too loving stupid to take advantage of it. Biden wanted to do an Amazon summit with Bolsonaro. All he had to do is show up, talk about how he shared their concerns, and do nothing. Biden even praised how Bolsonaro was handing the Amazon. But instead Bolsonaro told Biden to butt off and that he'd go to war if Washington wanted to intervene. Then Biden offered a partnership between Brazil and NATO, but instead the dumbass Bolsonaro asked Biden, in an open meeting, to interfere in this year's elections. And after Biden went "oh we could never do that" Bolsonaro then started on the whole "Trump was the real winner." This pretty much ended any possibility of the US discretely intervening in Brazil like they did 2016-2018. There would be no plausible deniability. And as such it is unlikely to happen, because if there is one thing Brazilian military brass fears is losing their perks of cooperation with the US.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just because he tries to pander to the military doesn't mean he's necessarily any good at it. Not surprising that he misses where the actual power is. Apparently he's popular mostly with the do-nothing failsons.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dudu (Bolso's third son) just fled to Dubai.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmao, he named his kid dudu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

lmao, he named his kid dudu.

Eduardo, Dudu is a nickname!