Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Reaction videos are the dumbest thing the internet has ever spit out. I’m so god drat tired of looking up some video and there’s some dumbass in split screen just watching it eating some food or drinking something and laughing or acting surprised or whatever at the video. It literally adds nothing and just makes me want to not watch said video.

I’m usually pretty non-caring when it comes to whatever the new trend is but whenever I see a reaction video it sends me into a white hot rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It gets worse, I've seen reaction to reaction videos, so the video you want to watch is reduced to a tiny part of the screen. I don't give a poo poo about your ugly mug I'm just trying to watch the funny video ffs.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I remember the first time I realized "reaction videos" were not just a weird trend but an incredibly popular and lucrative career direction. I just don't get you kids these days :corsair:

Reaction videos, video game streams with someone's face taking up a quarter of the screen, that YouTube editing that cuts out any and all pauses and moment someone is not talking or doing something, videos of one person talking to another person that is just themselves... it's all baffling to me. I don't get it. This must be what my grandparents felt when I tried to show them how cool Cartman's song about Kyle's mom is.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

credburn posted:

I remember the first time I realized "reaction videos" were not just a weird trend but an incredibly popular and lucrative career direction. I just don't get you kids these days :corsair:

Reaction videos, video game streams with someone's face taking up a quarter of the screen, that YouTube editing that cuts out any and all pauses and moment someone is not talking or doing something, videos of one person talking to another person that is just themselves... it's all baffling to me. I don't get it. This must be what my grandparents felt when I tried to show them how cool Cartman's song about Kyle's mom is.

it's ersatz watching poo poo with a friend. like how some people put on mukbang videos when they're eating to feel less alone

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

credburn posted:

Happens to all of us eventually

Kids have been the dumbest, most boring motherfuckers on earth since the dawn of time. The dumb, boring kids watching two videos at once of people talking about different videos will eventually age and be completely floored at whatever inexplicable stupid poo poo the next generation chooses to do

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

credburn posted:

The video game streams are the ones I don't get. I'll watch some 10 or so minute gameplay videos to see if it's a game I want to play. If you've watched someone play a video game for over an hour, just go play the game yourself :corsair:

I figure this is how my grandparents felt when I was telling them about Transformers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

The video game streams are the ones I don't get. I'll watch some 10 or so minute gameplay videos to see if it's a game I want to play. If you've watched someone play a video game for over an hour, just go play the game yourself :corsair:

I figure this is how my grandparents felt when I was telling them about Transformers.

I get game streams somewhat. Maybe you can’t afford the game or maybe it’s something like a horror game where you’re too much of a baby for the immersion of playing it yourself but can handle it better in this format.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Game streams have grown on me more, but recorded ones on YouTube edited down to the meat, not meandering live streams. Handy to throw on a spare monitor at work and half watch/listen to gauge whether I want to get a game, pick up tips, etc.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Even worse are the people fawning over them in the comments, and voluntarily throwing considerable amounts of money at them. That genuinely baffles and appalls me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I get why people watch video game streams where the person's face is there and they're talking the whole time. I personally just find it extremely unappealing.

I do watch video game longplays, though, with no commentary. Sometimes it's an old familiar game I just like having in the background (FFVII, say) but other times it's like fuckin Prey, a game I like and want to experience but find it frustrating and annoying and obnoxious to play myself.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Iron Crowned posted:

There's games I find a lot more fun to watch than to play (Zelda games are a big one), and a good lper/steamer adds a lot of entertainment themselves.

You might as well ask why people watch sports instead of going outside to play football themselves.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also if I’m trying to answer the question “will I enjoy this video game if I purchase it?” a 30-minute YouTube video helps a lot more than dozens of text reviews.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

I get game streams somewhat. Maybe you can’t afford the game or maybe it’s something like a horror game where you’re too much of a baby for the immersion of playing it yourself but can handle it better in this format.

The secret is it's not about the game. It's fun to listen to music and poo poo out chat with your friends. Some people make fun emojis. Some people are just funny. Some people aren't, and you simply ban them from your chat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

videos of one person talking to another person that is just themselves
You mean like this? It's just a way to film a skit without needing a second person to act in it.

The Perfect Element posted:

Even worse are the people fawning over them in the comments, and voluntarily throwing considerable amounts of money at them. That genuinely baffles and appalls me.
It's just paying for entertainment. Like buying tickets, subscriptions and merchandise for music, sports, movies, etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

You mean like this? It's just a way to film a skit without needing a second person to act in it.

It's just paying for entertainment. Like buying tickets, subscriptions and merchandise for music, sports, movies, etc.

I think the confusion is about how this is a source of entertainment worth paying for. Ultimately it’s just different strokes, of course.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

I guess because when I see something like that, what my brain is telling me is that the joke is that it's obviously the same person. But that isn't the joke; it's just a format.

In a weird way, it's kind of like when I see memes that are really low-quality MS paint jobs. My brain is telling me the joke is that it's an obviously extremely low-effort MS paint thing, but again that's not the joke, or at least no longer is; it's just another format to convey something.

I mean, so I get it, mechanically. I just find it bland and I would say unoriginal except gently caress everything today feels like it's all just slightly improved variations of someone else's popular idea.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Iron Crowned posted:

Sometimes games are bad to actually play but they're so bad it's funny, or maybe they have terrible controls so they're no actual fun to play but they have merit in some other area, or they're so old they don't run on a modern operating system so you'd have to jump through a ton of hoops to get them to run. I've got something like Realms of the Haunting in mind here.

I do agree though, I don't think I'd ever watch videos of a game I could just play for myself, except for something like Sekiro where I'm stuck on a boss and want to see how other people do it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Tiggum posted:

Yes, but unless you're paying for exclusive paid-only content, you're just needlessly throwing money at someone who's already making bank through ad revenue anyway.

I guess it just doesn't compute, for me, that someone would happily pay like £5 a month to some obnoxious douchebag to make YouTube videos rather than just fuckin giving it to WaterAid or whatever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yes, but unless you're paying for exclusive paid-only content, you're just needlessly throwing money at someone who's already making bank through ad revenue anyway.
That's why I torrent all my TV shows, but I don't know what it's got to do with streamers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I guess it just doesn't compute, for me, that someone would happily pay like £5 a month to some obnoxious douchebag to make YouTube videos rather than just fuckin giving it to WaterAid or whatever.

I think the people who give money to content creators don't think of them as obnoxious douchebags.

Errrr well, actually that is why a lot of people donate to certain influencers, I guess.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

credburn posted:

gently caress everything today feels like it's all just slightly improved variations of someone else's popular idea.

It's because it is, very few people are coming up with anything original & it's way easier to copy someone else, then modify it slightly. Look at all the gaming YT channels, then look at the unnerving rabbit hole of people doing reaction videos, then people doing reactions of reactions of reactions until it's like Inception with mentally handicapped hyenas fake laughing or acting smug.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This Discord update notification:

Lucky day? Who the gently caress thinks that having to install an update is a good thing? No one likes updates!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

every day is miserable if you are running linux instead of the far superior windows operating system by microsoft

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Iron Crowned posted:

The two game streamers I follow primarily play racing games, and sometimes I'm a part of it, and there's both a social (the other regulars) and parasocial (the streamers) aspect to it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

credburn posted:

I guess because when I see something like that, what my brain is telling me is that the joke is that it's obviously the same person. But that isn't the joke; it's just a format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SN8oYGMIGw

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tiggum posted:

This Discord update notification:

Lucky day? Who the gently caress thinks that having to install an update is a good thing? No one likes updates!

I love running updates, but only if they have progress bars

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Like, that's kind of funny but you know what else just annoys the hell out of me is this style of absolutely no dead air whatsoever. I know that's part of the gimmick, but it sounds awful to me. It sounds unnatural and makes me feel uncomfortable in a way that I think like vocal fry irritates some people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s made for an app that can only be less than a minute long.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Everyone knows about Google searches being garbage but the real crime is what they did to Gmail search. I can search for any word or phrase and the results inevitably include every synonym, every alternate spelling, every synonym of those alternate spellings, and, gently caress it, let's just assume I misspelled my search term and really wanted to write any other word that shares 51% of the letters you used.

A lot of this could actually be helpful if the results were weighted by usefulness, but they are instead provided in the same reverse chronological order as my inbox. Either I have to spend a bunch of time clicking past useless results or a bunch of time fiddling with the advanced options and redoing the search with the words in quotation marks. Web search is bad at least partly because of SEO but Gmail search being lovely is entirely Google's fault.

(Outlook actually does the "these messages seem like the most likely results" thing but the Outlook algorithm seems to be "pick two of the five most recent emails plus something at random from the archives" so it's not really any better.)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I am constantly amazed by how much gmail search sucks. I went to all the work of remembering a relatively unique keyword in the email I want to find, why are you showing me every other possible variation of that word or things that mean basically the same thing??

Weirdly my personal gmail on my phone seems to be ok at only bringing up emails with the exact word, but my work email is hopeless.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply not use the ineffective email

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Shibawanko posted:

every day is miserable if you are running linux instead of the far superior windows operating system by microsoft

Windows is real bad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Windows ARE real bad.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bargearse posted:

Windows is real

, and strong, and it's my friend

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Brawnfire posted:

Windows ARE real bad.

:hmmyes:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Windows am okay.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Brawnfire posted:

Windows ARE real bad.

confirmed

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I don't like it when people think the sauce jus is called au jus. "Sandwich with au jus". Sandwich with with juice?! Dumb.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I don't like it when people think the sauce jus is called au jus. "Sandwich with au jus". Sandwich with with juice?! Dumb.
Strong opinions about the hoi polloi :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

lavaca posted:

Everyone knows about Google searches being garbage but the real crime is what they did to Gmail search. I can search for any word or phrase and the results inevitably include every synonym, every alternate spelling, every synonym of those alternate spellings, and, gently caress it, let's just assume I misspelled my search term and really wanted to write any other word that shares 51% of the letters you used.

A lot of this could actually be helpful if the results were weighted by usefulness, but they are instead provided in the same reverse chronological order as my inbox. Either I have to spend a bunch of time clicking past useless results or a bunch of time fiddling with the advanced options and redoing the search with the words in quotation marks. Web search is bad at least partly because of SEO but Gmail search being lovely is entirely Google's fault.

(Outlook actually does the "these messages seem like the most likely results" thing but the Outlook algorithm seems to be "pick two of the five most recent emails plus something at random from the archives" so it's not really any better.)

Gmail search has the same rules as google search. If you want something specific, put it in quotes. If you’re getting a lot of results that have something in it you don’t want, use -(word) to force a removal of that word or phrase.

Here’s a list of the different operators to make your search easier: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433