Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I was told february would be shipments, so unless the transfer of product to fulfillment centers fucks up, we should get them at the estimated time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I got my stack of MPC foils to see how they look. All the ABUR duals in a variety of styles plus some staples. They're nice, no pringles here. But they're also a little dark, so while the foiling itself is vibrant, the card underneath can be muddy. If I did it again I think I would manually crank up the brightness of the cards to compensate.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jorath posted:

I got mine by subscribing to Craig's List posts for 'card catalog'. Took about a year before it came up, and I contacted the seller every day for a week before he sold it to me
It was part of an estate he bought. He had another with 2x the capacity, but it was wide instead of tall, so I passed on it.
I paid $800 10 years ago. I've seen the same one on eBay since then for $3k.
I've since signed up for alerts on eBay which I check daily, trying to find replacements for the mis-matched drawers. No luck after 5+ years, although I did find & buy an additional module that holds deck boxes perfectly in the 3 drawers.
If you find one on eBay you'll pay a premium, and most are local-pickup only.
If you really want one, find out where your local antique stores are and go talk to them. If you tell them that you're in the market, you might get a call in a year from one of them.

Thanks for this. It was always just one of those dream things, but now as an adult with disposable income I'm going to give finding one a shot.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I need to improve my storage. I use colored binders for everything. Each color has multiple binders of that color, roughly separated by periods of time and each alphabetized. Then separate folders for lands, artifacts, gold cards, plus a foils binder. It’s not bad, but I’m thinking I need to either more clearly define the time periods of the various binders or mix them all together and go whole-hog on every color being fully alphabetical and just dividing it up with, like a Red A-F binder, a Red G-P binder, a Red R-Z binder etc.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Serf posted:

I got my stack of MPC foils to see how they look. All the ABUR duals in a variety of styles plus some staples. They're nice, no pringles here. But they're also a little dark, so while the foiling itself is vibrant, the card underneath can be muddy. If I did it again I think I would manually crank up the brightness of the cards to compensate.

i was upset when my foils came out a bit dark. i think I will have to re-do it again, but maybe increase the brightness on the card images before sending it over to MPC and that should do the trick.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Aren't official foils printed where either the darks or lights are subtracted to give way for the foiling effect? I think I've seen some of them peeled for card alters and it seemed like ink was selectively applied

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

All i know are the foils are printed for curling.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dizz posted:

i was upset when my foils came out a bit dark. i think I will have to re-do it again, but maybe increase the brightness on the card images before sending it over to MPC and that should do the trick.

I probably won't be getting foils again, but I will be doing double-sided cards next order. More of a pain in the rear end, but worth it to potentially double the number of decks.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Serf posted:

I probably won't be getting foils again, but I will be doing double-sided cards next order. More of a pain in the rear end, but worth it to potentially double the number of decks.

It's a good way to power up or down a deck for your tables depending on what you need. I should do that some day.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I played with someone a couple weeks ago who had a fun idea for his GB reanimator deck (I'm not sure if it's his idea, per se, but it was the first I had seen it). He had a block of ~20 reanimation targets in his 99. He had ~40 creatures sleeved up though, so every time he plays the deck he shuffled up the creature block and adds 20 at random. It seemed like a fun way to add variability to a deck archetype that can get very linear, or you could deliberately pick different sets of creatures to tune the power level.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

I played with someone a couple weeks ago who had a fun idea for his GB reanimator deck (I'm not sure if it's his idea, per se, but it was the first I had seen it). He had a block of ~20 reanimation targets in his 99. He had ~40 creatures sleeved up though, so every time he plays the deck he shuffled up the creature block and adds 20 at random. It seemed like a fun way to add variability to a deck archetype that can get very linear, or you could deliberately pick different sets of creatures to tune the power level.

I built mono-black with something like 120 nonland cards in a few packages that I would swap out whenever I felt like, and I had 5-6 commanders sleeved up to pick from at random. This was in 2011 or so and it was really fun to play because the commanders were so different (shirei, endrek sahr, skithiryx).

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Railing Kill posted:

I do the same with the dragons in my 5c dragon deck, it's fun

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Played my first game of commander today, and first game in the last, probably since 2006? Game. I had the Imperium deck and my coworker had the tyranid deck, man that tyranid deck is nasty, I couldn't really gain any ground, even with my coworker helping point out things to me I wasn't noticing. Was fun though, wish it had come with separate health and commander damage values, back in the day we just managed one health pool

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Khanstant posted:

Aren't official foils printed where either the darks or lights are subtracted to give way for the foiling effect? I think I've seen some of them peeled for card alters and it seemed like ink was selectively applied

Maybe in the past. They don't seem to be printed to any kind of standard nowadays. You can look at three different foil prints and get three very different looking cards.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Railing Kill posted:

This is a really cool idea, hopefully I can do something similar to my dino deck if they print many cool new dinos in the new ixalan set in a year or so.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Played my first game of commander today, and first game in the last, probably since 2006? Game. I had the Imperium deck and my coworker had the tyranid deck, man that tyranid deck is nasty, I couldn't really gain any ground, even with my coworker helping point out things to me I wasn't noticing. Was fun though, wish it had come with separate health and commander damage values, back in the day we just managed one health pool

The Imperium deck has an incredible endgame, but unless you happen to draw very well it takes a long time to get there. The other decks are much more consistent in my experience

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Imperium deck has an incredible endgame, but unless you happen to draw very well it takes a long time to get there. The other decks are much more consistent in my experience

Yeah, I could see some cool things it would do but I couldn't really combo anything because i either had too many high cost cards, or I didn't have the other half of the combo and no other cards to get it out onto the table with what I had, so I felt like I was just floundering.

Then he put out another one of those tyranids that are meant to wipe the board on summon, which it did after I had put out a bunch of soldier and zephyr sister tokens and was like "yeah I'm finally getting somewhere" BOARD WIPE :argh:

But it was fine next turn I used my own board wipe to get rid of his enchantment he was using and his commander (which he then brought back the following turn anyways and now it was a 10/10) :geno:

By that time I had also brought out some Titan and a knight, but I didn't have the creatures to man them so it was almost worthless.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Tyranid deck is a lot better if you use the alternative commander, fwiw, so you could have been beaten down even more :v:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Buddy gave me a Brothers' War gift box. Got excited when I opened an old frame Sundering Titan only to remember it's banned in Commander.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I have not seriously played Magic in like, twelve years or so, and a friend recently dragged me back into the game (and wants me to build a commander deck).

If I’m building Orzhov, what options should I be looking at for land / mana generation? Any useful / cool stuff I’ve missed over the past decade+?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Vandar posted:

I have not seriously played Magic in like, twelve years or so, and a friend recently dragged me back into the game (and wants me to build a commander deck).

If I’m building Orzhov, what options should I be looking at for land / mana generation? Any useful / cool stuff I’ve missed over the past decade+?

Orzhov Signet, Talisman of Hierarchy, Arcane Talisman, and Fellwar Stone are all two mana to cast and produce color mana. Ebony Fly, Liquimetal Torque, Mind Stone, and Thought Vessel also cost two mana to cast but produce colorless mana. Then there's good ol' Sol Ring. Star Compass and Coldsteel Heart cost two mana and tap for color mana, but come into play tapped (which might not be a big deal).

Depending on budget, there are a lot of staples in White and Black to look at. Stuff like Esper Sentinel and Smothering Tithe. Archivist of Oghma and Deep Gnome Terramancer might be good, depending on your play group. Black will have the best tutors, but how many you have in the deck will also increase how consistent the deck is, and your friends might be playing less focused decks.

Do you have a BW commander in mind?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Don't forget Everflowing Chalice in your list of "2 mana" rocks. It was never too expensive but it's been reprinted into the ground, so that's nice. I also think the Diamond cycle (Marble and Charcoal for BW) are okay in 2 color. However, they come into play tapped and way more untapped colorless versions have been getting printed in the last few years so they might not be necessary unless you're super hungry for colored mana.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Don't sleep on Ornithopter of Paradise either

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Orzhov Signet, Talisman of Hierarchy, Arcane Talisman, and Fellwar Stone are all two mana to cast and produce color mana. Ebony Fly, Liquimetal Torque, Mind Stone, and Thought Vessel also cost two mana to cast but produce colorless mana. Then there's good ol' Sol Ring. Star Compass and Coldsteel Heart cost two mana and tap for color mana, but come into play tapped (which might not be a big deal).

Depending on budget, there are a lot of staples in White and Black to look at. Stuff like Esper Sentinel and Smothering Tithe. Archivist of Oghma and Deep Gnome Terramancer might be good, depending on your play group. Black will have the best tutors, but how many you have in the deck will also increase how consistent the deck is, and your friends might be playing less focused decks.

Do you have a BW commander in mind?

By Arcane Talisman, did you mean Arcane Signet? If not then that's also one to consider.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

serefin99 posted:

By Arcane Talisman, did you mean Arcane Signet? If not then that's also one to consider.

I did mean Arcane Signet, lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

After playing in my second cEDH tournament I can pretty safely say it is my least favorite way to play Magic. I would probably just stop doing it, but the cEDH push came alongside the push for proxies, which lets me play casual Commander the way I want to, so I'll keep doing it for now since it's just one weekend out of the month. Other people seemed to enjoy themselves, so that's cool with me. I used a Prosper deck and I think I'll stick with it and just do my best not to sandbag.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

If you've crossed the proxy bridge just start pushing for Canlander.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah cEDH makes no sense to me. It's like anti-Magic, like they took all the most unpleasant parts of the game and distilled them down to its most perfect form.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What I like about cEDH is that everyone seems to be on the same page about what to expect when you all sit down to play. Less likely to get upset about what anyone else is playing if you're all just playing for the win.

Unless someone is playing Krark + Sakashima. I would rather eat a bullet.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

what i like about cedh is that it's held up by like maybe 20 cards and they all cry for a sol ring ban

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

Yeah cEDH makes no sense to me. It's like anti-Magic, like they took all the most unpleasant parts of the game and distilled them down to its most perfect form.

:chloe:

It... It operates under the same expectations of almost every other format.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Heath posted:

I won't knock the format, I can see how it would appeal to people, I'm just not one of them.

Although it did leave a sour taste in my mouth to see the tournament organizer pressure a random person who had just picked up their first starter deck (Emmara) into joining the tournament because then we would have an even 12 people. He got either ignored or ruthlessly shut down in every game and had just a miserable experience to the point where he told me he didn't want to come back. I felt really bad for him and tried to persuade him to come back on a different day when we would just play casual decks.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
cEDH is fine, it's not for everyone but it has it's upsides.

Playing any version of commander in a tournament for prizes is literally hell.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Serf posted:

Although it did leave a sour taste in my mouth to see the tournament organizer pressure a random person who had just picked up their first starter deck (Emmara) into joining the tournament because then we would have an even 12 people. He got either ignored or ruthlessly shut down in every game and had just a miserable experience to the point where he told me he didn't want to come back. I felt really bad for him and tried to persuade him to come back on a different day when we would just play casual decks.

This isn't a cEDH problem, though. It's a lovely TO and lovely person problem. I've seen the same sort of thing at lovely shops, where people buying a precon get pushed into playing in the standard FNM and just dumpstered. It's a behavioral problem and not unique to cEDH at all.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

If you've crossed the proxy bridge just start pushing for Canlander.

From the mouth of babes, such wisdom.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

From the mouth of babes, such wisdom.

Don't quote your parachute account.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Toshimo posted:

This isn't a cEDH problem, though. It's a lovely TO and lovely person problem. I've seen the same sort of thing at lovely shops, where people buying a precon get pushed into playing in the standard FNM and just dumpstered. It's a behavioral problem and not unique to cEDH at all.

I don't recall saying that it was a problem exclusive to cEDH. It would have bothered me no matter the format, it just happened to be this one.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Framboise posted:

:chloe:

It... It operates under the same expectations of almost every other format.

But if I try to win then maybe my friends who agreed to play a multiplayer game with only one winner won't like me

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tarnop posted:

But if I try to win then maybe my friends who agreed to play a multiplayer game with only one winner won't like me

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The thread has been through this song and dance many times. Let me cut to the chase:

The cEDH players like their format and aren't going to change their minds. The casuals like their format and aren't going to change their minds. This is because it is an issue of the players' preferences, not any inherent fault of either version of EDH. Personally, I've kind of drifted to a spot between them over the years as my card selection has improved. I don't like four hour battlecruiser casual games, but I'm never going to go all-in on cEDH because I don't like playing linear decks that go off early and the same way every game. I want to win, but I just don't want to turn EDH into Modern. I am in it for the *~social aspect~* and the variance of a singleton format. If the only variance game to game is in what counterspells or removal is played between players, that's almost as boring to me as a four hour slog. But that's me. I see the value of cEDH even if it isn't my jam. I just refuse to play it for the same reason I quit standard and extended back in the day. I want a game with room for table politics and ebbs and flows.

I just want to avoid the perennial thread rabbit hole (that I have participated in) of trying to make pithy statements attempting to bury cEDH or casual. It can't be done, and misses the point. EDH is big enough for all styles, so while you might like it a certain way, that doesn't make other people wrong. This is not to say that anyone did that here. I'm just trying to head it off.

The lesson in Serf's specific story is what we've also seen before: players need to have quick, simple conversations in good faith about cEDH vs casual, and shun players that defy the table agreement. I feel bad for that new player. Whoever let them sit down with a loving precon at a cEDH table (let alone cajoled them into buying it!) should get the cold shoulder from anyone who isn't an rear end in a top hat. If one of them was the TO, then go elsewhere. Demand better. Wouldn't you rather make do playing pickup games with pals over having a regular but toxic place to play? Tournament EDH, in any power level, sounds like a dumpster fire. All it takes is :10bux: worth of prize support to make some players leave their ethics at the door and let poo poo like this happen. I know some folks have made tournament EDH work but it is probably awful more often than not.