Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

There's still a need for sled dogs in a future where we have the technology to colonise space?

Yes, and honestly that's one way Dead Space's technological future is really cool. Experts at colonizing space, hideously human at colonizing planets. In Dead Space we have the ability to TRAVEL to pretty much anywhere in the Milky Way as long as two relay points can be set up at either end, but to actually settle there takes the same effort as it does today to settle land on Earth. The SCAF have multiple ships running supplies from the orbiting fleet to the planet and back simply because it's really inefficient to feed, clothe, and house tons of people who also are exploring the Forever Arctic. They have snowcats aplenty, yes, but snowcats need fuel, and where are you going to get fuel when you are lightyears from the last source of oil?

That's why Planet Cracking exists, so that humankind can continue to live in space instead of devoting the few time and resources it has left to reinstating the lackluster ideals we currently hold and then maybe improving them. It's a terrible gridlock for our species where we never move forward, nor do we move backward, in our destruction of other entire worlds. Inequality, exploitation of the poor, bigotry, corporate overreach, end times prophesizing, you see it all over on the tiny slice of the moon you get to visit in Dead Space 3. Sled dogs still exist in the Dead Space world because its humans simply preferred to run away from the problems intrinsic to humanity forever than address them and I kind of love it for that.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that's an insanely stupid idea holy poo poo
actively makes everything worse

worse for xbox controller owners maybe. for me it would make it so that i actually know what button i need to press

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

DontMockMySmock posted:

or worse, some games display xbox controller buttons even when I'm not using controller input at all. I'm over here tryna figure out what button "(X)" is and it ends up being right mouse button or left ctrl or something.

I tried to play Dynasty Warriors 8 on PC with a controller and it was loving impossible for this reason.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Yes, and honestly that's one way Dead Space's technological future is really cool. Experts at colonizing space, hideously human at colonizing planets. In Dead Space we have the ability to TRAVEL to pretty much anywhere in the Milky Way as long as two relay points can be set up at either end, but to actually settle there takes the same effort as it does today to settle land on Earth. The SCAF have multiple ships running supplies from the orbiting fleet to the planet and back simply because it's really inefficient to feed, clothe, and house tons of people who also are exploring the Forever Arctic. They have snowcats aplenty, yes, but snowcats need fuel, and where are you going to get fuel when you are lightyears from the last source of oil?

That's why Planet Cracking exists, so that humankind can continue to live in space instead of devoting the few time and resources it has left to reinstating the lackluster ideals we currently hold and then maybe improving them. It's a terrible gridlock for our species where we never move forward, nor do we move backward, in our destruction of other entire worlds. Inequality, exploitation of the poor, bigotry, corporate overreach, end times prophesizing, you see it all over on the tiny slice of the moon you get to visit in Dead Space 3. Sled dogs still exist in the Dead Space world because its humans simply preferred to run away from the problems intrinsic to humanity forever than address them and I kind of love it for that.

I love reading your Dead Space loredumps. Never stop.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DontMockMySmock posted:

worse for xbox controller owners maybe. for me it would make it so that i actually know what button i need to press

i play plenty of games with xbox and playstation prompts using a third party controller with a nintendo button layout that matches neither
i dont actually look at my controller while playing and both button layouts are easy to remember so it's fine

replacing the two well known standardized schemes with the random arbitrary numbers from the windows controller config would make poo poo way more confusing and harder to remember especially since they're numbered differently for every fuckin controller
like with this controller in dinput mode the face buttons are 2 1 5 4 instead of abxy which is just always going to be misleading. they're not in order and they're not even all adjacent!
and instead of "press r3" or "click the right stick" the game would now be prompting for "please press button #14"?!

in fact there are some old pc games from before xinput got standardized i guess that really do show controller prompts like that and I always hate it

RPATDO_LAMD has a new favorite as of 11:00 on Jan 13, 2023

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

In Tekken 7, there's a warm-up mode when you're looking for fights online, where you beat the hell out of an unresisting random character. However, when the system finds someone, you get the chance to yea or nay that fight. Problem is, the inputs carry over into the dialogue box so you can accidentally refuse fights when you're trying to pull off a rolling death cradle or whatever.

Also, the generic parry for low punches looks really dumb.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on are loving garbage and haven't been relevant since Xinput became a thing. I have several controllers that I can use on my PC: multiple Xbox controllers, Dual Sense, a few Switch ones, the loving Steam Controller. None of them have numbers on them, I'd have no loving idea what's button 7 or whatever on any of them.

Only utterly ancient PC controllers made for Direct Input are going to have numbers on them, or weird outliers like flight sticks. Microsoft did everyone a favour when they made Xinput and made the 360 controller the standard, now I can connect a controller to my PC and it will just loving work in almost any game without needing to do any set up.

But yeah, more games should have support for PlayStation icons, not just Xbox icons.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Somehow I imagine there might be some ridiculous rights issues with that but I don't know for sure.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

I'm surprised more devs haven't started using a 'What Controller buttons you want displayed' option. Does weird software/drivers make things harder? My bf was using a Dualshock4 for years until the start of this month because more and more games would be wonk with it for whatever reason.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PhazonLink posted:

fake e^ given the FN armor around the temples, theyre the smart kind of pacifists that attack back.

turns out adult monks have some wisdom that even the avatar as kid doesnt have, and know that absolute pacifism might be bad in some cases.

the cartoon??

or lovely m night live action movie?

The cartoon

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I use a PS4 controller and Steam successfully autodetects it and gives me the proper button icons in like one out of every five games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Veotax posted:

Microsoft did everyone a favour when they made Xinput and made the 360 controller the standard,

XInput yes, but a thing dragging down a ton of games is that they are still designing the controls around the 360s awful D-pad and bumpers.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah Steam detects and provides correct prompts for all the gamepads out there. It's up to the videogame to have correct prompts in game and I don't wanna believe it's licensing issues either.
But the industry became so dumb that I kinda do.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Croccers posted:

I'm surprised more devs haven't started using a 'What Controller buttons you want displayed' option. Does weird software/drivers make things harder? My bf was using a Dualshock4 for years until the start of this month because more and more games would be wonk with it for whatever reason.

Binary Domain was the first game i thought of when this chat came up, you can make it detect an Xbox controller with enough wizardry but the PC input prompts are godawful

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Binary Domain was the first game i thought of when this chat came up, you can make it detect an Xbox controller with enough wizardry but the PC input prompts are godawful
I remember there's a QTE near the end of the game that outright kills you if you do it wrong but the Keyboard prompts are all hosed up and wrong.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The Steam version of Final Fantasy 7 (original ofc) has button prompts based on what the buttons do, which sounds like a good idea, but e.g. a minigame tutorial will be "Press [CONFIRM], [PARTY] and [SWITCH] with the right timing" and I'm like ??? and it turns out to be, like, X, R1, Select

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember playing the DMC 3 PC port back in the day, using a keyboard, except all the prompts were for a windows controller. So it'd say "Press 1" and I'd press the '1' number key but that wasn't what they wanted.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hel posted:

XInput yes, but a thing dragging down a ton of games is that they are still designing the controls around the 360s awful D-pad and bumpers.

Holy poo poo the xbone controller feels like a mcdonalds toy, I have no idea how anyone likes to even hold that mushy thing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe if the US military / drone operators adopting the xbox controller will finally help being some standardization to the game industr- there's now n+1 standards.

(you think the DoD allows ps4 or wii pro controllers? surelly anything with a usb input is good)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I wonder how many missiles will accidentally be fired by older game nerds like me who got the Nintendo button layout deeply ingrained years before Xbox came out

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wonder how many missiles will accidentally be fired by older game nerds like me who got the Nintendo button layout deeply ingrained years before Xbox came out

Pretty sure if you remember pre-xbox times you're too old for the us military

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Playing on PC with a Switch procon is a real joy sometimes. The controls usually match the button name on the Switch controller with the functions of the same named button on the Xbox controller. This is perfect for A and B, but having, for example, X being light attack and Y being heavy attack feels super wrong on the Nintendo scheme. Then there's Yakuza: Like a Dragon, which properly reads the Switch controller but in a way that makes the controls worse. It has it properly set up so that all of the buttons match their respective directions on the combat menu, but also makes it so that Confirm and Cancel are inextricably linked to those buttons in the same positions they would be on the Xbox layout, meaning that either I have to deal with B being confirm and A being cancel, or mess up the combat menu so the right face button chooses down and the down face button chooses right.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The Dark Elves in the new GoW series are just completely unfun to fight.

I'm playing through Ragnarok right now and am cursing at this game. It's been largely enjoyable so far, but much like the first, as soon as I get to the Dark Elves I start to get frustrated.

They're such bullshit. Ranged attacks that fire multiple projectiles that create area denial orbs that will detonate. They fly around so fast that they gently caress over the lock on. One has an attack that clouds your eyes with smoke taking away your lock and largely hides them completely.

They'll block almost all of your hits, so you need to really mash L1 to break that.

Then you have the fact that the game throws 3-4 of them your way.

These things and the bipedal frogmen that shoot acid balls at you are just not fun for me.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The key to beating the dark elves is to beat the unholy hell out of them. They're weak to fists.

They're still not very fun to fight, especially the ones with that lock-on breaking smoke bomb, but the executions are satisfying and, if you're a good enough shot, can take out one or two more at the same time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Haven't played Ragnarok but the Dark Elf Lords in GoW 2018 were anti-fun and poisoned every encounter that included them. The Dark Elf King was one of the first major roadblocks of the game and I was really hoping I wouldn't have to deal with his bullshit again after the fight was done.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Stardew Valley...

What the gently caress, Sandy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Beastie posted:

The Dark Elves in the new GoW series are just completely unfun to fight.

I'm playing through Ragnarok right now and am cursing at this game. It's been largely enjoyable so far, but much like the first, as soon as I get to the Dark Elves I start to get frustrated.

They're such bullshit. Ranged attacks that fire multiple projectiles that create area denial orbs that will detonate. They fly around so fast that they gently caress over the lock on. One has an attack that clouds your eyes with smoke taking away your lock and largely hides them completely.

They'll block almost all of your hits, so you need to really mash L1 to break that.

Then you have the fact that the game throws 3-4 of them your way.

These things and the bipedal frogmen that shoot acid balls at you are just not fun for me.

Do you not have light arrows or any other equivalent in Ragnarok? They were pretty easy to shut down by just being aggressive enough between you and Atreus hitting or shooting them at all times.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RareAcumen posted:

Do you not have light arrows or any other equivalent in Ragnarok? They were pretty easy to shut down by just being aggressive enough between you and Atreus hitting or shooting them at all times.

Boy gets sonic arrows this time around, at least so far. But there are also points with Dark Elves that Kratos is not with Boy. I will follow the one poster's advice and pummel them. If that doesn't work for me I'll just say gently caress it and lower the difficulty.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Remnant lets you reroll your world to respawn bosses, events, maps, etc.

But it based difficulty off your highest upgraded items apparently. So matter what I reroll every zone is going to be end game difficulty so it feels like I didn't get stronger at all

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The much more :psyduck: thing about Remnant is that, while difficulty is based on your highest level individual item, loot drops (including upgrade materials) are based on the average of all your items.
So if you pump everything into your favorite gun but don't upgrade your armor armor as high, thinking "this is a waste I'd rather use the mats to upgrade more guns", or if you ignore upgrades for melee weapons because melee is totally useless in that game, the difficulty will still scale up but you'll stall out on upgrades and not be able to progress further, getting no drops of the new higher-tier upgrade materials you need.

The game definitely seemed to want to lean into the "infinite procedural content! play through the campaign on ng+ and ng++ and ng+++!" thing with stuff like only ever seeing 1 out of 2 bosses per chapter per run. I didn't really see the appeal and stopped after beating the final boss the first time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The much more :psyduck: thing about Remnant is that, while difficulty is based on your highest level individual item, loot drops (including upgrade materials) are based on the average of all your items.
So if you pump everything into your favorite gun but don't upgrade your armor armor as high, thinking "this is a waste I'd rather use the mats to upgrade more guns", or if you ignore upgrades for melee weapons because melee is totally useless in that game, the difficulty will still scale up but you'll stall out on upgrades and not be able to progress further, getting no drops of the new higher-tier upgrade materials you need.

The game definitely seemed to want to lean into the "infinite procedural content! play through the campaign on ng+ and ng++ and ng+++!" thing with stuff like only ever seeing 1 out of 2 bosses per chapter per run. I didn't really see the appeal and stopped after beating the final boss the first time.

This is exactly what happened to me. I didn't care for the armour or melee I had, but I found a cool gun and focused all I had on upgrading it, went to the second world, and was suddenly faced with a difficulty spike that threw so many enemies at me and did so much damage that it was basically impossible to actually finish a stage since I'd be one shot by anything but the most basic grunts and enemies came so fast that I couldn't even reload. So I just stopped playing it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The thing dragging down Total Warhammer is whenever I get the itch to play, I fire up a game and realize that whichever faction I play, the first 10 or so turns are going to play the exact same. Because every faction starts off at war with someone who has 3-5 settlements. I just wanna go in a different direction for once. Start off fighting someone else.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
There are mods for that aren't there?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

The thing dragging down Total Warhammer is whenever I get the itch to play, I fire up a game and realize that whichever faction I play, the first 10 or so turns are going to play the exact same. Because every faction starts off at war with someone who has 3-5 settlements. I just wanna go in a different direction for once. Start off fighting someone else.

Pick a coastal faction, zoom off on the sea, pick a fight with some elves or whatever.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Leal posted:

If you have the third one choose Belakor and just pick a direction.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leal posted:

I got another one for Total Warhammer. In both the standard campaign and the Immortal Empires, Slaanesh has a mechanic where you can corrupt other nations over time. Except that Slaanesh starts off surrounded by elves, on the elven continent in Immortal Empires, and elves by default all HAAAAAAAAAAATE Slaanesh (except a handful of pleasure cult factions). It doesn't take much for almost the entire content to declare war on you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Warhammer, I tried out the ARPG that's on PS Plus, Chaosbane and maybe things pick up a little later but early on everything looks like it was made out of stock assets. Like it is a fake videogame you'd see someone playing in a movie.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of Warhammer, I tried out the ARPG that's on PS Plus, Chaosbane and maybe things pick up a little later but early on everything looks like it was made out of stock assets. Like it is a fake videogame you'd see someone playing in a movie.

Chaosbane tries very hard to have different and unique characters, but the enemies and levels are quickly showing asset reuse, to the point where different factions of enemies differ mostly by their aura's colour. It's a shame, because they really put effort into character progression and skills.

Still, an enjoyable game, but it's very much not great, merely good (and I'd be disappointed with buying it if it were not a PS+ Collection title;)

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Jan 16, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Randalor posted:

I got another one for Total Warhammer. In both the standard campaign and the Immortal Empires, Slaanesh has a mechanic where you can corrupt other nations over time. Except that Slaanesh starts off surrounded by elves, on the elven continent in Immortal Empires, and elves by default all HAAAAAAAAAAATE Slaanesh (except a handful of pleasure cult factions). It doesn't take much for almost the entire content to declare war on you.

I think the elves just hate everyone. Even elves. Prove me wrong. Every campaign I play, no matter how far I am away from those assholes, without fail after a dozen odd turns a boat of elves will show up, stomp my poo poo, then sail away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I enjoyed the game and it seems like it would be fun co-op. But I also wasn't a fan of RNG deciding which boss I would face. I went a couple of levels into NG+ before tapping out, especially since I was seeing some of the same bosses from my first playthrough.