Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SplitSoul posted:

Danish banks and ministries are being hit with DDoS attacks by alleged Russian hackers. They decided to contact the public broadcaster to claim responsibility.

https://www-dr-dk.translate.goog/ny...&_x_tr_pto=wapp

quote:

They refer to Stepan Bandera, a late Ukrainian far-right politician who is often used by Russian media to support the claim that Ukraine is run by fascists.

look, if a guy was political in the 1930s, that makes him a politician

E: terrible snipe, have some content:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1613599573955444751

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

A. Schicklgruber, a somewhat controversial Austrian war veteran and political activist.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Hedenius posted:

The Coming Collapse of China was published in 2001.

I know lol, I saw him in a right wing UK newspaper recently, still pushing the same narrative and that's what made me think of him now.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

They should make an Ace Combat series, but with tanks instead of planes and the protagonist is a Ukrainian.

Just imagine a tank zooming around, doing barrel rolls as it guns down all the orc invaders.

edit: You and your brothers in arms driving in formation, when suddenly *BOOM*

The tank to your left, pilot codename "HIMMLER", explodes.

HEYDRICH: Got one on your six!
Me (BANDERA): I can't shake him!
*an explosion from behind, followed by a friendly tank doing a barrel roll ahead of you*
HITLER: Bogy down! The one who takes out the fewest orcs buys the drinks tonight!

basically the landmaster stages from star fox 64, but with ethnic cleansing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hedenius posted:

Every year that passes just makes it more impressive the author was able to see so much further into the future.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Every year that passes just makes it more impressive the author was able to see so much further into the future.

:hmmyes:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hedenius posted:

lol

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
do you think those landmaster jump jets could cross the babi yar?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
lol at the destroyed BRadleys vs Gavins debate\

"Russia has reported kicking me in the rear end. This is untrue. They have only kicked my balls"

Weird how regardless of whether Russia's claims are true that the Ukraine is asking for more as if they were

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

someone in Ukraine's propaganda apparatus knows exactly what they're doing lmao

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

The Oldest Man posted:

isnt this just battletanx global assault

I didn't like these games. For starters the story is loving whack:

quote:

On January 13, 2006, the evil Queenlord Cassandra is spying on Griffin Spade's family and orders her troops to kidnap Griffin's son Brandon and kill everyone else. Griffin and his army manage to push back the invaders, but Cassandra soon turns the tables by mind-controlling Griffin's own army. Griffin and Madison manage to escape San Francisco and begin chasing Cassandra across the United States, eventually cornering her in Washington. Cassandra, however, escapes with Brandon to the United Kingdom; Griffin and Madison follow. They build a new army in Europe and chase her through England, France and Germany.

While in Paris, they discover Cassandra released the virus in 2001 to kill every woman on Earth who did not have the power of the Edge. In Berlin, Griffin finally rescues Brandon. They make it back to San Francisco and push back another invasion by the Storm Ravens, and finally corner and defeat Cassandra on Alcatraz Island. The story ends with a cliffhanger, as an unidentified magician finds Cassandra's body and speaks of a "chosen one" as he resurrects her.

Someone just getting way too involved in their own story of "intrigue" when it's an N64 game, to be played by 10 year olds at the oldest

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Wait Joe’s real family name is Spade? very confusing

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Since there are more rumors about the reshuffle and more reading of the tea leaves.

https://readovka.news/news/128254

quote:

He continues to lead the Airborne Forces

There are rumours circulating in Telegram channels that Mikhail Teplinsky has allegedly been removed from his position as commander of the Russian Airborne Forces. According to Readovka's sources, this is false - Teplinsky continues to lead the Airborne Forces.

We would like to point out that Teplinsky has been involved in the special operation in Ukraine since the first days of it. He has now been granted leave. Airborne Troops units continue to carry out combat tasks as planned.

It should be recalled that on December 31, Russian President Vladimir Putin awarded Mikhail Teplinsky with the Order of St. George, 4th class. He praised the work of paratroopers in the special operation in Ukraine.

Readovka earlier reported that the liberation of Soledar ended in the evening of 12 January.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
I want to create a new verb called "tanking", that basically means coping, but it's about tankies. So I could say, "keep tanking, tankies" and everyone knows that's a big own.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

iCe-CuBe. posted:

I want to create a new verb called "tanking", that basically means coping, but it's about tankies. So I could say, "keep tanking, tankies" and everyone knows that's a big own.

*Dougie voice* Failsons did it

quote:

You tried. You tanked. I wouldn't try again. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

I posted:

Reminder that 'whataboutism' was itself originally a rationalization of American lynchings in the face of being reminded of it by the Soviet Union :eng101:

They do hate being reminded of this

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1613921348425768961?s=20

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

What is fear, but a bet you hope to lose? :twisted:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1613906210683494400?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ukriane has no chance of defeating Russia so ? every sees it

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
i'm no fan of littering

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don’t understand - every battle already has been a decisive defeat of Russia. and then on top of that, Ukraine keeps getting super weapons. haven’t looked at a map recently but I assume Ukraine’s basically won this already.

someone tell nafo about these putinist rashist freaks in the “WSJ”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Actually, give me a sec.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Jan 13, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the piece doesn’t really have a solution either beyond the West should vaguely prepare itself for a Second World War long war.

It has been mentioned before but it is a good question of how deep Ukraine’s manpower reserves go at this point, or rather how many Ukrainian men actually still want to throw theirselves into the fight versus those who are keeping their heads down or simply living in another country.

Then you have broader issues like training and armaments.

———-

Also, I just don’t really think the West can go into “total war” mode at this point. You got to start building factories from scratch and then regulating them like the Second World War. It isn’t like maximizing our already existing state industries.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Instead of trying to work out the impossible logistics of a long war with Russia, why not peace?

The fact that the west/Ukraine hasn't been able to repulse Russia to its own territory should say something to someone...

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow Britain and Germany actually sending their own tanks like the Challenger 2 and Leopard 2 is a pretty significant escalation, I wonder if it's borne out of confidence or worried about defeat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

even if they are sending them, what are they going to do other than a PR story.

are tanks even effective at anything relevant

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
"10 Symbolic Abrams"

I'm just picturing a turret rotating in the mud

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

euphronius posted:

even if they are sending them, what are they going to do other than a PR story.

are tanks even effective at anything relevant

You can do fire support with them or use them in an offensive if it is not inside a big city. The real kicker for western tank will be if it's worth the additional logistic to handle. Pretty sure they are also always much heavier than Russian tanks so their movement could prove troublesome.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yeah, that's basically my read. For Russia, an on-side Ukraine is a national priority. For the West, it's loving around with money and surplus poo poo from the 70's and 80's. We're materialists, we've seen how this ends.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the piece doesn’t really have a solution either beyond the West should vaguely prepare itself for a Second World War long war.

It has been mentioned before but it is a good question of how deep Ukraine’s manpower reserves go at this point, or rather how many Ukrainian men actually still want to throw theirselves into the fight versus those who are keeping their heads down or simply living in another country.

Then you have broader issues like training and armaments.

———-

Also, I just don’t really think the West can go into “total war” mode at this point. You got to start building factories from scratch and then regulating them like the Second World War. It isn’t like maximizing our already existing state industries.

ukraine is a nation of like 44 million people, more than France in 1914, almost quadruple of iraq in 1980. they'll run out of steam from either the population losing the will to fight, or the military actually collapsing from lack of equipment or lack of technically capable people long before they would run out of actual manpower

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, to be honest, land offensives without combined arms rarely work out for a reason especially since the Ukrainians really can’t support an assault from the air. The West knows it has to give the Ukrainians something for an offensive but at the same time there are hard limits of how much they want to cannibalize themselves so you end up with 10 Challangers here or 10 Leopards there.

Futanari Damacy posted:

Instead of trying to work out the impossible logistics of a long war with Russia, why not peace?

The fact that the west/Ukraine hasn't been able to repulse Russia to its own territory should say something to someone...

It would be admission that this whole enterprise wasn’t really worth the effort as Russia would only accept a deal that gives leverage over Ukraine. Basically, it is already a sink cost and the hope is just to continue it going with the absolute minimum worth of support.

OctaMurk posted:

ukraine is a nation of like 44 million people, more than France in 1914, almost quadruple of iraq in 1980. they'll run out of steam from either the population losing the will to fight, or the military actually collapsing from lack of equipment or lack of technically capable people long before they would run out of actual manpower

Honestly, it is probably closer to 25 million now in Kiev held territory, but even then the issue is how many remaining actually want to fight or rather doing everything possible to avoid conscription (or are just ghosts in the system due to internal migration etc.): Then you have the guys already serving in some type of governmental or strategic capacity that is necessary along with security forces etc, physical limitations and everything else. It isn’t an infinite supply of dudes.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Jan 13, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow Britain and Germany actually sending their own tanks like the Challenger 2 and Leopard 2 is a pretty significant escalation, I wonder if it's borne out of confidence or worried about defeat.

lol

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
nato plan: send ukraine just 10 of every nato vehicle in service

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If we want to sabotage the Ukranian war effort we could just give them 100 or so Abrams. Entire country would be out of avgas and diesel with 2/3rds of the tanks down for service within a week.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ugh, whatever, gently caress this piece of poo poo fash.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OctaMurk posted:

ukraine *was* a nation of about 44 million people, but that was in 2001 and included the territories now occupied as well as everyone who's fled the war

there has, for various reasons, been a marked decline in the ukrainian population since then

i do agree that they won't run out of warm bodies to put into uniforms before the russians run out of will to fight, though - the russians will have to push at other points to make the ukrainians unable to keep fighting.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

ukraine *was* a nation of about 44 million people, but that was in 2001 and included the territories now occupied as well as everyone who's fled the war

there has, for various reasons, been a marked decline in the ukrainian population since then

i do agree that they won't run out of warm bodies to put into uniforms before the russians run out of will to fight, though - the russians will have to push at other points to make the ukrainians unable to keep fighting.

it reported 44 million in 2021, 48 in 2001

even assuming the real number is say, 20 million less due to the occupied territories and people leaving, it would still be a hell of a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hmm