Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Aphex- posted:

Well this loving sucks:

Right to wild camp in England lost in Dartmoor court case

Absolute loving oval office.

Arm pheasants imo. Let the pheasant hunter become the pheasant hunted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You can wild camp anywhere in Scotland except the grounds of a private residence or the east shore of Loch Lomond.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

keep punching joe posted:

or the east shore of Loch Lomond.

Is that the bonnie bank? Or are both shores bonnie bonnie banks?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Is that the bonnie bank? Or are both shores bonnie bonnie banks?

They banned camping there because all the Tennents cans and plastic bags were making it that wee bit less bonnie.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Only from March to September though, it's fine in winter.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Woo, just had a visit from Trading Standards and have maintained my 5* rating.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Reading that article on the Dartmoor case it sounds like there will be an appeal. To me the reasoning for losing the right to camp sounds pretty weak, but I'm not a team of lawyers fighting for the rights of a poor downtrodden landowner with 4000 acres in Dartmoor and another 16000 in Sutherland.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Private Speech posted:

Only from March to September though, it's fine in winter.

Take it from a local: you don't want to be camping anywhere near the loch in the winter. It's only allowed because frozen tourist makes good foraging for the wildlife.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

Now I haven't clicked it but I assume it's a string of racial slurs.

Amused myself vy imagining an old racist woman bellowing "For sale; baby shoes, never worn" at him

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Was coming here to post about that further kicking of the corpse of the Commons. Dartmoor was the last place in England and Wales where wild camping was actually legal.
This statement on the Dartmoor National Park Authority website has a classic Catch-22 in it's last two sentences.

Dartmoor National Park Authority, Camping Map posted:

The High Court declared on 13 January 2023 that that Section 10(1) of the Dartmoor Commons Act 1985 does not confer on the public any right to pitch tents or otherwise make camp overnight on the Dartmoor Commons.
Therefore, Dartmoor National Park Authority (DNPA) encourages anyone who is planning to wild camp to seek the consent of the landowner.
Please note that DNPA is not allowed to share contact details of individual landowners on Dartmoor.
To be fair to the DNPA they were on the side of allowing wild camping but rich fuckers who want to sell pheasant shoots somehow always get their way.

Gonna post this link again which may have been obscured by my word vomit last time.
https://www.rowmaps.com/

ROW maps website posted:

Rights of way data for 123 authorities in England and Wales have been released with an open licence. This web site can superimpose the rights of way of these authorities onto an underlying map which can be from the Ordnance Survey, OpenStreetMap or Bing. You can ask for a map that is close to a specific place. You can also ask for transport stops (such as bus stops) to be added to the map.
It's updated frequently. From my privileged position in Scotland with right to roam and loads of wild camping potential I encourage anyone in England and Wales who likes the countryside and freedom to use it and use it often. Just remember to take all your rubbish away.

Hell, if you can, take away other peoples poo poo (not literal poo poo, though if equipped by all means bury the shite-bird's paper nests). Last year me and a friend provided lights for what we'll call a "pop-up-party" a friend's son organised in the wilds of the Borders. 16 hours of banging beats and the next day we and the kids filled the back of my van with over 15 bin bags of our and others rubbish. Leave it better than you found it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Why did they build all those tors on Dartmoor anyway?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
To access the dark web :350:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1613857136353714178?t=-gbeNSmhXWlIlmAweSvahA&s=19

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Take it from a local: you don't want to be camping anywhere near the loch in the winter. It's only allowed because frozen tourist makes good foraging for the wildlife.

I mean, people do camp in the Himalayas.

I've also camped in eastern european winter, it's fine if you have proper gear.

At least it would be quiet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwNUUDa2HUQ

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Yes I was going to post the article on that, but I thought I'd look up 9/11 stuff to compare and then I got sidetracked.

This article is on the 9/11 first responders.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/09/06/1034556283/a-study-says-9-11-first-responders-survive-cancers-at-higher-rates-why

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Camrath posted:

Congrats!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Private Speech posted:

But at least people know what to expect camping in the Himalayas. 10 minutes walk out of Balloch and you're into some pretty hardcore nature potentially without realising.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tourists continually underestimating just how harsh the hills here are keep mountain rescue in a job.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Someone has already added this to the Wikipedia page for the judge in the Dartmoor camping case.

Julian Flaux wiki page posted:

In 2022 he backed Rich london based Landowner Alexander Darwall over the rest of the population of the world removing any rights to Wild Camp on Dartmoor and seriously damaging The Right to Roam.
Dunno why it says 2022.

Private Speech posted:

Found the problem.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

But at least people know what to expect camping in the Himalayas. 10 minutes walk out of Balloch and you're into some pretty hardcore nature potentially without realising.

This reminds me of my first solo bothy trip I did in the Galloway forest park last year, getting further and further from any kind of phone reception and not really registering until later that I had been asked on 3 separate occasions by people I met along the way if I'd made sure to take a physical map. I did eventually find the bothy and spent two great nights out there but let's just say it was a learning experience and leave it at that X_x

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

keep punching joe posted:

Tourists continually underestimating just how harsh the hills here are keep mountain rescue in a job.

When I was a younger man I decided to go on a nice easy solo camping trip on Nevis in July. Experienced as I was in alpinism and Scottish winter mountaineering it seemed a doddle. Packed my tent and sleeping bag, caught the last train up from Glasgow, marched up the tourist trail to the top and stared in disbelief at all the loving rocks covering every inch of ground. I'd been on the summit 5 or 6 times previously, by a bunch of different climbing and walking routes, but only in winter where everything is covered in snow. Hadn't even occurred to me that under that smooth, white blanket there wasn't anywhere at all to pitch a tent. In the end I had to sleep in the emergency shelter. It was -1°C up there and I didn't sleep very well at all.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Camrath posted:

Nice one. :discourse:

Hope you are feeling better from your earlier illness.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Camrath posted:

SEYMOUR, THE HOUSE IS ALL FAECES

No, mother, that's just my latest fudge

*nervous thumbs up to the inspector*

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Aphex- posted:

Well this loving sucks:

Right to wild camp in England lost in Dartmoor court case

Absolute loving oval office.

This poo poo has always pissed me off about this country and is yet another reason to return to Australia at some point

e: Steamed Jams

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 13, 2023

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

EmptyVessel posted:

Dartmoor National Park Authority, Camping Map posted:

The High Court declared on 13 January 2023 that that Section 10(1) of the Dartmoor Commons Act 1985 does not confer on the public any right to pitch tents or otherwise make camp overnight on the Dartmoor Commons.

Section 10(1) posted:

..., the public shall have a right of access to the commons on foot and on horseback for the purpose of open-air recreation; ...

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/1985/37/pdfs/ukla_19850037_en.pdf

I am not a lawyer, but gently caress that guy right into the sun.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So you can pitch tents but they have to be Open-Air brand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*toby young voice* billionaires constitute less than 0.2% of the population and yet for some reason everyone else's rights come second to theirs.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Pity about the inclusion of "..or otherwise make camp overnight.." or I'd suggest trolling the gently caress out of him come summer temperatures by just sleeping out without a tent.

Pro tip: If you have a black sleeping bag you'd be amazed at how many people just don't see you tucked up snoozing under a hedge. #hitchhikingskills

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

When I was a younger man I decided to go on a nice easy solo camping trip on Nevis in July. Experienced as I was in alpinism and Scottish winter mountaineering it seemed a doddle. Packed my tent and sleeping bag, caught the last train up from Glasgow, marched up the tourist trail to the top and stared in disbelief at all the loving rocks covering every inch of ground. I'd been on the summit 5 or 6 times previously, by a bunch of different climbing and walking routes, but only in winter where everything is covered in snow. Hadn't even occurred to me that under that smooth, white blanket there wasn't anywhere at all to pitch a tent. In the end I had to sleep in the emergency shelter. It was -1°C up there and I didn't sleep very well at all.

I feel for you, the top of Ben Nevis is just not very pleasant. The time I was up there it was cloudy so not even a nice view.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

*toby young voice* billionaires constitute less than 0.2% of the population and yet for some reason everyone else's rights come second to theirs.

That's not true, their right to have their heads chopped off comes first

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Albinator posted:

I feel for you, the top of Ben Nevis is just not very pleasant. The time I was up there it was cloudy so not even a nice view.

Allegedly the view is great but I've never seen it, always been cloudy when I've been up there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

big scary monsters posted:

Allegedly the view is great but I've never seen it, always been cloudy when I've been up there.

I used to visit my granny every school holiday except X-Mas, which would involve a trip down the A82 from Inverness to Oban, meaning 6 times a year we'd go past Fort William & the Ben, for over a decade. I think I saw the peak twice between the ages of 5 & 15.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

And you know its going to take 20 years for them to get any help, once every Tory involved in helping the company has retired, and when most of them are already dead.
Like usual when it comes to enquiries in the UK.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Of course it would be a Brit who decided to post this L https://twitter.com/JakeMHS/status/1613913290853474305

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Of course it would be a Brit who decided to post this L https://twitter.com/JakeMHS/status/1613913290853474305

So this is what negative sympathy feels like

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/KEdge23/status/1613854843457642496

"The recession never happened!"
*Recession happens*

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That 0.1% growth is the sunlit uplands I've been hearing so much about?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

L
E
V
E
L

U
P
!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Diet Crack posted:

https://twitter.com/KEdge23/status/1613854843457642496

"The recession never happened!"
*Recession happens*

Confirmed -0.3% upto September.
Queen snuffs it.
World Cup fools populace that its coming home again.
+0.1% due to above.
WHY DO YOU LIE JERBUMY SARTMER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Amazing how well transphobia brain maps onto other dumb as poo poo opinions.

happyhippy posted:

Queen snuffs it.
+0.1% due to above.
Got a great plan for +100.0% growth.