Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

Wait, are you saying he can finish all the games in half an hour? Or he has a video of highlights that is half an hour long?

The linked video is half an hour so maybe that's what they meant but TBH with the way speedrunners have completely annihilated the Hitman series, completing all three games in half an hour is actually pretty plausible to me. At the very least doing it as a sum of best times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

marshmallow creep posted:

Wait, are you saying he can finish all the games in half an hour? Or he has a video of highlights that is half an hour long?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubwklPa8u8w

Colorado in 1:16 just blows my mind.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The thing with the Hitman trilogy is that there is a whole lot of speedrun categories. Individual levels or marathon runs. Pro or master difficulty. Any % (any rating), Silent Assassin (best rating) and some of them go Silent Assassin & Suit Only (no disguise uses, only your starting outfit which usually* means the default starting location). And it's not popular, but I saw a streamer run SASO on Master who also used no unlockable weapons, gadgets, etc (so I think you start with a silenced pistol, fiber-wire and three coins). The above run does use unlocks, which are usually the reason the kills are so crazy fast.

But yeah, looking at the scoreboards it's goes to 20 minutes in-game time for a trilogy marathon run, close to 35 minutes with load times. They don't seem to include the H3 Ambrose Island level released last year for free, but they do include the two H2 DLC levels in a trilogy marathon.

*I haven't watched the video yet, but some levels have multiple starting locations with the starting outfit. Paris has four for example (front entrance, side party, attic and something near the dock.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Jan 13, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah, if you liked the $1000 bounty for best time/most creative video above, there's at least one more on the same guy's channel. Watching him and his friends break hitman in creative ways is pretty interesting.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Witcher 3 has a pretty interesting glitch that almost seemed at intentional at first. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg20Y3kG4DQ

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a Fallout: New Vegas speedrun that has sex with every character you can have sex with. The trouble is that some characters will only have sex with men, and some will only have sex with women. You can redesign your character when leaving the starting town. The speedrun starts as a man, uses a bug to travel while the game is paused, seduces the two people who will only have sex with men, and then changes the player character to a woman.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Transitioning as a speedrunning strat :hmmyes:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A speedrunning requirement

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dabir posted:

A speedrunning requirement

Pannenkoek2012: So I'm just going to do a Ranma 1/2 here
TJ "Henry" Yoshi: a ranma is a ranma. you can't say its only 1/2.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

Pannenkoek2012: So I'm just going to do a Ranma 1/2 here
TJ "Henry" Yoshi: a ranma is a ranma. you can't say its only 1/2.

drat it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This may be :thejoke: but is reminding me of a speedrunning trick in Super Metroid. There's a regular movement technique called the Shinespark, which lets you fly very fast in a straight line until you hit a wall. But you only have limited time after charging the shinespark before you lose the charge, which limits where you can perform it. There's a room where a properly-placed shinespark can save a lot of time, but it's very hard to get. For awhile, speedrunners were only able to spark across half the room, so they called the trick the "Halfie". Eventually someone figured out how to spark across the entire room...so now that version of the trick is the "Full Halfie".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No it is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

This is close to the premise of SOMA

And Horizon Zero Dawn.

Edit: gently caress Ted Faro.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://giant.gfycat.com/WaryHeavyDragonfly.mp4

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Needs DEAL WITH IT to come in off screen following the same animation path

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, if you liked the $1000 bounty for best time/most creative video above, there's at least one more on the same guy's channel. Watching him and his friends break hitman in creative ways is pretty interesting.

yeah it makes me want to play, I never really gave it a shot or took the time to learn it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bows1 posted:

yeah it makes me want to play, I never really gave it a shot or took the time to learn it.

The new Hitman games are so much fun if you like stealthy murder

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I love stealthy murder but i don't own anything I can play it with. Are the old hitman games worth playing today?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blood Money might be, if you can get past the clunky controls and pretty eyebrow raising tutorial level. Absolution more like absolutely not, and I think the others have probably just aged too badly to go back to

Dabir has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Jan 17, 2023

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
MDickie games are a special kind of technical quality…
https://twitter.com/shardssystem/status/1610227912351051779

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

flavor.flv posted:

I love stealthy murder but i don't own anything I can play it with. Are the old hitman games worth playing today?

Later this month they're consolidating the modern trilogy so that Hitman 3 always has the content from 1 (2016) and 2 (2018), so you no longer have to bother with finding out what DLC packages you need to get for the meatiest content. It will be renamed to Hitman - World of Assasination. You should keep an eye on that in the future when you've got something that does run it.

I played a lot of Blood Money back in the day, but it's just really showing its age these days. In general each game in the series end up just replacing the previous one as the prime way to hit mans (Hitman: Absolution was the exception, skip that one).

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:56 on Jan 17, 2023

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Been playing a lot of the new NFS Unbound game. I've noticed sometimes there are small graphical glitches if I play for an extended period, usually just minor things like minimap textures being corrupted or some skybox textures being low-res. However tonight things went hardcore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzRlJiLrbQ

Luckily I wasn't being chased by cops at the time and there was a hideout nearby. I would not have enjoyed trying to ditch a Heat 5 pursuit with that garbage all over!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The new Hitman games are so much fun if you like stealthy murder

I think what makes the Hitman games so great is that they are not the typical stealth game. They are puzzle murder games.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's me, the deviant rear end in a top hat who enjoyed how the very first hitman game controlled and has thus found each obviously superior and deservedly popular sequel to be slightly disappointing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I started with Hitman 2 and while I loved the game I have to admit going back to the era where running immediately alerts every guard within a hundred mile radius is less satisfying.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

There are really only two good games in the Hitman series, Blood Money and the World of Assassination trilogy. While the rest(outside of Absolution) are interesting they have serious flaws.

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's me, the deviant rear end in a top hat who enjoyed how the very first hitman game controlled and has thus found each obviously superior and deservedly popular sequel to be slightly disappointing
:hf: fellow Codename 47 liker.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/onlyabidoang/status/1610419733979074560

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Hel posted:

There are really only two good games in the Hitman series, Blood Money and the World of Assassination trilogy. While the rest(outside of Absolution) are interesting they have serious flaws.

:hf: fellow Codename 47 liker.

I like Absolution just because I don't feel like I'm being judged when I murder every sentient being on the map.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This is goddamn incredible.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Hitman is a 3rd person Commandos/Desperados/Shadow Tactics etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would pet teh slenderdog

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

haveblue posted:

I would get pet by teh slenderdog

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Been playing a lot of the new NFS Unbound game. I've noticed sometimes there are small graphical glitches if I play for an extended period, usually just minor things like minimap textures being corrupted or some skybox textures being low-res. However tonight things went hardcore:

Luckily I wasn't being chased by cops at the time and there was a hideout nearby. I would not have enjoyed trying to ditch a Heat 5 pursuit with that garbage all over!

Looks like your graphics card could be overheating. Polygons are becoming unbounded.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Elfface posted:

Hitman is a 3rd person Commandos/Desperados/Shadow Tactics etc.

I’ve been describing the World of Assassination trilogy lately as a series of interactive dioramas where you get to stick a bald murderous wrench into the works.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was calling them stage plays with one disruptive background extra. I think I like your version better.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

When's the last time you cleaned the dust out of your computer?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dewgy posted:

I’ve been describing the World of Assassination trilogy lately as a series of interactive dioramas where you get to stick a bald murderous wrench into the works.

Hitman GO is exactly this.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/WmGaR5f.mp4

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My favorite/least favorite Hitman bug that's persistent is targets or NPCs literally walking off the map.

I had one mission story target on the Isle of Sgail walk through the wall and up an invisible staircase into the night sky while I could do nothing but helplessly watch him go through a window.

And another, in VR no less, was while playing the Berlin level in Hitman 3, one of the many targets walked right past me and leapt up a wall and walked outside the level boundaries.

I have a screenshot of the former and a video of the latter, I'll look into uploading them once I get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:frogc00l: