Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nice set up. I laughed. Internally. Not out loud, but i thought it was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

DID YOU KNOW: The Fair Housing Act didn't protect families with children until 1988.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Hopefully people won't need to get a discord server to help figure this one out. :v:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

are computoons all reruns from 1989, or do they just feel that way

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Who told Crimestoppers Textbook my computer password?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The next Chuck Tingle

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 26, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 10-11, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

*I whisper to the person sitting next to me* this is where Planck Oh sacrifices everyone to join the Godhand

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 3/12/50

I'm seeing double! Four Brendas!

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

Do you give out your computer password?
Idiot!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

What, you don't have business cards with your computer password ready to hand out to everyone you meet?

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/12/03

Brenda Starr 3/13-15/50

Messick is just so lovely at accents.

Smokey Stover 4/27/52

Everyday Movies 12/27/35

"Can I exchange this silk underwear for an order on the grocery department?"

Inflatable Scarlet O'Neil 7/15-17/40

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 03, 1955)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"We have taken an oath to find her or die!"
"drat straight you have."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

JethroMcB posted:

I get that they're just doing visual shorthand for the gag, but the story of Adam and Eve really isn't substantial enough to support a book of that size.

Oh I hate this

It includes excerpts from the tosafist commentaries.

hexwren posted:

are computoons all reruns from 1989, or do they just feel that way

There was a bitcoin Computoon a bit ago. I think it was depicted as a physical coin. They're not re-runs, the artist just fires up the old strips in MSPaint and white-outs any details that need to be changed.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mary Worth was an edit, right? There's no way that was real.

Uh, did anyone get the twins from the boat in Val?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I'm sure they did, there's a rearguard or something minding the boats while they go sack a city.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

itll be funnier if aleta needs to scold a blood covered val for not actually grabbing their kids

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

edit: Val, I love you man, but sometimes I think you need to let one rear end in a top hat who kidnaps your son/wife live, just so the word spreads that if you gently caress with Val's family, you will die tired or in a hole.
If they aren't smart enough to connect the dots of "literally everyone who has tried to gently caress with his family has failed", they're not smart enough to heed the warnings of the proverbial last survivor. "Y'all were stupid; my plan, to catch him in a tiny net, will work for sure!"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Hippocrass posted:

I can't believe the Pechenegs are loving dead.

Also: Does anyone else know about the babies hidden inside the ship?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mary Worth was an edit, right? There's no way that was real.

Uh, did anyone get the twins from the boat in Val?

El Spamo posted:

I'm sure they did, there's a rearguard or something minding the boats while they go sack a city.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

itll be funnier if aleta needs to scold a blood covered val for not actually grabbing their kids

Very very minor spoilers: It's basically not addressed! They rescue Aleta of course, and then they're back on the boats and the twins are there and just fine. Like El Spamo suggests, I assume they left a rearguard who take care of the kids and the boats, but the script doesn't really mention it. Perhaps we're meant to assume this is part of Val "making his plan" in panel four today.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If they aren't smart enough to connect the dots of "literally everyone who has tried to gently caress with his family has failed", they're not smart enough to heed the warnings of the proverbial last survivor. "Y'all were stupid; my plan, to catch him in a tiny net, will work for sure!"

It's very much like all the people who figure they can take out Modesty Blaise and Willie Garvin.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Any time I read one of the thread's translated comics and the poster just has to be like, "I did the best I could but this joke depends on both a deep understanding of 1980s Finnish pop culture and a pun based on a word that doesn't exist in English," I think of stuff like this as its equivalent.

A+J

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I have a soft spot for Bizarro. He will draw any and all puns that runs through his mind and I applaud him for it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Huxley posted:

Any time I read one of the thread's translated comics and the poster just has to be like, "I did the best I could but this joke depends on both a deep understanding of 1980s Finnish pop culture and a pun based on a word that doesn't exist in English," I think of stuff like this as its equivalent.

A+J

I have to say, that's been a remarkably long running ad campaign by, uh, Progressive?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah, but how are they gonna recognize him? I don't think these guys have much contact with Thule or the Misty Isles or Arthur's court. He doesn't have the rep HERE, which is precisely why he needs to let one or two guys go occasionally.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Meadowhall is an iconic shopping centre in Sheffield. It is one of the UK’s first huge American-style shopping malls and needless to say it closed a lot of shops in the city centre just like every other one of them. Thanks a lot, the 1990s!

Of course, time heals all wounds and now Meadowhall is part of the South Yorkshire fabric, like bus drivers calling you “love”. It even appeared as Self Esteem’s bra at Glastonbury. Quite the moment.

There’s a little New Zealand reference in today’s comic that I hope someone will spot.

Edit: The New Zealand reference is in the second panel. The store names are a reference to New Zealand musician Tim Finn and his song 'Funny Way'

The_Other fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 13, 2023

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

It's been probably six years since I been in the newspaper comic thread since they moved it outta wherever it was and I remembered it still existed. Glad to see that Computoon still exists and is still as inscrutable as ever.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Spider-Man? I dunno I'm struggling to make the Turn Off the Dark gag work here. I thought I had something but no.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It's been probably six years since I been in the newspaper comic thread since they moved it outta wherever it was and I remembered it still existed. Glad to see that Computoon still exists and is still as inscrutable as ever.

:ssh: more like 13+ years if you dropped around GBS -> BSS move.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Kennel posted:

They had to make GBS safe for...um...

(looks at GBS for the first time in a while)

...well, whatever the hell that is.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 2, 1935)

Peanuts (January 16, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 30, 1989)

Crankshaft

Am I imagining things, or does the color palate not pop quite as much as it did at CK? Not that that isn't closer to proper school bus yellow, but still...

Mutt and Jeff

This gets waved through and they didn't let Sally talk about architectural suicide yesterday. Go figure.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 15, 1939)

Out Our Way, in which the "prelude to war" material just keeps on coming. (October 24-26, 1940)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The War-Lords of Phoenix

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Kennel posted:

I think it was in PYF for a while

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
When was that?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth