Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

CottonWolf posted:

Did WotC really just re-edit the OFL to gently caress over Paizo et al?

To bring some points over from the industry thread, the new OGL they've made can't retroactively make the OGL Paizo used not valid. This isn't a change to screw Paizo. It's a change to 'encourage' everyone to only make D&D content within WotC's system and to not make their own character creators in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't protect a games rules generally but maybe this is a better question for the legal people and the legal thread
This is an article from the American Bar Association about video games but, same deal, and you're correct.

But also how much something is "legal" here ultimately comes down to how much Hasbro/WotC are willing to spend on lawyers to threaten people and tie them up in nuisance-but-good-luck-keeping-the-lights-on-until-it's-resolved suits.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

To bring some points over from the industry thread, the new OGL they've made can't retroactively make the OGL Paizo used not valid. This isn't a change to screw Paizo. It's a change to 'encourage' everyone to only make D&D content within WotC's system and to not make their own character creators in the future.
Which yeah, the effect here is to put an upturned hand in front of everyone wanting to make D&D content without paying the troll toll moving forward

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

This is an article from the American Bar Association about video games but, same deal, and you're correct.

But also how much something is "legal" here ultimately comes down to how much Hasbro/WotC are willing to spend on lawyers to threaten people and tie them up in nuisance-but-good-luck-keeping-the-lights-on-until-it's-resolved suits.

Which yeah, the effect here is to put an upturned hand in front of everyone wanting to make D&D content without paying the troll toll moving forward

The open question, based on how the document is written, is that there is language there which would support a claim by Wizards that Paizo’s OGL content for pathfinder going forward would also be bound by these terms and require a royalty to WOTC. To be clear, this argument probably wouldn’t hold up in court, but this is very much a case where Wizards ability to pay more lawyers than their adversaries could be the entire legal strategy.

It’s very very stupid of them, but, working from the draft we’ve seen, it’s not an unreasonable reading of their intentions here.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i have in my possession a copy of ogl 1.2 and it has been interpreted by a big law lawyer and rolling for stats is now the only legal way to make characters

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

sugar free jazz posted:

i have in my possession a copy of ogl 1.2 and it has been interpreted by a big law lawyer and rolling for stats is now the only legal way to make characters

I guess all gaming is dead then

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

The open question, based on how the document is written, is that there is language there which would support a claim by Wizards that Paizo’s OGL content for pathfinder going forward would also be bound by these terms and require a royalty to WOTC. To be clear, this argument probably wouldn’t hold up in court, but this is very much a case where Wizards ability to pay more lawyers than their adversaries could be the entire legal strategy.

It’s very very stupid of them, but, working from the draft we’ve seen, it’s not an unreasonable reading of their intentions here.

And they are gonna have a hell of a time trying to make that claim as the 1.0a agreement is a lifetime license with no termination clause. Now of course if you give up this license yourself, then you are screwed, but WoTC is gonna be in for a very long legal battle to try and force that change with a lot of different companies and private entities and while they probably have the money to try and lawyer that, its gonna win them a lot of hate.

Roll For Combat had a contract lawyer (though admittedly not a IP lawyer nor a copyright/trademark lawyer) go over it in a video the other day that was fairly interesting. He makes a good point that a license agreement has to show consideration and that, especially for a perpetual license, unless WoTC can show that various entities have been abusing the license, they really can't argue to revoke without consideration - which the new license does not provide. This is further complicated by the fact that the 1.0a OGL has been used in the same way for 20+ years which means WoTC will have an even harder time trying to argue that they didn't realize that the old license was being misused and thus everyone needs to be forced to the new license.

There is also the argument about how after 35 years (which again, we are not at yet), WoTC has under precedent the right to shelf the 1.0a license and replace it with a new one, but the language for that does not give WoTC the right to affect derivative work originally made under 1.0a - those derivative works would still be 1.0a.

WoTC and Hasbro will certainly huff and puff all they want, but the fact of the matter is that they ran for over 20 years with a license that has no built in expiration, has no built in termination, specifically allows for additional versions of the license to co-exists and specifically contains zero language that allows future versions of the license to edit the terms of the original license. So let them keep trying to point that the new OGL says that its revoking the 1.0a's status of being "authorized" or whatever, but the facts of their own written contract through the OGL states that they are not allowed to do that.

You would need a really lovely lawyer and a really awful judge to gently caress this up and even then it probably just get dragged back into appeals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDuHjpwx5Q4

The Rules Lawyer on youtube is also covering this issue and the A Series of Dice-Based Events discord server (community AP system conversion discord) have been talking about it a lot.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah. Wizards probably doesn’t have a legal leg to stand on. They do have enough money to simply outlast and bully a lot of smaller players while the courts take forever to come to that conclusion.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How does rolling Stealth for initiative work?

It says you can roll it if you're doing the "Avoid Notice" activity, but isn't that just in like hand-wavey exploration mode? Like the party is traveling overland for days and I'm Avoiding Notice as my activity, so if there's a fight I roll Stealth.

What about just moving around a dungeon or other standard combat environment?

I'd like to roll with Stealth as much as possible because my Stealth is good and my Perception sucks.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How does rolling Stealth for initiative work?

It says you can roll it if you're doing the "Avoid Notice" activity, but isn't that just in like hand-wavey exploration mode? Like the party is traveling overland for days and I'm Avoiding Notice as my activity, so if there's a fight I roll Stealth.

What about just moving around a dungeon or other standard combat environment?

I'd like to roll with Stealth as much as possible because my Stealth is good and my Perception sucks.

If you are wandering around a dungeon, not in an encounter, you are in exploration mode and can do exploration mode activities like avoiding notice. If you get caught by monsters while doing something else, well then, oops, you don’t get to roll stealth that time.

More generally, the skill rolled for initiative can be changed/replaced by the GM at any time - if the GM wants to start an encounter with everyone on the map being knocked off their feet by an earthquake, they might call for Acrobatics as the initiative check instead for the whole party. If a fight breaks out in the middle of a dance party, the GM is free to call for Performance for initiative if that seems cool or interesting. So, if you’re sneaking around and hiding from notice while the party is moving around the dungeon, you can probably justify rolling stealth and you should talk to your GM about it.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
The way I see it: what is your primary activity while you’re in the dungeon or traveling and there’s a chance of an encounter breaking out? If the answer is that you’d always want to be prepared to get the jump on whatever you encounter, then yes, you’d always be Avoiding Notice so that you can always roll Stealth for initiative. If you want to do something else, like pick a lock or get into positions to scout, then you’re no longer focused on Stealthing. You can then take feats to both Stealth and do other things at the same time.

The whole party may want to sneak in case of an ambush, one part of the party may want to just Defend so they are the decoy, one may want to focus instead on Seeking for something hidden like doors or traps, or everyone could be doing something except the Stealther who can then quickly try to take out a valuable target at the start of a combat.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just roll a Swashbuckler, the Loud Rogues

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey, I'm looking for a new system for my group and I'm kinda liking what I've seen on a very cursory reading of PF2! Have to look into it more but I've got a quick question to start off with: are raw ability scores ever used or referred to anywhere, or could I just cut them out entirely and present this to my folks as "your abilities range from -1 to +5, ability boosts give you a +1" and so on? (Feat prerequisites and such seem to always go off of even numbers which are easily modified, and I've already noticed that boosts give only +1 after you hit 18 in an ability score, but there I could easily just say "you need two boosts to go from +4 to +5".)

And similarly, could I replace the speed and range stuff in ft. with the squares notation we're all used to from D&D 4E?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

As far as I know it wouldn't be hard to just use the ability modifiers like that, but sites like Pathbuilder show the full ability scores so trying to fully remove them might be more trouble than they're worth.

Also everything you'd want to measure in combat is still measured in five foot cubes, so just going all the way to squares would change basically nothing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Doing 4e style diagonals is explicitly supported in the GMG, too.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Arivia posted:

Doing 4e style diagonals is explicitly supported in the GMG, too.

What is 4e style?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hey, I'm looking for a new system for my group and I'm kinda liking what I've seen on a very cursory reading of PF2! Have to look into it more but I've got a quick question to start off with: are raw ability scores ever used or referred to anywhere, or could I just cut them out entirely and present this to my folks as "your abilities range from -1 to +5, ability boosts give you a +1" and so on? (Feat prerequisites and such seem to always go off of even numbers which are easily modified, and I've already noticed that boosts give only +1 after you hit 18 in an ability score, but there I could easily just say "you need two boosts to go from +4 to +5".)

And similarly, could I replace the speed and range stuff in ft. with the squares notation we're all used to from D&D 4E?

I play pretty exclusively on foundry but functionality wise there's no reason to ever need to refer to stats as "20 strength" instead of the modifier. The only case where you need to see the raw stat numbers is when applying your boosts at level 5/10/15/20, since you get smaller increments when increasing a stat over 18.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Finster Dexter posted:

What is 4e style?
Not sure, but the GMG has a variant rule that let's you count diagonal movement as 5-5-5 feet rather than 5-10-5 feet as is default, for ease of use as opposed to realism.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Preordered the Rage of Elements book the other night, pretty excited for that to finally come out. Really looking forward to rolling a Kineticist, or looking at the finalized class details and ultimately deciding to keep my monk for PFS that I haven't played since like 2020.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Rythian posted:

Not sure, but the GMG has a variant rule that let's you count diagonal movement as 5-5-5 feet rather than 5-10-5 feet as is default, for ease of use as opposed to realism.

This, basically. It means things like Fireball are squares instead of chunky Minecraft circles

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rythian posted:

Yeah, that's how 4th ed. did it.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Paizo's website is currently dead, but they have announced a system-neutral open license:

quote:

For the last several weeks, as rumors of Wizards of the Coast’s new version of the Open Game License began circulating among publishers and on social media, gamers across the world have been asking what Paizo plans to do in light of concerns regarding Wizards of the Coast’s rumored plan to de-authorize the existing OGL 1.0(a). We have been awaiting further information, hoping that Wizards would realize that, for more than 20 years, the OGL has been a mutually beneficial license which should not–and cannot–be revoked. While we continue to await an answer from Wizards, we strongly feel that Paizo can no longer delay making our own feelings about the importance of Open Gaming a part of the public discussion.

We believe that any interpretation that the OGL 1.0 or 1.0(a) were intended to be revocable or able to be deauthorized is incorrect, and with good reason.

We were there.

Paizo owner Lisa Stevens and Paizo president Jim Butler were leaders on the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards at the time. Brian Lewis, co-founder of Azora Law, the intellectual property law firm that Paizo uses, was the attorney at Wizards who came up with the legal framework for the OGL itself. Paizo has also worked very closely on OGL-related issues with Ryan Dancey, the visionary who conceived the OGL in the first place.

Paizo does not believe that the OGL 1.0a can be “deauthorized,” ever. While we are prepared to argue that point in a court of law if need be, we don’t want to have to do that, and we know that many of our fellow publishers are not in a position to do so.

We have no interest whatsoever in Wizards’ new OGL. Instead, we have a plan that we believe will irrevocably and unquestionably keep alive the spirit of the Open Game License.

As Paizo has evolved, the parts of the OGL that we ourselves value have changed. When we needed to quickly bring out Pathfinder First Edition to continue publishing our popular monthly adventures back in 2008, using Wizards’ language was important and expeditious. But in our non-RPG products, including our Pathfinder Tales novels, the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, and others, we shifted our focus away from D&D tropes to lean harder into ideas from our own writers. By the time we went to work on Pathfinder Second Edition, Wizards of the Coast’s Open Game Content was significantly less important to us, and so our designers and developers wrote the new edition without using Wizards’ copyrighted expressions of any game mechanics. While we still published it under the OGL, the reason was no longer to allow Paizo to use Wizards’ expressions, but to allow other companies to use our expressions.

We believe, as we always have, that open gaming makes games better, improves profitability for all involved, and enriches the community of gamers who participate in this amazing hobby. And so we invite gamers from around the world to join us as we begin the next great chapter of open gaming with the release of a new open, perpetual, and irrevocable Open RPG Creative License (ORC).

The new Open RPG Creative License will be built system agnostic for independent game publishers under the legal guidance of Azora Law, an intellectual property law firm that represents Paizo and several other game publishers. Paizo will pay for this legal work. We invite game publishers worldwide to join us in support of this system-agnostic license that allows all games to provide their own unique open rules reference documents that open up their individual game systems to the world. To join the effort and provide feedback on the drafts of this license, please sign up by using this form.

In addition to Paizo, Kobold Press, Chaosium, Green Ronin, Legendary Games, Rogue Genius Games, and a growing list of publishers have already agreed to participate in the Open RPG Creative License, and in the coming days we hope and expect to add substantially to this group.

The ORC will not be owned by Paizo, nor will it be owned by any company who makes money publishing RPGs. Azora Law’s ownership of the process and stewardship should provide a safe harbor against any company being bought, sold, or changing management in the future and attempting to rescind rights or nullify sections of the license. Ultimately, we plan to find a nonprofit with a history of open source values to own this license (such as the Linux Foundation).

Of course, Paizo plans to continue publishing Pathfinder and Starfinder, even as we move away from the Open Gaming License. Since months’ worth of products are still at the printer, you’ll see the familiar OGL 1.0(a) in the back of our products for a while yet. While the Open RPG Creative License is being finalized, we’ll be printing Pathfinder and Starfinder products without any license, and we’ll add the finished license to those products when the new license is complete.

We hope that you will continue to support Paizo and other game publishers in this difficult time for the entire hobby. You can do your part by supporting the many companies that have provided content under the OGL. Support Pathfinder and Starfinder by visiting your local game store, subscribing to Pathfinder and Starfinder, or taking advantage of discount code OpenGaming during checkout for 25% off your purchase of the Core Rulebook, Core Rulebook Pocket Edition, or Pathfinder Beginner Box. Support Kobold Press, Green Ronin, Legendary Games, Roll for Combat, Rogue Genius Games, and other publishers working to preserve a prosperous future for Open Gaming that is both perpetual AND irrevocable.

We’ll be there at your side. You can count on us not to go back on our word.

Forever.

–Paizo Inc

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wizards discovering what happens after you gently caress around, I see. Good on Paizo.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So how 'bout that ORC, eh

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

SpaceDrake posted:

Not sure how it's gonna look but it's a great step in a good direction!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SpaceDrake posted:

i appreciate the backwork engineering to arrive at that acronym

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Kitfox88 posted:

i appreciate the backwork engineering to arrive at that acronym

The term is "Backronym". Gets used all the time for NASA projects like the Large Ultraviolet Optical Infrared Surveyor, or LUVOIR, or in Congress, ala the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act, or the USA PATRIOT Act.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

BRB, releasing my heartbreaker under the Generic Omniversal Basic Ludological Interactive Narrative (GOBLIN) license.

EDIT: Commercial use will be covered under the International Legal License Involving Tabletop Hexcrawls In Dungeons (ILLITHID).

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 13, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I haven't played in what feels like a year, could be longer, could be shorter. I want to change that. I have Foundry VTT, I have all the free stuff, but what's out there to buy that'll make things at my table run more smoothly? I wanted modules for the VTT, but it looks like that's already free? Do I get the PDFs when I buy the rulebook. Is it just monsters and bestiarys? I like to shop so what's out there to shop around for foundry + PF2e that isn't a 600th set of dice?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There are official adaptations of some of the Adventure Paths for Foundry, so you don't need to set those up yourself. Apparently they're pretty good.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
All the rules content is in Foundry already, so buying rulebooks is just for the PDFs.

Several adventure paths (Abomination Vaults, Outlaws of Alkenstar, Blood Lords) have paid Foundry modules, and those will have maps, NPCs, and journal entries already set up for you, as well as ambient sounds for each map.

There's also the Bestiary Token Pack, which includes artwork and tokens for every creature in Bestiary 1-3.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Megazver posted:

There are official adaptations of some of the Adventure Paths for Foundry, so you don't need to set those up yourself. Apparently they're pretty good.

Yeah, I can attest that the Abomination Vaults/Beginner Box ones are really good. If you purchase a foundry module you do get a copy of the accompanying PDF as well (or in Abom Vault's case, one big PDF that's a compilation of all three). There are currently modules for Abomination Vaults, Menace Under Otari, Outlaws of Alkenstar and Blood Lords. The main Foundry team is working on releasing Kingmaker and another team is working on releasing whatever adventure path is coming out next.

There's the Bestiary Token Pack that goes for about $60 and contains artwork for every creature in bestiary 1-3.

If you want to add some effects to your game, there's a patreon that you can subscribe to for $2/mo. If you get the "PF2e automated animations" module it will automatically link animations with attacks/weapons/spells so your players can see if they hit or miss. Some attacks (i.e. breath weapons on monsters) you'll need to hook up manually but it's easy enough to figure out.

There's also a variety of other PF2E modules you can get for foundy that make your life easier. Stairways/Monk's active tile triggers are both good if you want to link maps together. Drag Ruler integration is great for distances. Effect Description has been great for me as a newbie DM. Flat Check/Persistent Damage are also good for the automation side of things.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My memory is fuzzy, but it has a pretty good character creator as well or something? Do you think I could run it like DND Beyond at the table, where they set up a character and it tells them what dice to roll? (I already have a webhost.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Boba Pearl posted:

My memory is fuzzy, but it has a pretty good character creator as well or something? Do you think I could run it like DND Beyond at the table, where they set up a character and it tells them what dice to roll? (I already have a webhost.)

https://pathbuilder2e.com/ or https://wanderersguide.app/ are better equivalents to something like Beyond for actually building and planning characters. Foundry's sheets are great once you know what you need to do, but they're a bad way to look at options and figure out what those things are.

As for running at the table, Foundry sheets will do nearly everything, you just pres butan and it rolls all relevant dice and does all the math and it's great.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Boba Pearl posted:

Character creation in Foundry is Not Good while not being Actively bad. Unfortunately, there is no good solution anymore since pathbuilder isn't actively updating and herolabs is poop. So, uh, I guess just make them as much as possible in pathbuilder, manually rekey it into foundry, and double check it all.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Toshimo posted:

Unfortunately, there is no good solution anymore since pathbuilder isn't actively updating and herolabs is poop.

What is this about pathbuilder?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toshimo posted:

pathbuilder isn't actively updating

??????

https://pathbuilder2e.com/patchnotes.html?v=61

quote:

Pathbuilder 2e Web Patch Notes
v61 12 January 2023

Implemented CRB Errata - changes for Voluntary Flaws and Alchemist Chirurgeons in particular!
Added AP 186.
Some misc fixes and minor tweaks.

v60 13 December 2022

Added missing Ash mystery.
Added option to always have filters open.
Added UI slider to hp controls

v59 21 November 2022

Added Kingmaker, AP 184, AP 185.
Fixed Dual Class ability bug.
Fixed Heritage button bug

Looks pretty active.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Apparently, it's just the Foundry importer that stopped updating. I got bad info from my in-house tech support.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

yeah pathbuilder updates absurdly fast, there've been times things are updated on pathbuilder before on aon

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Boba Pearl posted:

Building a character in Foundry is quick and easy, just drag and drop your ABC (ancestry, background, class) and a guided window helps you do ability scores, then drag and drop feats/spells.

A lot of players do their planning in Pathbuilder then keep their actual sheet in Foundry (which you can export to a json to move between worlds/servers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Character creation in foundry (at least the ability scores stuff) was made a lot better fairly recently.