Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

VitalSigns posted:

because the mRNA was made in a lab!

These people also believe the virus was made in a lab, so.... Checkmate? :bighow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Yes you would, and if you look around at other weekly reports from December 2022, they do

Did you get bored and fall asleep before reading the last column in that table? There were six deaths of unvaccinated people purebloods

3% of the population, yet 6% of the covid deaths in that 14-day report you linked. And this is the report you picked to make the vaccine look as bad as possible.

I'm the only people in the dead column for purebloods instead of stacked way more towards being in the hospital and ICU of the toxic vaxxbloods

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

drat that table really makes sense after a little thought. In my country mostly really sick or really old people got 4 and 4+ doses. So the signs arent very good for you if you need to go to the ICU. If you are healthy and got 4 or 4+ doses, you are safe as safe you can be in tyool 2023.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

AutismVaccine posted:

drat that table really makes sense after a little thought. In my country mostly really sick or really old people got 4 and 4+ doses. So the signs arent very good for you if you need to go to the ICU. If you are healthy and got 4 or 4+ doses, you are safe as safe you can be in tyool 2023.

well you could also wear a kn94 or better mask in company of people you don't already live with.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

knulla posted:

Goons seem to be missing the impending tidal shift in attitude towards the vaccines. In this post I'll lay out some evidence that you should at least be skeptical of the notion that these vaccines are safe and effective, based on the real phase 3 which is still underway on the entire human population.

First, Rasmussen reports that 28% of Americans believe they know somebody who was injured due to the covid vaccine and half believe that the vaccines may be causing unexpected deaths: https://www.themainewire.com/2023/01/americans-sour-on-covid-19-vaccine-rasmussen/

This one you goons will easily dismiss: Americans are stupid, a quarter of them believe electricity flows faster downhill, of course they believe this bullshit. Fair enough!

Second, Australia's covid reporting for weeks 51 & 52 (EOY '22) is quite interesting: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/weekly-covid-overview-20221231.pdf

The table at the end gives some very interesting details. Such as: Over the time period, zero unvaccinated people showed up to the hospital, and (obviously) zero went into ICUs for covid. Those with one dose: 10 in hospital, 1 in icu. Two doses: 218 hospital, 17 ICU. Three doses: 377 & 29. Four or more doses: 810 hospitalized, 58 in the ICU.

At that time period, in Australia, 97% of people had at least one dose, so that means only 3% of people were totally unvaccinated.

There could be a bunch of statistical reasons and confounding factors that could lead to this outcome, while still maintaining these gene therapies are effective. However, the fact that the purebloods are not at all represented in the covid data should at least give a little pause. If the vaccine was so effective, wouldn't you expect even one or two of those 3% to show up in the stats? Really? All the conspiracy theorists in Australia just happen to be strangely robust? Since none of them seem to be affected by covid while the vaxxed are, at the very least it seems plausible to say that those unvaccinated somehow had better immune systems than the rest. Or the disease already wiped out all the purebloods in earlier weeks and now only the few strong survive.

Finally, all-cause 2022 excess mortality in Australia is now greater than the total number of covid deaths recorded. Strange.

And the cherry on top: Australia announced that they would no longer be providing covid hopsitalization data with vaccination status breakdown any longer. Huh, strange. I guess it's just us crazy people's wild, stupid interpretations of their data that's leading them to this--better to have less public info than have tinfoilhatters mangle stats, right?

I'm genuinely curious: Are any vaxxmaxxer goons here starting to question the vaccines whereas before they hadn't?

mods please change my name to vaxxmaxxer.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

knulla posted:

I'm genuinely curious: Are any vaxxmaxxer goons here starting to question the vaccines whereas before they hadn't?

My doctor doesn't even ask if I want a shot anymore, just brings the menu with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

knulla posted:

The only question I have about the vaccines is “when can I get the milk tea edition?”

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1613183847126171652

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

knulla posted:

Second, Australia's covid reporting for weeks 51 & 52 (EOY '22) is quite interesting: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/weekly-covid-overview-20221231.pdf

The table at the end gives some very interesting details. Such as: Over the time period, zero unvaccinated people showed up to the hospital, and (obviously) zero went into ICUs for covid. Those with one dose: 10 in hospital, 1 in icu. Two doses: 218 hospital, 17 ICU. Three doses: 377 & 29. Four or more doses: 810 hospitalized, 58 in the ICU.

At that time period, in Australia, 97% of people had at least one dose, so that means only 3% of people were totally unvaccinated.

There could be a bunch of statistical reasons and confounding factors that could lead to this outcome, while still maintaining these gene therapies are effective. However, the fact that the purebloods are not at all represented in the covid data should at least give a little pause. If the vaccine was so effective, wouldn't you expect even one or two of those 3% to show up in the stats? Really? All the conspiracy theorists in Australia just happen to be strangely robust? Since none of them seem to be affected by covid while the vaxxed are, at the very least it seems plausible to say that those unvaccinated somehow had better immune systems than the rest. Or the disease already wiped out all the purebloods in earlier weeks and now only the few strong survive.

Finally, all-cause 2022 excess mortality in Australia is now greater than the total number of covid deaths recorded. Strange.

And the cherry on top: Australia announced that they would no longer be providing covid hopsitalization data with vaccination status breakdown any longer. Huh, strange. I guess it's just us crazy people's wild, stupid interpretations of their data that's leading them to this--better to have less public info than have tinfoilhatters mangle stats, right?

on top of uhhhhhhhh everything else, if you had to hazard a random guess, what do you think the status of most of the 'unknown' vaccination status people are? when you get vaccinated there's a paper trail, so it's not that they're vaccinated!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

knulla posted:

How would you propose to separate excess mortality caused by covid vaccines from excess mortality caused by lingering damage from severe but nonfatal bouts of covid?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Platystemon posted:

The only question I have about the vaccines is “when can I get the milk tea edition?”

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1613183847126171652

i'm actually quite curious about ongoing info on this

i mean, i'm perfectly fine getting a needle every six months, but nasal etc applications of vaccines etc is neato and i'm sure the tech will be sufficient for a lot of things within the reasonably near future

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
My vague recollection from discussion of this a year or two ago itt was that a nasal or oral vaccine could stimulate more IgA which has better prospects for an actual sterilizing vaccine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The “first study to demonstrate successful immunogenicity and protection against respiratory viral infection by an intranasally administered mRNA-LNP vaccine” came out in preprint Thursday. This was in Syrian golden hamsters, vaccinated with a derivative of Spikevax and challenged with the WA1 strain of SARS‑CoV‑2.

quote:

Competing Interest Statement

GBV, AC, CJH, AG, AJ, EJ, EA, CMG, XSF, JS, AC, DE, and KB are or were employees of Moderna, Inc., and hold stock/stock options from the company. MM, CAP, CEM, MAH, MEC, JMW, and AB have none to declare.

Am I expected to quote these sections still? There it is.

Now for the introduction, a section that I will always read for laughs.

quote:

With over 600 million cases and 6.5 million deaths reported worldwide as of November 2022, the ongoing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is the most current and vivid example of the impact of respiratory diseases on global populations.

The leader of the free world said that the pandemic was over in September. Stop trying to extend covid on propose. 🤣

And not that it matters, but is the statistic for cases to date within even an order of magnitude of the true value, including cases that go unreported? I would not take an even money bet that there have been fewer than six billion infections worldwide.

As I said, though, introductions exist for their humor value.

So, three vaccine formulations were compared side by side: intramuscular Spikevax and two intranasal sprays of slightly different lipid composition. Each was tested at two dose levels, and there was additionally a group of hamsters sprayed up the nose with just the buffer, no mRNA and no lipids.

Figure 1 summarizes the protocol.

As for the juice,

quote:

A sequence-optimized mRNA encoding the SARS-CoV-2 S protein with 6 proline mutations32 was in vitro synthesized and purified as previously described.27 mRNA was LNP- encapsulated via nanoprecipitation by microfluidic mixing of ionizable, structural, helper, and polyethylene glycol lipids in acetate buffer (pH 5.0), followed by buffer exchange, concentration via tangential flow filtration, and filtration through a 0.8/0.2 μm membrane;27,48 an additional lipid was added for mRNA-LNP2.

It will be seen that this additional lipid is quite consequential, and I’ll quote the section that I believe explains why.

quote:

vaccine development for intranasal administration is challenging. The respiratory tract is protected by a slightly acidic mucosal layer containing proteolytic enzymes that form a barrier over the epithelial cell lining that undergoes continuous mucosal clearance.8 These mechanisms act to defend against entry of respiratory pathogens but can subsequently prohibit antigen delivery during intranasal vaccination.8 Thus, novel technologies are needed to overcome these physiological barriers to advance intranasal vaccination and protect against respiratory disease.

Regarding the challenge virus,

quote:

Three weeks after the second dose (Day 42), all vaccinated and mock-vaccinated hamsters were challenged intranasally with 105 plaque-forming units (PFU) of SARS-CoV-2 (isolate USA-WA1/2020; Figure 1). This isolate was selected for challenge as ancestral SARS-CoV-2 isolates are more pathogenic and drive more severe disease in hamsters than omicron lineage viruses.33,34

I respect that animal models are finicky, but I think that they should at least acknowledge that having the vaccine candidate and the challenge virus perfectly matched in epitopes gives the thing a leg up here. We’re really going to want to know how vaccines perform in humans against strains that have not been extinct in the wild for more than two years.

That is not enumerated as a limitation. They do mention the lack of mucosal IgA data, though.

quote:

The findings of this study should be considered alongside several limitations. First, S- specific mucosal IgA levels were not specifically measured due to both bronchoalveolar lavage and nasal wash procedures being terminal in hamsters; therefore, mucosal-specific antibody responses resulting from intranasal vaccination were not determined in this study.

They only have titrations from sera, which look like this.

quote:

Figure 2. Serum immune responses after intranasal vaccination.
(a) S-specific serum binding IgG, (b) S-specific serum binding IgA, and (c) serum neutralizing antibody reciprocal endpoint titers (log scale) at 3 weeks after dose 1 (Day 21) or 3 weeks after dose 2 (Day 41) are shown by vaccine group. Animal-level data are shown as dots (n = 9-10 animals per group), with boxes and horizontal bars denoting the IQR and median, respectively, and whiskers representing the maximum and minimum values. Geometric mean titers for each vaccine group are indicated by the plus (+) symbol of each boxplot, with the exact values shown above each vaccine group. Horizontal dotted lines represent the LLOD. *P<.05, **P<.01, ***P<.001, ****P<.0001. Results of statistical comparisons between groups are shown in Tables S1-S3.

^Antibodies were under the limit of detection for all hamsters in the mRNA-LNP1 5 μg group after dose 1, which had a much lower antibody level compared to other groups.

IgA, immunoglobulin A; IgG, immunoglobulin G; IM, intramuscular; IN, intranasal; LLOD, lower limit of detection; LNP, lipid nanoparticle; mRNA, messenger RNA; S2-P, S-protein with 2 proline mutations; SD, standard deviation.

Now what did this mean the the virus and its host?

quote:

Figure 3. Viral load and weight loss characteristics after SARS-CoV-2 challenge in vaccinated hamsters.
(a) Viral load (PFU per gram of tissue) in lungs and (b) viral load in nasal turbinates of mock-
vaccinated and vaccinated hamsters at 3 days and 14 days after SARS-CoV-2 challenge. Animal-level data are shown as dots (n = 5 animals per group), with grey lines representing the geometric mean titer for each group; exact values are shown above each vaccine group. Statistical comparisons were only performed for viral loads at day 3 after challenge, as viral loads at day 14 were zero for all hamsters. *P<.05, **P<.01, ***P<.001, ****P<.0001. Results of statistical comparisons between groups are shown in Tables S4-S5. (c) Mean percentage of weight change (error bars represent SEM) over 14 days after SARS-CoV-2 challenge in mock-vaccinated and vaccinated hamsters.

IM, intramuscular; IN, intranasal; LNP, lipid nanoparticle; mRNA, messenger RNA; PFU, plaque-forming units; SARS-CoV-2, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2; SEM, standard error of the mean.

Figures 4 & 5 have sectioned and stained hamster tissues. You can look them over for yourself if you want. It turns out that being exposed to virulent pathogens is bad for hamsters, being immunized helps, and getting a big dose of the LNP2 formulation up the nose helps the most.

The findings are, I think, about as good as one could hope to see in hamsters, but no one is rushing to administer it to humans tomorrow as a miracle elixir. We don’t know how well it would work, nor for how long.

quote:

Additional studies that further evaluate the potential advantages of intranasal vaccination in preclinical models other than an acute protection model should assist in translating these findings to clinical settings. Studies in ferrets (in addition to hamsters) can aid in examining the potential for intranasal vaccination to reduce transmission, while studies in mice and non-human primate models could enable investigating persistence of immune responses and the induction of local mucosal tissue resident immunity and cellular immunity. However, the technically challenging nature of intranasal vaccination, coupled with the limited predictive power of preclinical intranasal vaccine findings for human populations, will need to be considered throughout vaccine development. Intranasal vaccination as a booster regimen following primary parenteral vaccination schedules should also be evaluated, as an intranasal booster could build upon primary vaccination to supplement mucosal immunity and provide early, durable protection against infection.

Something that is underscored by the authors, but that I suspect may be consequential is that the nasal dose is large. The hamsters immunized intranasally were getting twenty‐five times as much mRNA as the ones immunized intramuscularly. They had enough mRNA to immunize an adult human, if given as a shot in the arm.

Certainly the world has enough resources to manufacture these higher doses, but there may be some hand‐wringing about it.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a cardiologist on the BBC no less saying that the mrna vaccines are a likely contributing factor to the excess cardiovascular deaths that the UK is experiencing. This cardiologist, who was again on the UK's government's TV station, says that the vaccine rollout should be immediately stopped. https://twitter.com/draseemmalhotra/status/1613837487796850688?s=46&t=cf8JDgTEj5MKqpk1xmPL9w

Notably, the UK has been a touch more conservative than the USA and refused to roll out the vaccine to anyone 12 or under (https://fee.org/articles/england-refuses-to-offer-covid-shots-to-kids-under-12-while-us-cities-mandate-them-who-s-right/) because the risk/benefit ratio (which calls into question both safety and efficacy) is too skewed.

Remember, covid is age stratified: It is a disease of the elderly and children are basically immune. The vaccine injuries being reported widely now are also age stratified, in the other direction--they're worse for you the younger you are.

Seems like the mainstream media is at least starting to pull back from vaxxmaxxing. I wonder if goons will?

Edit: It's weird to be happy about inaction, but man am I so happy I never poisoned my children with this stuff.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

knulla posted:

Here's a cardiologist on the BBC no less saying that the mrna vaccines are a likely contributing factor to the excess cardiovascular deaths that the UK is experiencing. This cardiologist, who was again on the UK's government's TV station, says that the vaccine rollout should be immediately stopped. https://twitter.com/draseemmalhotra/status/1613837487796850688?s=46&t=cf8JDgTEj5MKqpk1xmPL9w

Notably, the UK has been a touch more conservative than the USA and refused to roll out the vaccine to anyone 12 or under (https://fee.org/articles/england-refuses-to-offer-covid-shots-to-kids-under-12-while-us-cities-mandate-them-who-s-right/) because the risk/benefit ratio (which calls into question both safety and efficacy) is too skewed.

Remember, covid is age stratified: It is a disease of the elderly and children are basically immune. The vaccine injuries being reported widely now are also age stratified, in the other direction--they're worse for you the younger you are.

Seems like the mainstream media is at least starting to pull back from vaxxmaxxing. I wonder if goons will?

Edit: It's weird to be happy about inaction, but man am I so happy I never poisoned my children with this stuff.

If you want to keep posting in this thread, I’ll need to start engaging with people who are replying to you. Of course, I cannot and will not demand from you to punch your posting card in at 8am sharp and do 4 hours, but merely dropping takes and moving on won’t quite cut it, I’m afraid.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

knulla posted:

This is completely unacceptable mis-information. The COVID vaccines have been extensively tested in multiple clinical trials and adverse effects in children are effectively negligible.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you want to keep posting in this thread, I’ll need to start engaging with people who are replying to you. Of course, I cannot and will not demand from you to punch your posting card in at 8am sharp and do 4 hours, but merely dropping takes and moving on won’t quite cut it, I’m afraid.
The information in that post is completely contrary to overwhelming evidence gathered through lengthy clinical trials. It shouldn't be tolerated at all and there shouldn't be any pretense that there's a legitimate evidence-based discussion to be had.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 13, 2023

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

knulla posted:

Here's a cardiologist on the BBC no less

You're right, we should blindly accept everything we hear on mainstream media. At least, I'm pretty sure this is the main argument of anti vaxxers, from what I can glean from this post

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

knulla posted:

I'm double vaxxed and boosted. Still haven't had a single case of covid. I feel great and all my numbers from my last physical were excellent.

In fact I feel so good about my decision that I don't even feel compelled to go around posting long screeds trying desperately to justify it.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nocturtle posted:

This is completely unacceptable mis-information. The COVID vaccines have been extensively tested in multiple clinical trials and adverse effects in children are effectively negligible.

I worked for a spell in the pharmaceutical industry from the finance side of early-to-mid-stage drug research companies. The clinical trial of literally every other pharmaceutical goes through long-term safety testing in order to answer the question: What are the long-term benefits of this treatment and what are the costs? Do the costs outweigh the benefits?

The trials for the covid vaccines were completed less than two weeks ago (here's the link to Moderna's phase 3 trial at the source of truth for such information: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04470427)

Notably, all of the vaccine manufacturers blew up their placebo arms after a few months, so there is effectively no actual study possible anymore, except for observational studies of the population at large (you can thank me and my family for being voluntary controls).

Clinical trials for new pharamaceuticals take on average ~7.5 years. This is because of the very obvious fact: You can not know the long-term impacts of a treatment without long-term observation. There's no way around this. You're being foolish if you think that a) you can trust the pharmaceutical companies and b) they invented a time machine. Literally NO other way to know of long-term safety without observation.

Finally, they excluded pregnant women from the studies but then said the vaccine is safe for pregnant women. They couldn't know but said it was safe. Safe doesn't mean "causes no harm" it means "we have really good reason to believe it causes no harm, with a high standard". LOL! They were saying it's safe when any rational observer could see they were lying.

Here's an NBC article (pretty mainstream) calling for an end to covid boosters and vaccines for young people: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/younger-healthy-people-dont-need-another-covid-booster-vaccine-expert-rcna65324

The tide is turning, goons.

I can't imagine how scared people must've been to take new drugs with at least 3 brand new, never-used-in humans technologies, for a disease that posed close to zero risk for them (young & healthy--probably excludes a lot of goons, granted). (I'm counting the lipid nanoparticle as well as the other new stuff in the gene therapies.) And whatever though process led parents to put this poo poo into their kids' arms--man those parents have extremely questionable cognitive capacities.

knulla fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 13, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's interesting to see who gets probes dropped on them immediately for minor and subjective rules infractions, and who can go on for days flagrantly breaking the rules, posting sources they either didn't read or deliberately lied about etc and get "now now please start remembering the rules"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aseem_Malhotra posted:

In 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic and before there were any approved vaccines for COVID-19, Malhotra published a book[11] claiming that following his dietary advice could grant "metabolic optimization" which would, in 21 days, decrease the risk of viral infection. David Gorski criticized the book[1] because the biggest single risk factor for COVID-19 infection is age, which people cannot change. Gorski said that while Malhotra had a germ of a good point and that it was undeniable that losing weight for someone who is obese would reduce their risk of complications, the claims about the book were massively exaggerated and there was no specific evidence for the impact of lifestyle recommendations on the risk of COVID-19 or that Malhotra's version of a healthy diet was better or worse than any other healthy lifestyle recommendation
Seems to be one of those fad diet pushers: buy my book to protect yourself from latest thing.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Vincent Racaniello has said from the beginning that boosters weren't needed. He eventually caved and said one booster many months after the initial 2 doses could be useful.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

It's interesting to see who gets probes dropped on them immediately for minor and subjective rules infractions, and who can go on for days flagrantly breaking the rules, posting sources they either didn't read or deliberately lied about etc and get "now now please start remembering the rules"

Seems to be one of those fad diet pushers: buy my book to protect yourself from latest thing.

I wonder, do you go to the same lengths to validate the credentials of those that happen to share your view as those that don't?

My point posting that and the NBC article is not that the literally whos writing/appearing are trustworthy and should be agreed with--it's that the covid narrative is shifting. Goons have at basically every step from January 2020 to this very moment been completely hivemindedly on board with whatever the guys on the TV say. Since that's the case you should get ready to start changing your views on these vaccines.

At the very least, any intelligent observer, vaccinated or not, would've up til now been open to the possibility they were mislead or the earlier indications of safety and efficacy were incorrect.

Have you guys never watched TV? "WERE YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW DIAGNOSED WITH X AND PRESCRIBED Y? YOU ARE ENTITLED TO COMPENSATION!" Every one of those ads represents a "safe and effective" treatment that got through far more stringent and lengthy trials than did these covid vaccines, and yet were found later to be not safe and effective.

What leads you to believe this failure mode could never happen in this case?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

To be clear I'm not going to participate in any kind of discussion as to whether the vaccines are a net-negative or harming children at all, there's nothing to discuss. I only replied to the post above because I was low-key outraged to see this kind of sentiment expressed here unchallenged at all.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Oh, so you don't actually care about any of this, you just got made fun of by goons a couple years ago and you want your "told you so" moment.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Other things interesting to know: most D&D mods have a couple of threads where they are deferred to as the primary moderator, e.g., me for Eastern Europe threads, and definitely not me for this thread. I’m just showing up as the only person online in this moment.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Trust me, I'm a finance guy and the BBC agrees with me" is maybe less convincing a pitch than you imagine it is. Didn't you JUST link that guy saying we can trust him because he was on the teevee?

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 13, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

knulla posted:

I wonder, do you go to the same lengths to validate the credentials of those that happen to share your view as those that don't?

Looking someone up on Wikipedia is hardly "lengths", but yes if someone I don't know is touted as an authority I'll check into who they are before taking what they say at face value, is that so unreasonable? If they turn out to have a history of making claims not backed by evidence that's important context imho.

Anyway now that I know you have read my posts, any comment on the deaths column from your previous Australian NHS source, I assume you didn't notice it before, does this revelation affect your supposition that unvaccinated purebloods aren't being affected by covid?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 13, 2023

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

knulla posted:

My point posting that and the NBC article is not that the literally whos writing/appearing are trustworthy and should be agreed with

Dog you literally said "Here's a cardiologist on the BBC" lmfao "ummmmm excuse me, I turned the telly on this morning and the goons have GOT to see what I saw..."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemming posted:

You're right, we should blindly accept everything we hear on mainstream media. At least, I'm pretty sure this is the main argument of anti vaxxers, from what I can glean from this post

It's one of the rhetorical problems you have when you don't understand what your opponents think so you're unable to craft arguments that would be persuasive on them.

Since he's said several times that he believes the only reason anyone gets vaccinated is because they saw a talking head on TV say so, he thinks that simply showing us a different talking head on TV saying the opposite ought to be enough to create doubt.

The idea of evaluating someone's credentials or looking at the evidence seems entirely foreign, which explains his really basic mistakes like failing to read the Aussie NHS report carefully enough to notice that it supported the opposite of his claims about the vaccine.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

knulla posted:

Here's an NBC article (pretty mainstream) calling for an end to covid boosters and vaccines for young people: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/younger-healthy-people-dont-need-another-covid-booster-vaccine-expert-rcna65324

That is not what the article is saying. Not even close. And the paper it's based on is even further away from that conclusion.

Since new variants appear quickly and fade away quickly, Dr. Offit thinks that variant-specific vaccines are probably not worth the trouble. He points to studies suggesting that the Omicron boosters don't offer much more protection than a base COVID booster does, and he suggests that in the time it takes to develop a new variant-specific vaccine and get everyone vaccinated, the specific variants in the targeted booster will already have been supplanted by other variants. As long as the existing base-COVID vaccines remain effective, he thinks that we should save our efforts and resources for when a variant appears that the immunity from existing vaccines isn't effective against.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

That is not what the article is saying. Not even close. And the paper it's based on is even further away from that conclusion.

Since new variants appear quickly and fade away quickly, Dr. Offit thinks that variant-specific vaccines are probably not worth the trouble. He points to studies suggesting that the Omicron boosters don't offer much more protection than a base COVID booster does, and he suggests that in the time it takes to develop a new variant-specific vaccine and get everyone vaccinated, the specific variants in the targeted booster will already have been supplanted by other variants. As long as the existing base-COVID vaccines remain effective, he thinks that we should save our efforts and resources for when a variant appears that the immunity from existing vaccines isn't effective against.
As you say the article itself is also not a great summary (and the headline is atrocious), but it has a link to the paper in the New England Journal of Medicine which is pretty interesting
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2215780

quote:

Why did the strategy for significantly increasing BA.4 and BA.5 neutralizing antibodies using a bivalent vaccine fail? The most likely explanation is imprinting. The immune systems of people immunized with the bivalent vaccine, all of whom had previously been vaccinated, were primed to respond to the ancestral strain of SARS-CoV-2. They therefore probably responded to epitopes shared by BA.4 and BA.5 and the ancestral strain, rather than to new epitopes on BA.4 and BA.5. This effect could possibly be moderated by immunizing people either with BA.4 and BA.5 mRNA alone or with a greater quantity of BA.4 and BA.5 mRNA. Evidence in support of these strategies can be found in Pfizer–BioNTech’s data regarding its BA.1-containing bivalent vaccine, which showed that BA.1-specific neutralizing-antibody responses were greater in persons who were injected with a monovalent vaccine containing 30 μg or 60 μg of BA.1 mRNA or a bivalent vaccine containing 30 μg of BA.1 mRNA and 30 μg of ancestral-strain mRNA than in those who received a bivalent vaccine containing 15 μg of each type of mRNA.
Tldr: Once it's been exposed to the original vaccine, your immune system recognizes the bivalent vaccine as the same thing and just creates the same old antibodies.

And yeah nowhere in there does he say young people shouldn't get vaccinated, only that variant specific boosters don't seem to offer enough benefit to be worth the trouble in younger healthier people.

Knulla: straight up are you just taking headlines and summaries from r/pureblood, going "A HA! Vindication!!!" and posting them here without checking the original sources for yourself to confirm what reddit is telling you they say. It's okay, we're all friends here, you can say so, no one's gonna be mad.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 13, 2023

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I pretty much only lurk, but your post decided to have me read that guys posted article, and he indeed completely misrepresented what's in the actual article. He's going on my ignore but he should definitely not be permitted to post if he either doesn't read the articles or his reading comprehension is that poor. Either is disqualifying.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knulla posted:

I worked for a spell in the pharmaceutical industry from the finance side of early-to-mid-stage drug research companies.

I actually work in clinical development, have a PhD in molecular oncology, and am amused that you would consider the above to be any sort of credentials at all.

None of your arguments are particularly original or persuasive. Clinical trial length is typically a function of mandatory follow up duration in the acute response phase, typical progression time of the disease indication, recruitment rate, etc.

Since the recruitment rate for big COVID trials essentially tends to infinity (literal billions of people getting vaxxed almost simultaneously is a large population to draw from), the trials do not end up being as long as the industry median. I recently got a cancer therapy approved by FDA/EMA and other HAs based on 24month follow-up data, there is nothing particularly remarkable about that. The post-marketing surveillance for the pivotal COVID trials is also massive and robust and will continue for years.

But of course, the filthy mRNA molecules might launch a sneak attack at Year 5 post-injection! Despite the fact that they do not integrate into the genome, and are rapidly cleared by cell degradation along with the spike proteins they produce (on the surface of a miniscule localised collection of cells in your arm). And despite the fact that COVID infection itself produces exponentially more spike protein, as well as every other viral capsid protein and strand of nucleic acid that comprise the whole virion.

But the antibodies will suddenly mutate and create an autoimmune catastrophe at Year 5! Despite the fact that the antibody response is already mature, and there is no mechanism for this to happen, and even if there were it would logically be nothing compared to the same risk from actual COVID infection.

But the myocarditis is destroying young people's lives, they're dropping like flies! That AE is currently estimated at <0.002% of all vaccinated patients, often detected only by elevated troponin levels rather than any clinical symptomology, overwhelmingly low-grade and self-resolving. And once again, the reader is invited to ponder whether maybe getting actual COVID might not in fact be slightly worse ...

Anyway, that's already too many words in response to someone who is very mad for online reasons and unironicallybtyped "vaxxmaxxer" and "pureblood". Best of luck with the Great Replacement or whatever other poo poo your babybrain gets sucked into next.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

spankmeister posted:

Calling mRNA vaccines gene therapy is incredibly stupid. It demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the subject matter and also shows what kind of sources you base your opinion on.

On a related note: All this antivaxxer bullcrap about "gene therapy" and how spike protein is some evil poison etc and whatnot is completely and utterly ridiculous as well, because the vaccines don't do anything the virus doesn't already do.

Scared about mRNA in your cell producing spike protein? Guess what genius, the virus does the exact same thing. That's how viruses work.

Only that's not all that it does, the virus doesn't stop there, it makes your cells produce a bunch of other proteins and assemble them into more virus particles which infect other cells and they produce more virus and baby, now you've got an infection going.

'gene therapy ' is one of those phrases that immediately identify someone as having no clue about what they are talking about when it comes to mRNA stuff

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Alctel posted:

'gene therapy ' is one of those phrases that immediately identify someone as having no clue about what they are talking about when it comes to mRNA stuff

Also a tipoff that they have no idea what a virus does if they aren't even more scared of covid infection.
If a piece of mRNA encoding a single spike protein is "gene therapy" then a virus forcing your cells to replicate its entire RNA and all the proteins it needs including the same spike protein and also doing it in your lungs and potentiality heart and everywhere else is uhhh

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

knulla posted:

LOL love a linked post from a "verified" guy who pays for Twitter Blue.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JazzFlight posted:

LOL love a linked post from a "verified" guy who pays for Twitter Blue.

A year ago, it was verboten on any mainstream news source--hell, even on Twitter or on Youtube--to say things that could in anyway lead people to question the vaccines.

Now, many mainstream news sources, such as the BBC--do you think the twitter guy faked the BBC video?--are slowly walking back their positions.

Again, many, many treatments get FDA approval using the typical stringent process, and yet wind up hurting or killing people and inevitably in class action lawsuits.

The FDA (at the time influenced by the Sackler family) approved Oxycodone as a "non-habit forming painkiller" and brought on the opioid epidemic, leading to the largest corporate fine in world history.

Doctors posted:

So that neck pain of yours, I have these opioids.

The very same doctors that gave you that smooth-brain take are the same ones at your clinic around the corner today.

Are you guys somehow saying there's no way that the failure mode that happened thousands of times before could not possibly happen this time, even knowing that the testing done on these treatments was nothing like the rigorous usual testing process?

Are you saying you TRUST big pharmaceutical companies?

knulla fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 13, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The press was leading the charge to open everything back up and villifying any country or person who didn't want to. Open'er up healthcare finance people whose numbers you count yourself among were essentially writing CDC policy in the form of op-eds. So no, I'm not at all shocked that they're platforming and supporting a bunch of the stupidest and most harmful bullshit you could imagine, especially the UK stenographer corp which is the worst of them all. Your premise seems to be that we all love to kiss and hug the media here but I dare say it's a wrongly assumed one and you're going to need to find a stronger basis for your argument if you don't want to feel like you're on the defensive the entire time.

The only study you've posted actually said the opposite of your claims. You may be surprised to learn this but people are actually quite familiar with your arguments which is exactly why you're not being taken seriously.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alctel posted:

Like I said, I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for a while, from the finance side, so I have way more knowledge about this stuff than random joe schmoe like you.

I will now present absolute proof that what I said is completely true.

Here's Moderna's 10-Q filing from 30 June 2020: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1682852/000168285220000017/mrna-20200630.htm

Search, "gene therapy".

I'll quote:

Moderna's 10-q, page 70 posted:

Currently, mRNA is considered a gene therapy product by the FDA. Unlike certain gene therapies that irreversibly alter cell DNA and could act as a source of side effects, mRNA-based medicines are designed to not irreversibly change cell DNA; however, side effects observed in gene therapy could negatively impact the perception of mRNA medicines despite the differences in mechanism. In addition, because no product in which mRNA is the primary active ingredient has been approved, the regulatory pathway for approval is uncertain. The number and design of the clinical trials and preclinical studies required for the approval of these types of medicines have not been established, may be different from those required for gene therapy products, or may require safety testing like gene therapy products. Moreover, the length of time necessary to complete clinical trials and to submit an application for marketing approval for a final decision by a regulatory authority varies significantly from one pharmaceutical product to the next, and may be difficult to predict.

So, the FDA considered mRNA to be gene therapy as recently as Jun 30, 2020. That was changed later.

Why do you think they changed it?

I propose it was because selling the masses on taking an "experimental gene therapy" for a disease of the elderly and infirm was never gonna work. So they changed the definition of vaccine and called it a day.

You said that anyone who says "gene therapy" in relation to mRNA therapeutics is clueless. That means the FDA and the very companies working on these products were totally clueless up until the definition change. Right?

Do you agree that Moderna and the FDA were totally clueless until less than two years ago?

Edit: To boot, Moderna's filings all talk about why mRNA shouldn't be classified as gene therapy by the "clueless" FDA (your words), because it doesn't alter the DNA of the cells it interacts with. This is very important to them from the financial side because, as quoted above, gene therapies are really hard to get approved, for good reason. So, you could see how it's kind of a new, grey area. However, here's a report from the journal Science (where all the tinfoil hatters live right?) that shows there is SOME evidence that these mRNA vaccines DO actually integrate into your chromosome. Which would make them 100% gene therapies by anyone's definition: https://www.science.org/content/article/further-evidence-offered-claim-genes-pandemic-coronavirus-can-integrate-human-dna

knulla fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 13, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

knulla posted:

A year ago, it was verboten on any mainstream news source--hell, even on Twitter or on Youtube--to say things that could in anyway lead people to question the vaccines.

Now, many mainstream news sources, such as the BBC--do you think the twitter guy faked the BBC video?--are slowly walking back their positions.

Again, many, many treatments became FDA approved, using the typical stringent process, and yet wind up hurting or killing people and inevitably in class action lawsuits.

The FDA (at the time influenced by the Sackler family) approved Oxycodone as a "non-habit forming painkiller" and brought on the opioid epidemic, leading to the largest corporate fine in world history.

The very same doctors that gave you that smooth-brain take are the same ones at your clinic around the corner today.

Are you guys somehow saying there's no way things failure mode that happened thousands of times before could not possibly happen this time, even knowing that the testing done on these treatments was nothing like the rigorous usual testing process?

Are you saying you TRUST big pharmaceutical companies?

None of this is evidence that there's any problem with the COVID vaccines. You're just ranting vaguely about narratives and trust. Just because other things had issues doesn't mean there's any reason to think the COVID vaccine specifically has issues. And more importantly, it doesn't mean there's any reason to think that the COVID vaccine is worse than catching COVID.

Since you distrust big pharma and the FDA so much, do you not take any FDA-approved medications at all? Not even over-the-counter stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

knulla posted:

Like I said, I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for a while, from the finance side, so I have way more knowledge about this stuff than random joe schmoe like you.

I will now present absolute proof that what I said is completely true.

Here's Moderna's 10-Q filing from 30 June 2020: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1682852/000168285220000017/mrna-20200630.htm

Search, "gene therapy".

I'll quote:

So, the FDA considered mRNA to be gene therapy as recently as Jun 30, 2020. That was changed later.

Why do you think they changed it?

I propose it was because selling the masses on taking an "experimental gene therapy" for a disease of the elderly and infirm was never gonna work. So they changed the definition of vaccine and called it a day.

You said that anyone who says "gene therapy" in relation to mRNA therapeutics is clueless. That means the FDA and the very companies working on these products were totally clueless up until the definition change. Right?

Do you agree that Moderna and the FDA were totally clueless until less than two years ago?

in your very loving post posted:

Unlike certain gene therapies that irreversibly alter cell DNA and could act as a source of side effects, mRNA-based medicines are designed to not irreversibly change cell DNA; however, side effects observed in gene therapy could negatively impact the perception of mRNA medicines despite the differences in mechanism.

You are a loving idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)