Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's one of those ones you can't believe it just played on the radio for decades with no edits. Of course in the actual song the intention is they're doing the voice of somebody who thinks like that as a critique of capitalism but it doesn't age well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Tato posted:

I had to resort to the forums search, figuring that people were talking about Willow SOMEWHERE. The last few episodes were an improvement, I'll keep watching if it gets a Season 2 but it also ended in a satisfying enough place that I won't be crushed.

Yeah, this is how I found this thread too. I agree with the "D&D campaign" thing. I liked the spooky wizard at the start where he poofs in and out during combat. That was cool. There was enough homage to the movie, but I also felt like it gave the new characters room to breathe without being too much like "REMEMBER THIS?"

Soonmot posted:

Ha, I got a couple new songs for my playlist out of it. The one that plays at the end of the first episode is exactly my poo poo.

The music over the credits is fine, I don't mind that so much (Money for Nothing was A Choice) but, like, during the show itself. Crimson and Clover? That was a little weird.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Love Rat posted:

I liked Tasselhoff okay. Or at least I found his relationship with Flint rather sweet.

Of course, I've literally not read Dragonlance in like 30 years. I kind of dread the thought of revisiting it. I am, however, playing the SSI games again lol.
I've been re-reading Dragons of Autumn Twilight and it's remarkably poorly written, but the character relationships still land, Flint and Tass most of all.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I still, on a certain level, respect the second trilogy of those books for making toxic codependency the great world-ending threat of the setting.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

HackensackBackpack posted:

The music over the credits is fine, I don't mind that so much (Money for Nothing was A Choice) but, like, during the show itself. Crimson and Clover? That was a little weird.

lol i dug that cover enough to add it to my playlist, now I have three versions with that one, the original and the Joan Jett version

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not to drudge up any old Star Wars debates, but Willow in this series is kind of like how I wished Luke was in the sequels. Flawed, weaker, reluctant, but still active and willing to contribute and a decent mentor. Can ice some dudes if need be but it exhausts the hell out of him.

They are kind of remarkably similar. Even haunted by dreams of the future. They're just a farmer that got lucky.

Sequel Luke is not that far off from what I had hoped, sequel Willow is just about 10% more there but it's a big 10%

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I get wanting to do diminished luke if there are characters from the next generation who need to be set up to take over and assume the reins. But the ST isn't really built that way and it's not clear any of the younger characters will be around. If anyone rose to the challenge, assumed the mantle of leadership, and saved the galaxy it was 85 year old lando

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When the last music started playing I was kind of blown away, that sure was a fuckin choice

That intro guitar riff rules so it worked.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
They'll need to end of Walk of Life one of these days.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Auralnauts had kind of a fun one
https://youtu.be/A7WyQsmOHko

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HackensackBackpack posted:

They'll need to end of Walk of Life one of these days.
Thank you for bringing this into my life.

I've always loved that song and I have a film degree and it's like somebody made it just for me.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Soonmot posted:

The old goldbox games? How did you get those to run, PM me if it's :filez: stuff.

Also, watch Willow, it' fun, it's cute, it's gay.

I listened to the Dragons of * series two years ago after not having read them since their release and they, more or less, hold up. A little grimmer and mopey than I remember and there's stuff in Summer Flame that I straight up do not buy, but they were okay. Man, as a kid though, I bought every single paperback in the dragonlance line, I would devour those books.

Yeah, I must have owned like 40 of those drat novels in middle school.

I am playing the old Gold Box games. Collectors versions were released on Steam a little while ago, and run perfectly with Dosbox.

I stupidly got rid of the actual Gold Box games (I had them all) years ago as part of my "purge old software" downsizing, a decision I really regret. They really are handsome thing to behold. Same with all my original Ultima boxes. Gone, right along with most of my 2nd edition AD&D source books and box sets.

Relevant to this thread, I do still own all my SW RPG source books.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Aw I love the new Willow show, it's so wholesome and adventuresome, the characters are all cute and kind and gay.

Willow looks loving great for... what, a 65 year old man?

I cannot stand this show.

I actually found the old Willow movie pretty charming and my roommates and I used to put it on late at night and drink every time someone says PECK.

This new show is loving awful. I don't know who it's for, and I probably don't want to know them. It seems the old Willow movie could be aimed at kids, but this show is not really for kids, and is aimed at young adults who are into shipping characters, yet it also seems to have sanitized a lot of the darker stuff in Willow. It also is not aimed at nostalgia nerds like Star Wars is because all this quippy young adult "THAT HAPPENED" dialogue is loving awful to my old ears.

I hate the costuming. They wear denim and jumpsuits and graphic tees.

The worst part is that Warwick is doing his best and I feel bad for him being stuck in this poo poo show. It's also funny that he and Sorsha are clearly quite old, yet they were obviously supposed to be in their early 20s in the original movie, and this show is set only 17 years after it. Time was loving hard on them.

This show wants to be woke but the woke option would have actually been to let a bunch of real little people be in the show. Instead Willow has to be a side character in his own loving show full of troubled teens spewing modern dialogue. His dwarf sidekick was great so of course they kill him off immediately to give more screen time to these awful loving teens. The old movie gave all the other dwarf characters way more screentime.

The music is bad. The old Willow movie had good tunes. What happened? How could they skip the dwarf bbq song? It's a banger. I like Crimson and Clover but gently caress this highschool dance in the woods. Ugh. It's worse than Booka Boba and ObiWan.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 13, 2023

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

LividLiquid posted:

Yes. And people just straight-up had American accents in the original too. It was anachronistic as hell.

American accents were not the problem. The accents don't matter. What sucks is that it's always pressing up against the 4th wall with the princess and Elora Danan talking like nobody else. What anachronistic stuff was there in the original Willow? Val Kilmer being American does not count.

EDIT: My bad on the 20 page response, I misread the page count and thought I was 1 page behind rather than loads.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 13, 2023

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Why the gently caress did I sleep on Andor, this is the best Star Wars anything ever.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It really loving is.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I have a friend who started watching Andor this week and it's just not his thing. I keep having to stop myself from being the guy who tries to debate you about why your opinion is wrong.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I'm only halfway through Andor (second episode of the prison factory). I love seeing the "competent" side of the Empire. At some point all the mustache-twirling Eeevil became white noise, so it's refreshing and almost admirable to see such a well-implemented program of dehumanization and beaurocracy. I always wondered how the Empire ever managed to get/stay on top outside of Space Wizardry.

I love the b-plot of Gabe from The Office trying his best to be a Star Wars Bad Guy(tm) while living with his mother.

Stellan Skarsgard is so great.

Am I the only one that did a double-take at the morning-after scene in I think episode two, where I could swear they had to digitally re-touch Bix as she's pulling her pants on? Seemed way more risqué than I was expecting from a Star War.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I love seeing the "competent" side of the Empire. At some point all the mustache-twirling Eeevil became white noise, so it's refreshing and almost admirable to see such a well-implemented program of dehumanization and beaurocracy.

\
\

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I love how this guy thought he was the protagonist of an entirely different show.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I thought his mom was very mean at first. Then I thought, loving good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She's well meaning but also buys into the kind of toxic mindset that creates unstable wannabe "heroes" like Syril. She belittles him for wanting to be special and then praises him only after he achieves a promotion because it validates her decision to shuffle him off to uncle Harlow

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Is she well meaning? She might be correct that her son's a piece of poo poo, but her demanding transactional form of parenting is like 90% of the reason he is like he is. If she "wants what's best for him" it's only because she sees that as being good for her too.

She's pretty bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eiba posted:

Is she well meaning? She might be correct that her son's a piece of poo poo, but her demanding transactional form of parenting is like 90% of the reason he is like he is. If she "wants what's best for him" it's only because she sees that as being good for her too.

She's pretty bad.

She's well meaning in the sense that she does want what's best for Syril but her views on what is best are horribly warped by the system of success the Empire promotes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

She hates her son and wants him to suffer.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

She's a big believer in "Papa" Palpatine's Parenting for Success, a galactic best-seller for 12 cycles

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

stev posted:

She hates her son and wants him to suffer.

I dont see it that way. Andor doesn't go out of its way to make its villains sympathetic, but it does emphasize that every monster starts off as a human and most villains still remain human even after they do atrocious things. Mama Karn can still love her son while promoting a toxic mentality that exacerbates his bad habits and drives him further down the road to full fash.

I find Syril really fascinating because we're watching a guy who started with reasonable intentions (bring a murderer to justice after his superiors ignore it to cover up their own corruption) completely fall into the fascist mindset that's been fed to him for years. You're the hero, you'll get the girl, you're the only sane man, action is needed! His mother feeds him that poo poo, Mosk reinforces it, Dedra becomes his aspriation and his delusions grow because he's never challenged on his beliefs, only belittled for not trying hard enough or encouraged to try harder.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This season of Karn was amazing. He went through all these trials, hit rock bottom after being knocked down by the corrupt system, ended up finding a pretty lady in the corrupt system who thought like he did, kept fighting and investigating, and eventually managed to prove himself worthy, sure the villain ended up getting away but, he saved the girl gaining some of her respect, and now they both can get to work on taking down Axis and Andor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Would Karn be the kind of guy who puts "Politically Moderate" on his dating profile because conservatives don't get dates.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Arc Hammer posted:

Would Karn be the kind of guy who puts "Politically Moderate" on his dating profile because conservatives don't get dates.

Definitely not, Karn doesn't strike me as someone who would want to date a person that isn't conservative.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Neo Rasa posted:

Definitely not, Karn doesn't strike me as someone who would want to date a person that isn't conservative.

Karn is the “fiscally conservative but socially liberal” who votes for the MAGA candidate every time, he’s also the guy who stans for Jordan Peterson

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Arc Hammer posted:

Nope, it'd be some like quote from a Clone from some clone wars propaganda.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neo Rasa posted:

He wants to made Dedre his tradwife.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't believe AMCA covered this whole arc without mentioning Tup's topknot and teardrop tattoo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arc Hammer posted:

She's well meaning in the sense that she does want what's best for Syril but her views on what is best are horribly warped by the system of success the Empire promotes.

Her lovely parenting has been going on a lot longer than the 14 years the Empire has been around.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Her lovely parenting has been going on a lot longer than the 14 years the Empire has been around.

The Republic was in a long state of decay before the Empire washed it away. The only difference is the Empire is more mask off about certain issues that the Republic pretended to act concerned over.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm supposing that she wants what's best for her, and that only incidentally and partially covers what's best for Syril.

She says things like (paraphrased) 'who's going to take care of me if you gently caress up,' and continually hits him with the guilt of how his actions affect her.

From what we have seen I do not believe she would legitimately sacrifice anything for Syril's well being. She merely invests in him.

I don't know what's actually going on in her heart. Maybe she is well meaning and thinks everything she's doing is tough love. But in the end she's acting indistinguishably from the type of abusive parent who feels they're owed from parenting a child.

And I'm saying this with the opinion that a hosed up well meaning parent would be the more interesting and nuanced character. If she shows any signs of actual self-sacrifice for Syril's sake that would be a neat development and it wouldn't be out of nowhere. But right now she's done nothing to distinguish herself from someone purely selfish and emotionally manipulative.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

twistedmentat posted:

He wants to made Dedre his tradwife.

no, he wants her to give him orders and call him a good boy when he carries them out, not be subservient to him.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Grapes! posted:

This new show is loving awful. I don't know who it's for, and I probably don't want to know them.

It's for me, I'm old enough to have seen the movie in theaters and still have fond memories of middle school summer daycamp where we're all shouting "WE GO DIS WAY!!" like the brownies.

I loved the show, everyone was hot, it was funny. The action needs work, but aside from one shot in the finale of folks just spinning their swords around, it was good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
bad batch ep was cool. head and shoulders above the insipid tripe big hat Dave’s been serving up so far.