Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DLC Inc posted:

realistically while hilarious, Tony Khan might legit work himself to death if he and his father bought WWE. Dude already has his hands in football/futbol/AEW + ROH. Buying WWE and having a new stranglehold on nearly all American wrestling would drive him batty.

the "good ending" of this happening would be banishing all McMahons/Haitch from the product and gifting the company to the Rhodes Bros or something

I think realistically AEW would merge into WWE and Tony would just run WWE. With AEW's rights up in the air and WWE being the stronger brand name it makes business sense to fold AEW into WWE. Not that I'd like that outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The more companies he buys the better Fulham gets. Team was relegated before ROH purchase, now they are flying high!

Can't argue with science

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tony Khan should buy WWE and have Cody and Triple H run it, bing bong so simple

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

rotinaj posted:

Tony Khan should buy WWE and have Cody and Triple H run it, bing bong so simple

He should never talk to them both at the same time though. And he should constantly feed them misinformation about one another

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

JUNGLE BOY posted:

He should never talk to them both at the same time though. And he should constantly feed them misinformation about one another

Keeping the spirit of WWE alive.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'd rather not have another wrestling monopoly and I don't think TK could handle it creatively. The only outcome I see from TK (or any one person) owning everything is American TV wrestling going to poo poo again, albeit for different reasons than it did under Vince.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CombineThresher posted:

I'd rather not have another wrestling monopoly and I don't think TK could handle it creatively. The only outcome I see from TK (or any one person) owning everything is American TV wrestling going to poo poo again, albeit for different reasons than it did under Vince.

The best case scenario I keep thinking of is that Shad and Tony buy it with some partner and hire someone else to run it completely separate from AEW and Tony. Just operate as two completely different entities if they plan to keep both companies going as-is. Don't know how realistic that actually is, but Tony would for sure work himself into an early grave trying to run both companies at the same time the way he runs AEW currently.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think Tony should buy Wwe and Vince should buy aew

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Here has been my hot take on this.

Remember when Netflix lost 200,000 subscribers and the stock tanked 75%? That was the first small hint of a decline in revenue and investors bolted.

WWE has just been failing upward somehow, getting more and more for their TV rights fees that just seems unjustified. If they receive anything less than the previous offer, that stock is going to tank so loving hard when it's currently at an all time high. And with ratings declining it seems like they are not going to get the same rights fees they got at the last renewal.

The plan is to sell the company prior to the contract negotiations in the fall. The company then goes private, everyone finally gets to cash out on their stock holdings, and then when they get less for rights fees in the Fall it doesn't matter anymore. Vince would easily lose over a billion dollars if rights fees go down and the stock tanks before a sale.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Historically American wrestling companies were monopolies. They didn't have competition. They had these protected territories, and in some cases were illegal monopolies. Some were bad, some were good. It wasn't about competition it was about how good the booker was.

But yes we don't need to worry about Tony having a monopoly, and as said above Shad is keeping WWE and he's a better booker.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I think Tony should buy Wwe and Vince should buy aew

Strangers on a train but they kill the others promotion

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I’m on board with whoever said Tony should buy WWE, take the tape library, then just sell the rest of the company.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Astro7x posted:

Remember when Netflix lost 200,000 subscribers and the stock tanked 75%? That was the first small hint of a decline in revenue and investors bolted.

WWE has just been failing upward somehow, getting more and more for their TV rights fees that just seems unjustified. If they receive anything less than the previous offer, that stock is going to tank so loving hard when it's currently at an all time high. And with ratings declining it seems like they are not going to get the same rights fees they got at the last renewal.

The plan is to sell the company prior to the contract negotiations in the fall. The company then goes private, everyone finally gets to cash out on their stock holdings, and then when they get less for rights fees in the Fall it doesn't matter anymore. Vince would easily lose over a billion dollars if rights fees go down and the stock tanks before a sale.

This take makes a lot of very good sense.

Vince may want to just cash out. The possibility of it going private and him staying on would be a plus but not the primary goal.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
He also keeps Cody's contract just for funsies

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

your friend wicka posted:

I’m on board with whoever said Tony should buy WWE, take the tape library, then just sell the rest of the company.

The Khans are not interested in buying WWE as a business acquisition. Shad just wants to get the tape library as a nice present for Tony since he's been working so hard.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

Their ratings are much better compared to TV now than they were at the start of the pandemic. Network TV has absolutely cratered. Smackdown ranks higher on its night and way higher for the week than it a few months into the deal. Cable has fallen off a cliff, so even with Raw in the .4s it's not just #1 for the night it's ranked very high for the week.

Great point of comparison: When Dynamite debuted with a .62 it wasn't #1 for the night. If Dynamite got a .62 last night it would have been #1 for the night and almost doubled the NBA game that tied Dynamite at a .33 at #2 this week.

Smackdown looked like it was a bad deal for Fox after the first big week, but now it looks perfectly fine for a Friday and it do OK on actual competitive nights.

Young Sheldon was #1 last Thursday with like a .65 and it's a juggernaut.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Anthem should buy WWE and put it on AXS

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Astro7x posted:

this is more than just wrestling though. sports business journalists have been talking about the 'live tv rights bubble' popping for years now. obviously football or whatever is a bigger draw than wrestling, but its also pulling in more money for its rights licensing. i dont think the bubble pops just for wrestling, maybe smackdown ends up being the canary in the coal mine but imo wwe's rights fees dont comes down til they all do.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

I think realistically AEW would merge into WWE and Tony would just run WWE. With AEW's rights up in the air and WWE being the stronger brand name it makes business sense to fold AEW into WWE. Not that I'd like that outcome.

Zero doubt about this. AEW title holders (usually) win feuds that merge the belts, a couple PPVs stick around and maybe it's RAW-Dynamite-Smackdown run of shows. But Khan would just wear WWE's skin while doing AEW and that would be the smart thing to do

post hole digger posted:

this is more than just wrestling though. sports business journalists have been talking about the 'live tv rights bubble' popping for years now. obviously football or whatever is a bigger draw than wrestling, but its also pulling in more money for its rights licensing. i dont think the bubble pops just for wrestling, maybe smackdown ends up being the canary in the coal mine but imo wwe's rights fees dont comes down til they all do.

They're wrong. We're about to see a Streaming bubble burst because studios collectively realize it was better to make 2 Billion doing Top Gun or Avatar, and it was stupid fighting over nonexistant scraps with Netflix.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Their ratings are much better compared to TV now than they were at the start of the pandemic. Network TV has absolutely cratered. Smackdown ranks higher on its night and way higher for the week than it a few months into the deal. Cable has fallen off a cliff, so even with Raw in the .4s it's not just #1 for the night it's ranked very high for the week.

Great point of comparison: When Dynamite debuted with a .62 it wasn't #1 for the night. If Dynamite got a .62 last night it would have been #1 for the night and almost doubled the NBA game that tied Dynamite at a .33 at #2 this week.

Smackdown looked like it was a bad deal for Fox after the first big week, but now it looks perfectly fine for a Friday and it do OK on actual competitive nights.

Young Sheldon was #1 last Thursday with like a .65 and it's a juggernaut.

TNT and TBS are in like 20 million fewer homes than when AEW started, iirc.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

your friend wicka posted:

TNT and TBS are in like 20 million fewer homes than when AEW started, iirc.

It's about 15 million. But cable as a whole is declining faster in viewers than people are cutting the cord and network is declining fast despite there being no cord (but a lot of people don't bother to watch it when they don't have cable.)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

NutritiousSnack posted:

They're wrong. We're about to see a Streaming bubble burst because studios collectively realize it was better to make 2 Billion doing Top Gun or Avatar, and it was stupid fighting over nonexistant scraps with Netflix.

My prediction from the very beginning of the streaming wars was all Netflix had to do was ride it out. They had to invest in their original programming to stay alive when all the companies started pulling their content and starting up their own streaming services. But if they rode it out all of these companies would come to the conclusion that it's not worth the effort and money to run an entire streaming service when you can just license the content out to someone else.

Sure, Comcast can pay themselves a billion dollars for The Office and worry about subscriptions and metric and blah blah blah or they could just license it out and let someone else worry about it while they cash their billion dollar check. Already we're seeing WBD pulling stuff off HBO with plans to license it out.

There's not enough pie for Netflix, Peacock, Paramount+, AppleTV, HBOMax, AMC+, Hulu, Disney, Prime, and on and on and on. All that content is going to come back to Netflix along with a few streaming survivors like Disney+, probably Prime, and maybe Hulu or whatever HBO becomes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MassRafTer posted:

It's about 15 million. But cable as a whole is declining faster in viewers than people are cutting the cord and network is declining fast despite there being no cord (but a lot of people don't bother to watch it when they don't have cable.)

Where is everyone going? Streaming? Because most of the streaming services aren't exactly killing it right now. Are people just less interested in movies and tv these days?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Where is everyone going? Streaming? Because most of the streaming services aren't exactly killing it right now. Are people just less interested in movies and tv these days?

tik tok

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

1glitch0 posted:

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

The gently caress is that!?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Majinfoose posted:

The gently caress is that!?

Everyone died and turned into trees like David the Gnome

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pretty sure its from a video game. hes saying people play games now instead of watching stuff.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

Streaming services have reached a bottleneck but they also dramatically expanded in recent years. So you do have a lot of people watching those services. Plus people are on their phones. But when you have Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Netflix, Prime and HBO Max all having significant subscriber counts it adds up.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 13, 2023

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Old people dying and not being replaced, maybe? I assume a big part of it is your last sentence though, a lot of people are probably just put off by the cost and complexity of it and have bailed entirely.

At the end of the day our economic system probably makes it impossible to transition from cable to streaming in the way most consumers would want because it requires the companies involved to make less money.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

MassRafTer posted:

Streaming services have reached a bottleneck but they also dramatically expanded in recent years. So you do have a lot of people watching those services. Plus people are on their phones. But when you have Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Netflix, Prime and HBO Max all having significant subscriber counts it adds up.

streaming services are like the wrestling territories of old, dinosaurs just waiting for the extinction event brought on by a young upstart like My Friends Plex Server

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The answer is Tik Tok

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I feel like this makes it seem more likely than not that the Khans could buy it. At first I thought it was just baseless speculation that they COULD be interested if they wanted to be since they're loaded and already run one wrestling company.

I guess if the only choices are Saudi Arabia and the Khans, I'd pick the Khans as a fan. At least Tony will treat the history and tape library well. I just don't want another loving wrestling monopoly, and I have no interest in a WWE that has Vince involved in it at any level.

You read this wrong, Khans and Saudis are the only buyers who would take it private. There are other buyers.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jackofarcades posted:

You read this wrong, Khans and Saudis are the only buyers who would take it private. There are other buyers.

Ohhh that's an important piece I overlooked

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
There's an insane amount of content out there. People just subscribe to the stuff they care about, so no one streaming service can plausibly bring in enough subscribers to actually turn profit. If Paramount, Netflix, and Disney can't make a profit from streaming, it seems very unlikely that even niche providers with dedicated audiences (Chiller) can do likewise.

It's why the cable bundle was the golden goose - you HAD to take those other channels to get the ones you wanted. Now you don't. Given how everything in capital focuses on continual growth and always making more, it seems everyone in the industry is going insane and trying to deny the simple truth that this thing is NEVER going to be as profitable as it was when you had cable TV and DVD sales both at their height. It's never going to be that good for them again.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Ah yes I've seen Kota Ibushi wrestle at this location

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Streaming services have gotten so bad that outside of comfort shows I'd put on loop just for something to have on in the background, I'm actually finding more stuff to watch on TV again than the several combined streaming services I've got. Of course, the solution is going to end up being what it was just before Netflix streaming started because why would I pay $80 a month in streaming services that only have one show each on them

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's hilarious that TV companies saw the oversaturation that led to the death of cable and decided to repeat the exact same thing with streaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

1glitch0 posted:

It's not that they are less interested, it's that there's never been MORE content as convenient to watch as there is now. It's just spread across too many services, so people are picking and choosing.