Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Wasn't that also a thing way way back? My grandad would tell me stories of guys who'd play first/second division then turn out for pub teams with a fake name

Not in a Lucha costume, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Wasn't that also a thing way way back? My grandad would tell me stories of guys who'd play first/second division then turn out for pub teams with a fake name

Jurgen Klinsmann did this for half a season with a Californian team in what is now USL League Two.

https://perennialunderachievers.blog/2015/03/22/jay-goppingen/amp/

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

ilmucche posted:

I may once have been sent a certificate for winning a university five-a-side tournament that I definitely played in and knew about beforehand

that one of my friends was good mates with someone who was on the books at the local league two club is completely irrelevant to the story, but by all accounts I played surprisingly well

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Suspiciously lego-haired Spanish police officers charging Newcastle's best players to nobble their title chances. You read it here first

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He should get the pulis treatment

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Suspiciously lego-haired Spanish police officers charging Newcastle's best players to nobble their title chances. You read it here first

Whoa whoa whoa

That’s well north of his jurisdiction, counselor

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1613879289367171074

yikes

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Looks like he pleased "Not Guilty on account of wealth and connections".

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

seems the defence also had a video showing one of the women appearing to have sex willingly, which has just thrown doubt on all the other accusers

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Reminder that Andrew Tate's text messages just got published where he texted "I love raping you" and it didn't even go to trial because there was doubt they could get a conviction. Didier Drogba said it best, It's a loving disgrace

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

They're still going to try Mendy on another handful of charges, just not until the summer.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just a bleak situation all round and now I have to listen to a billion takes about how women should never be trusted (not here obv just in general because people are mugs)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Depressing poo poo but maybe they can get him on the couple of charges where the jury couldn't reach a verdict this time.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
So one of the victims seemed to be more willing in one of the videos, that’s why all charges of rape are not guilty??

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Wonton posted:

So one of the victims seemed to be more willing in one of the videos, that’s why all charges of rape are not guilty??

Well, no. We only know a bit of the evidence that was presented. But apparently one of the charges was dismissed by the judge because there was a video of one of the women having “enthusiastic and obviously consensual sex” with Mendy, and Mendy apparently was able to talk to the jury about that. There could have lot of other issues with the case, but it doesnt seem like anyone is reporting how the evidence went in any centralized article.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Also here’s an article that goes into a little more detail on his defense. Sounds like the case had some pretty significant issues. Realistically, if the victims all knew eachother and one was caught out in a lie, getting a conviction was going to be really tough.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/13/benjamin-mendy-case-not-guilty-verdicts-came-down-to-question-of-consent

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

Just a bleak situation all round and now I have to listen to a billion takes about how women should never be trusted (not here obv just in general because people are mugs)

I find this article in the guardian to be quite informative.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/13/benjamin-mendy-case-not-guilty-verdicts-came-down-to-question-of-consent

The crazier part of the trial is dropping charges against saha when a sex video emerged as evidence. It’s messed up that sexting saved his defense and just encourages sexting as insurance

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Sounds like Mendy basically hosted orgies at his house on the reg, and I guess it's gonna be super difficult to prove beyond doubt that anyone who attended the parties and had at least some consensual sex there had non consensual sex later on.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Sounds like Mendy basically hosted orgies at his house on the reg, and I guess it's gonna be super difficult to prove beyond doubt that anyone who attended the parties and had at least some consensual sex there had non consensual sex later on.

yeah you’d be super naïve to believe they don’t know that too

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I don't want to do lols at the rape case, but just top, top tier reporting here

quote:

Ms Wilding cited the account of another woman, aged, 23, who claimed Mr Matturie raped her at 05:30 in Mr Mendy's Mercedes while on a trip to a local garage to buy more alcohol for a party at the footballer's house.

She stayed at Mr Mendy's house afterwards and had sex with three other men, and as she stepped out of the gates at Mr Mendy's mansion at 10:03, sent a text to a friend saying: "Hahaha I have slept with Jack Grealish", the jury heard.

the three other men will remain unnamed

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

blue footed boobie posted:

Also here’s an article that goes into a little more detail on his defense. Sounds like the case had some pretty significant issues. Realistically, if the victims all knew eachother and one was caught out in a lie, getting a conviction was going to be really tough.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/13/benjamin-mendy-case-not-guilty-verdicts-came-down-to-question-of-consent

Trouble with a lot of rape cases like this it's essentially "he said, she said" and if the defense is able to produce some circumstantial evidence that goes against "she said" it's gonna be hard going proving rape beyond a reasonable doubt.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
lol mendy sounds despicable but in a very legal way

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the footballer equivalent of a Borgia

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I wonder what this means for his career. Even if he's not guilty, you can't imagine many clubs are going to want to get involved with this complete PR nightmare.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
“one-night stands, often lasting just a few minutes”

Brutal.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

on a lighter note, the shakira diss track on pique is pretty funny

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s part of the natural law that a footballer married to a pop star must cheat on her

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

jesus WEP posted:

it’s part of the natural law that a footballer married to a pop star must cheat on her

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

on a lighter note, the shakira diss track on pique is pretty funny

I wonder how their kids feel. Must be pretty weird when your mum puts out a record breaking diss track about your dad, especially given that they were together for a long time

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

oh i’m sure like many children of parents undergoing a messy divorce they just want to crawl into a hole and die

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hey kids here's a song where your mom tells your dad that she's as good at sex as two 22-year-olds!!! Have fun figuring out what that means in a few years time

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/pnefc/status/1615100463623413791

:allears:

E: From a post on reddit:

quote:

From the forum:

Ben Whiteman to Watford leaked
The leaker has their Spurs ticket revoked
The leaker then spills more including a plan to put the club in admin in 2024
The leaker is threatened by Ridsdale
The club tell the newspapers it's not legit
The screenshots leak, confirming it is Ridsdale
The club lie about it not being Ridsdale in this statement

TheRat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 16, 2023

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how hthe gently caress is he still buying football clubs and running them into the ground

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Jose posted:

how hthe gently caress is he still buying football clubs and running them into the ground

very carefully

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jose posted:

Because the "Fit & Proper" test in England is a loving joke?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If it can’t stop peter “crimes against football” ridsdale or saudi “crimes against literally everything and everyone” arabia

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

If it can’t stop peter “crimes against football” ridsdale or saudi “crimes against literally everything and everyone” arabia
Yeah and it also couldn't stop the Glazer brothers basically buying Manchester United on margin using the club itself as collateral.

That would have earned them the below treatment at the NFL board meetings if they'd tried buying the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a similar manner:

https://twitter.com/joshuagale75/status/1614014833770532864

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 18, 2023

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Incredible lol

https://twitter.com/RJConway92/status/1615620760520855553?t=loV-AdYoQrxxpChkGyTFtQ&s=19

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jose posted:

Incredible lol

Lol loving hell. N-word, curry muncher, dark skin, terrorist.

"Nah he's not consciously racist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
John yems ambient racism to relax/manage to