Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I do appreciate that they are going all in on triggering cultural conservatives, though, what with the gay moms, and everyone being non-white except Fred, who is a complete rear end in a top hat.

I will be disappointed if Velma’s stepdad, who is described as “alt-right”, doesn’t accuse everyone he dislikes of being a “groomer”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Watched the first couple episodes of Velma. It’s not a total trainwreck but it’s definitely a mixed bag. Velma herself can be annoying but I actually kind of like straight edge Shaggy, secret drug dealer Daphne and rich dipshit Fred… most of the time. Certain gags like Norville being stuck in the friend zone are pretty obnoxious. I also think leaning so hard on meta humor really holds the show back. It’s capable of having solid character based jokes but its attempts to break the fourth wall usually fall flat because it doesn’t have much that’s particularly insightful or clever to say. Hopefully that stuff will get toned down over time.

Also, it probably goes without saying but the shower scene at the beginning featuring a bunch of almost nude minors was… uncomfortable and not appreciated. Thankfully the show itself outright says that this was a ratings stunt and that the rest of the series won’t do that kind of thing so it may not be an issue going forward.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 12, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I mean, saying they're doing it for ratings doesn't, like, undo that they chose to do that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
"We only did it ironically" is hardly, if ever, an excuse for doing something bad.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Especially when that irony is trying to make the point "people want to see naked teens."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phineas & Ferb is apparently coming back with a new series:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/phineas-and-ferb-revival-dan-povenmire-disney-branded-television-1235488876/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they will outlast the disney channel at this rate

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kinda figured that something like this was coming when they put out the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsteJIc6Ds

Kind of a shame that Milo Murphy didn't catch on, but P+F is good stuff. Maybe if it's had this much life in it, Disney might give more attention to what comes out of its TV division in general.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Okay, cool, now bring back DuckTales and all the other shows Bob Chapek murdered.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, cool, now bring back DuckTales and all the other shows Bob Chapek murdered.

Why didn't he like DuckTales?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
DuckTales ran a really respectable 60 episodes and had a satisfying narrative conclusion.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

DuckTales ran a really respectable 60 episodes and had a satisfying narrative conclusion.

So why no chip and dale.

gently caress just take all the disney afternnoon shows and reboot them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Isn't a Darkwing Duck reboot coming via Seth Rogen or something

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Why didn't he like DuckTales?

Three season rule. I don't remember if it actually ended well, I kinda checked out on it and fell behind on watching things in general. I think there was some nebulous idea to spinoff a new Darkwing Duck, but I don't think new series take on him was all that great.

Come to think of it, weren't there supposed to series in the works to follow the Tangled series with things based on other Disney princesses? Whatever happened with those?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

Isn't a Darkwing Duck reboot coming via Seth Rogen or something

Supposedly, I don’t think we’ve heard anything about it since the initial announcement

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Three season rule. I don't remember if it actually ended well, I kinda checked out on it and fell behind on watching things in general. I think there was some nebulous idea to spinoff a new Darkwing Duck, but I don't think new series take on him was all that great.

Come to think of it, weren't there supposed to series in the works to follow the Tangled series with things based on other Disney princesses? Whatever happened with those?

They had to scramble to turn their season ending arc into a series ending one instead and rushed through at least one, maybe two seasons of story ideas in the span of about 4 episodes, but they more or less stuck the landing. But there is a definite air of "Oh, I guess this is just over now. Okay." to the last three episodes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the three season rule tied into the thing I've heard about voice actors in the guild getting an auto pay bump?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Is the three season rule tied into the thing I've heard about voice actors in the guild getting an auto pay bump?

Yes. Chapek didn't want to pay union-mandated rates, so nothing but unstoppable juggernauts like Phinneas and Ferb made it past a third season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Vs The Forces Of Evil got 4 seasons but that’s the only other exception I can think of

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kim Possible, Star Wars Rebels, and whatever comes out of the Marvel Animation side of the business seem to be the other big exceptions. Possibly also the original Ducktales, depending on whether they had developed the policy by that point.

It can get more confusing from how most 90s and early 2000s cartoons were formats that would naturally be more shortlived, and also from the fact that Disney in its earlier TV adventures had a tendency of starting out shows by making the full amount of episodes required for syndication* up top rather than do seasons a bit at a time to see whether it's successful or make tweaks for later episodes, so the shows that went for more than one season are the ones that had such a success that they dipped back into the well to put out more in dozen batches.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. Chapek didn't want to pay union-mandated rates, so nothing but unstoppable juggernauts like Phinneas and Ferb made it past a third season.

Nah, that's something separate. When people talk about companies screwing with seasons to avoid paying union rates, I think the rule the're talking about is specifically the rule about having to pay extra for any show with multiple seasons, and the most common example of screwing with that rule is Netflix, which pretty obviously tell from their tendency to run shows with weirdly low episode counts, they have a habit of commissioning a lot of shows as one big season and then slicing that up to release it as two seasons. That's why Netflix shows seem to be extra flighty. They stretch out the release of their shows and then really drag their heels on thinking about whether they want the show to keep going at the extra premium for continuing.

Bob Chapek wasn't even in charge that long, and Disney's policy goes back long before him.

I'm not really sure of what Disney's internal logic about it is other than viewing TV as a format as a small time thing they don't want to invest big on (which means not much marketing or merchandising), child audiences will also tend to be flighty as they grow up and out of the demographic, and if something big does come out of their original TV content, that's just going to be competing with Disney's other behemoth properties out in the pop culture sphere, and most companies tend to be uncomfortable about that sort of internal competition.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Even back in the 90s they seemed to have had a similar philosophy for a lot of shows (Aladdin and Gargoyles spring to mind for example, and in the case of the former each season was far shorter than the last)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dawgstar posted:

I'm all for unions but that was probably in retrospect a really dumb move on their part as it results in all but the absolutely most popular shows getting canned earlier than they should thus costing jobs rather than helping actors like intended, they'd probably be better off abolishing that rule

Larryb posted:

Star Vs The Forces Of Evil got 4 seasons but that’s the only other exception I can think of

That one(along with the Star Wars series that was on at the time) was an experiment that backfired hard for Disney as the ratings for Star Vs cratered hard

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

readingatwork posted:

Watched the first couple episodes of Velma. It’s not a total trainwreck but it’s definitely a mixed bag. Velma herself can be annoying but I actually kind of like straight edge Shaggy, secret drug dealer Daphne and rich dipshit Fred… most of the time. Certain gags like Norville being stuck in the friend zone are pretty obnoxious. I also think leaning so hard on meta humor really holds the show back. It’s capable of having solid character based jokes but its attempts to break the fourth wall usually fall flat because it doesn’t have much that’s particularly insightful or clever to say. Hopefully that stuff will get toned down over time.

Also, it probably goes without saying but the shower scene at the beginning featuring a bunch of almost nude minors was… uncomfortable and not appreciated. Thankfully the show itself outright says that this was a ratings stunt and that the rest of the series won’t do that kind of thing so it may not be an issue going forward.

It's probably one of those magic high schools where all the students are always at least 18.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I'm all for unions but that was probably in retrospect a really dumb move on their part as it results in all but the absolutely most popular shows getting canned earlier than they should thus costing jobs rather than helping actors like intended, they'd probably be better off abolishing that rule

It's the equivalent of having an annual raise so it makes sense in that aspect. The problem is that it's a lot easier to can an entire production as opposed to fire an employee/team in a typical company.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://deadline.com/2023/01/dead-end-paranormal-park-animated-series-canceled-at-netflix-1235221324/

poo poo news.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Goddamnit, I was really looking forward to seeing where things would go after Season 2 as well. But at the very least it seems like the series will be finished in comic form if nothing else

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hey, I was too old by the time that Nickelodeon entered it's Schneider sitcom phase but if any of you are interested, It looks like Zoey 101 is getting a sequel movie. I guess that iCarly reboot did pretty well.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Everyone posted:

It's probably one of those magic high schools where all the students are always at least 18.

They're 15.

https://twitter.com/IronAidanD/status/1612873791507468304

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chicken Butt posted:

I do appreciate that they are going all in on triggering cultural conservatives, though, what with the gay moms, and everyone being non-white except Fred, who is a complete rear end in a top hat.

I will be disappointed if Velma’s stepdad, who is described as “alt-right”, doesn’t accuse everyone he dislikes of being a “groomer”.

I don't think that's even working, they're just gonna take it as 'get woke, go broke'. Been said the series sounds like a right winger's attempt at writing jokes they think the 'woke' will like.

TwoPair posted:

Hey, I was too old by the time that Nickelodeon entered it's Schneider sitcom phase but if any of you are interested, It looks like Zoey 101 is getting a sequel movie. I guess that iCarly reboot did pretty well.

And that article is only scratching the surface, given it's pretty much an open secret that Schneider almost certainly got Jamie-Lynn Spears pregnant which got the show cancelled in the first place.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Larryb posted:

Supposedly, I don’t think we’ve heard anything about it since the initial announcement

If they don't update Darkwing Duck by making Drake and Launchpad be gay dads raising their adopted daughter together, then what even is the point of a reboot?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If they’re not trying to appeal to the right, why have Daphne’s parents be pigs?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That really sucks about Paranormal Park, I was enjoying that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

That really sucks about Paranormal Park, I was enjoying that.

Speaking of, have any of the graphic novels collecting the original webcomic come out yet? If so, how is it compared to the show?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, have any of the graphic novels collecting the original webcomic come out yet? If so, how is it compared to the show?

The graphic novels come out sometime this year. I thought it was March but now there’s no delivery date. :(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

The graphic novels come out sometime this year. I thought it was March but now there’s no delivery date. :(

Gotcha, will all three volumes be released at once then?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I AM GRANDO posted:

If they’re not trying to appeal to the right, why have Daphne’s parents be pigs?

Because having a main character that effectively has access to/an in with the police will likely be useful on a mystery show. Plus, if they were trying to appeal to the right, why would they make Daphne's parents be lesbians?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

Gotcha, will all three volumes be released at once then?

Amazon says that volume 1 will be out May 2nd but volume 2 doesn't have a date listed.

They also only have a volume 1 and 2 as reprints, a third one seems to be there but in Polish and French.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Amazon says that volume 1 will be out May 2nd but volume 2 doesn't have a date listed.

They also only have a volume 1 and 2 as reprints, a third one seems to be there but in Polish and French.

Well at least there will be an ending of some kind anyway, even if it’s just in comic form

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

Well at least there will be an ending of some kind anyway, even if it’s just in comic form

I think these are just the reprints of the two novels they had before unfortunately. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think these are just the reprints of the two novels they had before unfortunately. :(

I was referring to this post from the show’s creator:

https://twitter.com/hamishsteele/status/1613886933557727232