Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It has to be the weirdest stunt casting in a video game. I refuse to believe anyone bought mk11 because she was in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

JT Smiley posted:

It has to be the weirdest stunt casting in a video game. I refuse to believe anyone bought mk11 because she was in it.

I dunno. The ign reporter in mass effect 3 exists

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

JT Smiley posted:

I don't blame Netherrealm Studios because it was almost certainly something they were forced to do but this was already a couple years after Rousey mania wore off so it was a transparently bad idea even at the time.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I dunno. The ign reporter in mass effect 3 exists

That was bad, but at least she was a minor background character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JT Smiley posted:

You could argue Hulk Hogan in Saints Row The Third is close, although Rousey arguably had more relevance at the time. Hogan I think was genuinely "the devs want to take pictures with him" type casting.

They're both really bad at it, though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

maybe don't cast voice actors who are amplifying Sandy Hook conspiracy videos, Boon bby what r u doin

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mycot posted:

I don't blame Netherrealm Studios because it was almost certainly something they were forced to do but this was already a couple years after Rousey mania wore off so it was a transparently bad idea even at the time.
The solution was to add her in as a DLC toggle. Why make us suffer like that!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Dawgstar posted:

You could argue Hulk Hogan in Saints Row The Third is close, although Rousey arguably had more relevance at the time. Hogan I think was genuinely "the devs want to take pictures with him" type casting.

Huh. I was replaying SR3 just a couple of weeks ago (it's aging like sour milk tbh) and did not recognise Hogan at all. He at least performed better than Sasha Grey as the identical twins.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Dawgstar posted:

Ah, yes, the Kojima Method

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

maybe don't cast voice actors who are amplifying Sandy Hook conspiracy videos, Boon bby what r u doin

JT Smiley posted:

I got bad news for y'all re: Ronda in video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zUnUIUoas

:negative:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Black Widow's introduction was basically "hot gymnast spy who surprisingly speaks Russian". We learn nothing about her personality or backstory.

America Chavez spends most of the movie on the run, and while we do get the backstory of her parents as a foil to Wanda's grief, she doesn't get many memorable character moments. She's as much of a living McGuffin/damsel in distress as Riri in Wakanda Forever.

Winter Soldier, being a great movie, does efficiently get to the heart of Falcon and why he so quickly becomes friends with Cap, so it definitely does a better job of endearing the audience to the character. That said, it tells us as much about Sam as Wakanda Forever tells us about Riri; what they do for a living, what their heroic talent/skill is, what their personality is like. The main difference, beyond execution, is that Sam was introduced to be another support character for the protagonist with no immediate plans for spin-off media, whereas Riri had her own Disney+ show announced before she'd appeared onscreen, which changes expectations for the introduction.

Edit: ↓Good catch! Corrected.

Why should future iterations of a massive franchise impact whether I like a character in the movie I'm actually seeing? Movies should stand on their own.

You also listed several things about America Chavez that make her more appealing than Riri, than say they are equally as inert.

theironjef posted:

I feel like while Riri probably had some story cut to fit in the hour long funeral, we got enough. She's at MIT on scholarships, she's making enough side money through selling papers and patents that she's got her own offsite garage full of tech, she has a strong connection to her father who was an auto mechanic, which instilled in her a drive to build and engineer, and she's smart enough that she built the vibranium detector as just a toss-off school assignment. I think the big thing missing was probably her idolizing Tony Stark, which if it had been included, would invariably have led to people complaining that we got enough of that in the Spider-Man movies.

Like a lot of other people have said the real missing link in the movie was bothering to keep the CIA bit in. I'm sure it's gonna be super important for Thunderbolts or whatever, but it definitely didn't go anywhere.

She's smart I get it. But why is that intriguing tho? There are plenty of smart characters in the MCU, the best ones tag that with something giving that nuance, like Tomy and his hubris.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Parkingtigers posted:

Huh. I was replaying SR3 just a couple of weeks ago (it's aging like sour milk tbh) and did not recognise Hogan at all. He at least performed better than Sasha Grey as the identical twins.

And she was at least better than Tera Patrick in the SR2 DLC. (According to the devs the adult actresses were a THQ mandate.)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It’s insane to me how there was a period of time where Ronda Rousey could’ve become the next Rock with the sex appeal of like, I dunno, Megan Fox or something. There was a brief period of time when Ronda was covered by the media for both her pure athletic talent and she was covered endlessly for her nontraditional sex appeal, and she very easily could’ve transitioned that into a very successful movie career, but she was just so loving legendarily bad at acting that she basically single-handedly torpedoed any opportunities she had. Like, it takes a lot to gently caress up an acting career as a woman solely due to (lack of) talent when you’re as famous and relevant as Ronda was at her height combined with having the sex symbol status she did at the time, but by god she did it. And it was completely earned; she has like one line in Fast 7 and it’s so loving legendarily bad she almost poisons the movie with how wooden and poorly delivered her line read was.

Like it’s just crazy how she never just took a six month to year hiatus and hired an acting coach to train round the clock at acting, she had the world as her oyster. Like, she didn’t even have to be good at acting, she just had to not be the worst ever and she probably would’ve become one of the biggest action stars of all time and certainly the biggest one who was a woman. She was all set to be the main character in a Roadhouse reboot which got cancelled because she was just that loving terrible at acting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You still see people saying that Rousy should have been Captain Marvel. It's not super common but every time someone posts about The Marvels there's at least one comment about her.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
She got clocked so hard it gave her almost brain damage and there went the unstoppable woman's MMA juggernaut aura.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

She got clocked so hard it gave her almost brain damage and there went the unstoppable woman's MMA juggernaut aura.

Yeah. Her coach really should have taught her to duck. That's not me being flip, he was a really crappy coach in some ways.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like it’s just crazy. If I was Ronda, and I was being afforded the opportunities that Ronda was, and the runway was being cleared for me specifically to have this massive action movie career which she clearly was being set up to be I would’ve immediately dropped the belt to…Holm was the one who took it off her right? Just held onto the belt for as long as possible while firing my trainer and hiring an acting coach, committing full-time to acting, dropping the belt whenever Dana White finally pressured me to do it and in the meantime parading it around just to keep my name in the public consciousness, kept doing late night to build my brand, then pivot entirely to trying to make a decent go of being an actor. Look at Gal Gadot; she is not a good actor, she just is traditionally beautiful and is at least somewhat decent in action roles, and she has the same sort of physical oriented past with problematic worldviews and beliefs that Ronda does. Ronda very easily could’ve been the next GG if she just committed full-time to becoming an at least mediocre actor, a Gal Gadot-level actor (which any sufficiently expensive and talented coach could get you over that bar) and be set up for life, and not having to rely on getting punched in the face to collect a paycheck. It’s just bizarre, such wasted potential and opportunity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her coach convinced her she was a top level boxer. She thought she was going to win standing up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NieR Occomata posted:

Like it’s just crazy. If I was Ronda, and I was being afforded the opportunities that Ronda was, and the runway was being cleared for me specifically to have this massive action movie career which she clearly was being set up to be I would’ve immediately dropped the belt to…Holm was the one who took it off her right? Just held onto the belt for as long as possible while firing my trainer and hiring an acting coach, committing full-time to acting, dropping the belt whenever Dana White finally pressured me to do it and in the meantime parading it around just to keep my name in the public consciousness, kept doing late night to build my brand, then pivot entirely to trying to make a decent go of being an actor. Look at Gal Gadot; she is not a good actor, she just is traditionally beautiful and is at least somewhat decent in action roles, and she has the same sort of physical oriented past with problematic worldviews and beliefs that Ronda does. Ronda very easily could’ve been the next GG if she just committed full-time to becoming an at least mediocre actor, a Gal Gadot-level actor (which any sufficiently expensive and talented coach could get you over that bar) and be set up for life, and not having to rely on getting punched in the face to collect a paycheck. It’s just bizarre, such wasted potential and opportunity.

I think Ronda's less mainstream opinions--such as her insistence that Sandy Hook was a false flag operation--would have eventually gotten her Gina Carano'd out of her acting career.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oof, tell me that was after the brain damage

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Oof, tell me that was after the brain damage

It was 2013, a few years before Holm wound her clock.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

mycot posted:

She was on the upswing again with the WWE, and took some wrestlers to the MK premiere party or whatever it was. That was the only good thing to come out of her being in that game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the first real look we've had at Adam Warlock in GotG3

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1615024841001664514?s=20&t=_ob0QHxxHxRYJ-gzXD3vgg

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's homelander

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvd3CUIXPeM

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is the first real look we've had at Adam Warlock in GotG3
He was in the trailer for like 3 seconds and you could see his gem thing. But that was like face only.

Very Thorish costume. Though I'm kind of meh about him being a retread of Mantis that's a retread of Draxx being socially awkward.

Pete will teach him how to poop

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was going to say something snarky about Adam being another character reliant on fish-out-of-water humour but I suppose that is actually the point. Characters thrown together from all kinds of different cultures and different species' trying to mesh with one another. The characters should be weird. They're all fish-out-of-water in some way, particularly when they interact with Quill since he more or less represents our way of doing things.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

They Kumailed him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just wonder if they are going to have the whole Magus thing in this movie or if that will just be teased

Because it seems like the main plot involves the High Evolutionary

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Why should future iterations of a massive franchise impact whether I like a character in the movie I'm actually seeing? Movies should stand on their own.

I didn't say it "should" impact how a character is viewed, simply that it does. Your right, if your judging a movie solely on it's own merit and not it's place in a broader franchise, it doesn't matter as much. But if that's the case, what does it matter that a side character isn't as narratively appealing as the main protagonist and antagonist? Even good stand-alone movies have characters that are mainly there for plot reasons, and who don't get as much focus and fleshing out as a result.

Shageletic posted:

You also listed several things about America Chavez that make her more appealing than Riri, than say they are equally as inert.

I did not say they were equally inert, only that they received similar amount of background, screen time, agency, and plot relevance. Your obviously allowed to find America Chavez more interesting because of her tragic backstory, but I was disappointed how little it mattered to the main plot, how it receives no follow up, and how little of her comics personality we got to see in the movie. That said, the movie is more about Strange and Wanda, so America's introduction being less than perfect doesn't really harm it. I feel similarly about Riri in Wakanda Forever.

Shageletic posted:

She's smart I get it. But why is that intriguing tho? There are plenty of smart characters in the MCU, the best ones tag that with something giving that nuance, like Tomy and his hubris.

I'd say the fact that she wasn't born into wealth, like Tony and Shuri, yet is still a successful inventor is something we haven't seen as much in the MCU. The closest parallel we have to that is Spider-Man, but he focuses far less on inventions and, as MCU critics often point out, usually has access to Tony's resources when he does. Wakanda Forever doesn't focus on this, because it's not very relevant to the main plot, but I could see that being a hook for her series.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

He was in the trailer for like 3 seconds and you could see his gem thing. But that was like face only.

Very Thorish costume. Though I'm kind of meh about him being a retread of Mantis that's a retread of Draxx being socially awkward.

Pete will teach him how to poop

If there’s two things James Gunn clearly loves it’s socially awkward weirdos and grotesquely parasitic aliens.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s his way of working through his past Troma.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s his way of working through his past Troma.

Ok, I laughed

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just wonder if they are going to have the whole Magus thing in this movie or if that will just be teased

The Adam Warlock costume and plot in GotG 3 is basically exactly copied from the (surprisingly very good) recent Guardians of the Galaxy game.

The game costume is basically a translation of his comics costume and the movie costume is almost exactly the game costume (but, without giant shoulder pads).

Almost definitely a coincidence, because I doubt they were seeding GotG plot details to Ubisoft 4 years ago, but kind of interesting that it basically lines up 1:1 with the movie.

Except that he doesn't have the soul stone.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 17, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I enjoyed the GotG game a lot. I believe it won Best Story/Narrative at the Game Awards a couple of years ago and I thought it deserved it.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

70s Warlock's whole thing working with the High Evolutionary to save Counter-Earth was before Magus ever entered the picture.

The Magus saga just wouldn't be the same without the presence of Thanos too. They could pull in another from the Multiverse but literally everyone in the MCU has too much baggage around Thanos for it to work imo. They have already introduced the concept of multiple branching possible futures though which gives Warlocks cosmic suicide a pretty easy set up.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's also a picture of William Jackson Harper as "Quaz," and definitely not Reed Richards no sir.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

EmptyVessel posted:

70s Warlock's whole thing working with the High Evolutionary to save Counter-Earth was before Magus ever entered the picture.

The Magus saga just wouldn't be the same without the presence of Thanos too. They could pull in another from the Multiverse but literally everyone in the MCU has too much baggage around Thanos for it to work imo. They have already introduced the concept of multiple branching possible futures though which gives Warlocks cosmic suicide a pretty easy set up.

They work the Magus storyline into the recent GotG game adaption without Thanos, so it can be done.

live with fruit posted:

There's also a picture of William Jackson Harper as "Quaz," and definitely not Reed Richards no sir.

Obviously, very possible for all of it to be fake, but in the clips they have shown at closed events, Quaz has telekinetic powers, has lived in the Quantum Realm city for a long time/possibly forever, and is part of some local political movements there.

Possible that it is all a fakeout, but seems unlikely to be Reed Richards based on that. Also seems unlikely that they would shoot and screen fake footage to fake out a small amount of people attending the comic-con event.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
What if Bill Murray is playing Reed Richards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Heard someone suggest Dev Patel for Reed today and the more I think about it the more I like it. Just don't think Disney would do it, and it sounds like Airbender soured him on big studio tentpole stuff.