Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Brawnfire posted:

Nothing in yo cranium
You put the "durr" in duranium

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Star Trek: You put the "durr" in duranium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Star Trek: You put the "durr" in duranium

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

more actual scientastic sounding names like tritanium and transparent aluminum rather than like durasteel and plastisteel and whatever cartoony poo poo

Conversely, tritanium sounds like made up "I don't know how metals are named" name and plastisteel sounds like something that I can go buy today

Probably because there's a company called Plasteel. They make underground storage tanks, which are steel coated with a fiberglass/plastic composite.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
How big is the Nebula class? Since it's a kitbash of Galaxy parts, I imagine it's about the same volume, but sometimes I see them smaller. The 90s shows often made mistakes with scale when depicting fleets of ships.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Revved my Star Trek marathon back up and checked out "Lessons" and "The Chase" from TNG and "Battle Lines". "Lessons" was pretty good and it's been a revelation to see how often the show calls back to the events of previous episodes with the episode calling back to "The Inner Light". With it being so planet-of-the-week in nature, going into TNG, I wasn't expecting much continuity, even with characters and their history, but I'm glad that's not the case.

"The Chase" explaining why so many alien species are humanoid– I wasn't expecting that either. In fact, I came up with my own theory that the reason why so many species in the galaxy have that same two leg, two arm look is because of recurring aspects of evolution based on the inherent physics of life-supporting planets.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kurzon posted:

How big is the Nebula class? Since it's a kitbash of Galaxy parts, I imagine it's about the same volume, but sometimes I see them smaller. The 90s shows often made mistakes with scale when depicting fleets of ships.

I think the original intent was for it to be smaller, and I feel like the shot of the Sutherland in drydock makes the saucer seem smaller than a Galaxy's, but like you said the fact that it's basically just a kitbash does suggest the volume is roughly similar.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Yeah. With Star Trek ships, you can extrapolate how many decks they have by counting the rows of windows. The Nebula saucer has the same arrangement of windows as the Galaxy's, so it's logical that they would be of the same size.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think the original intent was for it to be smaller, and I feel like the shot of the Sutherland in drydock makes the saucer seem smaller than a Galaxy's, but like you said the fact that it's basically just a kitbash does suggest the volume is roughly similar.

Yeah, the Nebula is just the Galaxy without the neck connecting the saucer and stardrive. So yeah, you lose like 10 decks, but the smallest 10 decks aside from like Deck 1 in terms of square footage.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

DoubleCakes posted:

"The Chase" explaining why so many alien species are humanoid– I wasn't expecting that either. In fact, I came up with my own theory that the reason why so many species in the galaxy have that same two leg, two arm look is because of recurring aspects of evolution based on the inherent physics of life-supporting planets.
Parallel evolution. I've heard some biologists say there could well be humanoid aliens out there because life on other planets would probably gravitate towards the same solutions that life on Earth did. But the similarities between humans and most aliens is just too strong. They aren't just physically and psychologically like humans, they're often culturally human too.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the Nebula is just the Galaxy without the neck connecting the saucer and stardrive. So yeah, you lose like 10 decks, but the smallest 10 decks aside from like Deck 1 in terms of square footage.

Don't forget the rear section of the Nebula, with that triangle jutting over the saucer. There's quite a bit of volume to that part. I wouldn't be shocked if the Nebula class actually has more volume than the Galaxy. Like how the Miranda class is actually slightly bigger than the Constitution.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 13, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

Revved my Star Trek marathon back up and checked out "Lessons" and "The Chase" from TNG and "Battle Lines". "Lessons" was pretty good and it's been a revelation to see how often the show calls back to the events of previous episodes with the episode calling back to "The Inner Light". With it being so planet-of-the-week in nature, going into TNG, I wasn't expecting much continuity, even with characters and their history, but I'm glad that's not the case.

I was thinking something similar recently when watching early TNG. It really is a different style of television than practiced today. The episode that introduced the Borg - Q Who? - was complete in and of itself, leaving nothing unresolved. Yet it also spent a lot of time setting up background - not just for the Borg, but for characters - that would pay off dramatically *over a season later* in Best of Both Worlds. More modern television would typically do a Borg arc or a Borg season, i.e. the Xindi arc in ENT.

Also symbolic of the different style of television is that the introduction of an ominous new nemesis was a random episode mid-season, and the season finale was a turgid medical drama about Riker contracting space death.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I always thought it was due to a writers strike or something but Wikipedia says "Shades of Gray" was a clip show to save money because they overspent on "Elementary, Dear Data" and "Q Who" and Paramount was holding them to the budget for the season.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nullsmack posted:

I always thought it was due to a writers strike or something but Wikipedia says "Shades of Gray" was a clip show to save money because they overspent on "Elementary, Dear Data" and "Q Who" and Paramount was holding them to the budget for the season.

It was the style of the time, like tying an onion to a belt in the ....

The networks wanted a number of bottle episodes and clipshows per season to drive down the overall costs of making the 24 episodes for a season. Bottle episodes where cheap to shoot but took time, clipshows were quick to shoot and cheap. So ~4 bottle episodes and 2 clipshows made the season only 18 "real episodes" cost-wise.

With Star Trek, they were also needed because the SFX work took more than a week to do, so without such episodes they would not have been able to crank out episode per week, even with the holiday season and Summer discounted from the workload.

"Measure of a Man" is a bottle episode that became one of the better TNG episodes because of writing.

"The Fly" in Breaking Bad is a bottle episode that is lambasted because it is so apparent corner cutting measurement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nullsmack posted:

I legitimately don't understand how this became the prevailing theory about Shades of Gray. The WGA strike ended in August 1988; Shades of Gray was written in the spring of 1989 and aired in July '89.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Timby posted:

I legitimately don't understand how this became the prevailing theory about Shades of Gray. The WGA strike ended in August 1988; Shades of Gray was written in the spring of 1989 and aired in July '89.

the strike's the reason the season's 4 episodes short, so I can see people conflating that with the budget crunch

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

"The Fly" in Breaking Bad is a bottle episode that is lambasted because it is so apparent corner cutting measurement.

..."Fly" was near-universally loved unless this is a result of retrospective opinion pieces.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

..."Fly" was near-universally loved unless this is a result of retrospective opinion pieces.

But still it is a masterclass of a bottle episode, and on a bingewatch the episode everyone tells you to skip. Like that one episode on Stranger Things, and no-one who watched that need a reminder of what that was.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Der Kyhe posted:

But still it is a masterclass of a bottle episode, and on a bingewatch the episode everyone tells you to skip. Like that one episode on Stranger Things, and no-one who watched that need a reminder of what that was.

Uh no dude, sorry your friends have bad taste, but its not an episode everybody tells you to skip.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Could somebody enlighten me under a spoiler tag, please and thank you?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
We watched a little piece of forgotten schlock called Arena (1989) tonight, featuring a cold calculating villain with slicked-back hair played by Marc Alaimo and his right-hand man in full facial prosthetics and giant ears played by… Armin Shimmerman.

https://youtu.be/WSJJPCiA6s0

Kinda funny seeing them both in a pre-DS9 movie playing broadly similar characters.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We watched a little piece of forgotten schlock called Arena (1989) tonight, featuring a cold calculating villain with slicked-back hair played by Marc Alaimo and his right-hand man in full facial prosthetics and giant ears played by… Armin Shimmerman.

https://youtu.be/WSJJPCiA6s0

Kinda funny seeing them both in a pre-DS9 movie playing broadly similar characters.

Along with a pre-Babylon5 Claudia Christian.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Looks like I've got my next movie night pick, assuming it's as funny-bad as it looks from that trailer and not just bad-bad

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Who the hell tells anyone to skip Fly in a Breaking Bad run

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Feldegast42 posted:

Who the hell tells anyone to skip Fly in a Breaking Bad run

The same sort who'd tell someone to skip Take Me Out To The Holosuite.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fly is the resolution of Walt/Jesse/Jane! You can't loving skip that! It'd be like skipping Granite State because it's "boring watching a sad guy in a cabin" or something.

Take Me Out to the Holosuite was just delightful, and I could see people skipping it on rewatches, maybe, but for a first-time viewer, it's essential too. The comradery (particularly the ending) is a lovely reprieve from the war and it's super nice seeing Ezri with the entire crew, just accepted.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Take Me Out to the Holosuite was just delightful, and I could see people skipping it on rewatches, maybe, but for a first-time viewer, it's essential too. The comradery (particularly the ending) is a lovely reprieve from the war and it's super nice seeing Ezri with the entire crew, just accepted.

I have to admit to skipping it on most rewatches these days. I agree that it is essential to see at least once though. In addition to what you've said, it is also a great case study on vulcans.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah, come on! Both of those episodes don't directly contribute to the plot, but there is a lot of important character work in both and the latter is a fun breather.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Take Me Out to the Holosuite is absolutely an essential season 7 episode, if only for a much-needed break from WARWARWAR.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
FIND HIM AND KILL HIM!!!!!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is Strange New Worlds any good? I have the TOS remastered series on Blu Ray, and a few of the films on Blu, but I don’t have any access to anything else.

I was thinking about getting Paramount Plus to watch TNG/DS9, and maybe SNW too.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's exceptional. Also, so are Prodigy and Lower Decks!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MrMojok posted:

Is Strange New Worlds any good? I have the TOS remastered series on Blu Ray, and a few of the films on Blu, but I don’t have any access to anything else.

I was thinking about getting Paramount Plus to watch TNG/DS9, and maybe SNW too.

Most people here have varying degrees of positive opinions on it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

I think SNW's reputation gets a bit overblown because everyone was so desperate for live-action Trek that wasn't utterly dire, but there are some excellent episodes and I don't think any episode drops below "mediocre." There's clearly a lot of love in the writing, and the charisma of the cast makes up for some script weaknesses.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Timby posted:

I think SNW's reputation gets a bit overblown because everyone was so desperate for live-action Trek that wasn't utterly dire, but there are some excellent episodes and I don't think any episode drops below "mediocre." There's clearly a lot of love in the writing, and the charisma of the cast makes up for some script weaknesses.

I would rate it lower, but it's not an awful watch like Discovery/Picard, and the cast really does carry it hard. It's an amazing cast, and I just wish they had the writers room to back them up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I go back and forth with whether Lower Decks or Strange New Worlds is better.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Apples and oranges for me. They’re equally good in my mind, for different reasons.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hollismason posted:

I go back and forth with whether Lower Decks or Strange New Worlds is better.

I feel like they're both good in their own ways. Lower Decks is, also, clearly written with a lot of love for the lore and source material, and you see that in all the deep cuts into continuity. But occasionally the humor gets to be a little too much (though this is a problem more with the first season than the subsequent two).

Strange New Worlds is pretty well-timed when it comes to humor (Time Amok is an excellent example of this), but some of those scripts ... oof, they needed to have a little more time in the oven. But the cast is incredible, and adding Carol Kane for season 2 is a brilliant move, because she's been great in just about everything in her career.

Edit: It's also worth noting I did a ridiculously quick turnaround on Prodigy after a relatively boring pilot. That entire first season wound up being incredibly good.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lower decks is fun, animation allows for diverse settings characters and peanut humper is such a fun joke.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MrMojok posted:

People seem to like it. I felt it was a shameless nostalgia grab that went out of its way to emphasize that it had no interest in doing anything original or new, but I seem to be in a distinct minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've never seen TOS and I don't feel like I was missing anything in SNW not getting whatever references or nostalgia you're talking about.

Lower Decks, on the other hand, I often need to Google something to get a joke even when it's referencing things I've seen twenty times over.