Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gripweed posted:

I thought the Skrull Kill Krew all died?

Yeah, they did. She ate a different one who was a duck. I don't think she ever showed up anywhere after Zdarsky finished that series. She was fun. Can't remember the name though. Terra, maybe? I know I could look it up, but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

And if they make Viv a supporting character that'd be nice. Is this the first time Darcy's been in 616?

holy poo poo, I thought that was Zelma the whole time.

Scarlet Witch was strong, so was FF and Secret Invasion. I really dug Gold Goblin this week and even the Joe Fixit book was fun.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Reading Fantastic Four #20 and this cracked me up:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Dawgstar posted:

And if they make Viv a supporting character that'd be nice. Is this the first time Darcy's been in 616?

Yep. That was Darcy's comic debut. I doubt we'll see her teamed with the incredibly different comic version of Jimmy Woo.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Just finished Rowell's run on Runaways, and really enjoyed it, though the end is very odd. I assume a result of early cancellation. I was curious if any of the lingering story threads had been picked up anywhere sense, or at least if any other comics have followed up on any of the characters. I know Victor appeared briefly with Doombot in the current She-Hulk ongoing. Alex presumably becoming the new Doc Justice seems like the biggest lingering plot, followed by the space politics surrounding Karolina. Everything else gets as close to a definitive ending as you can in a serialized universe.

I just want the kids to be ok. (And maybe for Molly to visit Krakoa and hang out with Gabby.)

Edit: Regarding current comics, I loved this issue of Daredevil. Matt using his army of criminals turned ninjas to fight landlords/cops is great, and Stiltman's heroic moment was unexpectedly great.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 12, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's Jeff sees the return of the best artist on the best character and i require more

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, Kate is pretty awesome.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
harsh

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Unironically thought you meant Jeff

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dark Web is the Gremlins 2 of Marvel Events

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Dark Web is the Gremlins 2 of Marvel Events

That is not in any way a negative review.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Beerdeer posted:

Gremlins 2 is better than the first one. Fight me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Ms. Marvel two-parter was fine. Felt like sort of a like a greatest hits thing to remind people about Kamala, but that just might be me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

Joe Fisto posted:

:hai:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Given the content of the latest issue and the fact that it's not in the March 2023 solicits, I'm guessing Savage Avengers might be ending again. Alas, I am always a sucker for a trip to 2099 and enjoyed the last arc if it is indeed the final one. Considering picking up the Omnibus later this year due to the weird legal situation of this comic.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

Tato posted:

Given the content of the latest issue and the fact that it's not in the March 2023 solicits, I'm guessing Savage Avengers might be ending again. Alas, I am always a sucker for a trip to 2099 and enjoyed the last arc if it is indeed the final one. Considering picking up the Omnibus later this year due to the weird legal situation of this comic.

It's been such a fun ride. I really like Pepose's narration, I think it makes it gives it a very golden-agey tone. I think it'd be a stretch for him to write the main Avengers title, but the timeline does seem to match up a bit if Savage ends in February.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

We need a gremlins 2 gang tag

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The best presidents movie ever

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Soonmot posted:

We need a gremlins 2 gang tag

but what to choose from? I would recommend either "FIRE, THE UNTAMED ELEMENT!" or "the horror...the horror...THE BREAKAGE"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

but what to choose from? I would recommend either "FIRE, THE UNTAMED ELEMENT!" or "the horror...the horror...THE BREAKAGE"

"Fun yes, but hardly civilized!"

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
"ACID: DO NOT THROW IN FACE"
https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/1383190115560873988?t=_0gGIFJRJbHdVV1RDzBmjA&s=19

(Twitterposting because I'm on my phone)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Something from the end of the world announcement that is then ripped by a gremlin claw

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Hey all im just getting into Marvel and started with the original Spiderman and Fantastic Four runs. My question is simple: any other series from around this time worth checking out also? It's kinda amazing how great Spidey and F4 are so want to make sure I'm not missing anything else

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

worms butthole guy posted:

Hey all im just getting into Marvel and started with the original Spiderman and Fantastic Four runs. My question is simple: any other series from around this time worth checking out also? It's kinda amazing how great Spidey and F4 are so want to make sure I'm not missing anything else

I'll be honest. Pretty much everything marvel put out in the 60s was interesting to good. Very little of it was outright bad.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's good lol

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The original X-Men run is fascinating but I'm not sure I can recommend it unless you're an X-Men diehard. You'll get an issue that is absolutely incredible followed by an issue that makes you wonder how the medium managed to survive this long, and back and forth it goes. Eventually it starts to even out and then gets cancelled.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah X-Men is not very good unless you love them. It introduces a ton of characters but I think outside of Cyclops they all have very little growth. It's not until Giant Size that it gets great.

I also haven't read Daredevil from around that time but I don't think that's really very highly regarded either.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thor gets really good in the late 60’s when Kirby gets to go real weird with it

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the early Giant-Man stuff rules because most of the conflict is Hank Pym being like "forgot -- how bad -- I suck!!" and knocking himself out on a low ceiling.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Karma Tornado posted:

the early Giant-Man stuff rules because most of the conflict is Hank Pym being like "forgot -- how bad -- I suck!!" and knocking himself out on a low ceiling.

I’m about the biggest Hank Pym fan in the world and even I’ll admit some of those Astonish stories are rough.

You can 110% skip the Human Torch Strange Tales run. It is without argument the worst of their 60s output. Horrible stories, constantly rotating writers, lame villains…. Even when the Thing becomes a co-star it’s still the bottom rung. The Dr Strange stuff is almost always a hit, tho, and it channels the Ditko style even more than Spider-Man.

Early-Early Daredevil is mediocre, but it gets a lot better around the second year

Journey into Mystery is real bad until Kirby comes back around issue 100 and then it just takes off into the stratosphere.

Sgt Fury is off the beaten path of superheroes, but it’s a drat good back and gets better the further it goes.

Hulk is worth the read for the 6 issues it lasted just for the sheer insanity. It changes directions nearly every issue and by the time it’s cancelled the character is a mess. The Astonish run is decent and leads into a long run of great Hulk stories.

Suspense is decent, the early Cap stuff isn’t great but it takes off quickly. Iron Man is consistently decent to good.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hell yeah old school Marvel

Party Boat posted:

I've been reading more 60s Marvel stuff (mostly for early Hulk appearances) and I love how the inner cover is basically a carnival barker trying to seal the deal and get you to buy the drat thing.

I think the first one is also the introduction of the Green Goblin? He works with a film director to get Spider-Man cast in a film and then tries to kill him on set. Not in any clever way by rigging a stunt to go wrong, he just has some guys attack him. Then the Hulk turns up.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wasn't there an issue of Kirby Thor where he like sneezes away a supernova or something? And they just expect us to believe that this guy belongs on a team with a guy who can throw a large disc real good and a guy who likes to make increasingly fancy tin cans.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
He'll ya thanks everyone. Will definitely check out Dr Strange

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Steranko on Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D was great, it's in Strange Tales the same time as the Lee/Ditko Dr. Strange. I can't speak to the quality of the Lee/Kirby stuff before it, but according to Wikipedia it includes the first appearances of Hydra and AIM and it's Lee/Kirby, so there's gotta be some interesting stuff in there.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

worms butthole guy posted:

check out the book all the marvels by douglas wolk, it's a great guide to and history of marvel

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
To piggyback on the earlier question - and I'm going to guess this has been asked more than once - I recently signed up for Marvel Unlimited and haven't read comics in like 20+ years. I started reading Brubaker Captain America and it's pretty decent so far. I think I read the Hawkeye and Daredevil reboots some years ago and those were pretty decent. I read Xmen Vs. Avengers and it was not good. Please recommend some stellar series over the last 25 years, including the big stuff like new Secret Wars or whatever.

Speaking of crossovers/tie-ins, is there a way to categorize those in order in the Unlimited app? Like, give me all of Secret Wars in chronological order, including the main run and all the crossovers, that kind of thing. I didn't see a way to do this at first glance.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 18, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Unlimited has reading lists for events, but iirc it's not really set up to take you directly from say ASM #367 to Web of Spider-Man #76 to New Mutants #46 if there was a storyline that ran through all those books.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

howe_sam posted:

Unlimited has reading lists for events, but iirc it's not really set up to take you directly from say ASM #367 to Web of Spider-Man #76 to New Mutants #46 if there was a storyline that ran through all those books.

Ok cool - it looks like this is a good web resource for events as well: https://comicbookreadingorders.com/

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MU has a lot of stuff covered as "Events". It can vary with how comprehensive it is but I've read through a bunch of events/crossovers that way where it takes you from one issue to the next across several titles.

The navigation for the app is different now. I think the best way to get that kind of thing is to do a search and then under Reading Guides there should be one result categorized as an Event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
MAN EWING DON'T FUCKIN MISS