Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Lol shoulda seen this coming when the dude was texting with Elon Musk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Bail reportedly set at 1,000 shmeckels

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It is adorable that y'all think people go to prison on a first time felony domestic battery. Like, this isn't even a rich people thing. He'll get probation and a "don't beat your wife" class.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Brocktoon posted:

Obviously the solution is what other networks have done in the past to lovely creator/stars: replace them with Billy West.

Good news everyone, I've turned myself into a pickled cucumber.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
surelly in a cartoon where the cartoon science man has the gimmick of portal universe hopping, there's another Rick with not bad voice to replace Rick with bad voice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"you sound different, rick"

"I 'sound different'? Maybe you sound different to me, morty, gently caress you"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phenotype posted:

gently caress between this and the harry potter game it's a really hard time to be a nerd who doesn't like financially supporting assholes

https://twitter.com/pinkrangerlb/status/1611083733146415105

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't think there's any chance of Roiland going to jail or Adult Swim canceling Rick and Morty, but I still hope if he did what he's accused of, he gets fired and replaced. It's not like he's doing some insanely unique voice, just hire a professional to do it.

I mean sadly, yeah "this person thinking that transgender people don't exist isn't a dealbreaker for me to give them money" is true of a lot of Harry Potter fans. There's a lot of people who wanna play that lovely looking Hogwarts game without getting so much as a cock-eyed look over it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Justin Roiland is pretty involved with Rick and Morty beyond just doing those voices, I can't imagine they'd keep the show going without him

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The thing with most culture is that the financial soect is based around a creator receiving payment and then producing work. Most of the boycotts for "supporting terrible people" neglect that the terrible person already made their advance or their royalty and thus they're already rich.

The networks ultimately pay for this poo poo. The old "unless you're a Nielsen household" argument applies. The best thing you can do is bitch about it in avenues the networks actually listen to. That means their pages on the usual billionaire-owned social networks. Trolling the Something Awful Forums will accomplish little.

Edit: Apparently Rowling has no idea of how labor markets work in addition to her bad takes on gender politics. If nobody shows up to the Universal theme park with her license, she'll still be rich but a lot of Floridians who don't share her opinions will be out of work.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 13, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Macaluso posted:

Justin Roiland is pretty involved with Rick and Morty beyond just doing those voices, I can't imagine they'd keep the show going without him

i think it depends on what comes out in trial and other poo poo. if he manages to beat the wrap or whatever or stuffs "messy" then he will probably be fine, if he is convicted or reall bad poo poo comes(then whats already there) its hosed.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They probably won't cancel the show or even fire him, look at Ezra miller

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

the terrible person already made their … royalty

That’s not how royalties work at all. Like, there’s no upper limit to how much money they can take in if they control the rights.

It’s true that your individual boycott doesn’t really matter and I’m not going to spend my time telling people to stop watching stuff made by horrible people. But the backlog of games, books, shows, and so on is so big for me that it’s not hard to use “are they a terrible person?” as a useful filter to cut that list down.

I’m sad to hear that Rick and Morty is probably getting caught in that net.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
I feel like there was a serious wave of JR produced content over the past two years, I wonder how much of that was "how much can we cash in on this guy's name before the story inevitably gets out"

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
the charges were just the first shoe to drop, holy poo poo
https://twitter.com/guccibabyydoll/status/1613908793569738753
https://twitter.com/arlocado/status/1613681710201290752
https://twitter.com/opossumopunk/status/1594218664026316801

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"I have trauma from past sexual experiences"
"I have kinks related to what you just said"

Like are you loving kidding me, dude. Ugh.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

well thats the end of that, holy gently caress poo poo.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cojawfee posted:

I put the three in that order so everyone could come on the same journey I went on.

"he DM'd an adult e-girl and tried to make a threesome happen and she declined? ok."
"...that's a really hosed up thing to say, but not a crime."
"he DM'd a minor for years and then tried to have a foursome with her once she was an adult, he is an actual groomer"

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Edit: Apparently Rowling has no idea of how labor markets work in addition to her bad takes on gender politics. If nobody shows up to the Universal theme park with her license, she'll still be rich but a lot of Floridians who don't share her opinions will be out of work.

On top of the royalty correction, this also isn't really right. If nobody showed up at Harry Potter land then Universal pulls down a few signs and goes back to being whatever they called it back when it was just generic Merlin medieval and Rowling eats poo poo and some people get a laugh. Which is about what any audience can manage against a really rich person. But yeah, not going to act like individual action is going to turn back the tide.

It is harder in this case just because of how much his literal and metaphorical voice are part of the shows. Also puts his decision to just coast by the Middleditch accusations for Solar Opposites into a worse light that would make it much harder to go back to.

I'm guessing cynically that the big thing is going to be how much it goes into mainstream news and how much of the new allegations can be substantiated and what manages to catch.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

oooh weee, is this what getting exposed as a pedophile grooming predator feels like

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why can’t rich people just be normal

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

hatty posted:

Why can’t rich people just be normal

Wealth and power rot brains.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Computer, show me images with newly threatening auras.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Macaluso posted:

They’re deep enough into the production order from what I remember reading that if he went to jail *today* it probably wouldn’t be an issue for a couple years. Stuff gets recorded years out; production was already on season 8 last year and 9 is supposed to be in production by mid year.

I think it took something like 18 months for Bob’s Burgers to finally run out of Jimmy Pesto voice roles after the actor got fired for invading the Capitol on January 6.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nichael posted:

Wealth and power rot brains.

and Justin's brain was already super rotten

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ugh this blows. drat you Justin

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Takes No Damage posted:

Computer, show me images with newly threatening auras.

You know, the fact that this was in what was largely considered one of the best episodes of Season 1 always did feel uncomfortable as hell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This puts that scene where Summer's friend wants to gently caress Jerry in a whole new light.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Ugh this blows. drat you Justin

yeah, i genuinly find alot of roilands poo poo funny and i genuinly like hosed up gross comedy and now this dipshit has to go and be a monster and how this means "making hosed up jokes/humor=sex monster rear end in a top hat" storm again. gently caress roiland.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's worth emphasizing how much of a sick gently caress this poo poo is. Like, he could have gone the "normal" rich pervert rear end in a top hat route, and hire young twenties sex workers, which is creepy and coercive enough. But no, he can't get off to that, he needs some hosed up power discrepancy thing where he literally grooms children and tricks them into getting drunk and poo poo. It's so far beyond something semi-relatable like "oops, I got drunk and hit on someone younger than me at a bar or in DMs and they were creeped out and then I stopped". ugh i don't even want to spend time thinking about this thought process

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i genuinly find alot of roilands poo poo funny and i genuinly like hosed up gross comedy and now this dipshit has to go and be a monster and how this means "making hosed up jokes/humor=sex monster rear end in a top hat" storm again. gently caress roiland.

doc and mahati cracked me up so much but it’s truely not funny now. It’s not a transgressive shitpost designed to anger and offend license owners

Now it’s actually creepy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

doc and mahati cracked me up so much but it’s truely not funny now. It’s not a transgressive shitpost designed to anger and offend license owners

Now it’s actually creepy

i more liked railroad times more but yeah.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress you in da stabhole was an all time quote

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress you in da stabhole was an all time quote

oh yeah, i like that one too. idk. I have always had a severely broken sense of humor so lol. thankfully i discovered zack hedel and co long long long before i discoved justin so i feel way less bad in that selfish respect.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Bee posted:

You know, the fact that this was in what was largely considered one of the best episodes of Season 1 always did feel uncomfortable as hell.

Cojawfee posted:

This puts that scene where Summer's friend wants to gently caress Jerry in a whole new light.

CelticPredator posted:

Now it’s actually creepy

Honestly it just makes me feel stupid. The origin of the show was literally an older man in a position of authority coercing a kid to suck him off, and how funny that is. And then the first real episode also had creepy sex stuff with Rick making Morty shove the seed up his rear end. I've been growing more and more concerned with how much the show sexualizes Morty, Summer, and other school kids like Summer's friends, but I figured I was just being too sensitive, too much of an SJW. After all, it's just a joke, right? It's totally normal to write stories about supervillains who threaten to piss all over 16 year old girls, surely.

But no. Turns out, that whole "people will tell you who they are" thing has some truth to it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ah yup here come those Rurouni Kenshin feelings again. gently caress.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Justin made jokes about how hot summer was in the commentary

Just hoped it was just jokes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Justin made jokes about how hot summer was in the commentary

Just hoped it was just jokes

wait what. wtf.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk somewhere in the season one commentaries he was talking about summer too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

yeah, i think it was even on the first season dvd. though sadly, it's not uncommon for creators to creep on the underage characters in commentaries for cartoons