Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

bumpers are for bumpin'

time to start making some of these bad boys with a new logo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Side chat, is Hyundai that bad? Part of me was thinking about a Hybrid Tuscon but this thread is now making me think twice.
Hyundai hosed up the design of a whole generation's worth of Vehicle Engines from 2011 - 2019 due to an oil consumption defect and inadequate maintenance feedback in the vehicle.

Instead of just recalling them all they're basically waiting for the engine to poo poo itself then providing service after a week or two of trying to weasel out of it. Also parts can take a month or more to come in once confirmed.

Thankfully, there is a rather robust and established recall procedure but God drat I'd be pissed if I were one of the early buyers that got hit with this poo poo before a class action forced them to fix it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

borkencode posted:

The Y change is obviously to get it under the $55k limit it was hitting before (curious if it's the base price of the car that determines if you get the credit or not, or the actual price. Is the Y Performance actually then $7500 more comparatively than MSRP would suggest?)

Also interested to see what this does to Tesla's profit margins. They've claimed around 20-25% profit per vehicle for a while now I think. The Y price cuts would basically eat all of that. So are they killing their profits, or have they been even higher on the Y for the last few months? From what I've heard Texas is still making mostly the regular 2170 battery packs, not the supposedly cheaper cast body 4680 models, but could be they're expecting a shift to more profitable manufacturing soon.

I thought the Y was supposed to get the higher SUV limit of $80k, is that not the case?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I thought the Y was supposed to get the higher SUV limit of $80k, is that not the case?

Only the 7 seat models qualified for the $85k not-a-"car" limit. I think it was a weight thing?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Euronymous posted:

I think it’s the right move for Tesla. There’s little reason to get a different EV right now unless you’ve got a beef with Elon imo

We are all consumed by EVs and either know that Tesla built quality is absolutely dumpster fire level and that the service options are abysmal (correct people) and people that own Teslas or want to own Teslas because of the weird Tesla cult and try and wave away the fact that they are crap because they are fast and have a long range and something about the infotainment system that is no longer a standout besides maybe the VW system that is WTF? (wrong people)

I think there is more to the Hertz Tesla deal than has really been publicly said, Uber appears to be pressuring their drivers into renting them, if you order an Uber "Comfort" in my city, there is about a 90% chance it is a rented Tesla Model 3 and the driver is bitching about it. My husband is not into cars at all and after a few rides in them told me that he thought my hating Teslas was some Elon hate but now thinks I was totally right for thinking they are crap.

The reality distortion field around Tesla has now burst, now that they are cheap their status as a luxury good that they never deserved is gone, it's now just a cheap EV with bad quality control and lovely interior and good luck getting it serviced now that they are doing a fire sale on unsold cars, I'm guessing a good chunk of them were cars that were of such poor quality that they couldn't even manage to deliver them to buyers before the fire sale.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I was shocked how poor the ride quality was in a Model 3 that I had as an uber, but there's always the possibility that the owner did something stupid.

In regards to Hyundai / Kia dealers, they vary. If you can find evidence that your local one is good, you'll probably be fine. They are just all franchisees from the bad old days where both OEMs were a heavy duty subprime lending operation that happened to use vehicles as collateral. They've moved beyond that as a brand but a lot of the dealers are still really bad F&I shops.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was shocked how poor the ride quality was in a Model 3 that I had as an uber, but there's always the possibility that the owner did something stupid.

Had the same experience in an uber with one (first time in a M3). The rear seats were really hard and the fake leather was weird and stiff. Did not like.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The IRS has been redefining more cars (that aren't SUVs) as "not SUVs".

Most recently, the Ford Escape and Cadillac Lyriq were defined not SUVs, which makes the Lyriq ineligible for the tax credit.

Oddly, I think the Mach-E, which is slightly smaller than a Model Y, still counts as an SUV and thus the higher MSRP limit.

Edit: Whoops, nope, the Mach-E no longer qualifies as an SUV either. The rules are wild.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 14, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have only gotten a Tesla in an uber ride once... it was a model Y, I think.

It was OK, and I was surprised at how roomy the interior was, but I could kind of see the seams.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

priznat posted:

Was that at hyundai pre genesis spin off? That sounds pretty drat bad.
Nope. This is last year in a major metro area. It's inexcusable.

When I had a similar recall on my BMW, they turned it around in a couple of hours (for a fairly complex job, tbh,) and even washed and vacuumed the car.

Genesis has some great cars, and right as BMW seems to be declining in quality. But as long as the service sucks poo poo, it's going to be a hard sell to a lot of buyers in this segment.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I had a 2003 325iT I bought from a certified lot and took it to the dealership for service and that was still the high water mark for service. Heck I would sometimes just bring it in on Saturdays and they would wash and vacuum it for free.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Three Olives posted:

We are all consumed by EVs and either know that Tesla built quality is absolutely dumpster fire level and that the service options are abysmal (correct people) and people that own Teslas or want to own Teslas because of the weird Tesla cult and try and wave away the fact that they are crap because they are fast and have a long range and something about the infotainment system that is no longer a standout besides maybe the VW system that is WTF?
The price cuts are really making me consider one, I don't like Musk, and think Teslas are boring looking, but I still think they are the best EVs and you can just buy it online and not deal with dealership stock or rear end in a top hat sales people. I won't though, but the MP3 at that price is really tempting me.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Rusty posted:

The price cuts are really making me consider one, I don't like Musk, and think Teslas are boring looking, but I still think they are the best EVs and you can just buy it online and not deal with dealership stock or rear end in a top hat sales people. I won't though, but the MP3 at that price is really tempting me.

Same. I really hate the design, interior, build quality, infotainment, etc. But a car with equivalent range and specs is going to be twice the price at this rate. Do I just give in?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

mightygerm posted:

Same. I really hate the design, interior, build quality, infotainment, etc. But a car with equivalent range and specs is going to be twice the price at this rate. Do I just give in?

"Everything about the cars sucks except it is fast and has a long range... I'm thinking about buying one."

Really? What do you need the range for? Would you still need the range if you installed a high amp L2 charger? Why do you need to go so quick 0-60?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Three Olives posted:

"Everything about the cars sucks except it is fast and has a long range... I'm thinking about buying one."

Really? What do you need the range for? Would you still need the range if you installed a high amp L2 charger? Why do you need to go so quick 0-60?

Why do you need a toaster with an LCD screen?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Why do you need a toaster with an LCD screen?

or an office with one?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
What pushed me over the edge into buying my Model Y last summer was 1) a terrible dealership experience looking at a Mach E, and 2) the supercharger network.

Given the relative price parity between the MYLR and MME last summer, I was really split. Especially considering the nearest Tesla service center is 1+ hour away, the MME was looking pretty attractive. Until I tried to find one. In the three Ford dealers in my area, one ignored me, one lied about having one (when I came up for a test drive, it had apparently become a loaner vehicle), and the last was really, really uninterested in talking to me or selling the car. With Tesla, it was all online, done in a few minutes.

Likewise, one of my requirements was roadtripability. Maybe the EA/J1172 network issues are as overblown as Tesla's panel gaps, but my impression going in was the Supercharger Network was lightyears ahead of everyone else. And after multiple trips up and down the East Coast, I've had precisely one issue with a single supercharger. After I plugged it, an error came up on the car's screen I don't recall the exact message, but it basically pointed to the charger. I moved a few stalls down and started charging immediately with no issue. I've spent around 6,500 miles on the highways, and my MYLR has been perfect.

Maybe it's a "baby's first luxury car" (since before this I've driven decent Toyotas and Hondas), but the interior is fine. It's not super high-end, but I'm not mad at it.

I don't regret the car, but the excitement has definitely faded over the past 12 months.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

What pushed me over the edge into buying my Model Y last summer was 1) a terrible dealership experience looking at a Mach E, and 2) the supercharger network.

Given the relative price parity between the MYLR and MME last summer, I was really split. Especially considering the nearest Tesla service center is 1+ hour away, the MME was looking pretty attractive. Until I tried to find one. In the three Ford dealers in my area, one ignored me, one lied about having one (when I came up for a test drive, it had apparently become a loaner vehicle), and the last was really, really uninterested in talking to me or selling the car. With Tesla, it was all online, done in a few minutes.

Likewise, one of my requirements was roadtripability. Maybe the EA/J1172 network issues are as overblown as Tesla's panel gaps, but my impression going in was the Supercharger Network was lightyears ahead of everyone else. And after multiple trips up and down the East Coast, I've had precisely one issue with a single supercharger. After I plugged it, an error came up on the car's screen I don't recall the exact message, but it basically pointed to the charger. I moved a few stalls down and started charging immediately with no issue. I've spent around 6,500 miles on the highways, and my MYLR has been perfect.

Maybe it's a "baby's first luxury car" (since before this I've driven decent Toyotas and Hondas), but the interior is fine. It's not super high-end, but I'm not mad at it.

I don't regret the car, but the excitement has definitely faded over the past 12 months.

Since we're doing this again, I own a Chevrolet Bolt and a Tesla Model 3. Previously have owned a Tesla Model S and Nissan LEAF. Before that, I drove a Subaru Outback. Before that, a Subaru Legacy Wagon (one trim level below being called an Outback).

The Tesla Model 3 is right in that same comfort zone as the Outbacks for me. The Model S was way over the top showy and glitzy and also the loving door handles kept breaking (but whatever, I know how to use a soldering iron). The LEAF was fun, felt like my first car in high school, kinda dumpy but got the job done. The Bolt is like my college car: no-nonsense economy car but has some supremely annoying aspects that you learn to live with (hello charging network). The Model 3, like the Outbacks, just kind of works and never annoys me. I like it a lot, it's a solid car.

Maybe one day it will be eclipsed by some other brand and people won't think I'm crazy for describing it this way, because right now the company is hella polarizing, and saying "yeah, I like it, it's a solid car" apparently falls onto the "frothing at the mouth fanboy" side of the stupid fence.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

priznat posted:

Had the same experience in an uber with one (first time in a M3). The rear seats were really hard and the fake leather was weird and stiff. Did not like.

I've actually never been in the back of one but the front are pretty good - clearly designed for someone with a much larger frame than me though.

The 'leather' is just awful though, and I was really surprised to see someone earlier in the thread say they preferred it to the really rather nice fabric in the base P2

FilthyImp posted:

Hyundai hosed up the design of a whole generation's worth of Vehicle Engines from 2011 - 2019 due to an oil consumption defect and inadequate maintenance feedback in the vehicle.

Looks nervously at the 2015 Sonata turbo sat in my driveway. They all burn oil sooner or later, there is no oil level warning in the and maintenance intervals are set too infrequently so it isn't much surprise they seize up on people.

Also the original Ioniq and Kona EVs had issues with their reduction box failing early.

dissss fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 13, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cruft posted:

Since we're doing this again, I own a Chevrolet Bolt and a Tesla Model 3. Previously have owned a Tesla Model S and Nissan LEAF. Before that, I drove a Subaru Outback. Before that, a Subaru Legacy Wagon (one trim level below being called an Outback).

The Tesla Model 3 is right in that same comfort zone as the Outbacks for me. The Model S was way over the top showy and glitzy and also the loving door handles kept breaking (but whatever, I know how to use a soldering iron). The LEAF was fun, felt like my first car in high school, kinda dumpy but got the job done. The Bolt is like my college car: no-nonsense economy car but has some supremely annoying aspects that you learn to live with (hello charging network). The Model 3, like the Outbacks, just kind of works and never annoys me. I like it a lot, it's a solid car.

Maybe one day it will be eclipsed by some other brand and people won't think I'm crazy for describing it this way, because right now the company is hella polarizing, and saying "yeah, I like it, it's a solid car" apparently falls onto the "frothing at the mouth fanboy" side of the stupid fence.

You had to repeatedly use a soldering iron to fix the door handles on your $90k car?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

cruft posted:

Look, I think it is a solid car from the perspective of a person that thinks repairing their door handles of their $90k car with a soldering iron is no big deal, but I'm no fanboy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

This "why do performance car enthusiasts like car performance" poo poo is so tedious.

And of course the i3 owner doesn't think anyone should care about range.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

You had to repeatedly use a soldering iron to fix the door handles on your $90k car?

The door handles on the early Model S were notoriously bad, I remember seeing lots of people complaining about them breaking. After several revisions they're apparently better now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bea4FS-zDzc

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

We are all consumed by EVs and either know that Tesla built quality is absolutely dumpster fire level and that the service options are abysmal (correct people) and people that own Teslas or want to own Teslas because of the weird Tesla cult and try and wave away the fact that they are crap because they are fast and have a long range and something about the infotainment system that is no longer a standout besides maybe the VW system that is WTF? (wrong people)

I think there is more to the Hertz Tesla deal than has really been publicly said, Uber appears to be pressuring their drivers into renting them, if you order an Uber "Comfort" in my city, there is about a 90% chance it is a rented Tesla Model 3 and the driver is bitching about it. My husband is not into cars at all and after a few rides in them told me that he thought my hating Teslas was some Elon hate but now thinks I was totally right for thinking they are crap.

The reality distortion field around Tesla has now burst, now that they are cheap their status as a luxury good that they never deserved is gone, it's now just a cheap EV with bad quality control and lovely interior and good luck getting it serviced now that they are doing a fire sale on unsold cars, I'm guessing a good chunk of them were cars that were of such poor quality that they couldn't even manage to deliver them to buyers before the fire sale.

3O you own a Ford that is also crap but without the performance and range.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I think Cruft is saying the model 3 is a solid car, not the broken door handles model S.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

I think Cruft is saying the model 3 is a solid car, not the broken door handles model S.

Correct.

Also, I never owned a BMW in the 1990s, but I knew a few families who did, and my Model S experience seems pretty much equivalent to their experience. Maybe it's wrong, but I've always assumed luxury cars are a tremendous pain in the rear end if your goal is to get from A to B without a bunch of side-trips to the shop.

E: Actually, "an unending stream of minor annoyances" could also describe my ownership experience of most of the non-luxury cars I've owned. What I was trying to say is that the two Subarus and the Model 3 are really the only cars I've ever owned about which I could say "it's a solid car, I like it."

EE: the 1988 Honda Prelude was pretty good too, until the stupid headlight motors broke.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 13, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the thing that is funny about that is subarus are for the most part insanely unreliable in various ways

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the thing that is funny about that is subarus are for the most part insanely unreliable in various ways

Yeah, I mean, there was that time the alternator died and the Outback's battery stopped running the fuel injectors while the car was straddling train tracks during a snowstorm.

I wonder if by the time I bought the Subarus, my standard for "solid car" had been beaten down until this didn't rise to being a big deal.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

At the time, the Tesla guy was based in El Paso, which is 360 miles away from where I live. That's a 10-hour round trip. The first handle, he drove up and replaced on warranty. The next one that failed, I was like, I bet I can fix this myself in 2 hours. So I did.

I do a lot of electronics work on the side: a bunch of that is stuff that's intended to be handled or worn. When I saw how the door handles broke, I was like, there's no way I would have predicted the way they failed. Maybe there's some automotive engineer out there who lived through American cars in the 1980s and would have been like "that wire is gonna break", but that guy had a pension at Ford and a house in the suburbs they didn't want to leave.

So, yeah, Three Olives isn't wrong: my perspective is that poo poo's gonna break, no matter what. In my opinion, expecting otherwise will either lead to constant disappointment, or you coming off as an entitled jackass to people employed in the service sector. Maybe both.

On the other hand, I know how to fix things like electrical failures that require 2 hours of work and getting into a confined space inside the door with a soldering iron, and I'm telling you the Model 3 has been a solid car. Maybe that's worth something.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 13, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I feel like having owned both 1980s bmws and early 1990s audis I am prepared for any type of reliability issue and frankly the issues of cars today are relative lightweights! :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bird with big dick posted:

3O you own a Ford that is also crap but without the performance and range.

also it’s somehow uglier

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

holds a lot of shrimp in the frunk tho

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Three Olives posted:

Why do you need to go so quick 0-60?

Because it's fun

Thats all that needs to be said and just in case I didnt say it before we're done with that discussion in this thread. Next time the EV dragster sixxers get broken out

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Because it's fun
It's also causing a misguided sense that EVs need be some maniac racer machines. It's perfectly fine if the Somecar Electrowagon gets a 6 second 0-60.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

priznat posted:

I feel like having owned both 1980s bmws and early 1990s audis I am prepared for any type of reliability issue and frankly the issues of cars today are relative lightweights! :colbert:

there is so much computer now though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there is so much computer now though

Dammit we just can't win :negative:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

priznat posted:

Dammit we just can't win :negative:

Looking forward to my brushed-dc-motor, rheostat-throttle EV

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The instant response of EVs is fantastic. No lag at roundabouts!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Looking forward to my brushed-dc-motor, rheostat-throttle EV

Wasn't there somebody who actually used a brushed motor in their powertrain?

Wasn't it VW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

cruft posted:

Wasn't there somebody who actually used a brushed motor in their powertrain?

Wasn't it VW?

BMW because of course they would.