Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

silvergoose posted:

There is no way I will ever pronounce it that way

Yeah - I'm pretty sure they would have used the correct pronunciation in the Dixit theme song: https://youtu.be/dS65-ZvUSSM?t=47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

armorer posted:

Source? I mean I sort of believe you but wtf.

Edit: I no longer believe you at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixit_(card_game)

Someone got pretentiously French and got one over on our friend.

But I had to follow that link too to be sure. ;-)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
What a bunch of deesh

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Memnaelar posted:

Someone got pretentiously French and got one over on our friend.

But I had to follow that link too to be sure. ;-)

That's just how the french are.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The French may well pronounce it that way, but it's a Latin word, so say it according to your jurisdiction's approved pronunciation of classical Latin.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

armorer posted:

Source? I mean I sort of believe you but wtf.

Edit: I no longer believe you at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixit_(card_game)

What a dixitful liar.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
We're all gonna look like fools when it turns out it's actually Xhosa.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

We're all gonna look like fools when it turns out it's actually Xhosa.

It just clicked?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Booooo

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I'm slowly catching up on this thread after a couple years' break from board games. I'm still on April 2022, I'm almost there guys!

So after our long hiatus, we (just me and the SO) hit up a couple board game cafes over winter break and binged on board games.

Wingspan -- We had to try it because of the hype because we love engine builders. On our very first game, boyfriend happened to have both 'sac 1 egg, gain 2 of any food' and 'repeat action in this row', so he opened with that play. Meanwhile, I couldn't play my other birds (I know now to discard more birds for more food in my starting hand), none of the dice in the feeder were colors I wanted, and the dice weren't getting cycled because the boyfriend stopped taking dice from the feeder. So here I am, taking 1 food at a time from the feeder, praying to reroll the die to something remotely usable. Meanwhile it's still the first round and he's getting 4 food of his choice every 3 turns. It felt like I was actively getting shut out of the game, not even by my opponents, but by the game mechanics itself. We quickly recognized that we were in a degenerate game state, so we started a new game, which turned out more 'normal'. But by then we had such a poor first impression... and even first impressions aside, the engines themselves felt very bare-bones and minimalist.

-- The cafe had the version with the correct and only box art, so we had to. The game's almost 20 years old at this point, but boy does it feel like it can hold its own today! We're typically very multiplayer-solitaire type players, but we had an absolute blast absolutely loving with each other. And boy, does this game give you ways to gently caress each other over. I'm pretty sure I made the face on the box more than once. I'm heads-over-heels in love with this game. Worker placements have kinda solidified into a particular play pattern since then, and this does feel a bit like a Wild West of proto-worker placement -- but in this case that's a good thing, in that it feels quite different but also familiar.

Great Western Trail -- We'd gotten a few turns in and I think we've finally gotten a basic sense of the game, before the cafe was closing. But my sense is that I don't think it plays great at 2, because there are just too many empty spots. It'd probably be quite a few more rounds before the 'should I give my opponents stuff, or should I lose a ton of resources on hazards' decision becomes meaningful. Maybe? I still don't think we have a good grasp of the game. Wouldn't mind trying again.

Grand Austria Hotel -- Well we just hosed up this game hard. Both of us blew our initial money, which kinda screwed us over later on. We just couldn't do anything later on. In retrospect, both of us picked guests from the market based on color (completing blocks of rooms) as well as card effects, rather than the resource costs of the cards (which would let us put food directly onto cards more efficiently). Still, it feels like there's very few sources of income? I don't know. We clearly sucked at this game. I wouldn't mind trying it again to figure it out; SO is less keen on it.

Santorini -- Okay I can see the appeal, but for some god-unknown reason games like these stress me out to no end. I think I just don't like 'chess-like' abstracts with an exploding tree of lookahead turns? I think it's objectively a great game though -- simple in nature, probably (?) quite a lot of depth. It just stresses me out.

Jaipur -- It's okay I guess. It is what it is, a filler. Might be a bit too bare-bones of a game for me. If I wanted a quick filler game to blast out, I'd still rather play Race for the Galaxy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah you have the right read on those, with the exception of Jaipur. It has some good depth that gets revealed as you play against the same opponent and form an evolving meta with them. It’s a lot more approachable than Race as well.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Those were SU&SD's complaints about Wingspan, that it was so obvious when one person is getting everything they want and you're struggling to both do more than basic actions and to look like you're enjoying yourself.

Jaipur definitely has more depth, like Bottom Liner said. I like when two-player-only games let you form a meta with the person you're playing against. We busted out 7 Wonders Duel the other day again and my fiance beat me twice in a row with a military victory, so I know she'll be going for that from now on until I manage to shut her out. I really should have been able to stop her the second game, but she picked up that +1 to all military coin and then got terribly lucky with two paths that opened up revealing a red 2 and red 3.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

facepalmolive posted:

I'm slowly catching up on this thread after a couple years' break from board games. I'm still on April 2022, I'm almost there guys!

Happy to see you re-finding the hobby. I'll add to the chorus of Jaipur fans, but I will add that some couples I have introduced it to have bounced off hard. It has a bit of a push-your-luck element that is not for everyone, and there is a lot more competition for top quality 2-player only games than there way when it was first published over a decade ago.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GWT probably plays okay at 2, but definitely shines at 3 and 4.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

My favourite thing about Caylus is a review on BGG that goes "No one will remember Caylus in 10 years time". Caylus was released in 2005. That still gets a chuckle from me.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Geekway Mini is this weekend and I couldn't be more excited for 3 days of uninterrupted board gaming. I've been craving this for so long.

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023

facepalmolive posted:

So after our long hiatus, we (just me and the SO) hit up a couple board game cafes over winter break and binged on board games.

Wingspan -- We had to try it because of the hype because we love engine builders. On our very first game, boyfriend happened to have both 'sac 1 egg, gain 2 of any food' and 'repeat action in this row', so he opened with that play. Meanwhile, I couldn't play my other birds (I know now to discard more birds for more food in my starting hand), none of the dice in the feeder were colors I wanted, and the dice weren't getting cycled because the boyfriend stopped taking dice from the feeder. So here I am, taking 1 food at a time from the feeder, praying to reroll the die to something remotely usable. Meanwhile it's still the first round and he's getting 4 food of his choice every 3 turns. It felt like I was actively getting shut out of the game, not even by my opponents, but by the game mechanics itself. We quickly recognized that we were in a degenerate game state, so we started a new game, which turned out more 'normal'. But by then we had such a poor first impression... and even first impressions aside, the engines themselves felt very bare-bones and minimalist.

I haven't played many engine builders, but I similarly was not impressed by Wingspan, besides the great art, I found the theme to be weak and each game I felt like I couldn't get a lot done by the end. Also, since each cards action is optional (unless we were doing something wrong, you have no risk in choosing a card with an action that could be bad for you sometimes.

Not the same genre, but I'm reminded because both games have great art and component quality, me and my girlfriend have been enjoying Parks recently. I find the theme matches the game well and there's generally enough choices each turn to keep it compelling.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

facepalmolive posted:

Grand Austria Hotel -- Well we just hosed up this game hard. Both of us blew our initial money, which kinda screwed us over later on. We just couldn't do anything later on. In retrospect, both of us picked guests from the market based on color (completing blocks of rooms) as well as card effects, rather than the resource costs of the cards (which would let us put food directly onto cards more efficiently). Still, it feels like there's very few sources of income? I don't know. We clearly sucked at this game. I wouldn't mind trying it again to figure it out; SO is less keen on it.

Yes, running out of money is an extremely bad situation in Grand Austria Hotel. It's basically the spark plug to your engine, you spend a little and get a little back, and you should absolutely be jumping on sources of that whenever you can. Assuming you're running the identical night side of the boards, a big early-game target is the 4-block of red rooms on the first two floors. What you're looking for aside from that are the customer bonuses - not only money but discounts and free versions of things that would otherwise cost you money. Rather than paying for expensive staff cards, you should be judiciously amping up your basic actions to improve customer turnover.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

1upmuffin posted:

I haven't played many engine builders, but I similarly was not impressed by Wingspan, besides the great art, I found the theme to be weak and each game I felt like I couldn't get a lot done by the end. Also, since each cards action is optional (unless we were doing something wrong, you have no risk in choosing a card with an action that could be bad for you sometimes.

Not the same genre, but I'm reminded because both games have great art and component quality, me and my girlfriend have been enjoying Parks recently. I find the theme matches the game well and there's generally enough choices each turn to keep it compelling.

Yeah, not really much to add, but I agree with all this 100%. They're not really comparable games, but parks definitely gives me the experience that I was expecting from wingspan

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

facepalmolive posted:

Wingspan -- We had to try it because of the hype because we love engine builders. On our very first game, boyfriend happened to have both 'sac 1 egg, gain 2 of any food' and 'repeat action in this row', so he opened with that play. Meanwhile, I couldn't play my other birds (I know now to discard more birds for more food in my starting hand), none of the dice in the feeder were colors I wanted, and the dice weren't getting cycled because the boyfriend stopped taking dice from the feeder. So here I am, taking 1 food at a time from the feeder, praying to reroll the die to something remotely usable. Meanwhile it's still the first round and he's getting 4 food of his choice every 3 turns.

I've played probably thirty games of Wingspan (my girlfriend really likes birds :shrug:), and it sounds like you got unlucky in multiple ways. There are new player guides that come with the game that give you a pre-set starting hand and walk you through your first handful of turns to teach you how to play and make sure that you don't keep too many birds and end up without enough food to play them. From the other direction, there are two birds that turn one egg into two food and they are easily the strongest birds in the base game (and in the expansions, really, though they have more competition).

facepalmolive posted:

It felt like I was actively getting shut out of the game, not even by my opponents, but by the game mechanics itself.

It's definitely at its weakest with two players; for 2p games we usually add the automated player so that the birdfeeder/tray doesn't stall. Also worth noting that you can spend two food of any type as a wild food so you can't get fully stuck.

facepalmolive posted:

We quickly recognized that we were in a degenerate game state, so we started a new game, which turned out more 'normal'. But by then we had such a poor first impression... and even first impressions aside, the engines themselves felt very bare-bones and minimalist.

The engines are very light: an environment can only hold five birds and the birds don't generally interact with each other in particularly interesting ways. It's not a game where you have to puzzle out a complicated combination of birds to score the most points, you're usually just trying to get enough decent birds in the same environment so that you can activate it a bunch in the later rounds. I've found it to be a good introduction for people who aren't familiar with board games but I don't imagine it would last long at a table of veteran players. I will say to its credit that the expansions have smoothed off a lot of the rough edges, particularly Oceania.

1upmuffin posted:

Also, since each cards action is optional (unless we were doing something wrong, you have no risk in choosing a card with an action that could be bad for you sometimes.
You're correct about them being optional, though I don't think any of them are intended to be risky. With the way the game works spending your limited turns playing birds that you can't use is punishing enough on its own.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

We've been bitten by the Ginkgopolis bug recently. Played 4 games over the last two weeks and it is SO fun. After the first game where we initially mucked up the district scoring (didn't reward 2nd place at all), we've been having a brutal knife fight in every game and it is fantastic. Drafting, check; engine building, check; tile placement, check; area control, check. What DOESN'T this game do.
Has anyone played with Experts and does it add anything worth having?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Spiteski posted:

We've been bitten by the Ginkgopolis bug recently. Played 4 games over the last two weeks and it is SO fun. After the first game where we initially mucked up the district scoring (didn't reward 2nd place at all), we've been having a brutal knife fight in every game and it is fantastic. Drafting, check; engine building, check; tile placement, check; area control, check. What DOESN'T this game do.
Has anyone played with Experts and does it add anything worth having?

Are you playing 2P? I know a lot of people have it as one of the GOATs and it was OOP forever. I think I know one person with a copy and he cannot be trusted for objective reviews since he's firmly in the cult of acquiring the shiny for the sake of it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

Are you playing 2P? I know a lot of people have it as one of the GOATs and it was OOP forever. I think I know one person with a copy and he cannot be trusted for objective reviews since he's firmly in the cult of acquiring the shiny for the sake of it.

We played 3p and 4p for our plays. 3p was objectively the shittiest experience cause you have to shuffle the discard CONSTANTLY for the first few rounds when you discard the 7 cards for the missing 4th player. 2p we haven't tried yet but given it's my wife and I's current hotness we'll likely try it at 2p and see what it's like soon. Does experts provide changes for 2p?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Wallet posted:

I will say to its credit that the expansions have smoothed off a lot of the rough edges, particularly Oceania.

I've played way more of base Wingspan than I actually wanted to just because it's so popular, and yeah I'll second this. It turned it from an ehh game to something I actually liked.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

an actual dog posted:

I've played way more of base Wingspan than I actually wanted to just because it's so popular, and yeah I'll second this. It turned it from an ehh game to something I actually liked.

I definitely agree re: Oceania. Both the introduction of nectar and smoothing out the middle of the mats (positions 2-4) are significant improvements to gameplay. The one rule we don't use is the 5/2 points for most nectar per habitat. Nectar's already so good, and being caught with it at the end of round is a minor drawback that doesn't outweigh its usefulness, so that giving points for using more of the best resource in the game seems excessive. Instead, if anything, you should get 0/1/2 points for playing a bird with 1/2/3 items in its food cost if you don't use nectar for any of the cost (unless it's one of the rare birds that require nectar, and then if you use nectar only for the nectar need). (You could score it by caching nectar on the bird.)

The one thing Oceania didn't fix is that a solid default strategy (unless you get birds that suggest a better one, like wetlands multi-tucking) is to make sure your grasslands are full by the fourth round, ensure you've got lots of egg space, and just poo poo out eggs for your last five actions. Last game I played, I was laying six eggs a turn thanks to a couple of brown powers, which is neat but not especially noteworthy.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Admiralty Flag posted:

The one thing Oceania didn't fix is that a solid default strategy (unless you get birds that suggest a better one, like wetlands multi-tucking) is to make sure your grasslands are full by the fourth round, ensure you've got lots of egg space, and just poo poo out eggs for your last five actions. Last game I played, I was laying six eggs a turn thanks to a couple of brown powers, which is neat but not especially noteworthy.

This is still an improvement on base Wingspan, where even if you aren't going for an egg strategy you'll probably end up laying eggs for points eventually. It's still probably weighted towards eggs, but Oceania felt more open for possibilities.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
^^^ Oh yeah, that too. It felt like the entire last round was both of us just laying eggs until our birds were bursting at the bellies.

LifeLynx posted:

Those were SU&SD's complaints about Wingspan, that it was so obvious when one person is getting everything they want and you're struggling to both do more than basic actions and to look like you're enjoying yourself.

We watched SU&SD's review afterwards, and we agreed with a lot of their complaints. We actually had a discussion afterwards about it -- how 'feel-bad' is that kind of situation for you, to watch your opponents play more game than you do? I think we decided it's generally not great, but can be forgiven if the game is short (and Wingspan is fairly short). What really killed our first impression was that if we reached (what felt like) a degenerate game state in our first game, my first thought was 'did they even playtest this game?'

Oh another complaint we had was, for as many bird cards as there were, there really weren't that many different abilities. A lot of abilities are copy-pasted off each other, or just the same ability but more/less powerful. Overall we felt like it was a very 'safe' engine builder -- it doesn't do anything particularly interesting that would keep us going back.

quote:

We busted out 7 Wonders Duel the other day again and my fiance beat me twice in a row with a military victory, so I know she'll be going for that from now on until I manage to shut her out. I really should have been able to stop her the second game, but she picked up that +1 to all military coin and then got terribly lucky with two paths that opened up revealing a red 2 and red 3.

7 Wonders Duel was next on our list if we had more time! We might go back this weekend (I want to support our local board game cafes).

Wallet posted:

It's definitely at its weakest with two players; for 2p games we usually add the automated player so that the birdfeeder/tray doesn't stall. Also worth noting that you can spend two food of any type as a wild food so you can't get fully stuck.

This is a great idea, and we probably should have thought of doing that. Yeah, the stall was what killed it for me, more so than the fact that I was falling further behind.

Magnetic North posted:

Happy to see you re-finding the hobby. I'll add to the chorus of Jaipur fans, but I will add that some couples I have introduced it to have bounced off hard. It has a bit of a push-your-luck element that is not for everyone, and there is a lot more competition for top quality 2-player only games than there way when it was first published over a decade ago.

I think you hit the nail on the head. We're not big on push-your-luck at all. Although in Jaipur's case, it's probably more of a mix of push-your-luck and reading your opponent, which makes it more interesting (as opposed to push-your-luck as in you vs. the game mechanics). I can totally see how it becomes a metagaming thing, that can be pretty cool.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 14, 2023

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

This is still my biggest issue with the game. I think you're making it worse by playing without nectar points as it's an important part of making food focused strategies viable, but even if you force a grasslands strategy without getting any particularly good cards for it you'll end up with a respectable score. Tuck/food strategies are extremely draw dependent because you start in the hole relative to eggs.

The game also inherently pushes you towards boring final rounds. I usually aim to be producing at least 6 points an activation in the final round, so to break even on playing a bird it has to be worth at least eight points (given I'm unlikely to have less than two birds in any habitat), and that's only if I already have all of the food I need to play it.

facepalmolive posted:

Oh another complaint we had was, for as many bird cards as there were, there really weren't that many different abilities. A lot of abilities are copy-pasted off each other, or just the same ability but more/less powerful. Overall we felt like it was a very 'safe' engine builder -- it doesn't do anything particularly interesting that would keep us going back.

The expansions all contain a significant number of birds that add other types of abilities (round end abilities, game end abilities, abilities that trigger based on other player's actions, etc) and other ways to convert resources into points.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 15, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Anyone ever buy a Folded Space insert? https://www.foldedspace.net/ Was considering getting the Concordia one.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Magnetic North posted:

Anyone ever buy a Folded Space insert? https://www.foldedspace.net/ Was considering getting the Concordia one.

I got one bundled with Gentes and another one just came with Frosthaven. I've made a lot of custom foamcore inserts and they're self-evidently nicer than my own work. They use a higher quality foamcore than you can get from the science fair boards at Wal-Mart and their cuts are always straight. Assembly is simple and pleasant, but loving hell, the shipping from Bulgaria has kept me from buying more.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I kinda want to get an insert for Root, anyone know of a good one that would fit the 6 expansion factions? We're never going to play with Vagabonds, so, might be possible to fit all the other stuff?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

I used the one that came with my Call to Adventure pre-order and it was aggressively OK

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Poopy Palpy posted:

I got one bundled with Gentes and another one just came with Frosthaven. I've made a lot of custom foamcore inserts and they're self-evidently nicer than my own work. They use a higher quality foamcore than you can get from the science fair boards at Wal-Mart and their cuts are always straight. Assembly is simple and pleasant, but loving hell, the shipping from Bulgaria has kept me from buying more.

Oh wow. They are the only inserts I've found that are easy to get in Australia because everything else has huge shipping costs.

I've bought a few and they've been acceptable to good.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I also got the Gentes organizer from the kickstarter and while it's nice, it did not convince me that custom organizers are ever worth the money.

Plano boxes might be less aesthetically appealing but they're a lot cheaper and also let me store my games vertically without worrying about components spilling around. Also far more useful if you ever want to condense multiple games into a single box for travel purposes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Poopy Palpy posted:

I got one with Gentes as well, and I've made a bunch of inserts myself. While the ones from Folded Space have good materials and cuts, the designs are really generic, and I know I could make them more interesting/useful rather than just a bunch of rectangular boxes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I picked up a Dicetroyers wooden insert for AFFO that is really nice and holds everything well. Fits both the base game and the expansion. Currently on sale for €35 on their website, so I will strongly recommend it.

E: https://thedicetroyers.com/shop/a-feast-for-odin-organizer/

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 16, 2023

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
There are also some nice 3D print files for board game organizers and a lot of libraries offer 3D print services now.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

I picked up a Dicetroyers wooden insert for AFFO that is really nice and holds everything well. Fits both the base game and the expansion. Currently on sale for €35 on their website, so I will strongly recommend it.

E: https://thedicetroyers.com/shop/a-feast-for-odin-organizer/

Looks fantastic but brutal shipping to Canada. I wonder if I should start sending things to family in Germany for eventual import down the line.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I know some people in this thread use the "BG Stats" app to record their plays. I've been using it and had no issues importing all my previous plays from BGG, but it does not appear to be simultaneously syncing. My stats from BGG are not updating each week when I log plays in BG Stats. Does it have the capability to do this and if so how does one ensure it works?

Also is there any way to edit previous logged plays on either the app or BGG? I can't seem to find a way to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Megasabin posted:

Also is there any way to edit previous logged plays on either the app or BGG? I can't seem to find a way to do that.

On Android, hamburger menu in top left->All Plays->(previously logged play) doesn't give you a big Edit button on the top right?