Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Character creation in foundry (at least the ability scores stuff) was made a lot better fairly recently.

Yeah ability score stuff is way better, but feat selection and management still kind of sucks if you don’t know what you’re looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is there a decent way to use a staff as a bard and still get the +1/2/3 item bonus that DCs assume you'll be getting? I'm only finding two-handed instruments and alchemical elixers.

Not being able to use magical staves seems kinda bad, especially with lower spell slots than sorcerers or wizards.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is there a decent way to use a staff as a bard and still get the +1/2/3 item bonus that DCs assume you'll be getting? I'm only finding two-handed instruments and alchemical elixers.

Not being able to use magical staves seems kinda bad, especially with lower spell slots than sorcerers or wizards.

You can put Fundamental Runes (potency and striking) on a staff just fine.

You just can’t put Property Runes (like Flaming, Wounding, etc) on one.

quote:

Attacking with a Staff
Source Core Rulebook pg. 592 4.0
Staves are also staff weapons. They can be etched with fundamental runes but not property runes. This doesn't alter any of their spellcasting abilities.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=748

(There’s a Magus feat to put property runes on a Staff, but I don’t think it’s accessible via a dedication)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah ability score stuff is way better, but feat selection and management still kind of sucks if you don’t know what you’re looking for.

I figure it'll eventually turn into a full character generator, since at this point the main thing left in raw (if clunky) functionality is not having a way to track skill training/increases.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

KPC_Mammon posted:

Each skill page on Archives of Nethys has a table behind a dropdown with every item that grants a bonus to that skill. Here's the page for Performance.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Hey in pathfinder 2e is there a concept of monster templates? In 4e there were all these mechanics to add some class features to a monster, like if you had a group of goblins and quick wanted to make them a little more unique, you could template a couple of them to clerics/shaman and a couple rangers or something. Of course that was a little easier with how D&D 4e's powers worked.

I guess the closest analogue in pf2e would be something like applying an archetype to a creature. That's not quite the right idea because they included specific powers and abilities rather than just feats, of course. Just thematically that's sort of the idea. Just wondering if there's any mechanics like that anywhere that I'm not finding? The only thing I've seen is monster templates that sort of turn something into a skeleton or zombie or an 'elite' version of a critter, but don't really add powers/unique abilities for the most part.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 14, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a way to set it up to just show the dice roll, and let them roll the dice manually? Everyone is probably going to have their laptop, but I worry that something will be lost with out the clacky cubes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rescue Toaster posted:

Hey in pathfinder 2e is there a concept of monster templates? In 4e there were all these mechanics to add some class features to a monster, like if you had a group of goblins and quick wanted to make them a little more unique, you could template a couple of them to clerics/shaman and a couple rangers or something. Of course that was a little easier with how D&D 4e's powers worked.

I guess the closest analogue in pf2e would be something like applying an archetype to a creature. That's not quite the right idea because they included specific powers and abilities rather than just feats, of course. Just thematically that's sort of the idea. Just wondering if there's any mechanics like that anywhere that I'm not finding? The only thing I've seen is monster templates that sort of turn something into a skeleton or zombie or an 'elite' version of a critter, but don't really add powers/unique abilities for the most part.

Look at the "class abilities" sidebar from the GMG about creating NPCs, you'll have to scroll down a bit here but it's the same thing https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1042

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

You can put Fundamental Runes (potency and striking) on a staff just fine.

You just can’t put Property Runes (like Flaming, Wounding, etc) on one.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=748

(There’s a Magus feat to put property runes on a Staff, but I don’t think it’s accessible via a dedication)

Sorry, I meant an item bonus to performance, sorry! Making very hard DC skill checks that scale with your level is a thing expected of bards and I was looking for ways to make it happen reliably.

Red Metal posted:

Each skill page on Archives of Nethys has a table behind a dropdown with every item that grants a bonus to that skill. Here's the page for Performance.

I checked that previously and the answer seems to be no. Maestro's instrument takes 2 hands. Seems extremely weird when some other skills have worn items that can give bonuses to all checks.

One handed instruments exist, they are referenced in the bard class and the thaumaturge's bell, but I've not found any that aid in performance.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 14, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Sorry, I meant an item bonus to performance, sorry! Making very hard DC skill checks that scale with your level is a thing expected of bards and I was looking for ways to make it happen reliably.

I checked that previously and the answer seems to be no. Maestro's instrument takes 2 hands. Seems extremely weird when some other skills have worn items that can give bonuses to all checks.

One handed instruments exist, they are referenced in the bard class and the thaumaturge's bell, but I've not found any that aid in performance.

Persona Mask and Horn of Blasting should both work?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

Persona Mask and Horn of Blasting should both work?

Is the lack of +3 versions not a big deal? The difference between succeeding on a skill check and critically succeeding is pretty big for inspire heroics.

Horn of Blasting probably wins out. I love how bards can play an instrument instead of using spell components.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is the lack of +3 versions not a big deal? The difference between succeeding on a skill check and critically succeeding is pretty big for inspire heroics.

Horn of Blasting probably wins out. I love how bards can play an instrument instead of using spell components.

It’s definitely A Deal, but also, it’s a level 17 problem - there is an uncommon option if you’re playing in a long running campaign, talk to your GM. If you’re doing level 17+ play in PFS, get used to interacting to swap hands I guess.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hello friends the D&D drama has made me look at pathfinder and now my group is really excited to try it out and maybe do an AP, i am excited. Just grabbed the beginner box, and then we'll look at whats available for a campaign and dive right in. I'm a DM so yay for having a ton of work ahead learning something new buuuuut poo poo, just reading the feats and stuff things seem so much more dynamic than 5e, especially martials.

I may try and steer them towards kingmaker beacuse i played and beat the game and loved it, so i have some of that inbuilt knowledge lol.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

queeb posted:

hello friends the D&D drama has made me look at pathfinder and now my group is really excited to try it out and maybe do an AP, i am excited. Just grabbed the beginner box, and then we'll look at whats available for a campaign and dive right in. I'm a DM so yay for having a ton of work ahead learning something new buuuuut poo poo, just reading the feats and stuff things seem so much more dynamic than 5e, especially martials.

I may try and steer them towards kingmaker beacuse i played and beat the game and loved it, so i have some of that inbuilt knowledge lol.

You can pretty seamlessly go from the beginner box to a combination of Abomination Vaults and Troubles in Otari. Each chapter of the Otari book can be used as town-based filler between delves into the vaults.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

KPC_Mammon posted:

You can pretty seamlessly go from the beginner box to a combination of Abomination Vaults and Troubles in Otari. Each chapter of the Otari book can be used as town-based filler between delves into the vaults.

Ok awesome, that may be a better idea before diving into something as huge as kingmaker.

Is 3 an OK party size for PF2E? We made 5E work, we have a 4th that sometimes plays but usually its 3 players and me DM.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

queeb posted:

Ok awesome, that may be a better idea before diving into something as huge as kingmaker.

Is 3 an OK party size for PF2E? We made 5E work, we have a 4th that sometimes plays but usually its 3 players and me DM.

A party of three with an extra level is about as good as a party of 4. This actually makes beginner box -> first chapter of troubles in otari -> abomination vaults flow extremely well. Add in additional chapters from troubles when they make sense.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

queeb posted:

APs are generally written for 4 but it’s really really easy to adjust encounters down using xp budgets

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Rescue Toaster posted:

No, there isn’t anything you can quickly grab. For me, I look at abilities other similar monsters have or feats that players can have, re-theme them and redo their stats. That’s all there really is.

The GMG includes monster combat role explanations and the stat spreads for each, which you can use directly for archetypes.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Forgive me for barging into this thread but given recent events I was curious about PFE2's character options, coming in as someone whom mostly has a D&D 5e framework. A lot of people talk well of the character creation options and sheer variety of what you can do, but in practical reality is there effectively alot of viable options? Obviously not everything needs to be peak optimal, but people make it sound like PFE2 has a lot of interesting builds that even if they're not 'peak', are not disappointing to play.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
So long as you have a 16 or 18 in the stat you are using to attack people with, your character in PF2 is viable.
Nearly all the classes are good and the main difference in effectiveness is player skill and teamwork.

Alchemist isn't even purely bad per se, it strengths are a lot more in suppling defensive tools to the party. Bombs also vary in effectiveness a lot depending on if the opposition have any Weakness the alchemist can exploit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

HidaO-Win posted:

So long as you have a 16 or 18 in the stat you are using to attack people with, your character in PF2 is viable.
Nearly all the classes are good and the main difference in effectiveness is player skill and teamwork.

I had a 16 dex rogue once and would not recommend. Fortunately DM was generous with retraining when APG came out and now he's a perfect swashy

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Harold Fjord posted:

I had a 16 dex rogue once and would not recommend. Fortunately DM was generous with retraining when APG came out and now he's a perfect swashy

I'd always go 18 if I could, but with some classes its not an option. Also over the full 20 levels you are 1 behind about half the time.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Playing Strength of Thousands as a cleric, just hit level 5. Decided to go in on debuffs because we've got a bard who's got the buff side pretty well covered, and discovering that all the ones I picked have the Mental tag, which is occasionally a problem. Are there any good debuffs I should keep in mind that will be helpful against mindless/Mental-immune things? I'm not very deep in on system mastery for PF2e, are there any standouts I should make sure to pick up?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Iirc spiritual weapon is reliable. There's all sorts of ways to mess up mindless undead of course but for most things nothing beats a good smack in the face

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 14, 2023

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
anyone else playing Strength of Thousands? African Hogwarts is a really fun combination. needs more NPC interaction in the later part though, we're dungeon crawling at this point like most Pathfinder modules. poor circus campaign...

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Analytic Engine posted:

anyone else playing Strength of Thousands? African Hogwarts is a really fun combination. needs more NPC interaction in the later part though, we're dungeon crawling at this point like most Pathfinder modules. poor circus campaign...

Heading into the last book now, its been decent but the players weren’t major fans of most of the teachers.

The school not really being a school bugged them. They were annoyed that the teachers kept giving them adventuring party jobs to do.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm starting a new pathfinder game, at level 1 so I can get my feet wet, as I've only run 2 other games in the system, and while I'm a good GM, I'm still not familiar with the system. (Rule Lawyers please apply lol.) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021929

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

Playing Strength of Thousands as a cleric, just hit level 5. Decided to go in on debuffs because we've got a bard who's got the buff side pretty well covered, and discovering that all the ones I picked have the Mental tag, which is occasionally a problem. Are there any good debuffs I should keep in mind that will be helpful against mindless/Mental-immune things? I'm not very deep in on system mastery for PF2e, are there any standouts I should make sure to pick up?

Your strength as a cleric is the flexibility of which spells you prepare on a given day. Cleric has some good damage AoEs later on and if you are running into undead you are spoilt for choice. See if research or even an Augury spell lets the GM give you a hint about what spells might be useful on an upcoming day.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

HidaO-Win posted:

Heading into the last book now, its been decent but the players weren’t major fans of most of the teachers.

The school not really being a school bugged them. They were annoyed that the teachers kept giving them adventuring party jobs to do.

On the other hand I'm a robot deer berserker who now has a cute flower on my head after pushing it into the tree pillar at the pavilion so 10/10 AP for me so far. I really wanna play more pf2e and give starfinder a try even if I'd have to fight myself really hard to not just make a dwarf from deep rock galactic

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Analytic Engine posted:

I'm on the fourth book and the first chapter extends the Influence subsystem out to cover several sessions (instead of one social encounter). This is fine, but you basically have to homebrew a lot more than usual to fill it out. Other than that, I've had a great time DMing it and my players have really enjoyed it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Thanks for the recs, I had been kind of slacking on tailoring my spells and just kind of been sticking with whatever I picked when I got the new slots. Re: Strength of Thousands, we've been having a good time with it, I think we're a little ways into Book 3? Our DM has been on the ball with smoothing out the DCs and working around the weird plans we try. I think we're generally okay with the school not being as school-ish because the characters are all adults coming here in the middle of their own careers.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone played an inventor? Running a Gnoll in the Power Suit and it's tremendous fun, just feel like I don't really have a role, game has recently hit level 4 and one character has respecced into a wizard so I've stopped trying to engage with scroll trickery and spotting magic especially after the DM said I needed to know 'detect magic' to work out if something is magical before I can try to identify it, which was frustrating..
Mainly it's the crafting side feeling so hard to engage with since everything takes at least four days to make which is not easy to come by.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Cassa posted:

Anyone played an inventor? Running a Gnoll in the Power Suit and it's tremendous fun, just feel like I don't really have a role, game has recently hit level 4 and one character has respecced into a wizard so I've stopped trying to engage with scroll trickery and spotting magic especially after the DM said I needed to know 'detect magic' to work out if something is magical before I can try to identify it, which was frustrating..
Mainly it's the crafting side feeling so hard to engage with since everything takes at least four days to make which is not easy to come by.

I would ask the gm to let you have more leeway with crafting time to help out honestly. Otherwise you can always respec! During downtime you can swap around feats if something is no longer working for you. Maybe attempt to retrain to a weapon invention if you want to change your role!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cassa posted:

The key to engaging with crafting as an inventor is to grab the Gadget feats that give you a daily pool of technological items that work like an alchemists reagents - essentially a sort of quasi spell slots for various gimmicks.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
So for the longer adventure paths, that are broken up into six sections, can you start halfway through, or is going to be too much trouble bringing a group in halfway through a series? Is there a path one can jump a group into at level 11 where the back half is well written even if the path had a shaky start?

I'm going to be starting a new game with my group and after discussion everybody wants to try PF2E. (The group was already ready to try something not-5E anyway, even without all the OGL kerfuffle.) I'm lazy and looking for an adventure path to run, but it looks like ones most interesting to me and the group are the shorter ones. So I'm wondering if I can start with one of those and then, if the campaign's survived that long, pivot to another adventure path. Although this'll be a reset rather than trying to convert 5E characters, my group does want at least the theoretical possibility to play to 20 if the burned out DM (that's me) doesn't flip the table again.

(I did see there's one 11-20 adventure path, and I do have the Mortal Kombat soundtrack if I really need it, but the group wasn't super excited about arena combats.)

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Base Emitter posted:

So for the longer adventure paths, that are broken up into six sections, can you start halfway through, or is going to be too much trouble bringing a group in halfway through a series? Is there a path one can jump a group into at level 11 where the back half is well written even if the path had a shaky start?

The main thing I'd suggest for adventure paths is slowing them down a little. A lot of the ones I've played are just action scene to action scene with zero down time. Edgewatch is especially guilty of this. Forcibly putting in some breaks for the team to do other stuff would do wonders for chilling them out.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Base Emitter posted:

I'm going to be starting a new game with my group and after discussion everybody wants to try PF2E. (The group was already ready to try something not-5E anyway, even without all the OGL kerfuffle.) I'm lazy and looking for an adventure path to run, but it looks like ones most interesting to me and the group are the shorter ones. So I'm wondering if I can start with one of those and then, if the campaign's survived that long, pivot to another adventure path. Although this'll be a reset rather than trying to convert 5E characters, my group does want at least the theoretical possibility to play to 20 if the burned out DM (that's me) doesn't flip the table again.

(I did see there's one 11-20 adventure path, and I do have the Mortal Kombat soundtrack if I really need it, but the group wasn't super excited about arena combats.)

Another 11-20 adventure path is coming out this year, maybe that appeals more? It definitely does to me and my group.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
If you are coming from 5e for the first time, start at level 1. There are a lot more options to deal with and the combat can be very slow until everyone’s up to speed with the system.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i am quickly discovering how much is involved in DMing a system i've never played before. But man this beginner box owns and so far im kinda loving the systems, this 3 action setup is dope.

it seems like encounter building is easier too?

queeb fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

queeb posted:

yeah i am quickly discovering how much is involved in DMing a system i've never played before. But man this beginner box owns and so far im kinda loving the systems, this 3 action setup is dope.

it seems like encounter building is easier too?

Encounter building works much, much better than in 5e yes.