Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Love to break out at my age. Crow's feet and a big old zit, so classy.

Fucks sake, I am the same.
Old rear end woman, big old zit on my nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm reading 'A Curious History of Sex' by Kate Lister and it had a bit in its chapter on menstruation (Titled 'Period Drama' which gave me a chuckle) and I thought of this thread.

Kate Lister posted:

For those of you who have never experienced severe PMS, allow me to paint a picture for you. It's loving ugly. Your body bloats, your tits hurt and you sweat uncontrollably. Your crevices start to feel like a swamp and your head is pounding all the time. You feel like you have a cold -- shivering, aching, nauseated -- and have the hair-trigger emotions of someone who has not slept for days. But we're not done yet. The intense cramping across your lower abdomen feels like the worst diarrhoea you've ever had -- in fact, you'll also get diarrhoea, to help with the crying fits. As your internal organs contract and tear themselves to bloodied bits so you can lay an egg, blasts of searing pain rip through you. Sometimes they're so bad, you double over and can't breathe until it's passed, and the dull, constant ache returns. Nothing can satisfy the food monster that has been unleashed in your belly. It's braying for sugar and carbs like a fat yak. Some foods make you feel sick. Some smells turn your stomach and make you retch. You don't know what you want to eat, but you want to eat a lot of it. You bleed so much that all 'intimate feminine hygiene' products fail you - it's like trying to control a lava flow with an oven mitt. You worry people can smell your period. You are terrified to sit on anything or stand up for a week in case you've bled through. And as you're sitting, a crying, sweaty, wobbly, spotty, smelly mess, some bastard asks "Time of the month, love?" And then you have to eat his head.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
If you bleed during PMS, doesn't that just make it regular MS? I don't know, I'm one of the few (apparently) uterus-havers who doesn't get PMS, so it still terrifies & befuddles me.

That said, I'm currently suffering from period poops, so I'm not TOTALLY lucky or anything.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

If you bleed during PMS, doesn't that just make it regular MS? I don't know, I'm one of the few (apparently) uterus-havers who doesn't get PMS, so it still terrifies & befuddles me.

That said, I'm currently suffering from period poops, so I'm not TOTALLY lucky or anything.

Yes, I would have some bloating and back pain (loving scoliosis!) but otherwise things were fine.
And salt cravings.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah, nah, I get really heavy periods, plus I get mittelschmertz when (and only when) my right ovary is on the job, but I've never had any of the terrible cramping pains other people get.
I also occasionally get the weird super-deep depression that comes on in minutes, lasts a few hours, then completely vanishes. I hate that - I usually recognize it for what it is fairly quickly, but it doesn't make it any less bleak while it lasts.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Plot twist: regular screen for cervical cancer, lightly mention that I have very (very very) light spotting once or twice a year and now I'm being scheduled for a uterine ultrasound.
It's probably nothing, but I'm still nervous. loving dumbass organ just cannot leave me be!

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

xcheopis posted:

Yes, I would have some bloating and back pain (loving scoliosis!) but otherwise things were fine.
And salt cravings.

What up scoliosis period back pain friend :hfive:

This last round was heavy and wow I feel my hormones are still regulating from it. Could also be the seasonal sads.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I swear, it's like my period specifically waited until after the weekend was over to start just to make using weed to alleviate cramps less fun. So much for the only-mild cramps I had like five months in a row. :gonk:

xcheopis posted:

Plot twist: regular screen for cervical cancer, lightly mention that I have very (very very) light spotting once or twice a year and now I'm being scheduled for a uterine ultrasound.
It's probably nothing, but I'm still nervous. loving dumbass organ just cannot leave me be!

Fingers crossed!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

What up scoliosis period back pain friend :hfive:

This last round was heavy and wow I feel my hormones are still regulating from it. Could also be the seasonal sads.

As if it's not bad enough on it's own!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I swear, it's like my period specifically waited until after the weekend was over to start just to make using weed to alleviate cramps less fun. So much for the only-mild cramps I had like five months in a row. :gonk:

Fingers crossed!

Thanks! I'm certain it will be nothing much but there's always that doubt.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Middle of my month, tits hurt and my lower back feels like a donkey kicked it, took a test and tested positively towards the negative (thank gently caress)

Any uterus-havers in the thread who completed the menopause arc or are in said arc, is this a sign of the end? I seriously have not had boob/back pain like this without a rag imminent. fwiw I'm 41, no recent covid boosters

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pyrtanis posted:

Middle of my month, tits hurt and my lower back feels like a donkey kicked it, took a test and tested positively towards the negative (thank gently caress)

Any uterus-havers in the thread who completed the menopause arc or are in said arc, is this a sign of the end? I seriously have not had boob/back pain like this without a rag imminent. fwiw I'm 41, no recent covid boosters

No, I never had breast pain and my back pain was always god awful. My "hints" were a suddenly, and wildly, erratic cycle and bleeding both longer and far far more than my normal.
But not everyone has the same "symptoms". My little sister's just stopped and never came back. No warning, no hot flashes, no discomfort. I hate her.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Wish me luck goonfolx, today’s the day for my hysterectomy. My adieuterus. I’ll still be getting all the fun emotional waves but no more blood, woo! I joked that I was getting spayed and my sis did not appreciate it, lol!

So tired of waiting but I know that’s the process. Thanks for being a place to vent during the red tide!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It's entirely not time, only like 2 weeks removed from my last period, so why spotting >:(

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Wish me luck goonfolx, today’s the day for my hysterectomy. My adieuterus. I’ll still be getting all the fun emotional waves but no more blood, woo! I joked that I was getting spayed and my sis did not appreciate it, lol!

So tired of waiting but I know that’s the process. Thanks for being a place to vent during the red tide!

Good luck!!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Love it when my cramps are so bad in my sleep that I dream I'm getting stabbed.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Best wishes and a speedy recovery!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Break a leg!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

WOOOOmb!

But seriously, all the best, hope your recovery is fast and easy :)

On menpause/perimenopause chat, I'm a little suspicious of my latest period.
It sort of started yesterday, but hasn't progressed beyond the "fits and starts" stage that normally lasts about 12 hours. I usually get a little bit of old blood at that point, then, some hours later, the new blood craziness begins.
It's been over 24 hours, and it's still sputtering along with the old stuff.

Sus, as the kids say...

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 13, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm 44 and the peri menopause is stupid. Erratic cycles, more pain, heavier, PMDD, they better just stop soon I swear.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Craving some cheese and feeling unhappy snappy.

So, feeling like I need to catch up with the thread to help get through the next little slot of time.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh I got a new one for y'all that always gets worse during this time of the month.

My dogs eating my drat panties.

They literally will dig them out of the hamper, and it's only worse when I'm on my period. It's like they crave fresh meat and they just have to eat everything utterly nasty.

I'm tired of doing laundry and pulling a wad of my underwear out of the dresser to discover critical parts of it are missing that maintain modesty.

I'm assuming I'm not alone with this problem.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

xcheopis posted:

Good luck. :glomp:

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Oh I got a new one for y'all that always gets worse during this time of the month.

They literally will dig them out of the hamper, and it's only worse when I'm on my period. It's like they crave fresh meat and they just have to eat everything utterly nasty.

I'm tired of doing laundry and pulling a wad of my underwear out of the dresser to discover critical parts of it are missing that maintain modesty.

My (former) roommate’s dog used to eat my tampons.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

The Titanic posted:

Yeah, my dog had to be locked out of the bathrooms after he insisted on eating my used pads as a teenager. Also had to keep the laundry room closed 'cause he would annihilate any underwear of mine that he found. Loved the bastard though

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
When I'm on the toilet during my period, my cat will sit between my legs and sniff me and/or my used pad, and it is completely disgusting but I still love her.

Also, I think this period might be over, but the clot-to-blood ratio was a bit higher than usual. Is there a proven correlation between clots & pain?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I like "yeeterus" myself :imunfunny:

Best of luck!!! May your recovery be swift and your hospital food edible.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

When I'm on the toilet during my period, my cat will sit between my legs and sniff me and/or my used pad, and it is completely disgusting but I still love her.

Also, I think this period might be over, but the clot-to-blood ratio was a bit higher than usual. Is there a proven correlation between clots & pain?

Dunno about proven but I feel like I notice that too.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Grats!

I got my tubes taken out in September, and do not regret it. I also got my implant taken out in October since I figured I no longer needed it and I DO regret that. I used to not have any PMS or periods or anything for the first two years of, and then weird off and on spotting for the last year before I needed to get it replaced. Now that all the hormones have been flushed out of my system, I'm having a period every other week and I am OVER it. Half of them are really light spotting thankfully, but the other half are really heavy (ask me about going through six extra heavy sleeping pads in one day!). This just started at the end of November so hopefully my system is just finding it's balance again and I'll go back to normal soon because if I don't I'm going to murder someone. I've been on one flavor of hormonal birth control or another for the last 20 years though, so if this my new normal I am already done.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 15, 2023

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Anybody find your mental illness get worse during PMS? I get really depressed during PMS times. (Yes I'm on SSRIs)

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗

Pomme de Terror posted:

Yeah, my dog had to be locked out of the bathrooms after he insisted on eating my used pads as a teenager. Also had to keep the laundry room closed 'cause he would annihilate any underwear of mine that he found. Loved the bastard though

I was at a party once and the person's dog came out of the back with my just discarded rolled up pad in his mouth. Absolutely mortified. Me, not the dog. He looked very satisfied with his find.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Anybody find your mental illness get worse during PMS? I get really depressed during PMS times. (Yes I'm on SSRIs)

Mine got worse on birth control on IUD. I had some not too serious but there all the same depression for years; it would come and go and get triggered by anxiety, but after I got pregnant I didn't get an IUD back in immediately and my depression and anxiety were mostly gone...except for about one day a month a week before my period when I will get some sad brain, but it clears up in a day. Been off birth control for 5 years now and I feel fantastic. I don't have insomnia any more either, which I used to get on the reg - except for that one day when I get the sad brain before my period. So there's deffo some kind of hormonal shift causing those symptoms.

For me at least there was a firm link between lady hormones/depression, and I've read lots of anecdotal accounts that other women had similar experiences, but after Googling it it turns out there isn't much research done on why or how or even in what amounts. Medical science just does not give a poo poo about how women feel.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My depression always got way the gently caress worse and as I progressively stepped down hormones from the pill, nuvaring and then finally paragard copper IUD I finally got a ton of relief from it.

I never made the connection that I got significantly more depressed when I started the pill at 15 and just had chalked it up to home life and standard hormones.

Dont get me wrong, I still had major depression but the criticality and waviness of it went down.

Like most thing involving womens bodys - doctors are just utter loving poo poo about making connections to hormones and mental health.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

A lovely thing about talking about it too is that one of the arguments conservatives make that woman shouldn't have birth control is that it can have negative health effects - although to be fair they mean that it makes you infertile or gives you cancer, because if anyone gives less of a poo poo about women's feelings that medical sciences it's conservatives. So mentioning it can make you seem like you're arguing for their arguments, so I think some women probably just shut up about it.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My depression and anxiety stopped around the same time I started skipping placebo pills, and my sleeping also improved around the same time :shrug:

No way to tell if it's causation or if both just correlate with the time of life where I started being able to make my own health and lifestyle decisions though. I'm sure not screwing with my BC routine to find out.

Shame no actual scientists have any incentive to do proper science on it, but you know how it is. People who menstruate are only half the population, so who can really say if there'd be any profit in catering to our needs or not.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

All these nutty broads are asking us to figure out why their time of month is making them goofy! They're hysterical!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Yeah, I definitely get more anxious in the week or so before my period. Usually the zoloft is pretty good with handling my anxiety, but during pms it's not quite enough.

The only time I feel like I've been truly depressed was when I was on the pill though. Switching to a copper iud was one of the best choices I've ever made. When my midwife asked me what I was thinking for bc after my last pregnancy I said another paragard almost before she'd finished the question, and I'll be doing the same after this pregnancy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
As horrible as loving periods are, tell me menopause isn't going to be worse.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
So far so good on the recovery front! The procedure went like clockwork. The whole nursing/med staff was incredible. I have zero regrets :D

I’m sure I’ll have more to gripe about once the good pain meds are out of my system, but now it’s time for more sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've been experimenting with trying not to have periods at all using nuvaring and it's not going great so far. First period skipped completely perfectly, second time I had very light bleeding for about a week during the week the ring would normally be out, this time I've had still light but definitely heavier bleeding during that whole week. I guess I'll see what happens next time and pull the plug if it looks like it's the same/heavier.

For reference if I keep the ring out for a week like instructed then I only bleed for a few days, not a whole week, and I can predict it exactly. Wouldn't be so bad to have that and then be able to skip a month here and there at will.