Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I impulse-bought a $5 bottle of Retsina wine and it's... Kind of good?? Like a basic semi-sweet white wine with a nice pine/rosemary backing.

Decent on its own, but equal parts with tonic and 1/3oz lime juice is great. Even better with gin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I loving love retsina, the ones I've had were more like $15 and weren't particularly sweet, but mixing them with tonic sounds great.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's Malamatina

It's not very sweet, but it's also not very dry, and I'm bad at describing things :haw:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Has anyone done a double blind taste test between super juice and Tang?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So I impulse-bought a $5 bottle of Retsina wine and it's... Kind of good?? Like a basic semi-sweet white wine with a nice pine/rosemary backing.

Decent on its own, but equal parts with tonic and 1/3oz lime juice is great. Even better with gin.

Retsina owns, especially ice cold on a hot day. In the summer time I always have a bottle of that and a bottle of vinho verde ready to go in the fridge.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Got some toschi amerena cherries to accompany the negroni/boulevardier/manhattan making.

Trip report coming soon

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Tasty cocktail, the cherries added a nice finish to the drink that wasn't as apparent when it was more full, but I definitely got a bit of a halls cough drop vibe when biting into them on their own.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I took a page from the Tokyo Old Fashioned at Bavette’s Steakhouse and made up some gum syrup with Okinawan kokuto sugar. Splitting that with allspice dram for a sweetener has resulted in the best old fashioned (or improved whiskey, if you want to get technical) I’ve personally ever made. I’m using Knob Creek 120 and not wasting Hibiki Harmony on it tho lol. It’s got a rich, thick texture and weight, along with a savoriness and spice that reins in the luxurious sweetness. Lovely.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Anonymous Robot posted:

I took a page from the Tokyo Old Fashioned at Bavette’s Steakhouse and made up some gum syrup with Okinawan kokuto sugar. Splitting that with allspice dram for a sweetener has resulted in the best old fashioned (or improved whiskey, if you want to get technical) I’ve personally ever made. I’m using Knob Creek 120 and not wasting Hibiki Harmony on it tho lol. It’s got a rich, thick texture and weight, along with a savoriness and spice that reins in the luxurious sweetness. Lovely.
What's the full spec on this?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
-2oz knob creek single barrel select
-1/4 oz 2:1 kokuto gum syrup
-1/4 oz allspice dram

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Wife made me a margarita tonight, very good. Lime juice was superb; I like it when it comes from the bottle that looks like a lime. :angel: Any suggestions on how to get the sugar to stick to the rim of the cup better?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Wife made me a margarita tonight, very good. Lime juice was superb; I like it when it comes from the bottle that looks like a lime. :angel: Any suggestions on how to get the sugar to stick to the rim of the cup better?

S.....sugar?

Nah whatever, you do you, but the typical method I've seen is to rub the lime (juice side) around the rim of the glass, sprinkle the salt or sugar on some kind of surface (plate, counter, napkin), and then roll the rim of the glass in it. In the absence of an actual sliced lime, just dab a little juice on your finger and rub the rim with that instead. (Or water, but juice is a tad stickier.)

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Sugar is a nontraditional rim for a margarita but whatever. It sticks less well than salt, so the best way is to sugar the glass and then freeze it. I used to do that for sidecars and crustas before I got too lazy.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Wouldn't some simple syrup probably be a suitable rim prep rather than lime juice in this case?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

if you particularly enjoyed the lime juice I very much recommend squeezing out a fresh lime next time, it's really a massive improvement, I think most people ITT will agree

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Thanks for the tips! She's been making them with this and bottled lime juice and i think vodka? It's really good!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Doesn't that have like juice in it already? What's the spec on her drink? How much vodka to mixer to added like?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Extra lime from the bottle makes it sing.
I would do 2oz vodka, 1.5 margarita mix, and .5oz lime juice. Shake and dump and top with a .5oz or so of Grand Marnier. Squeeze a lime wedge and an orange wedge in.

For the rim: Make a mixture of 3:2 sugar:cinnamon, with a pinch of salt. Soak the rim of your glass in lime juice. Squirt it on strategically. Either dip or sprinkle the rim mixture on. Enjoy

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Local seafood place is closed for renovations until May but I’ve been craving a drink on their bar menu. THE USUAL: Rittenhouse Rye, Amaro Nardini, Demerara, Scrappy’s Cardamom Bitters.

Problem is this - there’s no Nardini for sale anywhere locally. Any suggestions on a substitute? My home bar’s amari selection is limited to Fernet, Campari, and Aperol, plus their amaro-adjacent cousin Nocino.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Extra lime from the bottle makes it sing.
I would do 2oz vodka, 1.5 margarita mix, and .5oz lime juice. Shake and dump and top with a .5oz or so of Grand Marnier. Squeeze a lime wedge and an orange wedge in.
You mean tequila? Or are people making like daisys with vodka and calling them margaritas now?

If you’re going to use fresh lime I’m not even sure what the point of using the premix is. A margaritas already a three ingredient drink, why not just use triple sec?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pretty sure OP's a joke post so don't worry about it. In another thread they're currently trying to watch YouTube movie reviews while blind (until a few posts ago when they got healed)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

You mean tequila? Or are people making like daisys with vodka and calling them margaritas now?

If you’re going to use fresh lime I’m not even sure what the point of using the premix is. A margaritas already a three ingredient drink, why not just use triple sec?

Well of course she's using tequila. We're not barbarians. But i just learned about floaters so I'm really liking the extra oomph of the vodka.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

delicious delicious 3-month-expired sour mix :wtc:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

delicious delicious 3-month-expired sour mix :wtc:

Extra fermentation!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Boulevardier

1.5 oz Rittenhouse Rye
1 oz Campari
1 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
1 huge orange twist, expressed then skewered with my new cocktail picks

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Hell yeah, one of my favorites. What did you think?

Tonight I made a negroni and added a splash of tonka bean syrup. Extremely good stuff. Next time I make the syrup, I'll attempt to make it less sweet. The flavor is great, but the syrup is too sweet to add any more than 1/3 oz.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tonight I grabbed a bottle of velvet falernum, Barbancourt 3-star and El Dorado 5-year. Interested to see how the Barbancourt compares to the 5-star.

At some point I'm gonna have to say gently caress it and have a bottle each of the El Dorado 3, 5, 8, 12 and 15 years and do a live comparison :smith:

e: also I dunno what it is about them but Cruzan black strap and Hamilton 86 have become my holy grails, because I've checked every liquor store I encounter and can't find them anywhere

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 14, 2023

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Everytime I run out of rye I'll make a bourbon Manhattan. This is fine!, I'll say. Then when I next get a bottle of rye I realize what a fool in was. To me it is so much more fun with that rye spice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Carillon posted:

Everytime I run out of rye I'll make a bourbon Manhattan. This is fine!, I'll say. Then when I next get a bottle of rye I realize what a fool in was. To me it is so much more fun with that rye spice.

:hai:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Hell yeah, one of my favorites. What did you think?

Tonight I made a negroni and added a splash of tonka bean syrup. Extremely good stuff. Next time I make the syrup, I'll attempt to make it less sweet. The flavor is great, but the syrup is too sweet to add any more than 1/3 oz.

I've had one before, this one needed a big cube of clear ice - which I've got going in the freezer now. Great drink though, but I have to get a better bottle of vermouth because the Dolin is just meh in every drink I've used it in.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Carillon posted:

Have you considered just never buying bourbon and only buying rye instead? I have walked this path and it leads to enlightenment.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's a fine and noble path, but I will never renounce Wild Turkey 101.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

My hot take is that manhattans in general are just weak rear end drinks and that at the bare minimum anyone who enjoys them would be better served drinking a 4th regiment, after which they'll never have a manhattan again:

https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/fourth-regiment-cocktail/

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Fart Car '97 posted:

My hot take is that manhattans in general are just weak rear end drinks and that at the bare minimum anyone who enjoys them would be better served drinking a 4th regiment, after which they'll never have a manhattan again:

https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/fourth-regiment-cocktail/

The difference is a couple of dashes of different bitters. Literally that's it. Not to mention it's 50:50, and every Manhattan I've ever had has been at least 2:1.

So I'll let others comment on what's weak or not.

I still stand by my Manhattan recipe:

2oz WT 101 Rye
1oz Cocchi Torino vermouth
Bittercube Trinity bitters
Copper & King's brandied cherry

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like how the article is like "we think 1 and 1 aromatic/orange bitters is bad because the aromatic overpowers" and their solution is to just add 2x as much of a 3rd type of bitters

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The solution is add more bitters sounds like my kind of bartending.

Which is weird I guess, I cannot loving stand amaro of any kind but angostura as base spirit? Sign me up.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

The solution is add more bitters sounds like my kind of bartending.

i feel like this is how the trinidad sour was invented

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
The article may not be good but Fourth Regiments are great. Edit: the article is fine actually, it’s just quoting Baker from like the 30s.

In any case, you should all have the ingredients to try one, because Peychauds is key and celery bitters are super useful (martinis, bamboos, etc.).

Also, I’d walk that path and only keep rye around except, much like a Manhattan is much better with rye, I find an old fashioned much better with bourbon.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 14, 2023

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Scythe posted:

The article isn’t good but Fourth Regiments are great.

I’d only keep rye around except, much like a Manhattan is much better with rye, I find an old fashioned much better with bourbon.

agreed, but my rankings for OFs go rum > rye > bourbon

did it last night with the Barbancourt 3-star and it was :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You guys gotta start trying split bases. Do an OF with 1oz rum and 1oz rye. My wife likes 1oz rye and 1oz cognac.