Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Timby posted:

Oh, those ECW games on the PS1 were so, so dire. ECW bolted onto the broken-rear end WWF War Zone / Attitude engine.

In Hardcore Revolution they didn't even turn off count outs and DQs.

Anarchy Rulz came out during the 5th month window that Dusty Rhodes was in ECW, and they decided to heavily promote the fact that Dusty was in the game.

They were the absolute laziest games, and I don't blame Paul for not paying Acclaim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lid posted:

everyone remembers the Tito Ortiz but not enough people remember a few weeks later when Aces and Eights revealed the SECRET WEAPON to counter Tito Ortiz which i can not find the video for anymore it someone help me

I thought Tito was IN Not!Sons of Anarchy and Rampage Jackson was the counter.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dawgstar posted:

I thought Tito was IN Not!Sons of Anarchy and Rampage Jackson was the counter.

no no there was some other guy

unless it wasnt Tito Ortiz?

... maybe it was Stphan Bonnar?

It's hard remembering dumb TNA poo poo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
gently caress

it wasnt in TNA

it was in Bellator for a TNA angle for Tito Ortiz v Stephan Bonnar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkhHcCNe97M

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

syzpid posted:

In Hardcore Revolution they didn't even turn off count outs and DQs.

Anarchy Rulz came out during the 5th month window that Dusty Rhodes was in ECW, and they decided to heavily promote the fact that Dusty was in the game.

They were the absolute laziest games, and I don't blame Paul for not paying Acclaim.

I mean, Acclaim was poo poo in general, but I kind of get where they were coming from, because wrestling games were hot poo poo at the time and they were caught with their pants down when the WWF yanked its license and went with THQ. And since EA had the dying WCW license (lol Mayhem and Backstage Assault), all that was left was ECW.

But holy holy holy poo poo, did they put zero effort into those games, and they were somehow even more unplayable than Attitude (which was a broken-rear end piece of junk).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lid posted:

everyone remembers the Tito Ortiz but not enough people remember a few weeks later when Aces and Eights revealed the SECRET WEAPON to counter Tito Ortiz which i can not find the video for anymore it someone help me
They invented the test for HGH?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I mean it's not like they didnt book Goldberg in a title program at the end of 1999 where he crippled Bret Hart, got accused of being a stalker, couldnt figure out how to cross a city street, and then nearly cut his arm off breaking a car window.
You're mixing up a few different "Goldberg hosed out of the title" angles.

Goldberg's first world title reign ended when Scott Hall tasered him allowing Kevin Nash to win the belt and break the streak. Two weeks later when Goldberg was supposed to get his rematch, he was falsely accused of sexual assault by Miss Elizabeth, taken into the police station across the street, freed within 90 minutes when the police figured out Miss Elizabeth was lying, but couldn't get back to the arena in time to stop the Fingerpoke of Doom and the formation of the NWO Wolfpac Elite. That was all in early 1999.

In late 1999, the NWO 2000 formed when they all hosed Goldberg out a world title rematch the night after he lost a title match against Bret Hart via Montreal Screwjob. Bret Hart got severely concussed in the PPV match, but wrestled again the next night, and wrestled a hardcore match against Terry Funk the week after that. Meanwhile Goldberg shoot punched out a window and shoot hosed up his arm and was out for six months. The NWO 2000 collapsed by the time he came back, so they just turned him heel for awhile, then had him lose a match a couple of months into a "win every match or you're fired" angle. Then the company died before they could book a return angle.

It's funny to look at how they booked PPVs for their #1 draw in the last two-ish years of the company's existence:

Souled Out 1999: Goldberg beats Scott Hall in a Ladder Stun Gun match. Gets attacked by Bam Bam Bigelow afterwards.
Superbrawl IX: Goldberg beats Bam Bam Bigelow
Uncensored 1999: Does not appear
Spring Stampede 1999: Goldberg beats Kevin Nash despite Lex Luger's interference
Slamboree 1999: Goldberg and Sting go to a no contest when Bret Hart interferes and destroys Goldberg with a chair.
Great American Bash 1999: Does not appear (filming a Universal Soldier sequel, explained by a different beating from the Steiners)
Bash at the Beach 1999: Does not appear (filming a Universal Soldier sequel)
Road Wild 1999: Goldberg beats Rick Steiner
Fall Brawl 1999: Goldberg beats DDP despite copious Bam Bam/Kanyon interference
Halloween Havoc 1999: Goldberg beats Sid Vicious for the US championship despite being beaten up by Hall and Nash. Goldberg also beats Sting for the WCW title, but Sting turns heel and beats up the referee, which invalidates the world title match and the belt is vacated the next night with a championship tournament kicking off. Goldberg also loses the US title in the first round of the tournament when Hall, Nash, and Vicious all interfere when a ref is knocked out.
WCW Mayhem: Goldberg bears Sid Vicious again in an "I Quit" match.
Starrcade 1999: Goldberg loses a world title match against Bret Hart when Roddy Piper declares himself referee and does a Montreal Screwjob on Goldberg.
Souled Out 1999: Does not appear (recovering from hand injury incurred when shoot punching out a window on live TV)
Superbrawl 2000: Does not appear
Uncensored 2000: Does not appear
Spring Stampede 2000: Does not appear
Slamboree 2000: Does not appear
Great American Bash 2000: Goldberg returns, turns heel by attacking Kevin Nash and allowing Jeff Jarrett to retain the WCW title
Bash at the Beach 2000: Goldberg defeats Kevin Nash in a "Scott Hall's WCW Contract" ladder match after Scott Steiner turns on Nash
New Blood Rising: Goldberg DOES NOT FOLLOW THE SCRIPT and refuses to be powerbombed by Kevin Nash and walks out of the match
Fall Brawl 2000: Scott Steiner beats Goldberg after Steiner hits him with a pipe but also Vince Russo attacks Goldberg with a bat too.
Halloween Havoc 2000: Goldberg beats Kronik in a handicap elimination match where if Goldberg loses, he will be fired. This was where Vince Russo told Goldberg that he'd have to match his original streak to get a WCW title shot, and if he lost he'd be fired.
Mayhem 2000: Goldberg must defend his New Streak/career against Lex Luger, which he does.
Starrcade 2000: Goldberg must defend his New Streak/career against Lex Luger again in a NO DQ match, which he does even though Buff Bagwell turns on him, waits for him to beat Luger, then attacks him some more.
WCW Sin: Goldberg and his trainer DeWayne Bruce face off against Luger/Bagwell in a tag match. A plant fan sprays Goldberg in the face with mace, costing him the match, the streak, and his career.
Superbrawl Revenge: Does not appear
Greed: Does not appear
WCW ends

So to recap, he hosed around for six months, won the title only to have it vacated the next night, loses his next tile shot because of a Montreal Screwjob homage, injures himself and is on the shelf for six months, comes back only to turn heel, turns heel AGAIN in a worked shoot, and then is inserted into a "win 173 matches in a row in order to get another world title shot, lose again and you're fired" angle that sticks him in a feud with Vince Russo and his proxies Totally Buff, and he does in fact lose and get fired as a result of a midcard tag match that hinged on a random fan turning heel.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 12, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
He almost lost his arm in that accident.

Imagine if Goldberg had come back as the one-armed wrestler. lmao

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Animal-Mother posted:

He would have killed the undertaker for real instead of just almost killing him in that match

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Halloween Havoc 2000: Goldberg beats Kronik in a handicap elimination match where if Goldberg loses, he will be fired. This was where Vince Russo told Goldberg that he'd have to match his original streak to get a WCW title shot, and if he lost he'd be fired.
Mayhem 2000: Goldberg must defend his New Streak/career against Lex Luger, which he does.
Starrcade 2000: Goldberg must defend his New Streak/career against Lex Luger again in a NO DQ match, which he does even though Buff Bagwell turns on him, waits for him to beat Luger, then attacks him some more.
WCW Sin: Goldberg and his trainer DeWayne Bruce face off against Luger/Bagwell in a tag match. A plant fan sprays Goldberg in the face with mace, costing him the match, the streak, and his career.
Superbrawl Revenge: Does not appear
Greed: Does not appear
WCW ends

So to recap, he hosed around for six months, won the title only to have it vacated the next night, loses his next tile shot because of a Montreal Screwjob homage, injures himself and is on the shelf for six months, comes back only to turn heel, turns heel AGAIN in a worked shoot, and then is inserted into a "win 173 matches in a row in order to get another world title shot, lose again and you're fired" angle that sticks him in a feud with Vince Russo and his proxies Totally Buff, and he does in fact lose and get fired as a result of a midcard tag match that hinged on a random fan turning heel.

You also left out of this the fact that when Russo was given the boot (more specifically he was off TV due to a concussion), whoever was in charge at the time onscreen (Flair?) said something to the effect of "forget about the streak thing"...and yet they kept doing it. Even though the authority figure who initially decreed it was no longer on TV.

And also the crowd barely gave a drat about Goldberg being "fired". Really if he needed time off for his shoulder they could've done an injury angle but for some reason they were committed to the 2nd Streak idea.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Angry_Ed posted:

You also left out of this the fact that when Russo was given the boot (more specifically he was off TV due to a concussion), whoever was in charge at the time onscreen (Flair?) said something to the effect of "forget about the streak thing"...and yet they kept doing it. Even though the authority figure who initially decreed it was no longer on TV.

And also the crowd barely gave a drat about Goldberg being "fired". Really if he needed time off for his shoulder they could've done an injury angle but for some reason they were committed to the 2nd Streak idea.

I don't think he needed time off they were just getting all the big stars off TV to redebut them on The Big Bang.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I lied

The other late stage WCW thing I remember was when BattleDome invaded which is good for that It means Terry Crews was in WCW for a cup of coffee.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

I was wondering if Goldberg ever was in a tag match, since that idea felt a bit odd. Good to know it was an over-booked pile of shite.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

im gonna come out and say it. i dont think the reverse streak is bad just wcw hosed it up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Sid's streak was an extremely good idea

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Sid is extremely good .

:hmmyes:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also liked that angle where Goldberg can't touch Sid until the PPV and Goldberg is doing his walk out and half way through Sid is like "GOLDBERG HEY GOLDBERG" and you can clearly see Goldberg start to laugh.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Animal-Mother posted:

He and Zach Gowen could have been a great team.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I thought Goldberg flat out refused to take place in the angle if it was for sexual assault so they had to change it to aggravated stalking or something

Animal-Mother posted:

They cut away almost instantly but you could still see the blood just absolutely gushing out of his arm ugh

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 13, 2023

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Goldberg jackhammering people with one arm...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Holy poo poo there was an angle where Jim Cornette hurt baby doll so dusty rhodes and magnum ta dressed up in cowboy gear with lynching masks and tried to hang jim?
What the gently caress lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I thought that the culprit was The Midnight Rider.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wtf is a lynching mask

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wtf is a lynching mask

Klan hood

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

haljordan posted:

I thought Goldberg flat out refused to take place in the angle if it was for sexual assault so they had to change it to aggravated stalking or something

They cut away almost instantly but you could still see the blood just absolutely gushing out of his arm ugh

That's how I've always heard it, regarding the stalking.

After he cuts his hand on the window he pounds the hood and blood just splatters all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9hctehAHKA

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 14, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought that the culprit was The Midnight Rider.

They are supposed to be the "James brothers"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Goldberg is the best to ever do it.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJvt9fnLX_E

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
There isn't a lot of tv show "NWA/WCW Pro Wrestling" available from 1986 is there?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

MrBling posted:

He worked basically all over the world with and against King Curtis Iaukea because they both knew they could get paid no matter where they went.

Holy poo poo, there was a King Iaukea? So Prince Iaukea wasn't just a weird Rocky Maivia knock-off?

Whoa, this guy was the Master in the Dungeon of Doom?!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Torrent posted:

Holy poo poo, there was a King Iaukea? So Prince Iaukea wasn't just a weird Rocky Maivia knock-off?

Iaukea was no relation but he debuted on Nitro before Rock became a TV character in the WWF. But there was a weird kind of game of chicken in 97 on who was going to overexpose their guy worse as champion.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I want this shirt. It is so good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Thought that was Horace for a second.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Suplex Liberace posted:

we should have a ecw nostalgia thread to complement this one

Few pages back, but hell yeah.
I never got into ECW as a kid/teen but had a close friend who's brother loved the poo poo out of it. But yeah, I'd be super fascinated to see a deep dive history thread or something on ECW that's even a fraction as comprehensive as this thread in its early days was, before it became the excellent but different 'general WCW nostalgia and chat' thread.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Torrent posted:

Prince Iaukea was named by Kevin Sullivan (who was in and around the booking in WCW at the time) because I guess he liked the guy and felt like he reminded him of his old friend King Curtis.

Sullivan and Curtis has been working together since the early 80s in Florida and other places. I'm assuming its also why he was brought in to be The Master in WCW for the Dungeon of Doom.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Prince Iaukea was poo poo.

The Artist Formerly Known as Prince Iaukea however ... was also poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

haljordan posted:

They did but Hogan still went out to the ring to call him a sexual deviant.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

BrigadierSensible posted:

Prince Iaukea was poo poo.

The Artist Formerly Known as Prince Iaukea however ... was also poo poo.

as a kid i was a mark for Price Iaukea just in his early nitro jobber matches where he'd sometimes win with the bridging german suplex which was one of my favourite moves

i had no idea he was unrelated to King Curtis I thought he was just a legacy hire of another wrestling child failson that the 90s seemed to pump out with tremendous speed

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Mike Haynor and Dwayne Johnson both started with their respective companies at nearly the same time, debuting on house show/dark matches under their given names in the spring of 1996.

"Prince Iaukea" debuted on TV earlier, in May 1996 but was generally a jobber until he had a "shocking" upset for the TV title against William Regal on Nitro on February 17, 1997. Before that he had victories over The Gambler, Manny Fernandez, The Colorado Crusader, Adrian Bird, and Doc Dean, but had lots on TV to Kevin Sullivan, The Giant, Public Enemy, DDP, Chavo, Chris Jericho, Faces of Fear, and Hugh Morrus (many of them repeatedly) and was 4-18.

"Rocky Maivia" meanwhile didn't debut until November 1996 but debuted on PPV and was the sole survivor of his babyface team, overcoming the odds and pinning Crush and Goldust to win. He beat the British Bulldog, Fake Razor, and Hunter Hearst Helmsley in short order and won the Intercontinental title off HHH on a special Thursday Raw on February 13, 1997.

It's probably a coincidence and I can find no evidence that Prince Iaukea winning a title four days after Rocky was in any way inspired by the latter, but it's easy to draw parallels and like MRT said they both stick out as overexposed/overpushed title reigns (Prince dropped the TV title to Ultimo Dragon on April 7th, Rocky dropped the IC to Owen on April 28th).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Edge & Christian posted:

Mike Haynor and Dwayne Johnson both started with their respective companies at nearly the same time, debuting on house show/dark matches under their given names in the spring of 1996.

"Prince Iaukea" debuted on TV earlier, in May 1996 but was generally a jobber until he had a "shocking" upset for the TV title against William Regal on Nitro on February 17, 1997. Before that he had victories over The Gambler, Manny Fernandez, The Colorado Crusader, Adrian Bird, and Doc Dean, but had lots on TV to Kevin Sullivan, The Giant, Public Enemy, DDP, Chavo, Chris Jericho, Faces of Fear, and Hugh Morrus (many of them repeatedly) and was 4-18.

"Rocky Maivia" meanwhile didn't debut until November 1996 but debuted on PPV and was the sole survivor of his babyface team, overcoming the odds and pinning Crush and Goldust to win. He beat the British Bulldog, Fake Razor, and Hunter Hearst Helmsley in short order and won the Intercontinental title off HHH on a special Thursday Raw on February 13, 1997.

It's probably a coincidence and I can find no evidence that Prince Iaukea winning a title four days after Rocky was in any way inspired by the latter, but it's easy to draw parallels and like MRT said they both stick out as overexposed/overpushed title reigns (Prince dropped the TV title to Ultimo Dragon on April 7th, Rocky dropped the IC to Owen on April 28th).

I think the distinction between the two at the time would be that the TV Title, while prominently featured, wasn't considered a big deal in 1997 by any stretch of the imagination, while people saw the IC Title (since it was the secondary title) as a much bigger deal, so people were way quicker to turn on Rocky. As opposed to the apathy I'm seeing for Iaukea right now doing a re-watch of Nitro.