Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Allarion posted:

Apparently Althyk and Nymeia is also actually a DPS check in general where if the alliance does take too much time, Althyk will instantly wipe the raid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUEY219SkxY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The timer for that fight is a bit deceptive, after it expires they take a good 20-30 seconds to actually cast the wipe spell. I feel like Althyk's time acceleration gimmick was supposed to also effect the buff timer. The effect was pretty cool too, shame nobody is ever going to see it again after this week.

My group hit the enrage and it required 2/3 of our groups to be down for a majority of the fight, and we still got them down to ~5% before the cast finished. Pretty sure a good chunk of us were intentionally slowing dps just to see what happened too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

We'll be able to tell if 6.4 or 6.5 makes Eden required for MSQ so Gaia and Ryne can come back.

I can't see them ever making a normal raid a requirement for MSQ

Likewise I have zero expectations of ever seeing Gaia again if she didn't even get a cameo in Endwalker, the most cameo-rear end expansion imaginable

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I can't see them ever making a normal raid a requirement for MSQ

Before Shadowbringers, I imagine most would have said the same about Alliance Raids.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DanielCross posted:

Before Shadowbringers, I imagine most would have said the same about Alliance Raids.

The big difference is Alliance raids are incredibly easy to get carried through while bad players are absolutely going to bash their heads up against stuff like Titan and Shiva

I think it's more likely we just don't see Gaia again outside of maybe a "hey this character exists' cameo if you completed Eden somewhere down the line

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

The big difference is Alliance raids are incredibly easy to get carried through while bad players are absolutely going to bash their heads up against stuff like Titan and Shiva

I think it's more likely we just don't see Gaia again outside of maybe a "hey this character exists' cameo if you completed Eden somewhere down the line

Except Yoshi-P specifically brought up back in October that they're not done with Gaia yet

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1578974824869036032?lang=en

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In that case it's probably going to be an Void Quest/Omega-style follow up to Eden if you've done it

Still more than likely not gonna be an MSQ thing.

e: to be clear this is not me making GBS threads on Gaia, she's great, I'm just being realistic about what I think they're willing to do when it comes to MSQ stuff

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Alxprit posted:

if the mechanics are so easy then why did I die a lot

Some of them have really sneaky timing. In the Althyk fight, there's a point where he starts casting Inexorable Pull during a spread mechanic, so if you preposition in the dark lines the spread mechanic will kill you (since the lines also apply a magic vuln debuff). In Menphina's fight, one of the later big single-moon Full Bright casts has a double-cleave cast that starts a bit after the moon starts waxing, so if you run to dodge the moon AoE early there's a good chance you'll get stuck on the wrong side and take damage from a cleave.

That said, I agree with the opinions that Euphrosyne feels a little flat compared to Aglaia. I've been chewing over why this might be, and I think one element is how none of the fights have much actual boss movement outside of invincibility phases and when they reposition to center. Contrast with Aglaia, where every boss moves (Byregot to close out the shifting platforms phase, Nald'thal during the knockback phase) and/or players are forced to move it (Azeyma during Solar Flare and Noble Dawn, Rhalgr at various times) at least once. During Euphrosyne, except for periodic glances at the sides of the arena to check for visual cues, I felt like I was focused on one spot from start to finish.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The dungeon had the best sets of mechanics this patch it felt like to me

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Menphina is better.

Sorry I simply don’t believe someone can actually think this

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Blockhouse posted:

In that case it's probably going to be an Void Quest/Omega-style follow up to Eden if you've done it

Still more than likely not gonna be an MSQ thing.

e: to be clear this is not me making GBS threads on Gaia, she's great, I'm just being realistic about what I think they're willing to do when it comes to MSQ stuff

Yeah, she wasn't even in that scene with Ryne in Endwalker, and that's a simple flag and 'hi there wol!' dialogue. In the expac of 'hey remember this person from side content' flags it felt odd.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mostly felt like every fight in Euphrosyne except Halone was meant to have an additional phase where the mechanics they introduced got more complicated, but it never got there.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I did blind full 24 runs of both Aglaia and Euphrosyne and the latter felt very much easier. We had a few deaths but we 1 pulled every single boss, something that we didn’t get in Aglaia with Rhalgr and Thal giving us wipes. Aglaia fights were much more chaotic as well, in terms of feel. The only bear wipe we had in Wuphrosyne was Halone. I really enjoyed the first two bosses, since they had novel mechanism, but Halone and Menphina were just variation on cleaves and aoes and I felt quite disappointed by the end of the fight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For me the first two fights of Aglaia were great but while Nald'Thal was fun the first time I just found them annoying on repeats, particularly because one person can wipe the group, and fan-lady was simple.

For Euphrosyne the last two fights feel great to me stylistically even if they're not exactly complicated. The siblings has just enough going on to trip you up with the gunk on the ground while you're managing something else. Nophica feels lacking, but things do start getting more complex at around the time she dies with forced movement timers you need to watch in the middle of a chain of attacks.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Bruceski posted:

For me the first two fights of Aglaia were great but while Nald'Thal was fun the first time I just found them annoying on repeats, particularly because one person can wipe the group, and fan-lady was simple.

The wildest poo poo to me so far is that I've done probably around 30 Aglaia's and never once have been trolled on nald'thal.

Also our only wipe in Euphrosyne came during althyk and even then, it wasn't because of mechanics. Whoever was tanking Nymeia died and the other tank was asleep at the wheel entirely so we slowly wiped to nymeia killing all the healers unceremoniously while people yelled in alliance chat.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The servers had a lag spike during the triple knockback attack and only two players survived.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was doing P1T6 Unreal when someone lagged out and ate an Aero 3. They eventually regained control and started fighting again but about 5 seconds later they got obliterated by a knockback that happened 20 seconds ago.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The Eden raid series has a decent chance of being made mandatory, but god I hope if they do that they update normal raid roulette rewards to increase its appeal cause by every reward metric it suuuuuucks to run.

make a rival wings daily challenge queue while they're at it too please

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think Gaia will be involved in the MSQ as much as Cylva and Unukalhai are. When the Void story was starting up in 6.1 a lot of people were wondering how they would even write something that makes sense when those two are only in optional content, and the answer turned out to be “very easily”.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vitamean posted:

The Eden raid series has a decent chance of being made mandatory, but god I hope if they do that they update normal raid roulette rewards to increase its appeal cause by every reward metric it suuuuuucks to run.

make a rival wings daily challenge queue while they're at it too please
If it ever becomes mandatory for anything there's a zero percent chance they do that. They sure didn't for omega.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The thought of randomly being paired off with people forced to do E12N fills me with despair.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

If it ever becomes mandatory for anything there's a zero percent chance they do that. They sure didn't for omega.

Omega isn't mandatory for anything? Outside of a sidequest that just serves as an epilogue for it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Omega isn't mandatory for anything? Outside of a sidequest that just serves as an epilogue for it.

Yeah that's what I'm referring to, since that's likely the only format Eden being mandatory would be in as well

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Vitamean posted:

If we could also cut E12 in half length-wise, that would be great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

If we could also cut E12 in half length-wise, that would be great.

New mechanic: you can skip the middle phase if you can recite the entire script for it word-for-word.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Cleretic posted:

New mechanic: you can skip the middle phase if you can recite the entire script for it word-for-word.

I never had to grind the normal mode all that much, but I have the Savage version seared into my brain. Both parts.

JOINED AS ONE

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hopefully the actual answer is the game prevents you from continuing past 6.55 until you've finished every casual raid.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
The patch in general felt a little low-effort to me - the MSQ seemed a bit more compressed than normal, too, and the dungeon was low on new art assets compared to the last two.

I'd assume that some resources are probably being funneled into FFXVI, since it's coming out pretty soon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know why you would assume that. Art asset work on XVI has almost certainly been done for a while.

Like if the art team is busy with anything right now it's gonna be 7.0

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 14, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think this patch being underwhelming is less to do with any asset stuff, and more to do with the fact it's the weirdest point as far as this patch story goes. Usually a patch story is able to up the stakes, escalate and find new weird poo poo every time because it doesn't have to spend as much time with worldbuilding or character introductions, but with this line basically being a standalone story means this patch is basically the equivalent of, like, Yanxia in Stormblood or Amh Araeng in Shadowbringers; nothing surprising or earth-shaking, just perfectly serviceable plot progression where the things we expect to happen play out.

That's fine as far as the plot goes when it's there, but waiting four months for 'and then everything went more or less as planned' is a little underwhelming.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As good as Dedicated to Moonlight is, it is extremely hosed up that anyone thinks it's better than In The Balance.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

SirSamVimes posted:

As good as Dedicated to Moonlight is, it is extremely hosed up that anyone thinks it's better than In The Balance.

These and Scream have all been absolute bangers

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In The Balance is truly insane, A++++

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/saku_FF11/status/1613877593341825037?t=QEe_oFkdMwZ7km35I3opag&s=19

Daawww

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think In The Balance is better too, but Dedicated To Moonlight is a classic instance of 'Soken goes so hard into a specific genre we can absolutely respect taste differences'.

I'm not sure what genre In The Balance even is, but Dedicated To Moonlight is such a top-tier shojo anime OP that I can totally understand picking it above all others.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

In typical expansions this would be the climax of the Epilogue and end laying the groundwork for building into the next expansion. That's why it feels like something's missing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah this is a middle chapter and suffers a bit as a result. It's just unusual because historically the .3 patch has been a final chapter, not a middle one.

I'm perfectly satisfied with what it's set up and 6.4 should be very exciting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah this patch is basically an x.2

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah this patch is basically an x.2

I mean even those patches tend to have more going on in terms of 'new things that change the status quo'. 3.2 had the lore bomb of the Antitower and the spectacle of that Raubahn fight. 4.2 had the Asahi intro, which at least to me felt like a lot but was definitely the downbeat one of that run (in retrospect, Stormblood's patch MSQs went hard. And 5.2 had Anamnesis Anyder, which if anything might've been too much albeit in a way entirely out of their control; we were REALLY not supposed to be sitting and speculating for six months on that one.

...and now I'm kinda wondering if the anti-Venat crew would be quite as bad if they hadn't been sitting and staring at that Anamnesis scene for half a year, twisting and turning it around for more information than was actually there and convincing themselves it held more weight than it was ever supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

I think In The Balance is better too, but Dedicated To Moonlight is a classic instance of 'Soken goes so hard into a specific genre we can absolutely respect taste differences'.

I'm not sure what genre In The Balance even is, but Dedicated To Moonlight is such a top-tier shojo anime OP that I can totally understand picking it above all others.

In the Balance is a hymn, I can imagine Ul'dahn people parading and singing it in the streets.