Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

sharknado slashfic posted:

Desperately trying to think of something that rhymes with "board man gets paid"

Thomas Kinkade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Orange Marmalade

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nervous posted:

Orange Marmalade

Russ's new nickname?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bored man gets laid

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

JT Jag posted:

I really don't get where replacing Urban Meyer is a point against him, Pederson had to totally rebuild the team's culture in a way none of the other Coach of the Year candidates did

Really. You think Joe Judge instilled the NYG with a winning culture?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol I meant specific to Lamar but thank you everyone

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Joe Judge and Jason Garrett. Under GM Dave Gettleman.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I will concede that Daboll is the best alternative to Pederson, but I think people forget quite how rancid the Jaguars locker room was last year

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grittybeard posted:

Russ's new nickname?

Sounds spicy

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm glad that Lamar is faking an injury, quit on his team, is sitting out Sunday, and that the Bengals win in 4

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hypothetically if the Bengals win the super bowl, and the last time they lose a football game is October 31st, I will be super insufferable for like 8 months. Possibly forever.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Hypothetically if the Bengals win the super bowl, and the last time they lose a football game is October 31st, I will be super insufferable for like 8 months. Possibly forever.
Who loving dey

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Eifert Posting posted:

What if they lose Sunday

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

a neat cape posted:

What if they lose Sunday

Bengnos!!!!!!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Kawalimus posted:

Offered him 250 million with 133 guaranteed. He declined then he said he wouldn't negotiate during the season and has held to that.

That does seem a bit low in the "post-Watson era"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

What if they lose Sunday

They wouldn't, but variance.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Eifert Posting posted:

If they win the Super Bowl I win $350 in my randomly-drawn-team 0-33 league.

Go Bengos

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I don't know, I think the Lamar thing is weird.

It starts as just an injury that's going to keep him out for a couple weeks and now Harbaugh is weird and testy and cryptic about it when talking to the media. Then Lamar makes a Twitter thread about his injury. Now Watkins is suggesting that Jackson is healthy enough to play but won't put himself at risk until he has a contract.

Watkins believes in some weird poo poo but I doubt he's only the one in the building with that Jackson take. (And if true, I of course wouldn't blame Lamar one bit.)

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
My guess is team doctors told Lamar/Harbaugh that his injury was minor and he should be back for the regular season finale. Lamar got a second opinion from his personal doctor and the prognosis was to rest more since it was more severe. FO and Lamar don't want to make a fuss since contract talks are looming. Harbaugh is vague as he was left out to dry since he would have to choose a narrative - Lamar can play or organization is rushing his rehab.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fsif posted:

(And if true, I of course wouldn't blame Lamar one bit.)

Normally I'd agree with this but if the guy won't negotiate in-season and then won't play because he's hurt and then if he's not-hurt I mean...

but also I will stop there because I don't like Lamar Jackson to begin with

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don't like Lamar either, but this is the second franchise QB in a row the team has been extremely hesitant in wanting to pay without getting at least a ring from first, and if Flacco hadn't had the greatest playoff run ever he wouldn't have gotten it in the first place

It's fair at this point to say the team does bullshit hurdles he shouldn't have to jump through and somewhere else would gladly pay him without anywhere near as much hesitation (if/when that deal goes awry we can definitely still laugh but that he should be paid is hard to doubt)

Someone's going to excuse it by bringing up "they can still tag!!!", which is for losers and has already been proven ineffective to the long-term issue (see Washington with Cousins; when you clearly don't want to extend someone long-term/pay the man but don't want anyone else to have him yet either and make it blatantly obvious)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

a neat cape posted:

What if they lose Sunday

The Bengals losing a wild card game? Inconceivable!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Wild cat Benagals

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the dumbest gamble you can possibly make is that no one else is going to want to pay a capable starting quarterback more than you want to pay them.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lol I meant specific to Lamar but thank you everyone

Scored, ran, shits made

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Honestly my gut feeling is Lamar is gone after the season. I've seen enough college basketball to be familiar with the "18 year old kid with parents, handlers, random uncles etc in their ear" being a headache for the coach and team. Lamar comes across as a likeable, fun, but immature and not incredibly bright guy who makes many poor decisions off the field (and sometimes on).

And frankly based on his up and down performance, playoff stats, and mysterious illnesses/injuries he doesn't deserve to be the highest paid quarterback in the league. Neither does Watson but that's a different story. Lamar is great when he's on, but when he's not he's not. That 2019 year is doing a lot of heavy lifting, and for every poop game comeback you get something like 2 years agos Dolphins game.

That said

They tried to half assedly fix the wide receiver situation who then promptly all get injured because they refuse to fire the pro-COVID guy, and draft a bunch of tight ends that they don't use or also get injured (or both), and beyond that no one can tell if Lamar is a high ceiling low floor guy or high ceiling high floor worth the mega contract because the idiots decided to stick with the clown offensive coordinator.

Basically the team has mismanaged the entire situation -based on publicly available information- if they want him to stay here -unless- they're going to meet his salary demands. Roquan Smith represented himself, presumably without his mom and Kodak Black advising him, and became the highest paid ILB in like 2 months, so it's possible in theory to get it done.

Tldr fire Greg Roman

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 14, 2023

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't like Lamar either, but this is the second franchise QB in a row the team has been extremely hesitant in wanting to pay without getting at least a ring from first, and if Flacco hadn't had the greatest playoff run ever he wouldn't have gotten it in the first place

It's fair at this point to say the team does bullshit hurdles he shouldn't have to jump through and somewhere else would gladly pay him without anywhere near as much hesitation (if/when that deal goes awry we can definitely still laugh but that he should be paid is hard to doubt)

Someone's going to excuse it by bringing up "they can still tag!!!", which is for losers and has already been proven ineffective to the long-term issue (see Washington with Cousins; when you clearly don't want to extend someone long-term/pay the man but don't want anyone else to have him yet either and make it blatantly obvious)

He was teammates with RG3 for years. The patron saint of rushing back from a knee injury only to destroy your career.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This masterpiece is my fault:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This masterpiece is my fault:

:purfect:

Nervous fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 14, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lmfao

Whatever is on Geno's shoulder should read "MVP"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Honestly my gut feeling is Lamar is gone after the season. I've seen enough college basketball to be familiar with the "18 year old kid with parents, handlers, random uncles etc in their ear" being a headache for the coach and team. Lamar comes across as a likeable, fun, but immature and not incredibly bright guy who makes many poor decisions off the field (and sometimes on).

And frankly based on his up and down performance, playoff stats, and mysterious illnesses/injuries he doesn't deserve to be the highest paid quarterback in the league. Neither does Watson but that's a different story. Lamar is great when he's on, but when he's not he's not. That 2019 year is doing a lot of heavy lifting, and for every poop game comeback you get something like 2 years agos Dolphins game.

That said

They tried to half assedly fix the wide receiver situation who then promptly all get injured because they refuse to fire the pro-COVID guy, and draft a bunch of tight ends that they don't use or also get injured (or both), and beyond that no one can tell if Lamar is a high ceiling low floor guy or high ceiling high floor worth the mega contract because the idiots decided to stick with the clown offensive coordinator.

Basically the team has mismanaged the entire situation -based on publicly available information- if they want him to stay here -unless- they're going to meet his salary demands. Roquan Smith represented himself, presumably without his mom and Kodak Black advising him, and became the highest paid ILB in like 2 months, so it's possible in theory to get it done.

Tldr fire Greg Roman

To be fair to Lamar and his performance/s though. His poorish seasons have been 2021 and 2022. His offensive supporting cast has been a casualty ward, the offensive line has been up and down like a loving yo-yo and his offensive coordinator has been phoning it in.

I wouldn't blame him if he was sitting back thinking, my knee doesn't feel 100%. Ive seen other players just get ground into dust and given no support because the team knows they're good enough, why would I sign here until I'm given at least a handshake promise that the teams going to do right by me?

I know the Panthers for example aren't a perfect team but right now they've got a better offensive line, a better receiver group and they will 100% pay as much as a the Ravens for him to come play there. The guy would have rocks in his head to suit up and play for this team. Yeah - make the playoffs and anything can happen, but not for the Ravens. They don't have a running back you can point to that's both healthy and effective and you can't point to a single receiver that would start on another team and the offensive line has not been good.

I still think that his first three years in the league are a better showing of what he can do than the last two have been and I think if he wanted to be in Baltimore he would have already signed and would be braced, needled and suited up to play this weekend.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If we are in a situation where Lamar could play, but is choosing not to because he doesn't want to reaggeavate his injury and he just doesn't care if that ends the Ravens' season, then, well, he's right to do it.

The Ravens have had a whole lot of time to not lowball him and build a real offense around him. If they go down like punks on Sunday and Lamar scoots off to the Jets or whatever, then they have nobody to blame but themselves. It's not on him to turn himself into RG3 2.0 so Harbaugh and Roman can keep their jobs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MJeff posted:

If we are in a situation where Lamar could play, but is choosing not to because he doesn't want to reaggeavate his injury and he just doesn't care if that ends the Ravens' season, then, well, he's right to do it.

The Ravens have had a whole lot of time to not lowball him and build a real offense around him. If they go down like punks on Sunday and Lamar scoots off to the Jets or whatever, then they have nobody to blame but themselves. It's not on him to turn himself into RG3 2.0 so Harbaugh and Roman can keep their jobs.

I mean surely the Ravens are going to franchise Lamar if they continue to insist on not just signing him long term for whatever the gently caress reason? He isn’t going to “scoot off” to anywhere unless they let him.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

On one hand, the Ravens haven’t exactly given Lamar a lot of help on the offense between Roman and the dozen geriatrics they’ve signed as WR. On the other, he has had an apparent season-ending injury the last 3 seasons (though 2020 was a concussion sustained in the 3rd quarter of a playoff loss). The whole situation is about as clear as milk and figuring out what the right move is for the Ravens is basically impossible. It seems like even odds at this point that he winds up a Pat or something and wins 4 SBs vs collapsing into dust the minute he gets his 250 guaranteed.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There's a difference between a franchise tag because you want to get his rear end in camp while you work out a deal and a franchise tag where the player says go gently caress yaself and refuses to play or sign.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

What poor decisions off the field has he made? Being serious here, as of now I'd love for him to walk and the Giants sign him so Daboll can do actual, literal football magic.

Kawalimus has infected a lot of brains. I know he hasn't been as good as his MVP caliber recently but everyone seems to be trying to talk themselves out of giving him a deal

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Rogue Elephant posted:

What poor decisions off the field has he made? Being serious here, as of now I'd love for him to walk and the Giants sign him so Daboll can do actual, literal football magic.

Kawalimus has infected a lot of brains. I know he hasn't been as good as his MVP caliber recently but everyone seems to be trying to talk themselves out of giving him a deal

theres like two dumb ones, him filming himself going like 150? mph or whatever, and another of him uhh some jetski sort of poo poo? or some other beach crap? tripping over poo poo for no reason and nearly hurting himself. he's done some real r-word (ravens) stuff off field.

i dont know. i think the dude has an insanely high football iq, but i think everywhere else he's probably dumb as a sack of hammers.

i do not want him to leave baltimore, hes made our offense actually fun to watch for the first time since the franchise was established. as much as i like flacco, that dude was slightly above average at best, and then made it his personal mission to stink like poo poo after the superbowl. lamar has a higher ceiling and a higher floor. as long as he doesn't get injured again i guess. man i hate this poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

He also got covid 100 times, but the NFL doesn’t care about that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

He also got covid 100 times, but the NFL doesn’t care about that anymore.

it is hosed up that they didn't do anything after all those currently playing nfl dudes passed away from covid