Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Dawn Brigade being tier 1 when everyone else (except Jill for reasons) is at least tier 2 does a decent enough job at making them the scrappy underdogs on it's own IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Delphisage posted:

Whag do you normally do with Edward and Leonardo in Part 3? I already tend to use Edward over Zihark (Wrath is really good and saves durability compared with Adept), but Leonardo is just so bad.

Honestly Leonardo works if you resign to the fact that he’s a temporary unit. Master Seal him up for the instant stat boosts and utilize his exclusive access to bows (including the quite frankly ridiculous Lughnasadh) for chip and a unique application of Beastfoe where he can obliterate an enemy and then use his lack of 1 range to plug a hole and not face 10,000 tigers on enemy phase. It’s not like secretly top tier tech but it’s unique, workable and requires very little investment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dawn Brigade should've had a cutscene where it's them fighting 6 on 1 against the first boss and barely winning

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Endorph posted:

I mean like other people have said the dawn brigade isn't really that. Edward is fine, Nolan is really good, Sothe is Sothe, Volug is an okay jeigan laguz even if hes constrained by being a laguz, Aran joins a touch underleveled but can carry his weight on normal (JP hard), Tauroneo and the gang are all very good. Leonardo is bad, Ilyana is mediocre, and Fiona and Meg are useless, but it's not like the Dawn Brigade are literally useless garbage that cannot play the game.

The dawn brigade are kind of scrappy underdogs, so they have to lean on whatever advantages they can get. Sometimes that's Volug, sometimes that's Sothe, sometimes that's Nailah, sometimes that's the Black Knight. Sometimes that's rocks, sometimes that's the 3-13 archer, sometimes that's the swamp. It's the best game design in the series.

3-13 is probably the best map in the franchise honestly

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

RuBisCO posted:

Heads up: The game is leaking either now or very soon. There are shots of the special edition art book out with some characters completely unseen in previews.

Good, let the leaks flow. Maybe there's something buried in this game to make it worth getting.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ROFL Octopus posted:

Honestly Leonardo works if you resign to the fact that he’s a temporary unit. Master Seal him up for the instant stat boosts and utilize his exclusive access to bows (including the quite frankly ridiculous Lughnasadh) for chip and a unique application of Beastfoe where he can obliterate an enemy and then use his lack of 1 range to plug a hole and not face 10,000 tigers on enemy phase. It’s not like secretly top tier tech but it’s unique, workable and requires very little investment.

I'm aware that every Daein unit except Jill with transfer bonuses ends up temporary, it's FE10. But promotion bonuses aren't enough to fix his terrible HP and defense that mean he dies if any enemy manages to get in range of him. That's something only Battle Save abuse is gonna fix.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

Good, let the leaks flow. Maybe there's something buried in this game to make it worth getting.

That’d be everything they’ve shown so far

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Eimi, genuinely what is wrong with your brain

Literally most normal people would just go "not for me" and move on but you are going ex-crazy here

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
You can put a hat on the dog

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

ROFL Octopus posted:

That’d be everything they’ve shown so far

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they already showed rosado op

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I think it's very cute that they decided to blend the cute dancer girl and the token long hair male myrm into one unit

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I think it's very cute that they decided to blend the cute dancer girl and the token long hair male myrm into one unit

:yeah:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

Eimi, genuinely what is wrong with your brain

Literally most normal people would just go "not for me" and move on but you are going ex-crazy here

I mean yes in general, I'm bad at saying not for me when it's connected to something I like. And the gameplay does look good. And you know just wanting to take part in the conversation. Again I'm a Star Trek fan and forced myself through two seasons of Picard, which is far worse than this game could ever be.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What did you get out of Sacred Stones (a game you listed in your top 5 FEs) that you don't think you will be getting in this game?

At least so much that you need to constantly be saying how much you hate everything about the previews of this videogame

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

3-13 is probably the best map in the franchise honestly

I kinda go back and forth on it. I don't really like Laguz as an enemy type, and I think it holds the map back a bit since they don't have ranged attacks. Though it is cool that you can end the map by killing Ike, and that doing so means that you have probably spent the entire Dawn Brigade parts of the game preparing for it.

I look forward to seeing 3-13 again in Engage, since I think it has been spotted in some trailers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its in the trailers but it seems like you start from ike's position. also the game doesn't have elevation mechanics.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

WrightOfWay posted:

I look forward to seeing 3-13 again in Engage, since I think it has been spotted in some trailers.

Is the archer there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the archer should be one of the engages frankly

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Endorph posted:

I mean like other people have said the dawn brigade isn't really that. Edward is fine, Nolan is really good, Sothe is Sothe, Volug is an okay jeigan laguz even if hes constrained by being a laguz, Aran joins a touch underleveled but can carry his weight on normal (JP hard), Tauroneo and the gang are all very good. Leonardo is bad, Ilyana is mediocre, and Fiona and Meg are useless, but it's not like the Dawn Brigade are literally useless garbage that cannot play the game.

The dawn brigade are kind of scrappy underdogs, so they have to lean on whatever advantages they can get. Sometimes that's Volug, sometimes that's Sothe, sometimes that's Nailah, sometimes that's the Black Knight. Sometimes that's rocks, sometimes that's the 3-13 archer, sometimes that's the swamp. It's the best game design in the series.

Oh god, I had forgotten about the 3-13 archer!

WrightOfWay posted:

I kinda go back and forth on it. I don't really like Laguz as an enemy type, and I think it holds the map back a bit since they don't have ranged attacks. Though it is cool that you can end the map by killing Ike, and that doing so means that you have probably spent the entire Dawn Brigade parts of the game preparing for it.

:getin:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wheres the tier list maker...

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What did you get out of Sacred Stones (a game you listed in your top 5 FEs) that you don't think you will be getting in this game?

At least so much that you need to constantly be saying how much you hate everything about the previews of this videogame

So the biggest thing I hate about this game are it's tone and character design. The GBA era is easily my favorite aesthetic style FE has had, and while FE8 had some great comedy moments (Were I not a holy woman) the tone felt serious, unlike the preview stuff I had, which is exaggerated instead of anything naturalistic. I mean it's a vibes based thing so even if the story is simple it's all in how it's presented.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I just don't want to go though the same headaches I did playing FE14 and Xenoblade 2, where I keep wanting to throw my game out a window while people tell me I'm at fault for not liking it. Can't I play a style of anime that doesn't feel pandering?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Honestly I think if everything about the advertising is screaming at you that it will be something that you'll hate, just don't play it. Why put yourself through that, and why put it on everyone else around you?

I just genuinely don't get it. If I'm hating some form of media, I just stop playing/watching/reading/whatever.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Eimi posted:

I mean yes in general, I'm bad at saying not for me when it's connected to something I like. And the gameplay does look good. And you know just wanting to take part in the conversation. Again I'm a Star Trek fan and forced myself through two seasons of Picard, which is far worse than this game could ever be.

Maybe Engage will be like Lower Decks and shockingly great despite its apparent aesthetic!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Because feeling excluded because of your dumb brain sucks.

Like that's pretty much it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Delphisage posted:

I just don't want to go though the same headaches I did playing FE14 and Xenoblade 2, where I keep wanting to throw my game out a window while people tell me I'm at fault for not liking it. Can't I play a style of anime that doesn't feel pandering?

youre at fault for not liking xenoblade 2. sorry.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Natural 20 posted:

Because feeling excluded because of your dumb brain sucks.

Like that's pretty much it.

Yeah, what you said. Thanks.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

As far as games I'd play again and enjoy, FE7, FE8, FE9, FE10, Awakening, 3H. I'd like to play some of the DS remakes but haven't gotten there yet. I won't play Fates or Conquest ever again, and FE6 was fine for what it was, but I won't play it again.

I've played through Ike & friends more than any other game by a large amount, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Delphisage posted:

just buy games you like, don't buy games you don't like, and don't read threads for games you don't intend to buy or play, imo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There is no inherent value in a franchise, especially a franchise where individual entries aren't directly connected and are wildly different in aesthetic and tone. You don't need to play something that doesn't interest or engage(ha) you just because it has "Fire Emblem" in the title in TYOOL 2023 where there are roughly ten trillion games available that fit every conceivable taste and vibe. It's like someone forcing themself to play FFXI because it's a Final Fantasy game even though they hate MMOs.

I get not wanting to feel excluded, but I'm not sure if it actually counts as being meaningfully included when your inputs to the conversation are uniformly variations on "I hate everything about the decisions that they made for this game, god, I hope I can force myself to pay Nintendo 60 dollars for the ability to play it". There's an entire constellation of communities for every video game under the sun to participate in, and the FE community will still exist when the next game comes out that is something you might like more.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I really enjoyed Three Houses back in 2019, enough to play all three routes over 150 hours, but something about the years 2020-2021-2022-2023 daisy-chaining life directly onto my nuts makes me super excited for Engage's bright and cheery world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if you do want to play a fire emblem game that aligns more with your tastes just play romhacks or something. again most of those are made by people who are into classic FE. their writing usually isnt very good but perhaps the same could be said for all religions (fire emblem games.)

im not saying this thread should be a criticism free zone. hell maybe ill play engage and think it sucks. but theres a pretty big difference between criticism and spending the entire time from announcement to a week till launch putting yourself on the cross because you dont like the aesthetics and what you assume the plot will be like.

to be quite blunt i dont care what personal crisis youre having because the new fire emblem has colors in it. i dont wanna read about it. sorry. if you have concerns about the tone or dont like the engages conceptually or wanna talk about what you do or dont like about the designs im all for those discussions but talking about how 'your dumb brain sucks' or how you're going to force yourself to play it even though you hate anime pandering or how you hate that this is FE for the next few years and how mad it will make you if you wind up liking it? thats stupid. knock it off.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's not like not buying the game will make the next fire emblem come any faster.

Delphisage posted:

Since all anime is pandering to someone, no.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

also btw whatever here are the two unrevealed characters (presumably) that were shown off in the artbook:

:siren:SPOILERS:siren:
https://imgur.com/a/3IoUBKr

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I'm mostly curious about the leaks since I'm on the fence and would like a bit more concrete stuff to really buy in, but I've come around quite a bit on the visual style mostly just on the back of the animation work being really good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

also btw whatever here are the two unrevealed characters (presumably) that were shown off in the artbook:

oh those are good but i also get why they didnt bother putting them in preview footage lol

incidentally those little stamp insignias by their art confirms them as playable characters, all the playable characters have those on their bio pages in the glossary

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

RuBisCO posted:

Buff old lady knight? :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
who exactly is the game supposedly pandering to that you're complaining about anyway? people who like busier character designs? people who like saturated colours? people who hated the monastery in 3h?