Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The preexisting Marvel deal that Universal has at Islands of Adventure probably complicates the addition on any large Marvel expansion. Note that Guardians is a Marvel property that explicitly is not involved in any of Islands of Adventure attractions unlike Spider Man, Hulk, quite a few X-Men etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Zikan posted:

The preexisting Marvel deal that Universal has at Islands of Adventure probably complicates the addition on any large Marvel expansion. Note that Guardians is a Marvel property that explicitly is not involved in any of Islands of Adventure attractions unlike Spider Man, Hulk, quite a few X-Men etc.

Lol yeah I just remembered that after I posted. That contract seems wild I’d imagine Disney will someday try to buy their way out of that or renegotiate it. Seems like a huge missed PR opportunity they’re just giving to their competitor.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Universal Orlando actually has two lands based on IPs that belong to Disney. Do you know the other?

The Simpsons

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Disappointing Pie posted:

The weirdest thing to me now is lack of cohesiveness with theming and very long term planning thought. Like Guardians in Epcot. You own marvel, at some point a marvel theme park or extension of Hollywood Studios makes total sense for your massive IP that lends itself very well to a huge set of rides. I’m amazed they didn’t future proof that final area some more. Maybe this was discussed ad nauseam in the past but some of those planning decisions really make me wonder what they’re thinking sometimes.
The thing that really confused me is why there isn't a way to get directly from Star Tours' exit to Batuu, because it seems like it'd be cool to get on the Starspeeder, and exit through the terminal giftshop into the land. On the other hand, this does leave space to resurrect the Great Muppets Movie Ride in the car-park behind it all someday though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Like Guardians in Epcot. You own marvel, at some point a marvel theme park or extension of Hollywood Studios makes total sense for your massive IP that lends itself very well to a huge set of rides. I’m amazed they didn’t future proof that final area some more.

Guardians is pretty futurre-proof. None of the characters or most related props appear physically. The entire coaster portion could easily be themed to some other space-related adventure. ("The Big Bang Coaster"???). The queue and building are generic enough to fit many roles with minimal effort.

I actually think the Guardians detract from the ride and it would be better without them anyway. It succeeds because it's a really fun coaster with cool effects, nothing to do with the Guardians themselves. Thematic-wise, it kind of fails as both a proper Guardians attraction and an Epcot attraction despite trying to be both, in my opinion at least.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 13, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lol yeah I just remembered that after I posted. That contract seems wild I’d imagine Disney will someday try to buy their way out of that or renegotiate it. Seems like a huge missed PR opportunity they’re just giving to their competitor.

Universal has no interest in doing that and from people’s readings there’s no way out of the contract from Marvel’s end unless Universal closes or intentionally produces garbage not up to world-class theme park standards. The only renegotiation they’ve done is amending it after the buyout to protect Universal’s internal financials from Disney’s lawyers. Don’t forget it was signed in 1994.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad Universal is keeping Disney from having it, so Disney doesn't retheme all their classic WDW attractions to Marvel bullshit.

(Spider-Man at Universal is a really good ride)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Zikan posted:

I want to see a boardroom meeting where somebody explains to Disney bigwigs what obscure Marvel properties they could potentially turn into TV shows and movies while being able to sidestep the Universal contract.

"So Randall Park's character from the second Ant-Man movie and WandaVision hangs out with a talking gorilla, a 1950s robot and a siren who thinks she's the goddess Venus..."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We’re getting a Moongirl and Devil Dino show, all bets are on.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Gavok posted:

I want to see a boardroom meeting where somebody explains to Disney bigwigs what obscure Marvel properties they could potentially turn into TV shows and movies while being able to sidestep the Universal contract.

"So Randall Park's character from the second Ant-Man movie and WandaVision hangs out with a talking gorilla, a 1950s robot and a siren who thinks she's the goddess Venus..."

The restrictions are only for theme park attractions in Orlando.

So it would be a ride with Randall Park's character from the second Ant-Man movie and WandaVision hangs out with a talking gorilla, a 1950s robot and a siren who thinks she's the goddess Venus...

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

There's so much Marvel stuff that even if Universal is the one holding the deal in place there's no shortage of things for Orlando. My biggest concern is The Simpsons because I feel that'll be demolished as soon as it can and I don't trust Disney to care about The Simpsons.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Tim Whatley posted:

There's so much Marvel stuff that even if Universal is the one holding the deal in place there's no shortage of things for Orlando. My biggest concern is The Simpsons because I feel that'll be demolished as soon as it can and I don't trust Disney to care about The Simpsons.

At this point in time, I don't trust the Simpsons to care about the Simpsons

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

Anti-Bunny posted:

https://libguides.ocls.info/specialcollections/disney

Apparently there's a sizable archive in the Orlando library, it's local for us and my partner is a librarian and a huge Disney history nerd so we're going to check it out next week

so our biggest find was a press release that shows Typhoon Lagoon was originally going to be called 'Splash' as a movie tie in (with a hotel, too). Eisner sure loved that dumb movie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Universal has no interest in doing that and from people’s readings there’s no way out of the contract from Marvel’s end unless Universal closes or intentionally produces garbage not up to world-class theme park standards. The only renegotiation they’ve done is amending it after the buyout to protect Universal’s internal financials from Disney’s lawyers. Don’t forget it was signed in 1994.

Universal is waiting for Disney to give them enough money to revamp everything between Jurassic Park and Port of Entry. It really is that simple.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there a good resource for cheap/discounted Universal Orlando tickets? Lodging is all set, so no need to build a vacation package on their website.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there a good resource for cheap/discounted Universal Orlando tickets? Lodging is all set, so no need to build a vacation package on their website.

I don't know of any beyond travel agent and corporate discounts. Everything else you see is scammy in one way or another.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I use https://www.attractiontickets.com for my Universal tickets. Gets it down to about £330 per person for a two-week ticket, but will require VPN fuckery and maybe getting someone to post you the physical tickets.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
On Friday I'm boarding our next Disney Cruise aboard the Wish! This'll be my first time on board this one, so I actively stopped reading reviews on it months ago to manage my expectations.

Anyhow, could use some insights if anyone has any...

1. We're flying Southwest on Thursday (and back on Monday). I've been keeping up with the news since all the poo poo during the holidays regarding them, but should I definitely keep the backup plan of driving? Definitely not ideal since it's about a 9ish hour drive from where I'm at, but I haven't seen much in the past couple of weeks about Southwest cancellations. Just curious if anyone else had.

2. We're only in Orlando for one night, staying at the Hyatt Grand Cypress (I had a shitload of points to burn). Assuming our flight happens as planned, we should be landing around 1:15ish EST. Any non-parks recommendations on things to do? If all else fails, we'll just take a free shuttle to Disney Springs for the late afternoon/evening, but my wife would like to try something new if we can find something fun or cool.

EDIT: Or if there is something new(ish) at Disney Springs we should check out, I'm open to it.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 16, 2023

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Coasterphreak posted:

Universal is waiting for Disney to give them enough money to revamp everything between Jurassic Park and Port of Entry. It really is that simple.

There was apparently behind the scenes talk between the two where Universal would get to keep their comic book based rides as is, no revamp needed, and they'd get total theme park rights to The Simpsons since Disney doesn't really have use for then, but Disney would be allowed to do MCU Spider-Man and Avengers stuff at WDW.

It fell through because Universal isn't dumb and asked for more money.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Doronin posted:

1. We're flying Southwest on Thursday (and back on Monday). I've been keeping up with the news since all the poo poo during the holidays regarding them, but should I definitely keep the backup plan of driving? Definitely not ideal since it's about a 9ish hour drive from where I'm at, but I haven't seen much in the past couple of weeks about Southwest cancellations. Just curious if anyone else had.

You could drive, but you also could buy tickets on a different airline the instant you get a whiff of trouble at Southwest. If Southwest ends up not canceling the flight, you can cancel and get credit. If they do cancel it, you can get your money back.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

There was apparently behind the scenes talk between the two where Universal would get to keep their comic book based rides as is, no revamp needed, and they'd get total theme park rights to The Simpsons since Disney doesn't really have use for then, but Disney would be allowed to do MCU Spider-Man and Avengers stuff at WDW.

Is there anymore validity to this is what got Chapek canned super hard?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yup. Specifically, Universal knows they gotta at least redo Toon Lagoon at some point after EU opens. I've heard both Zelda and LotR.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Toon Lagoon is in that weird overlap spot of "oh yeah I remember those old cartoons from when I was a kid, kind of" and "I am too wet". They really need to do something with it.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Toon Lagoon is in that weird overlap spot of "oh yeah I remember those old cartoons from when I was a kid, kind of" and "I am too wet". They really need to do something with it.

Last time I went to Islands of Adventure, the Dudley Do-Right ride was closed and it was a shame, because I remember it being one of the most unique water flume rides I've ever been on (the ending, anyways). It does kind of overlap with Jurassic Park, though, but I consider the final drop way interesting. Bilge Rat Barges is also the most wet I think I've been on at any ride in any park. Compared to that, the river rapids ride in Animal Kingdom is absolute garbage.

Honestly, if anything, before re-doing Toon Lagoon they should replace the big building that is between Toon Lagoon and King Kong. I have been to Universal three times, with about an 8 year spread total, and there's always been this building with nothing in it anymore. I think it used to have a show? Maybe Bill and Ted or Beetlejuice or something?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Superrodan posted:

Bilge Rat Barges is also the most wet I think I've been on at any ride in any park.

It's nothing compared to Coupon: The Movie: The Ride.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sudden realisation: re-theming Splash Mountain ruins the whole "mountain climber" meme achievement thing. How long until Disney re-re-name it to be "Splash Mountain: Tiana's Bayou Adventure"?

Superrodan posted:

Last time I went to Islands of Adventure, the Dudley Do-Right ride was closed and it was a shame, because I remember it being one of the most unique water flume rides I've ever been on (the ending, anyways). It does kind of overlap with Jurassic Park, though, but I consider the final drop way interesting. Bilge Rat Barges is also the most wet I think I've been on at any ride in any park. Compared to that, the river rapids ride in Animal Kingdom is absolute garbage.

Honestly, if anything, before re-doing Toon Lagoon they should replace the big building that is between Toon Lagoon and King Kong. I have been to Universal three times, with about an 8 year spread total, and there's always been this building with nothing in it anymore. I think it used to have a show? Maybe Bill and Ted or Beetlejuice or something?
I'm not sure what building you mean.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not sure what building you mean.

After entering Toon Lagoon from Marvel, it's on the left before the Comic Strip Cafe. I believe its an old theater or maybe an amphitheater that they would put seasonal shows in, but I've never seen anything there anytime I've gone. I grabbed this from google streetview:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
It’s the toon lagoon amphitheater and it has stood vacant for more than half of its existence. They had a show with cartoon characters like Dudley Do-Right and whatever for the first year but that went away pretty quickly and it’s just had the occasional BNX stunt show during peak since then, and even the the last time that operated was like a decade ago.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's between Spiderman and Toon Lagoon. And yes it briefly had some shows in it. I remember seeing Bill and Ted there during a HHN many years ago.

I think it's still used for some special events now. Like school bands/cheer things.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ah, right, that's on the opposite side of Toon Lagoon. I was very confused there for a minute. I think last I was there they just hid the entrance to it with hot dog carts and more carnival games.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, sorry! I realize now that my original description of where it was located was way off, I just remembered seeing it when entering Toon Lagoon and forgot what side I was on until I consulted google maps.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Superrodan posted:

Maybe Bill and Ted or Beetlejuice or something?

Beetlejuice was over in the other park.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Beetlejuice was over in the other park.

Yeah I just did a quick google search and the poster above confirmed that it's where Bill and Ted would be at halloween.

Bill and Ted is kind of a perfect property to sort of do a musical "celebrity impressions" style show. Not sure that's what the old Bill and Ted used to be or not (I bet there's a well made youtube video I could watch a-la Defunctland that would tell me, maybe I'll check that out) but it might be a slam dunk to get like a Beatles/Rolling Stones classic rock band, someone pretending to be Beethoven/Mozart, a Jimi Hendrix impersonator, some kinda Hair Metal band, some kind of early electronic music/Synthwave pioneer, and then do sort of a mashup show that mixes a bunch of musical styles for the finale. They did that a bit as the B plot of the most recent movie, but I think it could be a really cool stage show concept.

Kids wouldn't care though, about old music OR Bill and Ted, especially compared to putting in a new ride which would last forever and not be reliant on specific talent doing 30 shows a week or whatever, so I have a feeling that's not a great idea except in my head.

I guess I just really like musical mashups that genre bend and Bill and Ted.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

You pretty much just described the Beetlejuice show! It ran for 20 years.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
It's like Star Wars Launch Bay in Disneyland, been empty for years. The theater there sits empty as well.

Just update Tomorrowland already!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Superrodan posted:

Yeah I just did a quick google search and the poster above confirmed that it's where Bill and Ted would be at halloween.

Bill and Ted is kind of a perfect property to sort of do a musical "celebrity impressions" style show. Not sure that's what the old Bill and Ted used to be or not (I bet there's a well made youtube video I could watch a-la Defunctland that would tell me, maybe I'll check that out) but it might be a slam dunk to get like a Beatles/Rolling Stones classic rock band, someone pretending to be Beethoven/Mozart, a Jimi Hendrix impersonator, some kinda Hair Metal band, some kind of early electronic music/Synthwave pioneer, and then do sort of a mashup show that mixes a bunch of musical styles for the finale. They did that a bit as the B plot of the most recent movie, but I think it could be a really cool stage show concept.

Kids wouldn't care though, about old music OR Bill and Ted, especially compared to putting in a new ride which would last forever and not be reliant on specific talent doing 30 shows a week or whatever, so I have a feeling that's not a great idea except in my head.

I guess I just really like musical mashups that genre bend and Bill and Ted.

I was at the very very last Bill and Ted show and it was amazing.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was at the very very last Bill and Ted show and it was amazing.

At lunch today I watched a retrospective of the Bill and Ted show and it turns out its way different than I would have expected, being much more of a big mashup of weird pop culture from the past year with a time travel sheen than it was about the music. It went through some iterations, with some of them being more music based, but generally it seemed all about just making fun of pop culture, themselves, and disney, which I liked. Here's the video in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ZqIyNyobI

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

It's like Star Wars Launch Bay in Disneyland, been empty for years. The theater there sits empty as well.

Just update Tomorrowland already!

The reason they don't update tomorrowland is because they don't know how to sell hope and a dream of a better future to us when the present is this.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Well, there’s also the part where we all walk around with fully functional computers in our pockets that never actually need to be plugged into anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The reason they don't update tomorrowland is because they don't know how to sell hope and a dream of a better future to us when the present is this.

Multiverse is the new hotness, just make it alternate earth where people aren't selfish idiots.