Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

See I thought that name was Sapphic and I thought IS was being a touch on the nose there

But yeah buff lady knight is the kind of character we haven’t seen since literally Echidna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

lih posted:

who exactly is the game supposedly pandering to that you're complaining about anyway? people who like busier character designs? people who like saturated colours? people who hated the monastery in 3h?

me, specifically

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Honestly I think if everything about the advertising is screaming at you that it will be something that you'll hate, just don't play it. Why put yourself through that, and why put it on everyone else around you?

I just genuinely don't get it. If I'm hating some form of media, I just stop playing/watching/reading/whatever.

The weak fan says 'I'm gonna give this one a miss/this ain't my jam'

The strong fan reiterates that the series is dead and ruined. Also it's probably Norura's fault somehow.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Booky posted:

wheres the tier list maker...

https://tiermaker.com/create/fire-emblem-games-tier-list-updated-162123

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

RareAcumen posted:

The weak fan says 'I'm gonna give this one a miss/this ain't my jam'

The strong fan reiterates that the series is dead and ruined. Also it's probably Norura's fault somehow.

If I don't watch all the worst episodes of Star Trek how will I complain about them with other Star Trek fans?!

also see that leak is great.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

thank you.

Booky fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 20, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

also btw whatever here are the two unrevealed characters (presumably) that were shown off in the artbook:

Only 2 :(

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

https://twitter.com/SerenesForest/status/1613874839650983938

Based on this, it's possible that those two are the last few unreleased playables.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

RuBisCO posted:

also btw whatever here are the two unrevealed characters (presumably) that were shown off in the artbook:

:siren:SPOILERS:siren:
https://imgur.com/a/3IoUBKr

To people that don't wanna be spoiled, I'll say one very important thing that everyone should know. One of them is hot. The other's okay, I guess

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder which of the secondary characters will end up being the fan favourites

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

My money's on Yunaka

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
The Alpaca dude, and Griss

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm going to make a team of busty ladies in this game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im going to make a team of busty ladies, and rosado

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gonna have a squad of murder kids with Anna as the leader

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'm going to pick whoever ends up with the best stats.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mages? Mages.

All mages.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Punch, kick, it's all in the mind.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

lih posted:

who exactly is the game supposedly pandering to that you're complaining about anyway? people who like busier character designs? people who like saturated colours? people who hated the monastery in 3h?

So from what I've gathered it's basically:

1. The story as is, seems focused entirely on a fun romp through the world of Fire Emblem without real stakes because it's intended as an anniversary game. Contrasted with the grounded tone of Three Houses and the ambition of that game's story, even if the execution was off, the regression back to a by the numbers plot is disappointing.

2. Engages are a celebration of the history of Fire Emblem, but huge portions of the fanbase came in with games post Awakening, at which point a lot of advertising has focused on a huge number of nothing lords from games you don't care about. Additionally the characters from the post Awakening games are Corrin and Byleth, arguably two of the least interesting characters in their own games.

3. Engages just seem utterly busted, so it feels like we're going to get a game with no real ability to balance around the power the player has been given.

4. The artstyle is super colourful, which again, contrasts the grounded nature of where three houses was.

5. The ingame models for women are weird. (Which isn't an artstyle thing, but a translation of that artstyle to 3d)

Personally, I share some, but not all, of these concerns, (for example, the actual art for the characters rules) but most of that is offset by how much I just enjoy meat and potatoes Fire Emblem. I can say I'm less hype for this than I was going into 3H though, which was much more my vibe.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I look forward to when I can fire (emblem) up the ol switch and play this game. I may even "kick back" and "take it easy" while I play. Another thing I might do is hang out and converse with others.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

quoting for TMS

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I got into FE with 3 Houses, and I didn't get it until like a year after it had come out, but I loved it so much I've gone back and played a a bunch of older FE games now.

So I'm excited to be in on the ground floor of an FE release for the first time ever.

...except that it means that the tile for Engage is sitting on my Switch, taunting my inability to actually open it until next Friday.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
TMS is good until I got stumped by the final dungeon and its loving shifting platforms

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Carlosologist posted:

See I thought that name was Sapphic and I thought IS was being a touch on the nose there

But yeah buff lady knight is the kind of character we haven’t seen since literally Echidna

Echidna wasn't even old, she just had white hair.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Carlosologist posted:

reina was in fates!!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/mikapikazo/status/1614275867525488643

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I decided to push through fe3h for the first time after repeatedly burning out on monastery stuff and good lord is fishing miserable. If you could fish 10 times less and get the same experience it would have been so much more bearable.

Also, Lysithea is a monster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

three houses didnt look 'grounded' it looked like a level from tiny tank for the ps1. important distinction

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

three houses didnt look 'grounded' it looked like a level from tiny tank for the ps1. important distinction

Yeah it did, the product of the dark shades, the generally more angular models lent itself to that feel.

There is a clear goal they were aiming for with the model and graphic design of that game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the clear goal:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

The ground is brown.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

the clear goal:

Hey don't you loving disrespect tiny tank. That poo poo rules.

But in all seriousness if you don't get that visuals are hugely important parts of tone then I have no idea why you're contributing to that discussion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes aside: i get that three houses was going for a more grounded tone but a lot of what make it seem more 'muted' feels as much a function of engine and graphics limitations. its obviously more muted than engage yeah, but like, kronya existed. it doesn't feel to me like it was going for any more grounded a tone than the GBA FEs or FE9/10.

obviously visuals are a hugely important part of tone but a lot of three houses feels as much a technical constraint as anything else. like the class outfits being (mostly) somewhat reasonable armor and such, sure. the character designs being (mostly) pretty normal fantasy stuff, sure. the colors not being like, super exaggerated like engage, sure. the exact shade of muddy brown that three houses is? that feels more like a technical problem, not it trying to be extremely dour.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of Kronya, she showed up in Heroes as a boss fight before 3H released, wonder if they'll do something similar for Engage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The house leaders and female byleth also got a banner in heroes the week before 3h dropped, im pretty sure. Maybe engage will get alear and framme/clanne/vander.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

It's gonna be both Alears and Ivy + Hortensia if I had to guess.

The twins don't seem like moneymakers and Vander is almost certainly going to be a free unit

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
FEH shifted some banners around so that there's a banner for New Heroes (as opposed to the Seasonal Dressup stuff) 3 days before Engage drops so most people believe it's going to be an Engage banner then.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I could live with the three houses style if it didn’t run like butt.