Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Gyges posted:

I mean, that's true 99.9% of the time for these types. If you do enough financial crimes, it appears that the only way you get caught is either become famous or gently caress with rich people's money. Despite that, the fraudsters just keep stepping in the clearly marked trap.

Yeah the rules don't exist for the powerful, until you run afoul of people with more power than you.

Also power is now exclusively money, threatened only by the looming collapse of the only planet that sustains our existence. You'd think the fact that the economy has to exist here too would be better represented, but hey the market does what it does freedom baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PhazonLink posted:

This sounds very 2015/16 wrt to some guy.

except this part. but only because he ran and got into a tooo small office., lol should have ran for NY state governor.

Yeah, if he lost like he did in 2020 he's gone and you had a successful grift, if you win then you think you're like Trump: now you're in charge so the grift charges don't matter and become "political."

edit: I do think that Santos and whatever the team they had thought they would lose, there just happened to be in a district that somehow became competitive. Laura Loomer needs to take notes

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 14, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah, if he lost like he did in 2020 he's gone and you had a successful grift, if you win then you think you're like Trump: now you're in charge so the grift charges don't matter and become "political."

edit: I do think that Santos and whatever the team they had thought they would lose, there just happened to be in a district that somehow became competitive. Laura Loomer needs to take notes

It is nice that in this dark timeline we've discovered the comedy of people running campaigns with the intention of losing, only to gently caress it up and win.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Debt ceiling hostage-taking is a political loser for Republicans every single time and yet happens every single time. At this point a lot of them have openly expressed disinterest in this gimmick but the hardliners can't quit it.

Yeah I'm just here for them to score savage hits on their own face repeatedly for no conceivable tactical benefit

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Debt ceiling hostage-taking is a political loser for Republicans every single time and yet happens every single time. At this point a lot of them have openly expressed disinterest in this gimmick but the hardliners can't quit it.

I'm not sure that it is a loser for them.

The GOP remains competitive in the House (I know it's a slim majority, but it's not like they're getting completely blown out and this is despite repeated gamesmanship with the debt ceiling).

The GOP also has done fantastically with respect to governorships, Trump won in 2016, and they're competitive in the Senate too. All of this has happened in a world where they regularly play chicken with the debt ceiling.

Meanwhile, it gets GOP voters excited because it looks like they're "fighting hard on a real issue" - gov't debt and spending (I know this is a bad way to view the issue but it's how they sell it to their voters).

Is it really hurting them? I genuinely don't know. Is there polling or some other analysis indicating whether it is or isn't?

EDIT:
I even wonder how much it would hurt them if they really did take us over the cliff. Would they successfully be able to pin the chaos and economic harm on the Democrats, especially since there's currently a Dem president? Maybe! I am reminded of the comic of what people think the president does, with Obama standing at the resolute desk with a big lever for ECONOMY and GAS PRICE.

I drat sure hope we never find out.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 14, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gyges posted:

It is nice that in this dark timeline we've discovered the comedy of people running campaigns with the intention of losing, only to gently caress it up and win.

It's ironic that the candidate that happened to was also the director of The Producers

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Meanwhile, it gets GOP voters excited because it looks like they're "fighting hard on a real issue" - gov't debt and spending (I know this is a bad way to view the issue but it's how they sell it to their voters).

Is it really hurting them? I genuinely don't know. Is there polling or some other analysis indicating whether it is or isn't?

Voters have typically blamed Republicans for government shutdowns (google result that looks informative). The thing is nobody who thinks debt ceiling standoffs are "fighting hard" is a gettable vote for Democrats and normal people don't actually care about government debt.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 14, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

James Garfield posted:

It's ironic that the candidate that happened to was also the director of The Producers

Director, writer, dreamweaver, plus actor

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Director, writer, dreamweaver, plus actor

"I know a lot of politicians who use subtext and they're all cowards"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The RAND Corporation performed an exhaustive study of impacts of different types of gun legislation on shooting deaths, defensive gun use, hunting and recreational sporting, and police shootings in America. This is the only major study of this type.

Major Findings:

- They found that of all the major gun control policies proposed, that only one (prohibiting firearm purchases by mentally ill people) did not have enough evidence to support conclusions that it would reduce gun homicides.

- None of the pro-gun or gun control policies had any impact on police shootings in a positive or negative way.

- Studies show that assault weapons bans may reduce mass shootings, but there is limited data and a conclusion can't be drawn yet. However, gun control measures that limit the amount of bullets in magazines and ban high-capacity magazines do reduce the number of people killed in mass shootings.

- Child safety features have no impact on overall gun violence or accidental deaths among adults, but do significantly reduce the amount of accidental deaths among children.

- None of the 18 policies they analyzed, both the pro-gun and gun control, had any impact on the number of people who used guns for hunting or sport.

- None of the gun control policies had any impact on the rate of people using guns in self-defense. Stand your ground laws did moderately increase the number of people who used their guns defensively.

- Raising minimum age requirements for buying firearms doesn't seem to have a major impact on the overall gun homicide rate, but does have a significant impact on the youth suicide and self-harm rate.

- Mandatory waiting periods do reduce the amount of total gun homicides, but the impact is very small.

- Banning assault weapons dramatically drives up their price and results in significantly decreased usage. However, it is not clear that it had a major impact on the overall gun homicide rate or how many people just switched to firearms that were not banned.

- Firearm licensing and permitting requirements don't seem to have a significant impact on gun homicides, but they do lead to a significant reduction in gun suicides.

- Concealed carry laws significantly increase the amount of gun-related deaths, but there isn't enough evidence to say that they increase overall violent crime.

https://twitter.com/RANDCorporation/status/1613256956168347648

Discendo Vox posted:

We need to dig into their methodology; I’ll have time this evening.

All right, this has taken some time to chew through, since it's 450 pages. That said this methodological note at xvii from the intro basically exposes a big 'ol problem with a lot of their framework:

quote:

In addition, our review did not cover the full range of policy levers available but rather focused on a set of policies that have been implemented in the U.S. context and, therefore, have proven to be politically and legally feasible, at least in
some places. This decision meant that none of the policies we examined would dramatically increase or decrease the stock of guns or gun ownership rates in ways that might produce more readily detectable effects on public safety, health, and industry outcomes.

This reflects a broader approach taken with the selection of evidence and outcome measures throughout the report: it's only considering domestic state-level laws that have withstood SCOTUS review. The set of outcomes is, confusingly, not as well-articulated as their policy categorizations, and even their policy categorizations aren't very good. However, their lit review framework is sound, which isn't surprising, it's something that orgs like RAND specialize in. Terms are defined, there's a consensus mechanism, categorization of evidence strength, etc.

At the same time, a lot - a lot - of the inconclusiveness of the report was extremely predictable because the whole thing is at a high level of abstraction. They matrixed their policies and outcomes (checking and reporting every permutation), meaning they conducted lit review searches for dozens of pairs like, for example, the effect of gun-free zones on suicide rates. It's not surprising that there's not published studies on a lot of those combos! This was done instead of making outcome-policy decision selections that would allow narrower comparative meta-analytic methodologies that could report specific impacts between jurisdictions (with a lot of caveats). This would be obvious to the designers involved - it was set up such that it would necessarily find "not enough information" for a lot of its questions. It looks a lot like they started from the position that they'd do a broad qualitative lit review because that's what they'd done before. On that "what they've done before" note, I also observe that they definitely started from the 2nd edition and then just made edits (which isn't atypical for this sort of thing, but in this case it may have stunted the utility of the whole exercise).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gyges posted:

Also doesn't help that the Very Serious People they run against somehow manage to gently caress up harder than if they were actively trying.

The debt ceiling long ago became nothing more than a ritual which I don't think anyone cares about at all. There's always a big song and dance over nothing that everyone instantly forgets.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing that grates the most about this is if I lie on my resume about my GPA or even some creative embellishments for a $45,000 a year job and get caught, I can easily be fired with cause. I mean, I don't DO that but, like most people I tend to put a little icing on the cake I'm baking and decorate it nice.

The poo poo this guy did is pathological and straight up demonstrably false. I don't understand how the democrat's oppo research missed all this and even save it for the debate stage. If I put on my Linked In that I went to Harvard, painted the Cistine Ceiling, was a Navy Seal, killed Bin Laden and won the Heisman Trophy, someone's probably gonna check that with a minimum of vetting before putting me on a salary, let alone running me for a position as a lawmaker.

Then you have douche bags like Matt Gaetz calling it one of the biggest smear job in political history and saying "what about Biden's lies" and when it's Trump, who lies every time he speaks, it's somehow the media picking on them. Jesus Christ, this guy's lies were easily discoverable and I'm hosed if I can figure out how he got this far and still has support.

It appears that the Dems' oppo research missed it because his actual opponents never did any. The DCCC did some oppo research, but being a national entity, they had dozens of weirdoes and crazies to investigate, so they didn't do super deep dives. His direct opponents would be the ones who'd dig super deep, but they apparently didn't bother to do any oppo research at all.

Reporters had been tipped off that something wasn't right about Santos, but they apparently ignored it until after the election, when the NYT suddenly decided to investigate it for some reason.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

It appears that the Dems' oppo research missed it because his actual opponents never did any. The DCCC did some oppo research, but being a national entity, they had dozens of weirdoes and crazies to investigate, so they didn't do super deep dives. His direct opponents would be the ones who'd dig super deep, but they apparently didn't bother to do any oppo research at all.

Reporters had been tipped off that something wasn't right about Santos, but they apparently ignored it until after the election, when the NYT suddenly decided to investigate it for some reason.

People are calling on a big revamp of the New York state party, and especially the pieces of poo poo Cuomo toadie that still runs it.

As for why the NYT only did this after the elections, I mean, this is a much better selling story now that he's been elected, right? We're lucky they didn't wait (not want, I can't type) a few years to publish it in a book.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 14, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but santos already has all the books written about his lies?

He's all the listings

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Sodomy Hussein posted:

We are now uncovering that every level of the Republican Party knew Santos was a pathological liar and conman from the beginning. Dems had their strong suspicions too as apparently everyone who has ever met the guy gets a bad vibe from him, but everyone assumed everyone else would do the work to be rid of him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/13/nyregion/george-santos-republicans-lies.html

The only upside is he would probably be doing more damage undetected had he not run for office.

Gonna give some rank speculation here about this guy's motivations based solely on my gut and some prior experience dealing with certain people that doesn't even really matter in the long run so feel free to skip this, but I think this bit:

quote:

All of it was in the report, which also said that Mr. Santos, who is openly gay, had been married to a woman.

is kind of at the heart of this man's actions. He was deep in the closet and likely spent most of his life lying about himself, and decided to just keep going either because it's always worked to his advantage or he doesn't know any other way to live.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if his primary motivation in being such a high-profile con artist is so he can muddy the waters and in a weird way return to the closet. "Well, he said he's gay, but he's a compulsive liar so who knows." But I'm just armchair quarterbacking here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean it's really not uncommon for openly gay people to be formerly closeted and have gotten married to someone of the opposite gender as a part of that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean it's really not uncommon for openly gay people to be formerly closeted and have gotten married to someone of the opposite gender as a part of that.

The issue here is that he's been claiming to openly gay for the last decade, which was news to his wife who he divorced just before either this campaign or the 2020 campaign he lost.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Got married to stay in the US, maybe?

"Deported to Brasil" is still my funniest end game for this.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Funniest endgame is probably that he's neither Brazilian nor 'Merican. Just a poor French-Canadian conman.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

The US will not default. The economic consequences would hurt everyone massively. If it looked like a real possibility, the owners would put pressure on both parties.

The only real worry is that the brinksmanship still spook an already spooked market(those poor, innocent capitalists)

You're assuming that the hardliners will cave and not play silly buggers until it's too late.

IIRC - and please correct me if I'm wrong - the debt-ceiling has to be approved by the House and the Senate and then signed into law by the President. Now, while that can be done fairly quickly, it still means that there's an absolute deadline beyond which we are all, economically speaking, hosed if something goes wrong. And this time there are enough True Believers in the idea that 'a default won't be that bad' that they can pose a real and serious problem.

They're already talking about trying to prioritize certain payments when the government does hit the debt-ceiling to 'prove' that the government can work just fine without more borrowing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2023/01/13/debt-ceiling-gop-plan/

quote:

In the preliminary stages of being drafted, the GOP proposal would call on the Biden administration to make only the most critical federal payments if the Treasury Department comes up against the statutory limit on what it can legally borrow. For instance, the plan is almost certain to call on the department to keep making interest payments on the debt, according to four people familiar with the internal deliberations who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private conversations. House Republicans’ payment prioritization plan may also stipulate that the Treasury Department should continue making payments on Social Security, Medicare and veterans benefits, as well as funding the military, two of the people said.

Assuming this is true - which, granted, is admittedly a big one - even floating it as a trial-balloon really, genuinely makes me worried that these chucklefucks will fly too close to the sun on this one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Main Paineframe posted:

That's just insane to me. Seems like even some very basic Google or alumni directory searches would have turned up something. It doesn't appear as if they did anything at all.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/eaworkers_union/status/1613958231327383552

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1614005332828880896

it might not be totally analogous, but i find it amusing in a way that for all their weeping and wailing about a couple hundred dollars worth of ad-buys by russian trolls, they had no problem allowing the sale of their database and software kit to a uk-based investment firm, which then turned around and slashed ~30% of the people responsible for maintaining that platform.

senior level architects, product coaches, support staff, developers, and client advocates got their access cut off, some of them while they were in the middle of customer calls, couldn't break to see their emails, and were locked out of their email before their client call ever ended. the combined years of knowledge of the platform, how the different versions work (there are actually 3 different production releases of NGP), and other indispensable knowledge that was never written down just...gone. some people have said it's a collective 50 years' worth of knowledge of NGPVAN.

:rubby:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing that grates the most about this is if I lie on my resume about my GPA or even some creative embellishments for a $45,000 a year job and get caught, I can easily be fired with cause. I mean, I don't DO that but, like most people I tend to put a little icing on the cake I'm baking and decorate it nice.

I was nearly fired for exaggerating my abilities in excel.

I was running a CrossFit gym at a corporate headquarters in Atlanta.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

FizFashizzle posted:

More of a reason to lie on your resume imo.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

FizFashizzle posted:

Excel is very important in CrossFit.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
but how can we trust you now?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm imagining the crucial scene in an action movie but the hero's fate depends on creating a Pivot Table.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How can you CrossFit if you can't CrossTab?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

That's just insane to me. Seems like even some very basic Google or alumni directory searches would have turned up something. It doesn't appear as if they did anything at all.

New York Democrats have been pretty recently actively letting Republicans win to keep leftist candidates out, the official body for making sure of such has only very recently faded from prominence.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
drat, if they only knew they're perfectly capable of keeping themselves out, they wouldn't have to intentionally lose their own elections...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cranappleberry posted:

but how can we trust you now?

Because OP was a Navy Seal with a doctorate in physics from Brown and has a congressional medal of honor. Duh.

Anyone who says otherwise is a MSM hitman.

FizFashizzle posted:

You should probably go run for senate and wear your medal of honor at debates and campaign appearances.

Wearing fake jewelry almost worked out for Herschel Walker, speaking of pathological liars.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

BiggerBoat posted:

Because OP was a Navy Seal with a doctorate in physics from Brown and has a congressional medal of honor. Duh.

Anyone who says otherwise is a MSM hitman.

You should probably go run for senate and wear your medal of honor at debates and campaign appearances.

Wearing fake jewelry almost worked out for Herschel Walker, speaking of pathological liars.

Remember how Trump was notorious for giving out fake diamond cufflinks to impress people?

I really thought this should have been a bigger scandal, but I apparently have morals that are out of step with mainstream America.

https://nypost.com/2016/06/21/trump-has-been-giving-out-fake-diamond-cuff-links-for-years/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

Remember how Trump was notorious for giving out fake diamond cufflinks to impress people?

I really thought this should have been a bigger scandal, but I apparently have morals that are out of step with mainstream America.

https://nypost.com/2016/06/21/trump-has-been-giving-out-fake-diamond-cuff-links-for-years/

Fake diamonds news

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

I can’t get mad about a rich guy scamming other rich guys tbh this is funny

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

selec posted:

I don't think anyone's mad about it. It's hilarious, and a character insight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eric Cantonese posted:

Imagine meeting Donald Trump, of all people, and thinking he'd actually give you real diamonds.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gyges posted:

Imagine meeting Donald Trump, of all people, and thinking he'd actually give you real diamonds.

He had one real Diamond in his roster, and, well...

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

selec posted:

Would it be funny if he gave the fake diamond cufflinks to you?

I find conmen generally offensive, even if they victimize rich people.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

selec posted:

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don't think anyone's mad about it. It's hilarious, and a character insight.

See also: when Vladimir Putin stole Robert Kraft's Super Bowl ring

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Eric Cantonese posted:

I find conmen generally offensive, even if they victimize rich people.

Do the “victims” consider that con man generally offensive? I myself sincerely believe the wealthy are merely shifting around and playing games with money they didn’t make, so it’s just part of those games.

It’s very hard to feel bad for Charlie Sheen, but a better person than I might.

e: to answer the question I’d probably be pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Eric Cantonese posted:

yes, extremely