Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Desert Bus posted:

I was looking for a way to tie this all back into Media and was positive that Moby's track "Thousand" which has the fastest BPM ever was released as part of the backlash to the "Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994" but I can't find any connection:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Justice_and_Public_Order_Act_1994

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_(song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNQDCcqQu2Q

Thousand is terrible, but it did inspire the great joke that Moby recorded it because even ravers like a slow smoochy number every now and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

You should start a Youtube channel where you try things so other people don't have to

I'm not sure I can re-create decades of mistakes without dying.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

You should start a Youtube channel where you try things so other people don't have to

like some kind of... try fella?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

endocriminologist posted:

Who was the other guy who was obsessed with that poor girl. A writer I think

Vox posted:

Portman has apparently been a fan of [Jonathan Safran] Foer’s since he published his first novel, Everything Is Illuminated, in 2002, and they began an email correspondence not long afterward. When Foer published his case against eating meat, Eating Animals, Portman wrote an op-ed for the Huffington Post about how the book convinced her to become a vegan. She signed on to produce a documentary based on the book. And somewhere along the way, per the rumors carefully outlined by A.J. Daulerio at Ratter, Foer decided that he and Portman were in love.

​According to Daulerio, Foer told his wife, the acclaimed novelist Nicole Krauss, that he was in love with a beautiful, intellectual movie star. He did not check with Portman to find out if she was on the same page but more or less took it as fact that of course they were meant to be. He and Krauss divorced.

But Portman, who is married to her Black Swan co-star Benjamin Millepied, had no interest in ending her own marriage to run away with Foer. When he finally approached her, the story goes, she told him so.
Article has a lot of relevant links.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://1900hotdog.com/2023/01/upsetting-day-the-girl-watcher-%F0%9F%8C%AD/

Seanbaby found a magazine that didn’t age well

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Article has a lot of relevant links.

loving :lmao:

“It’s almost 6:00 in the morning. The boys are still asleep. I can hear the guinea pigs stirring, but that might be the residue of a nightmare. People often refer to aloneness and writer’s block as the two great challenges of being a novelist. In fact, the hardest part is having to care for guinea pigs."

“Freedom might not be a prerequisite for the expression of passion — it helps, sometimes, not to be able to follow your instincts — but they are strongly intertwined. How do you think about freedom? When do you most strongly wish you had more of it? When do you most strongly wish you had less?”

“The two things that distinguish [Blue Ridge Summit, Pennsylvania] are its proximity to Gettysburg … I never have followed through on my threats of a tour, but Gettysburg’s presence is constantly felt while in the area: the innumerable signs commemorating battles, the ammunition in the antiques shops, the memorials. It also exudes a ghostly aura. I feel silly writing that, but there’s nothing silly or ignorable about the feeling. And it isn’t just the proximity to history. It’s something else — something in the air, and in the ground. Are there places where you feel a ‘‘something else’’?”

“My first book came out when I was young, but you have been a professional actress for what seems like your entire life. How has that influenced your sense of the passage of time? (Most people see milestones ahead, and work toward them. You had so much come at once.) Is there any sense in which writing and directing are a means to feel that you are beginning again? And not to pile on the questions, but ‘‘A Tale of Love and Darkness’’ is about a young boy growing up in a young country that is itself growing up. At the same time, the boy is clearly a very ‘‘old soul,’’ and the young country is more than 5,000 years old. More, you play a woman who is never her chronological age — sometimes too full of a child’s wonder to be an adult, sometimes prematurely old, sometimes almost biblical. What, if anything, did your own experiences with time — growing up, and as a mother — contribute to your vision of time in the film?”

“Not even Shabbat can stop the clock — two have moved from the future to the past in the course of our having this exchange — but every now and then the broken-down time machine that is Hotmail can cough itself back to life. I didn’t bother mentioning it, because it felt so fruitless, but while corresponding with you, I have also been corresponding with what I think is a robot at Hotmail. And while most everything that was lost will remain lost, I was able to dig up a few things, including the email that began our long friendship, from all the way back in 2002.”

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

man needed to pump the brakes prettttyyy hard

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

which is worse, the guy who hauled a printer across town or this guy

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I always see people mention the printer guy, what’s the story there?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Absolutely this guy. Hauly Printerton wasn't going to amount to much anyway, but this is some world-famous writer with a family throwing all of that away for an infatuation. Pathetic.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

well why not posted:

I always see people mention the printer guy, what’s the story there?

A post from I think E/N, where a guy talked about how he wanted a woman he knew to be his girlfriend, and gave an anecdote about how he drove and carried a printer to her car and she just thanked him instead of seeing how boyfriend worthy he was on the spot or whatever he wanted to happen.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Not going to try to find the actual post but it was on the front page at one point

quote:

A loose female acquaintance of mine calls me at 1:00am today and asks me if I could print something on the computer for her and bring it over in the afternoon. "Hey yeah sure sure, whatever you need I'll help you, I'm all yours," I tell her. She sends me this file and lo and behold I can't open it. It's made in Microsoft Publisher and I don't have that program so I begin panicing, trying to find this program or a way to print the file. Scouring the internet yields no results and I do my usual pacing in my room.

I finally come up with an idea and I tell the girl, if I can proceed with it. The plan was I would carry my printer about 2miles to her house, print out the needed pages, maybe talk to her a bit while I was there. I was hoping for at least a hug out of this ordeal.

By the time I get there, I'm wet all over from sweating in the +90 degree heat outside and carrying a heavy motherfucking HP Deskjet printer. The first thing I see upon entering her room (my first time in a girl's bedroom) are some panties on her bed.

After the initial shock of seeing such a horrific sight for the first time, I setup the printer and get my job done. However, I did consider sniffing the lingere when she left the room once, but with the wuss that I am, I just ended up staring at them the whole while. That was a sarcastic joke for those of you too stupid to realize that

To make a long story short, just as I was finishing up with the printing job (which was hefty), her boyfriend and his gay friend walk in, say hello, and begin hanging out in the room as they waited for the girl to finish this work so they could go to the mall.

This effectively ruins my chances of getting a hug and I walk another 2 miles home with the motherfucking printer in hand. The only thing that I got out of this were some very painful fingers and a "thanks" as I walked out her bedroom door.

So, am I pathetic for doing all these things? It wouldn't be the first time I've pledged my heart and soul to a girl and gotten back almost nothing in return. I would hate turning her or anyone else I knew down or making up some lie.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah printer guy was a classic proto-incel, just needed the right push to start hating women full time. This guy has a successful career and a family and he decided to just throw all that away because of a delusion that Natalie Portman was more than intellectually curious about his work.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol at printer guy but also some concern to go with said lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Carrying a printer to someone's house is pledging your heart and soul to them if you've been poisoned by decades and decades of rom-coms telling you it's a formula for a meet-cute instead of just a nice thing to do for someone

All circles back to the thread topic in the end!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Carrying a printer is a mental shorthand I have for doing stupid poo poo for someone who isn't into you
Urkeling is the one for when a person tries to just wear someone who has very clearly expressed disinterest down until they give in

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

Carrying a printer to someone's house is pledging your heart and soul to them if you've been poisoned by decades and decades of rom-coms telling you it's a formula for a meet-cute instead of just a nice thing to do for someone

All circles back to the thread topic in the end!

A lot makes sense when you realise how many people have been taught to believe they're the protagonist of reality and invoking genre conventions will actually work.

See the entire boomer generation.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

well why not posted:

lol at printer guy but also some concern to go with said lol

Well he killed himself, so your concern was warranted.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Shiroc posted:

Urkeling is the one for when a person tries to just wear someone who has very clearly expressed disinterest down until they give in

Urkel was a Texas Chainsaw Massacrer

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shiroc posted:

Also, any show by Matt Groening that's not the Simpsons.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, any show by Matt Groening that's not the Simpsons.

Speaking of which, Futurama has a new season coming out sometime this year on Hulu!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Futurama ended with season 4.

Anything after that is just a faint echo.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Disenchantment sucks

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Disenchantment sucks

I enjoyed Futurama, even the latter seasons, and even I thought this was true.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FreudianSlippers posted:

Futurama ended with season 4.

Anything after that is just a faint echo.
The season5 movies had a few good jokes but beyond that we are in agreement

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Disenchantment sucks

I don't hate it, and it does have some good moments, but yeah, on the whole, it's pretty disappointing. Definitely a lot of flaws.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Well he killed himself, so your concern was warranted.

Tbh going by his own words, best possible outcome

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
gently caress that piece of poo poo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Disenchantment was amazing on shrooms

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Feeling disenchanted about Disenchantment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At least this time everyone's getting the show's name correct.

That time we had a discussion about Disenchantment where not a single person got the show's name right was funnier than anything actually in the show.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Everything about it was just so loving half-baked. The writing was flabby, the jokes - such as there were - were flabby, the attempts at overarching plots were flabby, the characterization was flabby. Every character could have any personality trait at any time for any reason. Luci was presented as a tempter who was supposed to guide Bean into sin but just kinda turned out to be the bad friend who encourages her to do stuff she would've done anyway, and that's fine, except that episode where he spikes her drink which was just insanely hosed up and inconsistent with the tone up to that point. Elfo was just an incel and not even in a funny way, just an annoying way, except they kinda hint that Bean might sometimes be interested just because he's one of the male protagonists. And like I said, it just wasn't loving funny, or ever made me care about any of the background stuff that was happening. One of the running gags was that Bean's stepmother is an amphibian creature with a very different biology to ours, and then when we encounter her society the guard captain orders his men to jump into the water after Bean, and one of them is like 'uh, do we have to?' MOTHERFUCKER THESE ARE AMPHBIANS!!! THEY LIKE TO SWIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

i'm in pain after surgery and I'm here to tell you that disenchantment sucks dick and not in the good way. it's really loving bad

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

i'm in pain after surgery and I'm here to tell you that disenchantment sucks dick and not in the good way. it's really loving bad
"They're not telling a story, it's not really a parody of anything, the characters are uninteresting and the jokes aren't very good. Everything about it is mediocre. ... It looks like Futurama. It sounds like Futurama. It feels like Futurama. It's just not funny like Futurama. ... None of [the characters] are consistently defined." - Me, after watching four episodes.

After the entire first season: "The problem with the setting is that it doesn't seem to have been thought through at all, which would be fine if the show was funnier, but... the problem with the jokes is that they feel like first drafts, like they meant to come back and rewrite everything but didn't. Everything feels half-arsed. Every individual aspect of the show is 'good enough' - that is, it would be good enough if there was one outstanding aspect to hang the rest on, but there isn't."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I hope the surgery went OK and you're recovering well, but the addition of needless context makes it sound like you tested the old myth of how if you had two ribs removed you could suck your own dick.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jedit posted:

I hope the surgery went OK and you're recovering well, but the addition of needless context makes it sound like you tested the old myth of how if you had two ribs removed you could suck your own dick.

Which is way more sucking a dick than having your dick sucked.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its really amazing how every character in disenchantment is a lame clone of a futurama character. Bean is just Leela, Elfo is just a creepy fry, and Luci is just Bender but without a personality. The only character that is actually entertaining is the king.

Also, yeah there is way too much focus on the main plot. The show would probably work better if there were more standalone episodes. The world is too silly and inconsistent for me to care when it tries to do serious drama.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It was sorta cool when they went to that steampunky country, if mostly in a visual capacity

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

The Dollop podcast has an episode about this, too, if you want to know more about the gross guy who saw bird watchers taking notes in a park and thought "hey, I should do that but with girls!" (he never called them women, they were always "girls")

https://allthingscomedy.com/podcasts/194---the-girl-watchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Wait. "Bird watching." Outdated slang term of calling women "birds." A pun all along?