Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
my bike got a trip to the repair shop today and it turns out the issue was with the tyre, not the inner wheel - it was badly punctured and also installed incorrectly, so i ended up getting her replaced. honestly i'm so much more sceptical irt cheap bike deals now that i've had to invest so much more money in mine. next time i'll just pay for better quality to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Buy Nice* or buy twice.

*It doesn't even have to be super expensive either, just not the cheapest one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

w4ddl3d33 posted:

next time i'll just pay for better quality to begin with

You’re about 6 months out from rationalizing DuraAce over Ultegra for your new bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

gohuskies posted:

I am happy to pay for Strava. I don't care about the advanced metrics, the "fitness score", that sort of thing. It is a pretty decent route builder and I like the training log design. The main reason why is I just like Strava as a social network in general. I like to post stuff and get kudos from my friends, and to see what my friends are doing and give them kudos. Yes, I can do that for free, but if Strava is making me happy, I feel like I should pay for that. I certainly get way more than $60 or $80 or whatever worth of happiness a year from Strava.

This is where I'm at, for sure.

Basic TrainingPeaks + wko5 does more than I need for anything training-metric-related, but I don't mind paying for Strava, or even for trainerroad for a few months of trainer hell a year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My friend’s wife rides an Aethos. Her original (non sworks) frame cracked in a weird place so specialized warrantied it with an sworks. Riding it is what pushed me over the edge to get back in to road biking. Brakes worked well. :v:

Re Strava: is there a better option that syncs all my activities between trainer road and garmin?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Residency Evil posted:

My friend’s wife rides an Aethos. Her original (non sworks) frame cracked in a weird place so specialized warrantied it with an sworks. Riding it is what pushed me over the edge to get back in to road biking. Brakes worked well. :v:

Re Strava: is there a better option that syncs all my activities between trainer road and garmin?

You can sync Garmin and TR directly.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

kimbo305 posted:

You’re about 6 months out from rationalizing DuraAce over Ultegra for your new bike.

TOO LATE BITCH i'm rationalising ebay already

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Lake has new CX238s with Li2 BOAs coming this week, in case anyone's interested

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

Lake has new CX238s with Li2 BOAs coming this week, in case anyone's interested

Also a new version of the CX/MX241 (CX242) with the boas and slightly different design.

I ordered a pair of the mx241's for cheap since I like the road version

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My new toy

Going to turn it into a convertible cargo tandem

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

A shop near me has a Specialized Turbo Creo they’re clearing out because its last years model. It’s a pretty good price (considering the original MSRP).

I’ve thought about an e-bike for a while now to use to commute to work. I live 20miles from work, it’s a 30 minute commute each way. I also spend an hour a day road riding (during which I usually do about 20miles). If I ride to work, I essentially double my mileage with no change in total time. I’ve avoided just commuting on one of my other road bikes because where I live tends to be pretty windy, so nearly every day I’d have a headwind for that 20mile ride home and that’s less than fun after a 8-10 hour day.

The Creo is very similar to my Roubaix (which I love), although one thing that concerns me is they are using “road boost” wheel spacing, which seems like it’s barely a thing. Aftermarket wheel options are really limited, it doesn’t even look like Roval makes them. I had alloy wheels on my Roubaix before going carbon and other than climbing, I’ve not really noticed a huge benefit in ride quality, so maybe I won’t feel the need to upgrade.

What do you guys think? Is my concern about aftermarket wheel options overblown? Right now that is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. It sounds like overall the Creo is a great e-bike, I just don’t want to end up with something that has an obsolete “standard”.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LordOfThePants posted:

A shop near me has a Specialized Turbo Creo they’re clearing out because its last years model. It’s a pretty good price (considering the original MSRP).

I’ve thought about an e-bike for a while now to use to commute to work. I live 20miles from work, it’s a 30 minute commute each way. I also spend an hour a day road riding (during which I usually do about 20miles). If I ride to work, I essentially double my mileage with no change in total time. I’ve avoided just commuting on one of my other road bikes because where I live tends to be pretty windy, so nearly every day I’d have a headwind for that 20mile ride home and that’s less than fun after a 8-10 hour day.

The Creo is very similar to my Roubaix (which I love), although one thing that concerns me is they are using “road boost” wheel spacing, which seems like it’s barely a thing. Aftermarket wheel options are really limited, it doesn’t even look like Roval makes them. I had alloy wheels on my Roubaix before going carbon and other than climbing, I’ve not really noticed a huge benefit in ride quality, so maybe I won’t feel the need to upgrade.

What do you guys think? Is my concern about aftermarket wheel options overblown? Right now that is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. It sounds like overall the Creo is a great e-bike, I just don’t want to end up with something that has an obsolete “standard”.

You'll have no issue finding 12x148 rear hubs. You will be limited on 12x110, but DT Swiss makes them, so...

Anyway if I'm getting an e-bike for a commute, it's going to be limited to 28mph anyway. I'd probably just get something more utility.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 10, 2023

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Heliosicle posted:

Also a new version of the CX/MX241 (CX242) with the boas and slightly different design.

I ordered a pair of the mx241's for cheap since I like the road version

My new CX238s just arrived :)

A local online retailer has had the page for the wide model up for weeks, but the regular model fits me best. That one's not listed but I found out that if I changed the URL, it did load the page so I've been checking it daily. They said they'd have the regular model in by early March. Lake themselves said some time this month. Then, last night, I loaded the unlisted page and suddenly there was a single pair in stock, in exactly my size. I don't know whether to feel :ninja: or pathetic

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 10, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Exchanged my PNS kit for a jersey that isn't poo colored and I love it now.

Buying cycling kit is apparently my version of buying cute dresses.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 10, 2023

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

LordOfThePants posted:

There are converters from standard wheels to boost. 6bolt and centerlock.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mikemelbrooks posted:

There are converters from standard wheels to boost. 6bolt and centerlock.

Do you still have to redish the wheel? Like how do you get both the cassette and rotor in the right places going from 135 to 148 (instead of 142)?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

kimbo305 posted:

Do you still have to redish the wheel? Like how do you get both the cassette and rotor in the right places going from 135 to 148 (instead of 142)?

They are for 142 hubs Actually some kits use one 6mm space and need redishing, some kits use two 3mm spacers and need the derrailer adjusting.

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 10, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jestery posted:

My new toy

Going to turn it into a convertible cargo tandem

i want to see this

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Exchanged my PNS kit for a jersey that isn't poo colored and I love it now.

Buying cycling kit is apparently my version of buying cute dresses.

I get this. My latest acquisition is a winter set that I got for 80% off from Baleaf. Basically, it's a thermal cycling-specific glorified jogging suit under which I'll wear a base layer and cycling shorts. It arrived today, and it fits. I was worried about the fit because I ordered Large, and the jerseys and shorts I've gotten from them in that size are always tight. This is meant to be an outer layer instead, and it's perfect.

I want to get something colorful from NeoPro, too. And whatever that company is with all the really loud plaid stuff modeled by an older tattooed gentleman with a gray beard.

I never wanted to wear bright colors until I started cycling.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I scored a nice discount on an eliel jersey in a wild bright gradient and I can't wait for it to warm enough to wear it

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i got a discount code for le col and immediately set about choosing exactly £50 worth of stuff so i would only have to pay for shipping only to find that the minimum spend for the code to work was £125 so now i've decided to swear off cycling clothes. you'll only ever see me cycling in jeans and dress shirts. maybe flip flops too

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i got a discount code for le col and immediately set about choosing exactly £50 worth of stuff so i would only have to pay for shipping only to find that the minimum spend for the code to work was £125 so now i've decided to swear off cycling clothes. you'll only ever see me cycling in jeans and dress shirts. maybe flip flops too

Le Col codes are everywhere all the time. They’re not going to give you free stuff.

Le Col is just about acceptable with a hefty discount, but still not really cheap, ever. Rapha sales are better value, and I’ve a bunch of nice jerseys from brands like Santini, Endura that I got for incredibly cheap in sales.

Go look on bikesy.co.uk, a sometimes useful deal aggregator.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Made an "emergency" visit to a bike shop on my ride today to get some chain lube. Went through a really wet and sandy section and it replaced everything on the chain with sand, the noise was horrific.

Usually rock n roll blue is fine on my MTB, but think SRAM rival has tighter tolerances or something so the crunching was way worse. There was this high pitched noise from the RD too, think just due to dirt caught between the cage and pulley wheels.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Heliosicle posted:

There was this high pitched noise from the RD too, think just due to dirt caught between the cage and pulley wheels.

I've only heard this once when I unintentionally took my definitely-not-a-gravel bike down a long brutal gravel road, it did it all the way home and I wanted to die, felt so bad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I used to use Green Oil but I mostly ride on crushed limestone and the amount of gunk that stuff would pick up was unreal, basically a trip through the ultrasonic cleaner after every ride. I switched to Mucc-Off and that's way better about not turning my chain into a crusty dog turd.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I got a mini crock pot for $4 at a thrift store and have started waxing my chains. Seems to work good. Keeps chain and drivetrain a lot cleaner and lasts longer than standard lubes. Previously I've used rock and roll and dumond tech. Did the cx bike in the fall, raced it a few times and rode in the wet/snow a few times, then a couple times last week. Friday I went on some wet roads and trails and it got really grimey and after I hosed off the bike it had just started squeaking so I gave it a re-application with some squirt drip wax lube so I'll see how long that holds up and then just re-wax the chain at some point soon. MTB, new MTB, and trainer bike also all got waxed chains plus I did a spare for the new bike. Road bike is all that needs one now and that will get a new chain soon so I'll do it then.

Hardest part is getting the chain clean in the first place. I've been scrubbing them in the solvent tank at the shop, then putting it in a little jar of isopropyl alcohol and swirling it around and letting it soak for a bit, then rinsing, then drying with compressed air and letting hang dry for a bit before waxing.

Basically your chain looks like this all the time

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 11, 2023

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
The wax talk reminds me of a question I had. Let’s say you had a chain with squirt on it and someone unaware of this put regular lube on it. I’m assuming it’s back to square one at that point?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i want to see this

I'm viewing it less as a tandem and more a road bike that can take 50-100 kg of cargo and can carry a person

It will be a few months, but I think my plan is sound

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

zerofunk posted:

The wax talk reminds me of a question I had. Let’s say you had a chain with squirt on it and someone unaware of this put regular lube on it. I’m assuming it’s back to square one at that point?

Yep

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

jamal posted:

I got a mini crock pot for $4 at a thrift store and have started waxing my chains.
What kind of wax do you use?

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

wooger posted:

Rapha sales are better value

to this day i still sometimes feel my blood boil when i think about how i forgot to buy one of those rapha x palace musettes

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
i got absolute black because it was the only thing in stock at the time. Hear molten speed wax and the silca stuff are the way to go but also all forms of waxing should be pretty close so I'm not sure it matters too much. Like you could just use straight parrafin and I think it'd be fine and cheaper. But also I haven't watched all 437 hours of zero friction's youtube videos.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
$2 worth of paraffin wax from the grocery store works great for me. I added some beeswax to it because I had some, but I think it only makes it smell a little better.

jamal posted:

Basically your chain looks like this all the time

This right here is the poo poo.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 12, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Wax was the single best upgrade of 2022 for me

Truly incredible how little dirt and grunge it accumulates

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

taqueso posted:

What kind of wax do you use?

"food grade" paraffin can be found in the canning section of a supermarket or in a art/craft shop for like US$4. YMMV in other regions.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3szJ67iM1E

lol

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
I'm 40....I've gone back to uni to change careers, I have a wife and 2 kids. I've got a road bike and now a mountain bike. I just want to ride bikes every day.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Sticky Date posted:

I'm 40....I've gone back to uni to change careers, I have a wife and 2 kids. I've got a road bike and now a mountain bike. I just want to ride bikes every day.

This right here is the truth. It’s not the only thing I want, but it’s definitely a thing I want. It is a large part of why I bike commute, even through miserable winters. 30-40 min total biking, even in weather, is better than not getting to bike.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I picked up that Turbo Creo SL on Thursday, weather was total garbage until today when we had a nice sunny day. Quite cold outside, but I really wanted to get a test ride in, so I bundled up and did a quick 12 miles. I had planned on going further but it became apparent that I was not dressed for riding in sub-freezing temperatures.

First impressions - I was a little worried about road riding a 1x bike, but it's actually fine. I had the bike in "Turbo" mode for the full ride and used 45% of the battery. I am definitely going to need to get the range extender (or another charger for the office) if I commute to work on the bike. I am sure my substantial mass also contributed to the lack of range. Once you're up to speed, it's indistinguishable from riding a regular road bike. It felt like riding my Roubaix until I looked down at my Garmin and saw I was going 3-4mph faster than I would typically. In Turbo mode, accelerating from a stop is hilariously fast. The motor cutout when you get over 28mph feels a little weird but I think I'll eventually get used to it.

Definitely a fun bike. Looking forward to lots of commuting miles on it this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

did a quick 12 miles.

I had the bike in "Turbo" mode for the full ride and used 45% of the battery. I am definitely going to need to get the range extender (or another charger for the office) if I commute to work on the bike.

In Turbo mode, accelerating from a stop is hilariously fast.

You should do a trial run of the commute at a less aggressive assist level. Accelerating from stops takes a lot of energy. Will you be able to charge at work?