Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I got my sewer line scoped today due to having several backups over a 3 month period. Apparently when this home was connected to a modern sewer system they just ... stuck the cast iron house pipe inside the terra cotta sewer pipe. No seal, no joining method. Just pipe in pipe with dirt to close the 4" to 8" diameter transition.

Over the years, the tree directly above this transition has lovingly sent crazy amounts of roots into this gap. And since its at a transition point it can't be cleared out by the typical sewer snake roto-blade thing. Guess I'm looking at a $5-digit dig up.

How comfortable are you shaving this bill down by doing the digging yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah this seems like a job where most of the labour cost is menial stuff you can do yourself - maybe try and find an older contractor who can't be hosed digging all day and ask him to tell you what to do to make it as easy as possible?

I had to do something similar to dig up a water main line in my backyard. Took me 4 hours with a pick and a shovel but eventually I got a perfectly square hole where the leak was so they just had to come and shove a joiner in with proper sealant and have it inspected by the council and fill in a hole. Went from a 2 man job for 5 hours (call out, 10 hours labour, parts) to one bloke and a call out fee.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

GD_American posted:

Chernobyl seems good but my appetite for depressing TV has rapidly dwindled. Last of Us seems borderline there.

Chernobyl was heavy but overall I thought it was actually pretty uplifting, oddly. Like yeah, the main guy offs himself and lots of people die because of general incompetence, but the tenacity and bravery shown by so many people in the immediate aftermath is really highlighted.

(Do not watch if fictional dogs getting hurt is going to affect you deeply)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GD_American posted:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

As having worked in a trade industry a big part of quotes is often "gently caress I do not want to stand in the sun doing that poo poo for 5 hours, add a couple hundred bucks to the quote to make it worth my while, I don't want to do this".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you're absolutely right of course. And part of the deal here is that when excavating a sewer line, unless you're absolutely sure you know exactly where the line is, you can't just go ham with a backhoe, there's a fair amount of manual shoveling to be done regardless. Often manual shoveling in dirt saturated in decades of human piss and poo poo slowly leaking out of a hosed up old sewer pipe.

For me? Personally? If it was a small job I'd get some throwaway boots and overalls etc. and do it myself, but anything a contractor would be asking, say, $5k+ for is a much bigger job than I think I can "help with" in any capacity. Add in that this could require pulling permits where I live, and I get even more hesitant.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

Not even remotely.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Not saying to do so, but permits only matter if someone comes to inspect and even then at least here you don't have to let them into your home. I made the police make an appointment when they showed up unannounced to inspect my weapon storage.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

BlindSite posted:

As having worked in a trade industry a big part of quotes is often "gently caress I do not want to stand in the sun doing that poo poo for 5 hours, add a couple hundred bucks to the quote to make it worth my while, I don't want to do this".

The guy giving the estimate says they prefer to do it in the dead of winter because the soil here is sandy and its easier if the first few feet are frozen.

Honestly I'm not too concerned about the price tag. It's more that they said they would also need to remove a tree in my front yard which I am pretty sure is the only thing preventing my yard from eroding onto the sidewalk. Also trees are nice.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The guy giving the estimate says they prefer to do it in the dead of winter because the soil here is sandy and its easier if the first few feet are frozen.

Honestly I'm not too concerned about the price tag. It's more that they said they would also need to remove a tree in my front yard which I am pretty sure is the only thing preventing my yard from eroding onto the sidewalk. Also trees are nice.

Yeah that does suck. Sorry for your troubles mate. If you do get something that sounds weird in an estimate though, post about it. There's enough of us in the thread who've worked in trade industries who can probably see through some bullshit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My ex-wife and I had to have a tree removed because its roots had gotten into our house's main line.

I was happy to pay the bill after cleaning up from a flooded basement. (We kept the cats' litterboxes next to the laundry machines. Holy God, the stench.)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

My ex-wife and I had to have a tree removed because its roots had gotten into our house's main line.

I was happy to pay the bill after cleaning up from a flooded basement. (We kept the cats' litterboxes next to the laundry machines. Holy God, the stench.)

Same deal here except it hasn't been so bad since the backups always happen due to shower and/or dishwasher so the backflow is fairly clean except for some weird black oily substance. Still very unpleasant to encounter and clean up.

BlindSite posted:

Yeah that does suck. Sorry for your troubles mate. If you do get something that sounds weird in an estimate though, post about it. There's enough of us in the thread who've worked in trade industries who can probably see through some bullshit.

Appreciate it, thanks.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BlindSite posted:

I signed up to start doing kickboxing and mma again 3 times a week. 35 in march, haven't trained in 5 years but I feel like a 5 year old I'm so excited to get back on the mats and start training again.

Your roni lungs gonna be good with that?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Wow, the new Velma is absolutely terrible

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Watched some clips and man it looks like they missed the like previous 40 years of parody somehow. Like drat, compare that to the version from that one Venture Bros. episode.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Yup and also there's like two whole subforums for this kinda thing, and a bunch of friendly regs (and also Motronic) over there with tons of experience. The fix it fast thread in Hobbies, Crafts, Houses is great for quick questions, the BFC house ownership thread gets a lot of people with problems & solutions from a money angle and Home zone is the go-to in HCH for full on house reno, repair, deep in the poo poo project posts and help.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GD_American posted:

Wow, the new Velma is absolutely terrible

I saw some stuff on Twitter and it looked dire.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

Your roni lungs gonna be good with that?

Yeah mate, back to 100%. Went for a swim this morning - like doing laps for fitness and did some weights and feel good and strong and stuff.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

I saw some stuff on Twitter and it looked dire.

like this?

https://twitter.com/Stupacabra/status/1613556384817184768

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Why is this a thing?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yes that was it. loving awful.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Not gonna lie, I thought this Velma show had already come and gone, or been canned during the WB Discovery drama at the end of last year.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

We've already had more meta Scooby-Doo series too, just not as outright mean spirited, so it's not like it's an original concept for a show.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Friends, I’ve got the sads today for some reason.

And those snips from Velma have only made it worse.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m watching John Wick, so can I recommend getting a dog to help? It worked for him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here ya go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJHCsFOcDjY

livestream of kittens, this outfit rescues pregnant ferals and rehabs them in a home on cam and then gets them adopted

this poo poo is high-grade mood enhancing drugs

e. that one's on rerun right now actually, this one is live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJVaTa4CubI

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

https://twitter.com/gschnakenberg/status/1611746618906234881?s=46&t=mFztyKT71S7pACwwsH0Utg

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Infinitely better.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

love it

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Forgot how good the O’Brother soundtrack was, buzzed and blasting bluegrass

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thank you friends :)

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Finally got to catch up and watch Glass Onion tonight, and think I agree with what a lot of others said here about the first being better, but it was still very entertaining. I think that what worked so well in the first was the framing of Blanc as potentially an antagonist to Marta, before his character is reframed sometime in the middle of the movie. There’s a similar character change in this one but it isn’t as strong. It’s still pretty well done though and I think I would watch Craig read the phone book as Benoit Blanc at this point.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
*Remember Me starts playing*

https://twitter.com/supergtworld/status/1613696929937891330?t=thsP206x1veD39KToqlkDA&s=19

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ohhhhhhhhh man, yeah. Yup. I was never a toyota head or anything but that design is a serious nostalgia hit, straight in the hindbrain.

e. of course they could never sell them here. The belt line is too low to have effective side impact bars, the bumpers wouldn't pass modern pedestrian impact safety requirements, etc. etc. it's just not a possible design for today. But it's nice to dream.

I'd prefer a contemporary scirocco, of course

this is the car I always wanted but never got, the one that got away. They're stupid expensive now, and of course outdated and way more dangerous than any modern car and my wife wouldn't want one and I can't justify it in any way. But if I ever get even modestly rich somehow, I'm gonna get a nice garage and park a mid 80s scirocco in

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 14, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

e. of course they could never sell them here. The belt line is too low to have effective side impact bars, the bumpers wouldn't pass modern pedestrian impact safety requirements, etc. etc. it's just not a possible design for today. But it's nice to dream.

Don’t need to sell the whole new car if you can just sell conversion kits for the existing (surviving?) ones.

Apparently the Hydrogen one has the few engine mods needed to burn that H2, and uses a tank or two that they also use in the Mirai cars, so it’s probably good for a few hundred miles of range.

The EV one is borrowing a battery and motor from one of Toyota’s hybrids so it might not be too fast or have great range, but I absolutely want to do that in the future with some ‘80s or ‘90s classic. They have the electric motor going into the existing transmission, which means some power loss but they keep the clutch and five-speed.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I miss my bug, 2.5 drop in all 4
corners, taking every turn at 40 second gear screaming. Beside my truck with with 9 inches of lift

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 14, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

give me an EV version of this

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Make a hybrid Tacoma or 4Runner already you cowards!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Pretend I posted a picture of my dream bright orange ‘72 Datsun 240Z that I most certainly drove more than once and definitely did not sell to pointlessly go move two hours away to live with a manipulative girlfriend and to save a meaningless relationship that failed in six months anyway. I want that car back!!!

Anyway, I got my fantasy football revenge last night. We played poker and I sat next to the guy that kicked me out of the championship game and he won the first straight five hands and was up a ton on everyone. His famous last words were leaning over to me and whispering “Thanks for all the chips T-Square” as we were upping the ante back and forth with a couple of other players, and then I immediately won the hand and continued to take his money until he was out :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’d kill for an EV version of my first car.