Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Renegret posted:

Just consider it a dodged bullet.

In like a week they'll try to reschedule again and you just say no.

This is the plan :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I had that exact same thing happen to me before. A recruiter who rescheduled on me, then ghosted me, and showed up a week later to try again. I didn't even bother responding.

It made me swear off Robert Half as a whole forever. gently caress that guy for wasting my time and the blatant disrespect.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

BUT THEY HAVE AN APP NOW!!!!

the recruiters there very recently stopped talking to me when i told them i would not be installing their app and loading my information into it

"i have these great opportunities in hand i want i talk with you about! install the app so you can see the job descriptions!"

maybe just send me the refs if you're so excited to be representing me?? maybe??

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Renegret posted:

I had that exact same thing happen to me before. A recruiter who rescheduled on me, then ghosted me, and showed up a week later to try again. I didn't even bother responding.

It made me swear off Robert Half as a whole forever. gently caress that guy for wasting my time and the blatant disrespect.

My last interaction with Robert Half was going in after being called by a recruiter and the conversation went like this:

Him: So what are you looking for?
Me: Well, I've been doing desktop support for a while but I'd like to get into server stuff.
Him: Oh, I see. And what are you looking to make?
Me: Maybe 25 an hour, at least 20, which is what my last job paid.
Him: Based on your experience I don't think 20 is realistic.
Me: Ok, but I mean I was being paid that for the past two years though.
Him: I'm going to leave and send in a different guy who handles people more at your level.

Then I went elsewhere and got a job paying about 26 an hour.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
with how many bridges robert half has burned i am surprised they are still in operation.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Cool Dad posted:

Him: Based on your experience I don't think 20 is realistic.

"giving you $20 an hour would reduce my cut of the $100/hour rate we're paid"

wargames posted:

with how many bridges robert half has burned i am surprised they are still in operation.

peeps desperate for their ticket out of a public-facing call center or the endless purgatory of no job because no experience GOTO 10 are a continually self-renewing market

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I got a help desk job years ago from RH, and they were just awful to work with, never again. The company I was working with ended up ditching them as a recruiter after my 6 month contract to hire term was over with because they were so lovely to work with.

Thanks Ants posted:

Congrats. Not appearing desperate for the job is probably a positive.

Going into interviews when you dont need the job with a take it or leave it attitude is absolutely beneficial. The best interviews end up being back and forth conversations and going in with a relaxed attitude definitely helps that.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Ugh that was a thing.

I started off the interview by accidentally insulting the interviewer for having had frosted tips as a teenager.

Then, in this interview for an IT Manager position, a position in which they specifically mention leading a team, it's revealed that there is no team and it's a solo shop.

Who the gently caress am I managing then, Sugar Ray?

I am zero percent interested in running a solo shop again. I DID MY TIME

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Frosty Witch posted:

I started off the interview by accidentally insulting the interviewer for having had frosted tips as a teenager.

lmao, but also bullet dodged

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

A Frosty Witch posted:

Who the gently caress am I managing then, Sugar Ray?

Who wants to know?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Kurieg posted:

Who wants to know?

:dadjoke:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

A Frosty Witch posted:

I am zero percent interested in running a solo shop again. I DID MY TIME

Been there, done that, would do it again for the right salary*

*at least double what I’m getting now as a L2 support guy for BIG PHARMA

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I keep getting random recruiters hitting me for on-site desktop support and it just makes me want to whack my LinkedIn entirely if it didn't occasionally provide a little bit of usefulness.

Yes, I worked helpdesk. At the very start of my career. 25 years ago.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The random dumb recruiter crap just comes with the territory. If its the majority of job offers youre getting though, than your profile probably needs work.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The random dumb recruiter crap just comes with the territory. If its the majority of job offers youre getting though, than your profile probably needs work.

It's definitely a minority, but still annoyingly frequent.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
*sitting on an outage call*

Hey I see *engineer* made a config change last night. There's nothing wrong with the change. There's no reason it should impact this. The change has nothing to do with the problem we're having and is on a completely different piece of equipment. There is absolutely no relationship at all.

...This dude is cursed as hell I'm gonna roll it back anyway.

...Hey everyone resolution time is....now.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Me (in November): Hey [customer], Aurora MySQL 5.6 is EoL on February 28, 2023. Can we talk about you plans to mitigate this issue?

Me (in December): Hey [customer], Aurora MySQL is gong EoL at the end of February. Can we talk about your plans to migrate away from Aurora MySQL version 1?

Me (mid-December): Hey [customer], you have over a thousand instances in three hundred clusters that will be automatically upgraded to MySQL 5.7 during their next maintenance window after February 28, 2023 unless you migrate it ahead of time. You probably want to migrate your 300 clusters ahead of time so you can control the outage. Can we talk about this?

Me (last week): Hey customer, here is a spreadsheet of all of the instances and clusters that will be automatically upgraded on the next maintenance window after February 28, 2023.

Customer (Today): WHAT?!?!?!?!?! This is the first we are hearing about this. How come no one told us about this earlier?!?!?!

Me (Today): *produces the email thread containing two and a half months of unanswered warnings and inquiries that includes my boss and skip levels.*

:feelsgood:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I hope you included a :smug: at the end of the chain

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Not at the end of the email chain but you better believe I was smug af in every slack chat I had with coworkers asking what happened.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Me (in November): Hey [customer], Aurora MySQL 5.6 is EoL on February 28, 2023. Can we talk about you plans to mitigate this issue?

Me (in December): Hey [customer], Aurora MySQL is gong EoL at the end of February. Can we talk about your plans to migrate away from Aurora MySQL version 1?

Me (mid-December): Hey [customer], you have over a thousand instances in three hundred clusters that will be automatically upgraded to MySQL 5.7 during their next maintenance window after February 28, 2023 unless you migrate it ahead of time. You probably want to migrate your 300 clusters ahead of time so you can control the outage. Can we talk about this?

Me (last week): Hey customer, here is a spreadsheet of all of the instances and clusters that will be automatically upgraded on the next maintenance window after February 28, 2023.

Customer (Today): WHAT?!?!?!?!?! This is the first we are hearing about this. How come no one told us about this earlier?!?!?!

Me (Today): *produces the email thread containing two and a half months of unanswered warnings and inquiries that includes my boss and skip levels.*

:feelsgood:

Not to be an rear end in a top hat but did you guys pick up the phone and call them at any point? People don't read emails

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
nothing here

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 14, 2023

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

bell jar posted:

Not to be an rear end in a top hat but did you guys pick up the phone and call them at any point? People don't read emails

What? People ignore phone calls and voice mails all the time. If they can't bother to read their emails after multiple attempts to reach out that shits on them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also if you're running critical workloads on AWS and are big enough to have 300 clusters then it's sort of on you to read their blog now and again or look at the mailing list, maybe even respond to your account manager when they try and get your attention.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

bell jar posted:

If you don't work for my company, I don't care that you "don't read emails." Sending you four emails in a two-month period is the maximum I'm going to give a poo poo about. If you don't read them, that's on you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, if you aren't going to read emails then delete your mailbox so at least it bounces

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

bell jar posted:

Whooooo boy. Let’s get into this, shall we?

For brevity, I left out all the contacts, but oh my yes did we reach out.

We contacted them via email.

We reached out on slack.

We spoke with them directly during our weekly stand ups.

The actual problem we face is that the people we interact with in the daily don’t report to their superiors about operational issues due to a culture of pass-the-blame. [Customer] has a toxic culture of assigning blame rather than being solution focused and we’ve literally been in conference calls during customer outages during which production was on fire and yet eight people on the customer side argued about whose fault it was while we listened awkwardly and tried to redirect the conversation towards fixing the problem.

In this case the biggest challenge was notifying customer leadership of this situation without letting that leadership know that all of their reports knew of this and didn’t say anything. Hence i get to send emails directly to leadership because we never get to talk to leadership directly. They just. aren’t. interested.

Again: I’m trying to notify leadership of this situation, not start a witch hunt to assign blame while Rome burns. It’ll come out eventually that their reports knew, but I’m not going to be the one to throw people under the bus because the people are my contacts and we can’t afford to alienate them.

On Thursday I replaced the aging ASUS WAPs in my house with a modern mesh system and that was the most technical thing I did all week.

I spend most of my work day navigating challenging customer landscapes and having difficult conversations with a customer who doesn’t want to acknowledge that we are here to help. For whatever reason we have not been able to convince the customer that we have literal millions of person-years of cloud experience and our best practices are a direct result of that experience. When we suggest following our best practices it’s because we know what the gently caress we are talking about.

But no. I get to play e-mail games.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 14, 2023

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Whooooo boy. Let’s get into this, shall we?

For brevity, I left out all the contacts, but oh my yes did we reach out.

We contacted them via email.

We reached out on slack.

We spoke with them directly during our weekly stand ups.

The actual problem we face is that the people we interact with in the daily don’t report to their superiors about operational issues due to a culture of pass-the-blame. [Customer] has a toxic culture of assigning blame rather than being solution focused and we’ve literally been in conference calls during customer outages during which production was on fire and yet eight people on the customer side argued about whose fault it was while we listened awkwardly and tried to redirect the conversation towards fixing the problem.

In this case the biggest challenge was notifying customer leadership of this situation without letting that leadership know that all of their reports knew of this and didn’t say anything. Hence i get to send emails directly to leadership because we never get to talk to leadership directly. They just. aren’t. interested.

Again: I’m trying to notify leadership of this situation, not start a witch hunt to assign blame while Rome burns. It’ll come out eventually that their reports knew, but I’m not going to be the one to throw people under the bus because the people are my contacts and we can’t afford to alienate them.

On Thursday I replaced the aging ASUS WAPs in my house with a modern mesh system and that was the most technical thing I did all week.

I spend most of my work day navigating challenging customer landscapes and having difficult conversations with a customer who doesn’t want to acknowledge that we are here to help. For whatever reason we have not been able to convince the customer that we have literal millions of person-years of cloud experience and our best practices are a direct result of that experience. When we suggest following our best practices it’s because we know what the gently caress we are talking about.

But no. I get to play e-mail games.

Yeah, hell yeah. I've seen a lot of people play the pass the buck game (used to be like that myself) but honestly being willing to pick up the phone and talk to someone if there's a problem really changed my outlook on this type of thing. If they're unresponsive from that point, that's on them. I've lost count of the amount of customers I've dealt with that were completely unresponsive to increasingly urgent emails but suddenly cared a lot if you actually talked to them, but there are absolutely going to be toxic company cultures that encourage people not to give a poo poo.

bell jar fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 15, 2023

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The previous thread is not in the GoldMine, where do I file the bug report?

e: vvvv loving lol

kensei fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 15, 2023

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I sent an email to lowtax about it. Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

:drat:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

A Frosty Witch posted:

I can't not acknowledge this. loving lol.

drat, woman. 😂

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

bell jar posted:

That’s their problem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A Frosty Witch posted:

I won't be in front of a computer for a few days, but I'd really like to make some version of this the thread title. Just amazing.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

A Frosty Witch posted:

i fucken love this website

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bargearse posted:

That’s their problem.
Agreed. I'm a hybrid technical consultant / project manager and I pretty much only email or talk to people on pre-scheduled calls. I don't call people. Part of why I dont call people is because I dont want people having my (corporate) phone number. I dont want people outside my organization to have my number because if they do, they abuse it and call me. Some people decided that it would be a good idea to call me like 8 times in an hour about something innocuous or something they knew was not my responsibility, all while I'm on a pre-scheduled call; I have had to block these people and not pick up new projects with them. This lovely behavior ruined it for everyone else and I'm not afraid to tell people about it and follow it up with "just email me, I've got you".

If you cannot be assed to respond to my email I'll happily throw you under the bus when everyone else involved in the project is waiting on your bitch rear end because you were too loving lazy to read your goddamned emails. I get rave reviews from our customers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 16, 2023

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I absolutely agree. If we were talking end users, then of course you can't assume they read every email you send. They have other work to do and probably wish IT would just leave them alone. I have much higher expectations of the people who work with me directly.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Internet Explorer posted:

I won't be in front of a computer for a few days, but I'd really like to make some version of this the thread title. Just amazing.

[SPAM] FW: RE: Ticket escalated to Lowtax, awaiting agent response

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

[SPAM] FW: RE: Ticket escalated to Lowtax, awaiting agent response

[SPAM] FW: RE: Ticket escalated to Lowtax, awaiting agent response FINAL - DO NOT USE (3)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Turned down for every job so far. At least I'm consistent :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a post on the job fair thread with a link to my orgs job board, see if there's anything in there that looks good to you