Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1613226949249503234

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is 'George Santos' an unscrupulous scoundrel that is actually representative of the entire GOP?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Air Force plane stuck under highway overpass in Florida.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Probably en route to eglin. Couldnt fly it because it has no wings!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/DallasZoo/status/1613934047452925953

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fortunately the large cat the size of a small cat has been found and recovered.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DallasZoo/status/1613934252969660435
I know they're not exactly lions or tigers, but I'm not sure I'd consider a clouded leopard a "non-dangerous" animal.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Knormal posted:

I know they're not exactly lions or tigers, but I'm not sure I'd consider a clouded leopard a "non-dangerous" animal.

you dont care for facepaint do ya

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
DALLAS (AP) — Dallas Zoo officials said Friday that a missing clouded leopard was found after a daylong search. Evidence was found that the fence of the small cat’s habitat had been “intentionally” cut, police said.

The zoo tweeted that the cat named Nova, who weighs about 20-25 pounds (9-11 kilograms), did not appear injured and was found near her original habitat. The search had closed Texas’ largest zoo to visitors while staff and police combed the 100-acre (40-hectare) grounds.

The zoo announced that Nova had been found just moments after a news conference in which police said a criminal investigation had been opened. Police and zoo officials said they have reviewed surveillance footage but would not say what it showed or whether there were potential suspects.

“It is our belief that this was an intentional act,” Dallas Police Sgt. Warren Mitchell said.

Mitchell said Dallas police at first dispatched SWAT officers to the zoo, not understanding the size of a clouded leopard. Police drones helped search the zoo grounds, including trees. Harrison Edell, executive vice president of animal care and conservation at the Dallas Zoo, said clouded leopards like to climb.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/1613849838596112385

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

Mitchell said Dallas police at first dispatched SWAT officers to the zoo
They thought it was a panther

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Hygiene posted:

Crazy after it's been out for so long, but nice to see they're still supporting WWII with occasional loot drops and such
There's also been a lot of new nazi content.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

https://twitter.com/sinbinvegas/status/1614110731846447104

quote:

Lehner was first linked to snakes back in 2017 when he reportedly purchased a collection of exotic snakes for $1.2 million. Renick agreed to sell his snakes, ball pythons and anacondas, to NHL goalie Robin Lehner in early 2017 for $1.2 million. Lehner would pay Renick in quarterly installments of $200,000 throughout the year. Lehner made one such payment in February 2017. The man mentioned, Ben Renick, was murdered in June 2017 by his wife Lynlee Renick who was subsequently found guilty of the charges and sentenced to 16 years in prison. According to KMIZ, following Renick’s death, a lawsuit was filed against Lehner in 2018 after he stopped making payments for the snakes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

ressssssume the paymentssss you sssslimy ssserpent ssspawn!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Looking forward to next week's article, "No, I am."

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Knormal posted:

That's adult size, so I wouldn't say they're dangerous to humans. Hope they're able to find them soon.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A raccoon is smaller than that and it'd gently caress you up. It's like the don't fight cats thing.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Took me 3 takes to realise that she's using a walking frame, and hasn't been fenced off (presumably for dramatic effect).

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

MagpieConcept posted:

That's adult size, so I wouldn't say they're dangerous to humans. Hope they're able to find them soon.

Do you just not understand cats? Have you never had a cat? Mine is like 8lb 16+ years old, can and will gently caress me up. Add 20lb and stress?

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Desert Bus posted:

Do you just not understand cats? Have you never had a cat? Mine is like 8lb 16+ years old, can and will gently caress me up. Add 20lb and stress?

What I'm saying is a clouded leopard isn't going to go out eating children, not "restraining a panicked animal would hurt you". This is about public safety specifically, not in regards to the safety of those trying to restrain it. I feel like I'm getting misinterpreted here.

E: For additional clarity, this is specifically about the comment of the zoo specifying the animal is not dangerous to the public, which is true unless you're trying to grab it with your bare hands.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A panicked sloth could gently caress you up if handled wrong.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Also apologies for contributing to a derail, that's my bad for not being more clear about what I was saying.

Here's a neat and short one about lizards evolving to deal with urban environments.

I vaguely remember a similar article involving a moth that was getting more gray patterns to blend in with concrete.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sure but I don't think it's necessary to call in a SWAT team for a sloth.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

MagpieConcept posted:

Also apologies for contributing to a derail, that's my bad for not being more clear about what I was saying.

Here's a neat and short one about lizards evolving to deal with urban environments.

I vaguely remember a similar article involving a moth that was getting more gray patterns to blend in with concrete.

Apparently invasive Chameleons collected from Florida for the pet trade are a lot more hardy than most native WC or even CB, which is kind of neat?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/chameleons-ranching-florida-invasives-pets

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Jan 14, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

It wasn't necessary for the leopard either. They went home after cosplaying around and wasting some government money, before the cat was found

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Knormal posted:

https://twitter.com/DallasZoo/status/1613934252969660435
Counterpoint: look at this kitty!

MagpieConcept posted:

The peppered moth evolved to blend in with increased pollution due to the industrial revolution.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Foxfire_ posted:

It wasn't necessary for the leopard either. They went home after cosplaying around and wasting some government money, before the cat was found

Yes, my point was that was unnecessary.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MagpieConcept posted:

The Mote in Gods Eye has a neat bit about animals that evolved to live in ruined cities, I always felt that was an underdeveloped concept in science fiction.

Semi-related, western cats are becoming increasingly lactose tolerant purely because we keep insisting they love milk and forcing it on them.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Splicer posted:

The Mote in Gods Eye has a neat bit about animals that evolved to live in ruined cities, I always felt that was an underdeveloped concept in science fiction.

Semi-related, western cats are becoming increasingly lactose tolerant purely because we keep insisting they love milk and forcing it on them.

Tbf, they do love to lap up milk despite the intolerance

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Tbf so do people

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Baron von Eevl posted:

The SWAT team was probably actually helpful because they will have access to a lot of surveillance equipment like drones and thermal imaging to help spot the cat. That's important this time of year when Dallas is covered in a thick layer of snow that will help the snow leopard blend in.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/bbwxt20/status/1613931288049614849

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The weinermobiles are already pretty fun, but they'd be amazing if Oscar Meyer had the drivers use the fleet in stunt races and such.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So I know they want bright, peppy young people to do this and be charming but honestly the brand should be me: an overweight, balding, middle-aged man with an elderly small dog and a drinking problem. "You like hot dogs? Eh, that's nice. Me too." That sort of energy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/nojumper/status/1613414252991369216

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Of course the people involved in the porking were fired, the police is an institution of violence and not love.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It was because they did it at the station while on duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Clouded leopard Nova reunited with sister; cut fence found in Dallas Zoo monkey enclosure

Nova, the clouded leopard found on Dallas Zoo grounds after an hours-long search that spurred a criminal investigation, was reunited with her sister Saturday, and police said a cut fence similar to the one she escaped from was discovered on a habitat for a small species of monkeys.

The 4-year-old cat was reported missing Friday morning from an enclosure authorities believe was intentionally cut open. The zoo announced it had closed at 10:20 a.m. following a “code blue,” or an alert issued when non-dangerous animals are unaccounted for, but police records indicate officers were dispatched to the zoo about 7:20 a.m.

With the help of drone equipment from the Dallas and Irving police departments, Nova was found not far from the habitat she shares with her sister, Luna, at 4:40 p.m. and safely secured about 35 minutes later.

“As we had predicted, she found a good hiding spot, settled in and as we got closer to dusk, came out to explore,” Harrison Edell, the zoo’s executive vice president for animal care and conservation, said Saturday.

Clouded leopards — named for the large, cloudlike spots that cover their bodies — are only a few feet long, weigh about 20 to 25 pounds, and do not pose a danger to humans. However, Edell said Nova was “pretty nervous” when she was found, so the zoo’s veterinary staff had to sedate her.

“We had a chance then to give her a physical exam, which is always a great idea when an animal has been in a new space,” he said. “Physically, she looks great.”

The sedatives wore off around 8 p.m. Friday and Nova was taken back into her repaired enclosure Saturday morning.

“She’s napping,” Edell said. “She had a long day. It’s quite the adventure.”

Sgt. Warren Mitchell, a Dallas police spokesman, confirmed Friday afternoon that police opened a criminal investigation into the leopard’s disappearance and said the department believes the tear found in the mesh was an “intentional act.”

Police said late Saturday that investigators determined the hole in Nova’s enclosure was made with a “cutting tool.” Zoo personnel later found and directed investigators to a similar cut at the habitat for the zoo’s langur monkeys.

“However, all langurs were still inside their habitat and did not appear to be harmed or in any danger,” police said. Police could not confirm whether the two incidents are related, and both investigations remain ongoing.

When asked whether officials believe the cut was made by an employee or a guest, Edell said it was “really tough to say at this point,” adding that the zoo is leaving the investigation to Dallas police, who they “will continue to support the best we can.”

According to Edell, the zoo has already made short-term changes to overnight security schedules, but said he knows “we have some homework to do to figure out what long-term plans look like.”

“We’ll try to learn everything we can from this instance, adapt what we do and try to make sure that we have the strongest protocols in place in the future,” Edell said.