Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

also, I found some of these extremely amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61tU9Bu6Xg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Out of curiosity, did you get the secret ending, Seventh Arrow? It's the perfect opportunity to go back to the start and replay Codename 47! :v: Overall though, I still kinda prefer some of the earlier maps like Sapienza, but yeah, as American McGay said they were still pretty good! I wish they'd taken Larry's idea of randomizing the Dartmoor killer, though. It would've done a lot to improve the replayability of that mission.

As for me, I've been playing Shadow of War a lot, this past week or so. Not really all that much of a stealth game (kinda like Assassin's Creed or maybe Sniper Elite I guess), but I've been playing it as stealthily as possible. Pretty fun, so far, although I'm not sure if I'll bother getting the expansions - I think by the time I finish the main campaign I would've had my fill.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I didn't even realize that there was a secret ending! I read about it and maybe I'll give it a try but I don't have a save from that level. I'm glad that they put a reference back to the beginning though - very apropos. I guess there's a kinda-sorta reference to Blood Money as well, with the way that Diana "kills" 47, only for him to come back from the dead and kill everyone in the immediate vicinity.

Is Shadow of Mordor better for stealth than Shadow of War? I've never really wanted to go near SoW given how they botched the monetization thing and then (I think) ripped it out with a chainsaw. If SoM is more stealth-able I might give it a shot. Currently I'm going through Desperados III and will hopefully finish it after abandoning it a few times.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

I didn't even realize that there was a secret ending! I read about it and maybe I'll give it a try but I don't have a save from that level. I'm glad that they put a reference back to the beginning though - very apropos. I guess there's a kinda-sorta reference to Blood Money as well, with the way that Diana "kills" 47, only for him to come back from the dead and kill everyone in the immediate vicinity.

Is Shadow of Mordor better for stealth than Shadow of War? I've never really wanted to go near SoW given how they botched the monetization thing and then (I think) ripped it out with a chainsaw. If SoM is more stealth-able I might give it a shot. Currently I'm going through Desperados III and will hopefully finish it after abandoning it a few times.

Yeah, their nods to the original like that aren't bad. I liked it, even if it was in a way a little sad/grim for 47! I mean... drat, what a way to restart your career, eh?

As for SoW, I didn't realise it had those issues with monetization! It's pretty much the same as SoM, but it's been 'gripping' me a bit better, I guess. I never got around to completing SoM (although I got most of the way through) however I'm actually well on my way to 100%ing the base game of SoW! But yeah, they're both pretty much the same. SoW has some additional loot and rudimentary 'crafting' mechanics (as in, you can slot gems into your stuff, but you can also combine gems to make better ones, to slot into your gear) but otherwise they're essentially the same experience.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shadow of War is good fun imo, most of the stuff it adds is unnecessary but they made the Nemesis system and orc stuff much better which is the main draw of these games anyway

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Desperadoes III

Some Dude Done Shot My Paw: The Game. Except for a few dark turns, that's pretty much what the story amounts to in Desperadoes III. But fortunately, the characters, visuals and gameplay yield a rewarding payout to an otherwise tired theme. Desperadoes III is a prequel to the much-vaunted "Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive" and "Desperados 2: Cooper's Revenge", telling the tale of how the lives of John Cooper, Kate O'Hara and Arthur "Doc" McCoy became entwined. Along the way we meet some new characters in Hector Mendoza and Isabelle Moreau - but make no mistake, the 1870's-era story is really not going to be the big draw in this here hoe-down. And that's probably ok, since there has been a close to 20-year absence of any entries in the Desperadoes series, and this title will be an introduction to many players. However, the real time tactics found in the gameplay will be very familiar to anyone who checked out Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, feeling like a familiar Colt .45 in your weathered holster. And who are these dusty desperadoes, you may ask? In no particular order, they are:
  • John Cooper: The protagonist of the game and just about every cowboy cliché packed into one character. John has a very stabby disposition, as his primary melee attack is with a knife and his silent ranged attack is also a knife throw. Has the fastest run speed. He can fire two guns at a time and also can toss a fake coin to get enemies to look the other way for a moment. How can he be so stealthy with so many coins jangling in his pocket? It's a secret
  • Kate O'Hara: Can don a disguise to get dumb cowboys to look the other way indefinitely, or draw them away for a brief time. Has no lethal melee attack, but can knock out enemies. Has a petite Derringer that is not terribly powerful but is thankfully very quiet. Can also toss a vial of perfume to temporarily blind bad guys
  • Hector Mendoza: A giant bear of a man, Hector can carry two bodies at a time (while running) but can't swim or climb vines or other non-ladder objects. Has a massive bear trap named Bianca that will make you wince as it closes its man-sized jaws on anyone unfortunate enough to step on it. Has a lethal melee attack with an axe, all the while letting out a gleeful chuckle that can be at turns amusing and disturbing. Can also whistle to lure victims into said trap. Also has a shotgun with a devastating spread, but is noisier than the 315 to Chattanooga. Slowest run speed
  • Doc McCoy: Whatever medical school has an advanced course in sniping, that's where McCoy went. Melee attack is a lethal syringe dose and can also attract enemies by tossing his medicine bag. Also has a very useful vial full of swamp gas that performs an AOE knockout
  • Isabelle Moreau: A, ahem, "voodoo woman" hailing from Louisiana. Isabelle has some interesting, very OP abilities that can be a real game-changer once she is introduced. She can mentally connect two enemies such that they share whatever fate you subject one of them to - such as being mangled by an industrial-strength bear trap. She can also mind control enemies, although this comes with some (understandable) limitations. She can also briefly distract villains with her companion, Stella the Cat, who of course lets out an adorable meow when you click on her. And you will probably click on her many many times

Having set the stage, what is the gameplay like? Well if you've played Shadow Tactics, you're going to be very familiar with the gameplay of Desperadoes III. If you haven't played Shadow Tactics, what are you waiting for? I know you've bought it on sale already. Every map, you and your faithful compadres need to fulfill their objectives by sneakily moving around and using your abilities, usually in tandem. Many times, this will be done by executing Showdown Mode, which is vastly improved over its ST: BotS incarnation by now fully pausing. This allows you to survey the landscape and all of the unsuspecting antagonists contained within it, letting you set up situations where Kate can throw her perfume at a few goons, while John throws a knife at a guard they were supposed to be watching, and Hector carries the bodies out of sight, for example. The game also mercifully provides a 'fast-forward' button that lets you speed up time so you don't have to wait as long for that enemy to walk into the lair of the ever-hungry Bianca. Things get complicated by the presence of Long Coats and Ponchos. No that's not a Willie Nelson song, they're enemies that are resistant to being lured away. Fortunately, Ponchos can still be distracted but Long Coats cannot, and Long Coats also cannot be one-shot, except by Hector. Even then, the kill animation takes awhile and is susceptible to wandering eyes. Their presence on any map (and it only increases as the game goes on) renders any possible solution to be a thing of ever-growing complexity. Granted, people have found a way to cheese it - you can lure Ponchos and Long Coats away by placing an unconscious body in their line of sight. This will make them wander over to untie them, at which point they can usually be dispatched. On the one hand, this is considered by many players to be a pretty cheesy way to handle these situations; on the other hand, the developer has not disabled it after numerous patches so I leave it up to the player to decide whether this nerfs the challenge too much. The game provides a helpful telltale circle that lets you know the audio range that your attacks - especially your firearms - will take up. Of course, Hector's is the size of Texas. This is a bit of a conundrum: westerns are all about shootouts and gunplay, but they're a poor fit in a game about stealth. They're usually best reserved for when you've cleared enough enemies to use them without tripping an alert. Still, it seems a bit incongruous.

I'm on record as saying that all stealth games are puzzle games. Desperadoes III is no exception and in fact could be said that it takes that ball and runs with it past the stadium gates. At first the missions start out fairly simple and the strategies for meeting your objectives are bite-sized and easily digestible. However, as the missions progress you'll find yourself in situations where multiple Ponchos are watching multiple Long Coats who are watching multiple other guards and finding ways to break the chain can cause a bigger sweat than the Arizona desert. This is going to be the big qualifier for whether you're going to enjoy DIII or not. I think that ideally, you should be the kind of person who enjoys these types of challenges and gets a personal satisfaction out of pulling off a complex solution. The game doesn't have anything else that triggers those lizard-brain endorphins, like purple-texted loot or groups of numbers going up. Even the cutscenes are very functional and don't give way to a lot of spectacle (except blowing up the bridge with dynamite, that was pretty satisfying). Even if the game is on sale, it's important to ask this question, because the game may just languish in your Steam library. Otherwise, though, it's like finding a nugget of California gold in your pan...pardner.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ah, nice! I was wondering when you'd be posting about D3 :D Sounds pretty much identical to Shadow Tactics, in terms of general gameplay and character abilities. (Not a bad thing, though!) It's certainly not a surprise though, given the dev made both games - seems like it's a "pick your favourite flavour" kind of situation, when it comes to picking between the two. If you don't mind me asking, which did you prefer? Shadow Tactics, or D3?

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Desperadoes III

Some Dude Done Shot My Paw: The Game. Except for a few dark turns, that's pretty much what the story amounts to in Desperadoes III. But fortunately, the characters, visuals and gameplay yield a rewarding payout to an otherwise tired theme. Desperadoes III is a prequel to the much-vaunted "Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive" and "Desperados 2: Cooper's Revenge", telling the tale of how the lives of John Cooper, Kate O'Hara and Arthur "Doc" McCoy became entwined. Along the way we meet some new characters in Hector Mendoza and Isabelle Moreau - but make no mistake, the 1870's-era story is really not going to be the big draw in this here hoe-down. And that's probably ok, since there has been a close to 20-year absence of any entries in the Desperadoes series, and this title will be an introduction to many players. However, the real time tactics found in the gameplay will be very familiar to anyone who checked out Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, feeling like a familiar Colt .45 in your weathered holster. And who are these dusty desperadoes, you may ask? In no particular order, they are:
  • John Cooper: The protagonist of the game and just about every cowboy cliché packed into one character. John has a very stabby disposition, as his primary melee attack is with a knife and his silent ranged attack is also a knife throw. Has the fastest run speed. He can fire two guns at a time and also can toss a fake coin to get enemies to look the other way for a moment. How can he be so stealthy with so many coins jangling in his pocket? It's a secret
  • Kate O'Hara: Can don a disguise to get dumb cowboys to look the other way indefinitely, or draw them away for a brief time. Has no lethal melee attack, but can knock out enemies. Has a petite Derringer that is not terribly powerful but is thankfully very quiet. Can also toss a vial of perfume to temporarily blind bad guys
  • Hector Mendoza: A giant bear of a man, Hector can carry two bodies at a time (while running) but can't swim or climb vines or other non-ladder objects. Has a massive bear trap named Bianca that will make you wince as it closes its man-sized jaws on anyone unfortunate enough to step on it. Has a lethal melee attack with an axe, all the while letting out a gleeful chuckle that can be at turns amusing and disturbing. Can also whistle to lure victims into said trap. Also has a shotgun with a devastating spread, but is noisier than the 315 to Chattanooga. Slowest run speed
  • Doc McCoy: Whatever medical school has an advanced course in sniping, that's where McCoy went. Melee attack is a lethal syringe dose and can also attract enemies by tossing his medicine bag. Also has a very useful vial full of swamp gas that performs an AOE knockout
  • Isabelle Moreau: A, ahem, "voodoo woman" hailing from Louisiana. Isabelle has some interesting, very OP abilities that can be a real game-changer once she is introduced. She can mentally connect two enemies such that they share whatever fate you subject one of them to - such as being mangled by an industrial-strength bear trap. She can also mind control enemies, although this comes with some (understandable) limitations. She can also briefly distract villains with her companion, Stella the Cat, who of course lets out an adorable meow when you click on her. And you will probably click on her many many times

Having set the stage, what is the gameplay like? Well if you've played Shadow Tactics, you're going to be very familiar with the gameplay of Desperadoes III. If you haven't played Shadow Tactics, what are you waiting for? I know you've bought it on sale already. Every map, you and your faithful compadres need to fulfill their objectives by sneakily moving around and using your abilities, usually in tandem. Many times, this will be done by executing Showdown Mode, which is vastly improved over its ST: BotS incarnation by now fully pausing. This allows you to survey the landscape and all of the unsuspecting antagonists contained within it, letting you set up situations where Kate can throw her perfume at a few goons, while John throws a knife at a guard they were supposed to be watching, and Hector carries the bodies out of sight, for example. The game also mercifully provides a 'fast-forward' button that lets you speed up time so you don't have to wait as long for that enemy to walk into the lair of the ever-hungry Bianca. Things get complicated by the presence of Long Coats and Ponchos. No that's not a Willie Nelson song, they're enemies that are resistant to being lured away. Fortunately, Ponchos can still be distracted but Long Coats cannot, and Long Coats also cannot be one-shot, except by Hector. Even then, the kill animation takes awhile and is susceptible to wandering eyes. Their presence on any map (and it only increases as the game goes on) renders any possible solution to be a thing of ever-growing complexity. Granted, people have found a way to cheese it - you can lure Ponchos and Long Coats away by placing an unconscious body in their line of sight. This will make them wander over to untie them, at which point they can usually be dispatched. On the one hand, this is considered by many players to be a pretty cheesy way to handle these situations; on the other hand, the developer has not disabled it after numerous patches so I leave it up to the player to decide whether this nerfs the challenge too much. The game provides a helpful telltale circle that lets you know the audio range that your attacks - especially your firearms - will take up. Of course, Hector's is the size of Texas. This is a bit of a conundrum: westerns are all about shootouts and gunplay, but they're a poor fit in a game about stealth. They're usually best reserved for when you've cleared enough enemies to use them without tripping an alert. Still, it seems a bit incongruous.

I'm on record as saying that all stealth games are puzzle games. Desperadoes III is no exception and in fact could be said that it takes that ball and runs with it past the stadium gates. At first the missions start out fairly simple and the strategies for meeting your objectives are bite-sized and easily digestible. However, as the missions progress you'll find yourself in situations where multiple Ponchos are watching multiple Long Coats who are watching multiple other guards and finding ways to break the chain can cause a bigger sweat than the Arizona desert. This is going to be the big qualifier for whether you're going to enjoy DIII or not. I think that ideally, you should be the kind of person who enjoys these types of challenges and gets a personal satisfaction out of pulling off a complex solution. The game doesn't have anything else that triggers those lizard-brain endorphins, like purple-texted loot or groups of numbers going up. Even the cutscenes are very functional and don't give way to a lot of spectacle (except blowing up the bridge with dynamite, that was pretty satisfying). Even if the game is on sale, it's important to ask this question, because the game may just languish in your Steam library. Otherwise, though, it's like finding a nugget of California gold in your pan...pardner.

I loving love these reviews, thank you for writing them

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

Ah, nice! I was wondering when you'd be posting about D3 :D Sounds pretty much identical to Shadow Tactics, in terms of general gameplay and character abilities. (Not a bad thing, though!) It's certainly not a surprise though, given the dev made both games - seems like it's a "pick your favourite flavour" kind of situation, when it comes to picking between the two. If you don't mind me asking, which did you prefer? Shadow Tactics, or D3?

The conventional wisdom is that you play Shadow Tactics for the story and the themes, and DIII for the improved gameplay. But of course if you're going to play ST for the story and themes, then you should also play Aiko's choice, which closes the circle on a lot of the ideas that BotS invoked. The gameplay improvements in DIII are hard to ignore, though - the pausing in showdown mode and the fast-forward button are maybe subtle but still important.

Also, play INFRA you nerd.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

D3 has the quality of life improvements but I think the characters are better balanced in ST. I think I spent like 60% of my time in D3 as the witch because she's just so much more useful than everyone else lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

The conventional wisdom is that you play Shadow Tactics for the story and the themes, and DIII for the improved gameplay. But of course if you're going to play ST for the story and themes, then you should also play Aiko's choice, which closes the circle on a lot of the ideas that BotS invoked. The gameplay improvements in DIII are hard to ignore, though - the pausing in showdown mode and the fast-forward button are maybe subtle but still important.

Ah, yeah that's fair enough. Once I clear out of my backlog I'll have to take a closer look at D3. I kinda hope they do a "Commandos" style game at some point, now that I think about it! (I know there's that Partisans game which is great and very close to the mark, but I'm more thinking of the western front/Mediterranean theatre, with mechanics closer to D3/ST and the original Commandos games. Maybe set in Italy, perhaps. Or during the Spanish Civil War? Hmmm...)

Seventh Arrow posted:

hahah yeah, I need to dive into that! :D Gotta finish Uncharted Lost Legacy first I think, then I'll have to see about diving into the dank and dark world of INFRA

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sub-Actuality posted:

I loving love these reviews, thank you for writing them

Much appreciated!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

D3 has the quality of life improvements but I think the characters are better balanced in ST. I think I spent like 60% of my time in D3 as the witch because she's just so much more useful than everyone else lol

Yeah, Hector can be very OP too. He seems to be like a combination of Mugen and Yuki from ST. On paper, Doc's sniping ability should also be very powerful, but not being able to immediately move the body is a severe drawback.

One thing that's funny about Isabelle is that you can use the Mind Link to connect Hector to a guard. If Hector takes a drink of his whiskey, the guard will pass out because it's too powerful for anyone else! :cheers:

Major Isoor posted:

hahah yeah, I need to dive into that! :D Gotta finish Uncharted Lost Legacy first I think, then I'll have to see about diving into the dank and dark world of INFRA

In case anyone's wondering, INFRA is not a stealth game at all, but it's a really engrossing adventure game that is dripping with environmental storytelling. It's so good. I brought it up with Isoor because I remembered it as a stealth game from the last time I played it, but apparently my mind was playing tricks on me. In fact, there are barely any NPCs in the game at all.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I mean hey, the most successful way to sneak is to entirely avoid encountering anyone at all, right? :v:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sneak around a malfunctioning power plant; make sure the electricity doesn't notice you.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Sneak around a malfunctioning power plant; make sure the electricity doesn't notice you.

Indeed, you'd better! Since if the electricity does find you...? Well let's just say, what it does next will shock you!

(Sorry, someone had to say it :D )

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 13, 2023

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Do this, INFRA rules

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't need the review because Im aware desperados 3 is good as hell but I read it anyway. thanks seventh arrow.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

If you're going to play them both, and you should, make sure to play ST first. going from ST's showdown mode to D3s is fine, but doing it the other way round will really mess you up for a while

----------------

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

"So you see your honor, it was really an AI chatbot that induced me to plagiarize the properties of Konami Inc."

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

its mostly similar but the voodoo character is cool new archetype. and iirc the hot babe disguise isn't as overpowered as it was in shadow tactics.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

its mostly similar but the voodoo character is cool new archetype. and iirc the hot babe disguise isn't as overpowered as it was in shadow tactics.
That's because she's Irish and therefore inherently unlovable

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That's why her best disguise would be a potato sack.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Seventh Arrow posted:

That's why her best disguise would be a potato sack.

Long Coat kicks a suspicious looking sack and a muffled voice goes "potatoes"

----------------

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Long Coat kicks a suspicious looking sack and a muffled voice goes "potatoes"

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's because she's Irish and therefore inherently unlovable

gently caress you!!!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol u from boston pablo

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

some plague rats posted:

lol u from boston pablo

pabblo giganntay

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

some plague rats posted:

lol u from boston pablo

Nah but my dad is from Ireland

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nah but my dad is from Ireland

[turning to the rest of my gang] hey, this guy loves his dad! what a fag!

----------------

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

some plague rats posted:

[turning to the rest of my gang] hey, this guy loves his dad! what a fag!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna be a reckoning next time I win IK contest

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

gently caress you!!!
I might be Scottish but I have the tell-tale Big Irish Head and support Celtic, and my fiancée is Irish, I can say this

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
The Irish can’t cook

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Or bake

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

baking is just about putting things in the right place and setting accurate timers, which is actually something they're quite good at

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I might be Scottish but I have the tell-tale Big Irish Head and support Celtic, and my fiancée is Irish, I can say this

This makes you sound American actually

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

This makes you sound American actually

unfortunately I do have some protestant genes, such as genetic heart disease and being emotionally retarded, so have to accept that

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

baking is just about putting things in the right place and setting accurate timers, which is actually something they're quite good at

----------------

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Heh yeah, you're quite right there! The Irish really put in a lot of work refining those skills during the '70s, eh! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Heh yeah, you're quite right there! The Irish really put in a lot of work refining those skills during the '70s, eh! :D