Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Some Guy TT posted:

It's always extremely funny when some ancient thread lore pops up that I don't even slightly remember only to see that oh right that's because it predates my forums registration.

OK, see, this is the attitude that's missing from modern Popeye- the idea that he would want to settle down and stop going on adventures being presented as horrifically shocking to his girlfriend, yet mundane and unremarkable to Popeye himself. A big part of what makes these characters so endearing is that they have tunnelvision, not just to their own goals, but even when it comes to understanding how other characters perceive those goals, and this doesn't make them bad people, just inherently comedic ones. It's really the main thing they all have in common to begin with, which is why it always robs me the wrong way when modern Popeye neatly tries to divide them into good and evil characters.

Yeah in a vacuum I wouldn't mind the new Popeye strips, but the characters aren't really Popeye characters anymore to me. I don't want emotional depth from any of them! It's funny that Thimble Theater Wimpy dumped a mermaid fiancee because she doesn't like onions and it's weird when modern Bluto is a doting uncle to his niece.

I'll be an old crank about this forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 10, 1955)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

It's kind of annoying that the comic doesn't give her proper name.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

This actually happened when I was a kid, my parents took us to see Weird Al at a state fair and my little sister was disappointed because she thought she was going to see a giant weird owl.

BigglesSWE posted:

I have a soft spot for Bizarro. He will draw any and all puns that runs through his mind and I applaud him for it.

This is why I hate Bizarro, most of these aren't really puns or even jokes or really anything. Also sometimes he's weirdly pretentious and judgemental but that hasn't happened for a while.

EasyEW posted:

Am I imagining things, or does the color palate not pop quite as much as it did at CK? Not that that isn't closer to proper school bus yellow, but still...

Arcamax definitely has different color settings on its image files than CK does. When I posted Curtis from there for a few days it looked like everyone was wearing day-glo spandex.

riderchop posted:

i've never seen this type of tentacled animal in my life

Chip Dunham account spotted.

Breaking Cat News

Tommy continues to be best cat.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Billingsley does the "I'd rather have x food" "do you have money for x food" joke about once a month but the "my dad beat me" part is new!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Doomykins posted:

it's funny because a teenager turned down 20 grand earlier for his retro beater and now the universe has punished him for no reason.
No explanation or consequence, either. I'm pretty sure flattening a vehicle into a doormat is something that most truck drivers are not supposed to do and there's like, some sort of action that takes place if it happens.

riderchop posted:

i've never seen this type of tentacled animal in my life
is squid

Vargo posted:

This actually happened when I was a kid, my parents took us to see Weird Al at a state fair and my little sister was disappointed because she thought she was going to see a giant weird owl.
Send this to your sister because better late than never:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hahaha

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

That's right, bitch

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah in a vacuum I wouldn't mind the new Popeye strips, but the characters aren't really Popeye characters anymore to me. I don't want emotional depth from any of them! It's funny that Thimble Theater Wimpy dumped a mermaid fiancee because she doesn't like onions and it's weird when modern Bluto is a doting uncle to his niece.

I'll be an old crank about this forever.

Don't worry, I'm right there with you. It's fine giving funny characters a bit of emotional depth, but if you do too much it just slides over into bathos, and you end up with Funky Winkerbean.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Political 1/13/03

Double Collins

Brenda Starr 3/16-18/50

Smokey Stover 4/6/52

Everyday Movies 12/28/35

"I wish we'd given the elevator man something for Christmas so now we wouldn't feel ashamed to face him."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/18-20/40

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/18-20/40

I love this stupid strip.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:china:

Another entry in the Characters That Are Cooler Than The Phantom list:
A native woman with a bow.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 17, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 1, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

The guy doesn't even work for the pharmacy. He just likes hanging around in a white coat in case someone gives him an excuse to punch people.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 16, 1939)

Out Our Way (October 28-30, 1940)

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

I have to admit, I am super glad that Ces is tackling this issue. I was kind of aggravated with the strips where Hil found Steve in the woods over the holidays and it at first seemed like they were suggesting that all her problems were magically solved when she got that photo, especially given the build-up beforehand.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

This really raises a few questions about the nature of Hobbes

Right? The possibility of Hobbes being imaginary always makes you question Calvin's sanity a bit but this arc is like fight club for kids.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 14, 2023

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Wallace the Brave from Jan 13th
been there

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Little kids in this comic are always drawn as if their tongues are just too massive for their own mouths. It's so disconcerting.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The War-Lords of Phoenix

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

You always start reading books from the middle?

I mean, your current novel you're working on is about how your brother got sooooooooo hot. I don't think you have any room to criticize.

Gil Thorp

Gil Thorp is super boring me, you guys. I thought it might be fun to post because the new writer seemed like he was trying to update things and be more inclusive, but storylines never go anywhere. There don't even seem to really be storylines; things just happen. I don't know how much longer I'm going to hang with this one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I have to admit, I am super glad that Ces is tackling this issue. I was kind of aggravated with the strips where Hil found Steve in the woods over the holidays and it at first seemed like they were suggesting that all her problems were magically solved when she got that photo, especially given the build-up beforehand.

Same here. Be way too easy to pull a Funky magic "let's call Clinton to stop ICE" strip or two to make the problems go away.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Has Gil Thorp ever had storylines? I feel like every time I saw it as a kid it was just a random scene from a randomly seasonal sport.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 28, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 14-15, 1992)

Big Nate

E: Saving this for later:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 14, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/17-19/49

Archie 3/25-27/46

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

This is a great story lol

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

[b]Rex Morgan MD

[b]Andertoons

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

[b]Mark Trail[b]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WelFLZQiYCo&t=32s

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Comic Stripes 2023: Don't be a simple dimple, Iggy

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

The Antique Dealer’s Tale

I'm sure that being given a strange ring from a shapeshifting magic being has never turned out bad for anyone else before.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Technowolf posted:

I'm sure that being given a strange ring from a shapeshifting magic being has never turned out bad for anyone else before.

In many folklores, it's dangerous to NOT accept a token given in gratitude by a magical creature

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Hope this isn’t flight 007

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 06, 1955)

I wonder whether this whole trip back from the Mediterranean via the Dnieper was inspired by the novel The Long Ships (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Ships#Adaptations). The timing is right for Foster to have read it, I believe that the book was pretty popular, and it contains a very similar section where the Viking protagonists have to portage their ships while dealing with Pecheneg harassment.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp is super boring me, you guys. I thought it might be fun to post because the new writer seemed like he was trying to update things and be more inclusive, but storylines never go anywhere. There don't even seem to really be storylines; things just happen. I don't know how much longer I'm going to hang with this one.

karmicknight posted:

Has Gil Thorp ever had storylines? I feel like every time I saw it as a kid it was just a random scene from a randomly seasonal sport.

the football storyline ended with the villain coach winning the game, but being unsatisfied in his win because thorp was being a good sport about losing. right now we are starting up basketball season and also advancing the gil thorp's marriage is crumbling storyline with what is looking like a surprise twist lesbian affair with the tennis golf instructor

honestly i am loving loving gil thorp after forcing myself to actually read it, BUT i will say the biggest flaw in it is the sports. because gil thorp is in fact a high school gym coach his professional and personal life are kinda gonna by necessity revolve around high school sports. so far it looks like the writer is trying to keep the sports shown accurate for what would be played in high school at the time, which puts a fairly severe limit to how the sport-sided storylines can and must progress; its the holiday problem i pointed out earlier but very unfortunately baked into the premise

i dunno, maybe im making excuses, but i genuinely do like gil thorp and im glad it gets posted :shobon:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Archie is strangely good

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Of Childrens' Toys That Simulate Violent Death By Digestion and Eating Clogs Out Of The Drain

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

MarxCarl posted:

Wallace the Brave from Jan 13th
been there

Getting Lost in the Zone for the first time on an actual factual Twilight Zone machine was an absolutely transcendent experience. You become one with all the little silver balls and the Powerball too.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 11, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Am I right guys?