Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lot of deck worship happening here.

As it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Ugh I have a pretty sturdy case for my deck but I tripped carrying it and it fell onto tile right on the right trigger which basically exploded :( I know I could RMA but I don't want to be without it for that long, hah, so I'm getting the trigger replacement from ifixit and it looks pretty doable. The case has saved it a good half dozen times from my butterfingers so I'd recommend one still, mind.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Squiggle posted:

Dear god the perspective on that thumbnail threw me off real hard for a second

why is his Deck so big

Ahaha thanks for that. :-)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I like the touchpads rumbling away when I stroke them

I agree with this absolute weirdo and think that the touchpads' haptics are up there with fan smell

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Goddamn Disco Elysium is good. Having a whale of a time with this, just incredible writing - another top notch goon rec

I played it start to finish on Deck a few months ago and loved it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beastie posted:

I agree with this absolute weirdo and think that the touchpads' haptics are up there with fan smell

You ain't wrong.

JSAUX released their Transparent Back Panel, it also comes with new buttons for the back paddles for easier input and a large metal plate and thermal pad to draw more heat off of the Deck: https://jsaux.com/products/transparent-back-plate-for-steam-deck-pc0106

I just wanted the cool backing, but I'm happy about getting the better buttons.

sigher fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 14, 2023

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So few quick questions
1. I notice Xbox classic emulation seems trash. Is this because of Xemu or the Deck?
2. Yeah, reiterating; has anyone gotten 1964 GEPD running on this without issues? Mine seemed choppy when I tried and curious what you did.
3. Speaking of running stuff on this; anyone try Open X-Com yet? The idea of mobile X-Com appeals to me, but not sure how it would run.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure Xemu just has problems.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Xemu is still very rough in raw compatibility. Even on my big beef main PC there's games that just won't run well, like Gun Valkyrie slows to a crawl whenever it has to try and render a reflective surface. There are games that run well, Jet Set Radio Future and Halo are the 2 main go-tos but you are going to be limited mostly to early system games.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I thought even JSRF - that's one of the main things I wanted - was kinda jank.
How come Xbox emulation is still so wonky? Wasn't the Xbox the first console to be basically 'literally just a lovely and highly specialized PC'? Like shouldn't Xbox emulation be trivially simple?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MVG covers it well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiWH4TcFCAY

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

How come Xbox emulation is still so wonky? Wasn't the Xbox the first console to be basically 'literally just a lovely and highly specialized PC'? Like shouldn't Xbox emulation be trivially simple?

Short version, the Nvidia graphics chip in it was never properly documented so everything we know about it has had to be reverse engineered.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

njsykora posted:

Yeah Xemu is still very rough in raw compatibility. Even on my big beef main PC there's games that just won't run well, like Gun Valkyrie slows to a crawl whenever it has to try and render a reflective surface. There are games that run well, Jet Set Radio Future and Halo are the 2 main go-tos but you are going to be limited mostly to early system games.

Relatedly Mechassault works great, Mechassault 2 fails to get past the loading screen

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

For those with nreal air glasses, what's actually happening in this scenario?

I'm playing a game and realised the screen size is much smaller than expected. The game is set to 720p - the highest it will go with the glasses plugged in - and as I change the resolution down the protected screen size shrinks. Until I hit 540p, at which point it gives me the max screen size again.

What am I not understanding here? I realise 540p is half of 1080p...

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

JSRF the actual game can be modded to support HD resolutions, same hack might make it run better on the Deck...

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Did you press the middle button to turn on the correct profile?

:psyboom: I did not. And that was the problem. Thanks!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Turn off the haptic feedback.

The sound/rattling is completely different on his right trackpad than his left trackpad. He’s not retarded.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

For those with nreal air glasses, what's actually happening in this scenario?

I'm playing a game and realised the screen size is much smaller than expected. The game is set to 720p - the highest it will go with the glasses plugged in - and as I change the resolution down the protected screen size shrinks. Until I hit 540p, at which point it gives me the max screen size again.

What am I not understanding here? I realise 540p is half of 1080p...

Just following up on this, fiddling with the display options to prevent automatic resizing fixed the problem and changing the glasses to 720p as well (I think). Having said that, I ended up using them at 1080p and setting the game to 540p because FSR is absolute magic

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How do you get the right joystick to act like the left one? I was messing with options, I'm trying to get them both to do the same thing in Vampire Survivors so I can give my thumb a break, but nothing I do makes the right joystick work at all. I tried mapping it to replicate the d-pad too and no dice.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I could never remember the difference between Second Sight and Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. Just downloaded them both though, so I'm gonna go ham on exploding some heads :getin:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I could never remember the difference between Second Sight and Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. Just downloaded them both though, so I'm gonna go ham on exploding some heads :getin:

The main difference is that Second Sight is good.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
For N64 controls with emus, I default to assigning the right stick to the c buttons, and also assign the left and right c buttons to the left and right bumpers and the top and bottom c buttons to Y and B. Usually that translates well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EmuDeck has a toggle on R1 that changes the face buttons to the C buttons when held down, it's pretty good. It's not the most intuitive since I have way too many hours of muscle memory for N64 poo poo but it was good enough.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Corb3t posted:

The sound/rattling is completely different on his right trackpad than his left trackpad.

I only have haptic on my right trackpad AFAIK.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Subjunctive posted:

I only have haptic on my right trackpad AFAIK.

Both have it for me but the right is noticeably stronger. I assume that is intentional since most people are going to use the right trackpad more.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s different in every game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Might be one for the wiki:

You can only progress in Bloodstained Ritual of the Night by capping to 30fps immediately after beating the first boss or else the following video will soft lock the game. After that you can go back to 60.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Might be one for the wiki:

You can only progress in Bloodstained Ritual of the Night by capping to 30fps immediately after beating the first boss or else the following video will soft lock the game. After that you can go back to 60.

Huh I played through it on the Deck a few months ago and didn’t have to do this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tiny Timbs posted:

Huh I played through it on the Deck a few months ago and didn’t have to do this

I hit that too but I just hit start to skip it, totally forgot it broke there though

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
So I’m looking for something affordable that’ll tax the graphics card to try to ascertain whether it’ll crash under pressure, to see if I’ve inflicted water damage on my deck in the incident I mention earlier in the thread, and whether I try to should RMA it or not. There’s not a great deal that’s cheap on offer so soon after the recent sale, would Trine 4 be suitable to test the GPU in this way?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

njsykora posted:

The main difference is that Second Sight is good.

I started Second Sight and realized that I mixed them up AGAIN. This is the one I never played. drat the PS2 has some awesome games, really enjoying getting to experience some of the catalogue. Onimusha 3 has been a blast so far.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Minotaurus Rex posted:

So I’m looking for something affordable that’ll tax the graphics card to try to ascertain whether it’ll crash under pressure, to see if I’ve inflicted water damage on my deck in the incident I mention earlier in the thread, and whether I try to should RMA it or not. There’s not a great deal that’s cheap on offer so soon after the recent sale, would Trine 4 be suitable to test the GPU in this way?

Ray tracing half life?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Probably just take any decent looking game you have and crank up the resolution and settings

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Surely there's a benchmarking software you can use?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Kild posted:

Surely there's a benchmarking software you can use?

Would be interested to be pointed toward some sort of relatively idiotproof way to do this on the deck

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

Just following up on this, fiddling with the display options to prevent automatic resizing fixed the problem and changing the glasses to 720p as well (I think). Having said that, I ended up using them at 1080p and setting the game to 540p because FSR is absolute magic

I leave the resolution at the deck default for my airs and everything works fine

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Wouldn't water damage be an either/or thing rather than something that'd only appear when you're pushing the hardware?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, there’s just as much chance of it being something that only shits the bed under certain circumstances because damaged electronics can be Complicated

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Well Trine 4 worked for a bit on the highest settings completing the first level and then in a cutscene afterwards it crashed. It -is- on the highest settings though so I’m not sure what I’ve proved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Does anyone have a recommendation for a case with a kickstand that's thin enough to still fit in the carrying case and a dock in case I ever get one?