Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

it's in the grip of a famine because america and the west literally stole their money, so the taliban just sealed a big oil/mineral deal with the chinese and are trying to seal contracts with anyone willing to try and get money back.

Glad to hear that they're able to get some money in the door. I don't envy them the job of cleaning up after two generations of guerrilla war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Also, there’s some deliberate conflation between Russia, the state, and Russian, the ethnic group within the borders of neighbouring countries.

This goes back to the other powers of Europe reacting against pan-Slavism in the 19th c. and has emerged in a genuinely upsetting and frightening way since 1991 generally, 2014 specifically. Ukraine is more or less openly threatening ethnic cleansing with talk of expelling “Russians”, suppression of the Orthodox church and so on, but western liberals are either stupid or quietly supportive. The Baltic states are already playing with fire, which puts NATO in an extremely dangerous position.

Finland also has a historical Russian population, though a smaller one. In 2007 the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance reported in its Third report on Finland:

In its second report, ECRI recommended that action be taken to combat negative societal attitudes and manifestations of intolerance towards the members of Russian-speaking communities. However, representatives of these communities have indicated to ECRI that lack of determined action on the part of the Finnish authorities has allowed these attitudes and manifestations to intensify since ECRI's second report. ECRI is concerned at reports indicating that Russian-speakers have been the targets of violence, in at least one case resulting in death, and that the racist motivation of these acts has not always been adequately dealt with by the police. Racial harassment of Russian-speakers and racist bullying of Russian-speaking children at school have also been frequently reported. In addition, ECRI's attention has been drawn to the presence of anti-Russian material on the Internet inciting to racial hatred, and to the use of derogatory expressions to designate Russian-speakers as well as negative portrayal of these persons in the media.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
https://twitter.com/ukraine_map/status/1614192433226473474?t=cUcMrJfhSRLLlpqJ4R1B0g&s=19

zaluzhny i heard you needed a new armored corps

best i can do is one tank platoon

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gonna love the logistics nightmare when you have like 5 different types of tanks with incredibly different tooling breaking in different ways.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Ukraine is more or less openly threatening ethnic cleansing with talk of expelling “Russians”, suppression of the Orthodox church and so on, but western liberals are either stupid or quietly supportive.

they're not quietly supportive they're loudly supportive, hooting and hollering as priests are arrested and put in jail forever or used as pow trade fodder. but it's ok because the Orthodox church are chuds

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
New round of Russian missile attacks. Lot of video of blown up residential buildings again with civil rescue ongoing.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

New round of Russian missile attacks. Lot of video of blown up residential buildings again with civil rescue ongoing.

have you been able to analyze which missiles caused the damage with your crater calipers yet

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

have you been able to analyze which missiles caused the damage with your crater calipers yet

No, I don't like to wade in this early because there's often video of stuff I don't really want to see, like dead kids.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Gonna love the logistics nightmare when you have like 5 different types of tanks with incredibly different tooling breaking in different ways.

That's one of the reasons that the West was trying so hard to find old Soviet gear because it's just easier logistics-wise.

Too bad we fried Iraq those couple times, old Saddam would've been happy to sell us T-72s and old Soviet aircraft and he had them in spades. Ah well, I'm sure Iraq is better off now. Now to take a big sip of water.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
once again, talibans ftw

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

Do the Russians build more than one flavor of cruise missile?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here's the UN report from December, which covers the period of 1 August to 31 October:

https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/documents/countries/ua/2022-12-02/HRMMU_Update_2022-12-02_EN.pdf

HRW report on 2022.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2023/country-chapters/ukraine#2df168

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Apparently "western intelligence" thinks a huge mobilization wave is imminent in Russia
https://archive.ph/UbS17

""Kyiv tries to rally West before ‘500,000 Russians’ go to front" posted:

President Putin could mobilise up to half a million extra troops for his war against Ukraine as he seeks to wrestle back the initiative with a multipronged spring offensive.

Western allies are being urged to “act now” and send hundreds of tanks and armoured vehicles to Ukraine after Putin appointed a new commander and laid plans to deploy 150,000 reservists who were conscripted in the autumn.

Western intelligence indicates that Putin could announce a fresh mobilisation soon, emboldened by polling suggesting that, despite many setbacks on the battlefield, Russian support for the war remains high. If a decision is taken within weeks, as many as 500,000 extra Russians could be trained and sent to the front by April, when Ukraine’s winter mud has dried sufficiently to allow a big offensive.

“There are serious preparations going on across Russia’s regional recruitment offices,” one western official said. “The Kremlin has done private polling. Ordinary Russians are anxious about the war, but they are also unwilling to tolerate defeat.”

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

No, I don't like to wade in this early because there's often video of stuff I don't really want to see, like dead kids.

i make fun of you a lot, but i do appreciate that you haven't melted down like every other main character in this thread and started posting that kind of stuff yet

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
crater phrenology

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tristeham posted:

once again, talibans ftw

been saying this

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

sum posted:

Apparently "western intelligence" thinks a huge mobilization wave is imminent in Russia
https://archive.ph/UbS17

You don't got to hand it to them, but the CIA has been at least somewhat accurate with their Russia intelligence.

Idk that they could draft, equip, and train that many people and get them deployed in just a few months.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

Russia's primary long-range strike weapons include:
Kh-101 (air-launched cruise missile)
Kh-55 (naval cruise missile)
AS-4 (anti-ship missile, but has been updated to be used for long range air-to-ground strikes. Inaccurate to the point of being criminal to point it at a city, since it often misses the target without being shot at or jammed or anything. They were originally designed to target big metal ships against a backdrop of ocean, not a building against a backdrop of 100 other buildings.)

Others:
Iskander maneuvering ballistic missile
Iskander-launched 9M728/729 cruise missiles
S-300 missiles modified to be used as inaccurate but available ballistic missiles.

They also have shorter range TV-guided missiles, but those are employed more tactically with a man-in-the-loop flying them in. Stuff like missiles from fighter-bombers or helicopters to hit buildings, fortifications, armor, etc.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

mlmp08 posted:

Russia's primary long-range strike weapons include:
Kh-101 (air-launched cruise missile)
Kh-55 (naval cruise missile)
AS-4 (anti-ship missile, but has been updated to be used for long range air-to-ground strikes. Inaccurate to the point of being criminal to point it at a city, since it often misses the target without being shot at or jammed or anything. They were originally designed to target big metal ships against a backdrop of ocean, not a building against a backdrop of 100 other buildings.)

Others:
Iskander maneuvering ballistic missile
Iskander-launched 9M728/729 cruise missiles
S-300 missiles modified to be used as inaccurate but available ballistic missiles.

They also have shorter range TV-guided missiles, but those are employed more tactically with a man-in-the-loop flying them in. Stuff like missiles from fighter-bombers or helicopters to hit buildings, fortifications, armor, etc.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

crater phrenology

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Cao Ni Ma posted:

at this point it would be quicker to make a list of the MBTs that aren't used by the Ukrainian military.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

January 6 Survivor posted:

at this point it would be quicker to make a list of the MBTs that aren't used by the Ukrainian military.

the Merkava, I think

also that weird Swedish tank that doesn't have a turret

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

i make fun of you a lot, but i do appreciate that you haven't melted down like every other main character in this thread and started posting that kind of stuff yet

Yeah, if a regional conflict gets so enraging or grossly vicariously enjoyable to someone that they they start posting gore, or rooting for war crimes, or whatever, gently caress, poo poo has gone too far and such posters need to take or be put on a break. And honestly, aside from the shock value of seeing some hosed up imagery I didn't want to see, it's more chilling to read the UN, AI, HRW, or other investigation with a little bit more space, cause it better gets across how hosed up these actions often are and removes from the team-sports style "well, that's ok, because..." from some dipshit apologist about how actually the other guy is bad too, so rape/torture/abuse/whatever of the baddies and "disloyal" civilians is ok and worth it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Merkava, I think

None of the South Korean models. Also I think Japan has some weird domestic main battle tank for some reason, but I cannot remember. And, of course, as we hear every day, no Abrams in Ukraine...

E: Only very vaguely skimmed, but it seemed like the weekend of 160 new posts was off to a weird and wild start.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Merkava, I think

now I want to see some nagmachons. goofy looking contraptions

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cuttlefush posted:

now I want to see some nagmachons. goofy looking contraptions

It is weird. Kinda reminds me of the old Soviet KV-2s

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
now I wanna see some of those too

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Are there not M60s sitting around in a warehouse somewhere?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

January 6 Survivor posted:

IS-2s because iirc a museum T-34 got put to use as a static bunker somewhere either around Mariupol or Severodonetsk.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Glad to hear that they're able to get some money in the door. I don't envy them the job of cleaning up after two generations of guerrilla war.

I thought the idea of foreign companies exploiting national resources from desperate nations was frowned upon?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

I think we sold most of them or gave them away. The Egyptian Army has a ton, iirc.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

• New M60 Upgrade Program
– Integrated 120mm Main Gun Assembly
– Improved secondary weapons (coax machine gun, commander’s machine gun)
– Integrated 25mm remote weapon system with 300 round ready-ammo box
– Interface with advanced fire control system
– 120mm ammo stowage racks (objective 40 round stowage capacity)
– Increased engine, power pack to 1200hp for improved mobility
– Upgraded suspension for improved on/off road and cross country mobility
– Upgraded vehicle armor protection
– Integrated 360 degree, day/night vision system
– Integrated Auxiliary Power Unit for improved “engine off” vehicle capability
– Integrated crew air conditioning system with increased electronics cooling
– Enhanced fire suppression system for crew and engine compartments
– External electrical power supply: tools, lighting, communications
- Main Battle Tank Performance at a Fraction of the Cost

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Malleum posted:

• New M60 Upgrade Program
– Integrated 120mm Main Gun Assembly
– Improved secondary weapons (coax machine gun, commander’s machine gun)
– Integrated 25mm remote weapon system with 300 round ready-ammo box
– Interface with advanced fire control system
– 120mm ammo stowage racks (objective 40 round stowage capacity)
– Increased engine, power pack to 1200hp for improved mobility
– Upgraded suspension for improved on/off road and cross country mobility
– Upgraded vehicle armor protection
– Integrated 360 degree, day/night vision system
– Integrated Auxiliary Power Unit for improved “engine off” vehicle capability
– Integrated crew air conditioning system with increased electronics cooling
– Enhanced fire suppression system for crew and engine compartments
– External electrical power supply: tools, lighting, communications
- Main Battle Tank Performance at a Fraction of the Cost

i think i have one of those in war thunder

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
👏SEND👏 UKRAINE👏 A👏 T28👏

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

evilmiera posted:

I thought the idea of foreign companies exploiting national resources from desperate nations was frowned upon?

:gb2gbs: bitch

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

doverhog posted:

Actually, I'm a defender of democracy and human rights, in the face of fascism and lies.

lol fondly remembering when i was a big enough dope to post epic lines like this

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Weka posted:

Weed? You know what ELSE is green? That's right, war chief Putin!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Realistically, Ukraine needs to replace the 2 destroyed tank brigades, plus whatever else, so unless they get the entire Challenger park, it seems to me NATO is content to watch them die a slow death, without reclaiming territory, which Ukraine is slowly becoming aware of, and will try to draw NATO into the conflict as a result.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

I will be donating my entire world of tanks garage to the Ukraine

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

evilmiera posted:

Afghanistan being able to look to the future and deal with the problem of rapacious foreigners as their own, sovereign nation is preferable to them being an imperial satrapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

👏SEND👏 UKRAINE👏 A👏 T28👏

i went to the patton museum back before the renovations and they just had the t28 sitting in the yard without the second set of tracks and tiny baby me was very disappointed

it was right next to a sherman jumbo though so i wasnt disappointed for long, that was cool to look at