Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Flopsy posted:

I've been trying to avoid the Velma show but I'm literally having it shoved in my face on every platform and everything I see makes it worse by the minute. How is it possible to make something this universally loathed across the political spectrum?

By trying to appease both sides by making fun of both sides without understanding either side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Flopsy posted:

I've been trying to avoid the Velma show but I'm literally having it shoved in my face on every platform and everything I see makes it worse by the minute. How is it possible to make something this universally loathed across the political spectrum?

When the trailer for Q-Force (remember Q-Force?) came out it was the only time both sides of the political spectrum came together on something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Flopsy posted:

because its mean and souless and appeals to no one, its too "woke" for the chuds and its too stupid/gross/lovely to be liked by more progessive types.

pixaal posted:

By trying to appease both sides by making fun of both sides without understanding either side.

partly. i think its because everything is super gross and bad faithy.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because its mean and souless and appeals to no one, its too "woke" for the chuds and its too stupid/gross/lovely to be liked by more progessive types.

partly. i think its because everything is super gross and bad faithy.

It's the core premise of Scooby that you have dickhead adults who think they know everything scaring people to get rich usually, and for some teenagers to unmask the charade to restore order with their intelligence.

Velma just says: No everyone is gross and disgusting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Diabetic posted:

It's the core premise of Scooby that you have dickhead adults who think they know everything scaring people to get rich usually, and for some teenagers to unmask the charade to restore order with their intelligence.

Velma just says: No everyone is gross and disgusting.

That's not incorrect, but that show is also doing in it way that's not funny or charming.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/thecartoonnews/status/1614080385201102849

i am sure they will take the right lesson now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's a decent chance that the show's already got a second season coming, because that's just how animation is so often ordered.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

this reminds me of the end of a synopsis for a movie I didn't watch where someone uploads the Ring message to the Internet. Anyway, in such a scenario it would make sense that there'd be people who know what's happening that are more afraid of being the only one to miss out on not dying in seven days

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

galenanorth posted:

this reminds me of the end of a synopsis for a movie I didn't watch where someone uploads the Ring message to the Internet. It makes sense that people would be more afraid of being the only one to miss out on not dying in seven days

oh yeah, its almost alot of people want to see how bad it is since word of mouth has been so bad.

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1603920625529417728

anyway have an "newish" update for HB.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also the boring answer that it got a huge push. There's been a lot of media coverage and it was also the homepage fullscreen ad for me. I do watch Harley Quinn so maybe it was just targeted because of that, but a lot of shows that I'd like don't get the big recommendation.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i love hanna barbera but holy gently caress did they just make a billion carbon copy tv shows. like they got scooby and then they made like copies of the show with basicaly the same teens and like a monstrosoties/animal/ghost that is basicaly a parody of golden age holiwood/theater star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij6oNWVRfO8

https://twitter.com/FutureContact_/status/1613266645128196096

if they didn't do that we wouldn't have one of the greatest music videos of all time though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn1pf0Xi3nU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

This is why I've been flat out trying to pretend it doesn't exist. Hate watching it only gives these fucks the wrong idea. And God almighty is this poo poo ever mean spirited, never thought I'd see something that made family guy look emotionally intelligent.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh yeah, its almost alot of people want to see how bad it is since word of mouth has been so bad.

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1603920625529417728

anyway have an "newish" update for HB.

They advertised for a BG designer a couple of days ago and I applied. Wish me luck! :3:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Das Boo posted:

They advertised for a BG designer a couple of days ago and I applied. Wish me luck! :3:

Good luck!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Das Boo posted:

Good luck!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Das Boo posted:

poo poo good luck. id totaly do the same if i had any artistic talent.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It really sucks because any one example pointed to of how Velma is awful could be seen as internet whining, but that's what they want. It doesn't take much more looking into to find that everything combined equals a show that hates its audience, critics, source material, and itself. Mindy is a hack who thinks she's smarter than she really is.

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's a decent chance that the show's already got a second season coming, because that's just how animation is so often ordered.

1:1 equal chance these days (especially with HBO!) that a second season will be completed and in the can ready to be released when it's cancelled and sent to the Tax Write-off Vault never to see the light of day, so there's that.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I watched the Velma pilot, and my God.

So I was first creeped out by the shower scene. Like, who thought that having an opening scene take place in a girl's high school shower where they are mostly naked except the offending bits are barely covered with suds was a good idea, and why are they still working for you?

It was EXTREMELY off putting. Maybe I'm being a bit of a prude, but I don't know. It felt gratuitous and the way it was obviously sexualized just felt dirty.

Okay, focusing on the writing of the scene, and I think it's time to let people know that meta comedy isn't funny. Winking at the camera and saying "if this was a TV show, you'd totally would be doing this" isn't funny. It's played out. It's the obvious joke.

Just like the standard adult animation joke of having someone say y and then immediately the opposite happens.

Same thing with random violence. Watching a random person get their leg cut off randomly isn't funny. It's just strange.

The story is pretty bad. It's threadbare and thin.

The characters are all unlikable. Once again, adult animation writers - making cynically mean characters doesn't make me want to watch your show. Why do I want to spend time with any of these people?

I'm sorry that this isn't a good review. I just can't imagine how anyone looked at this and said "yeah, this is worth promoting." It's garbage tier adult animation. It's better than Brickleberry in that the animation isn't as stiff and dull. At least it looked okay.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

I watched the Velma pilot, and my God.

So I was first creeped out by the shower scene. Like, who thought that having an opening scene take place in a girl's high school shower where they are mostly naked except the offending bits are barely covered with suds was a good idea, and why are they still working for you?

It was EXTREMELY off putting. Maybe I'm being a bit of a prude, but I don't know. It felt gratuitous and the way it was obviously sexualized just felt dirty.

Okay, focusing on the writing of the scene, and I think it's time to let people know that meta comedy isn't funny. Winking at the camera and saying "if this was a TV show, you'd totally would be doing this" isn't funny. It's played out. It's the obvious joke.

Just like the standard adult animation joke of having someone say y and then immediately the opposite happens.

Same thing with random violence. Watching a random person get their leg cut off randomly isn't funny. It's just strange.

The story is pretty bad. It's threadbare and thin.

The characters are all unlikable. Once again, adult animation writers - making cynically mean characters doesn't make me want to watch your show. Why do I want to spend time with any of these people?

I'm sorry that this isn't a good review. I just can't imagine how anyone looked at this and said "yeah, this is worth promoting." It's garbage tier adult animation. It's better than Brickleberry in that the animation isn't as stiff and dull. At least it looked okay.

I get the impression they made it with a sort of "gently caress you" mentality and banked on bile fascination keeping people watching. But yeah apparently ultra violence and sexualized fifteen year olds is where the Scooby Doo franchise really needed to go. Christ that's a sentence.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think one of the biggest sins shows like this fall victim to is that they mistake the concept of a joke for the joke itself.

TV being nothing like reality is a concept for a joke. Making a scene where a character calls out what would have happened if this is a TV show isn't telling a joke, it's just giving us the concept. But now you ruined the reality of the scene and called out how contrive your writing is. It's lazy. You're just turning to the audience and saying "here is the joke. The joke is here. You might miss the joke. Pay attention, there's a joke. This is what the joke is."

Okay, comedy writers. The funny conversations you have with your friends about pop culture observations do not translate over into scripted comedy. What is funny when you're talking as yourselves about something doesn't work in a dramatic setting.

Basically, this is a show for pop culture obsessed adults who want to show off how smart they are.

If you want proof - AV Club gave this a B+.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

how many max original animated shows are there again?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Mantis42 posted:

how many max original animated shows are there again?

Harley Quinn hasn't been cancelled yet I think.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

HQ isn't actually a Max original, it premiered on DC Universe which was merged into HBO Max. So they're really fudging it with the qualifications.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

bobjr posted:

Harley Quinn hasn't been cancelled yet I think.

Actually this answers a lot of things for me. I think they're trying to ape off the style of that show and failing horribly. Like they don't understand how actual charm and emotional investment work but they make a lot of lovely over explained jokes so surely that'll make up for it.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so look at venture brothers, look at rick and morty. having velma be like daria, aloof, judgemental, sarcastic and disengaged.

No velma is an rear end in a top hat. not a bitch but an rear end in a top hat. But wait everyone else is also an rear end in a top hat.

that doesnt appeal to anyone. also are there any chud cartoons? other than sliver hawks

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Also the boring answer that it got a huge push. There's been a lot of media coverage and it was also the homepage fullscreen ad for me. I do watch Harley Quinn so maybe it was just targeted because of that, but a lot of shows that I'd like don't get the big recommendation.

Yeah I think it'll be more informative to see how the following episodes do - it's possible that a bunch of people who were interested or willing to give it a chance are put off and won't watch the rest.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Flopsy posted:

didn't Heathers pull off this feat too?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lid posted:

didn't Heathers pull off this feat too?

Look, I won't go to bat for Velma, but I thought Heathers was pretty good. Most of the criticism missed the point of the show -- it was ultimately a story about how the rot of middle class suburbia could affect anyone and ultimately consumed everyone, and saved its most vicious criticism for out of touch parents and failing institutions. The bullies were punished, or revealed to be irredeemable vacuous failures, and everyone else was given a happy ending.

It was mean, but the world is mean and Heathers was always mean. Effective satire is often mean.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mycot posted:

When the trailer for Q-Force (remember Q-Force?) came out it was the only time both sides of the political spectrum came together on something.

What was the right wing cartoon where all the characters looked like legless metaverse avatars? Pretty sure everyone immediately mocked it to death.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Look, I won't go to bat for Velma, but I thought Heathers was pretty good. Most of the criticism missed the point of the show -- it was ultimately a story about how the rot of middle class suburbia could affect anyone and ultimately consumed everyone, and saved its most vicious criticism for out of touch parents and failing institutions. The bullies were punished, or revealed to be irredeemable vacuous failures, and everyone else was given a happy ending.

It was mean, but the world is mean and Heathers was always mean. Effective satire is often mean.

Heathers is very good, actually.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Cemetry Gator posted:

If you want proof - AV Club gave this a B+.

From what I've seen in the lowest point of Simpsons thread, they often give out ratings like that for modern Simposons episodes.

Edit:

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 14, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Velma is a tv show whose biggest purpose in life is to be in bar trivia questions and be summarized on pages of Coffee News and Uncle John's Bathroom reader sections 10 years from now. The big marketing push makes it much harder for it to fulfil its natural destiny

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What was the right wing cartoon where all the characters looked like legless metaverse avatars? Pretty sure everyone immediately mocked it to death.

Was it on Comedy Central? I seem to remember a show with that animation style that was horrendously awful about a mayor's office in a small town, I think.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I think another thing that doesn't help Velma is that its main selling point is "It's Scooby-Doo...But SELF AWARE!"...Which has been literally every Scooby-Doo adaptation they've made since the 90s. It just comes across as an attempted parody of the property made by people who have only vaguely glanced at reruns of the original cartoon. Also everyone's an unlikable rear end in a top hat and the writing is winking so hard at the camera I can't hear the plot.

I did like the character designs and art direction, at least.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

Was it on Comedy Central? I seem to remember a show with that animation style that was horrendously awful about a mayor's office in a small town, I think.

Not sure if it was right wing but it was very very ugly/stupid and nobody loving wanted nor liked it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

It was produced by Stephen Colbert, so it wasn't right wing.

It's just that Stephen Colbert seems to have lost his comedic spark, or just puts his name on anything.

Because I can't see how anyone enjoyed Fairview.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently the new defense for Velma is "it's ACTUALLY lampooning Riverdale and so it's not fair to compare it to Scooby-Doo" when it's strip-mining Scooby for parts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently the new defense for Velma is "it's ACTUALLY lampooning Riverdale and so it's not fair to compare it to Scooby-Doo" when it's strip-mining Scooby for parts.

Lol who the gently caress is defending this. Like I get it, people like different stuff and I can’t really judge really because I love gay daemon show and moral Orel but like this show is just so grossly mean and cynical.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mindy Failing to make me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lol who the gently caress is defending this. Like I get it, people like different stuff and I can’t really judge really because I love gay daemon show and moral Orel but like this show is just so grossly mean and cynical.

Hey, now. Helluva Boss had more heart in that one scene with Loona and Octavia than I'm sure Velma will muster in its entire run. (I never saw Moral Orel.)