Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

fermun posted:

Lehner is still doing snake things? Didn't he already get sued for buying a bunch of anacondas on some kind of installment plan and then not paying?

The snake farm deal mentioned in the story was from 2017 so it's probably the same. Also, wasn't that around the time that Lehner was really struggling with his bpd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

nhl n/v january 2023: pretty sure your goalie is broker than jonathan quick sssssss

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Rent: $2000
Food: $1000
Utilities: $400
Exotic Snakes: $10,000,000

Someone help me fix my budget... Christ professional athletes are the dumbest people on the planet.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Literally posted:

The snake farm deal mentioned in the story was from 2017 so it's probably the same. Also, wasn't that around the time that Lehner was really struggling with his bpd?

yeah big python disorder

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mennoknight posted:

yeah big python disorder

too much time in the weights room, not enough time on the shrink's couch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I get it, Robin. A snake is nature's goalie.

The more you collect, the more they will reveal their secrets to you.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
"Lehner countersued in December of that year, claiming that he took on millions of dollars in costs taking care of Renick’s animals. At some point after Ben’s death, he said, the snakes “began breeding amongst one another in an unsupervised, uncontrolled manner.” That caused the collection of snakes to lose value, but Lehner’s attorneys did not specify by how much.

Renick Reptiles then claimed in July 2019 that at some point, Lehner “stole a collection of anacondas [from] Renick Reptiles’ place of business (as well as taking the collection of ball pythons that Lehner refused to pay for).” The lawsuit does not say how many snakes were allegedly taken."

Uncontrolled, value-depreciating snake orgies.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jamwad Hilder posted:

lmfao

Edit: this story is actually more insane than the headline too
This is Tiger King level insanity.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A six part Netflix documentary better be coming soon

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

NHL N/V January 223: Uncontrolled, value-depreciating snake orgies

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rubby:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
its a real shame the detroit vipers dont exist anymore, it would be a perfect spot for lehner

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I mean if you are going to blow your money- millions on a bunch of snakes is one of the cooler ways to do it

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Gerblederp posted:

Exotic animal people are all nuts lol

Dude really?

Do.....you NOT know about Lehner's mental health past and struggles?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/LeoScaglioneJr/status/1614133722131099649?t=d2R5iOpgZCAieNgA0dChGw&s=19

https://twitter.com/BillSpaulding/status/1614132923191660545?t=PAb24EpZygS-NTo70XCxzw&s=19

Dare I say, they're back baby? Devils look real confident again and I feel another nice little run coming on. No I don't mean 21-1, but 8 out of 10? Sure.

It's also pretty criminal how good Bratt is and how they absolutely cannot let him leave. He's perfect for the way they play.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

stab posted:

Dude really?

Do.....you NOT know about Lehner's mental health past and struggles?

Yeah that was not a well thought out post at 1 in the morning, my apologies.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well there was apparently a cobra king who was murdered by his wife, so...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I really hope the Devils fly into the playoffs, get swept, then hit Edmonton levels of suck for the next decade just so I dont have to scroll past 30 random fancy stat posts per page about why the Devils are the best team on the 4th day after a full moon when the tide is low between 6 and 7pm when opponents wear jerseys with red.

Also I want to laugh at Lehner but the guy has very real and serious mental health issues and its not clear yet whether murdered snake man took advantage of that.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

I really hope the Devils fly into the playoffs, get swept, then hit Edmonton levels of suck for the next decade just so I dont have to scroll past 30 random fancy stat posts per page about why the Devils are the best team on the 4th day after a full moon when the tide is low between 6 and 7pm when opponents wear jerseys with red.

:hmmyes:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

Also I want to laugh at Lehner but the guy has very real and serious mental health issues and its not clear yet whether murdered snake man took advantage of that.

I'm gonna be the annoying Devils fan who points out that metrics saying they're great are not nearly that complicated, literally just like, expected goals for

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Expected goals models are broken

Edit: this isn't to say that the Devils are bad, they have close to 60% GF at 5v5. It's just that xgf models or at least the public ones stink.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 14, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Are road wins and goals per game also broken?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Chad Sexington posted:

Are road wins and goals per game also broken?

Let me check the deserve-to-win-o-meter and get back to you

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1613975875523063808

Oh is that all???

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/turn_rake13/status/1614029978420617217

Volume up.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Give us 3x First rounders for this expensive D-man. He’s real good, and totally not broken (for a couple months now). We’re totally going to keep paying for some of it, totally.

That’s a big boat anchor and I doubt they’ll be able to move him. Even if he waives any NMC, that’s about 1/8th of the salary cap for him even if it’s mostly yearly bonuses and not salary.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

NHL GMs use the old "Start off asking for more then work your way down to what you actually want" tactic, only their starting points are always so high that they end up driving away all interest. Then either get stuck with the anchor or have to wait so long that the player isnt worth what they actually wanted and get less than expected.

Id like to present the Vancouver Canucks as Exhibit A.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Even at 18% retained, that's $9.4 million until 2027, and still 6th most expensive d-man in the league

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Grier denied that those rumors are accurate, so that should be taken lightly

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Grier denied that those rumors are accurate, so that should be taken lightly

“Totally inaccurate, if we’re retaining salary it better be 4 first-rounders and an NHL-ready prospect”

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

The Dirty Burger posted:

Let me check the deserve-to-win-o-meter and get back to you

Ah an arbitrary metric that's based upon...oh expected goals. Full circle baby awoooooooo

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Expected goals models are broken

Edit: this isn't to say that the Devils are bad, they have close to 60% GF at 5v5. It's just that xgf models or at least the public ones stink.

Team with 60% goals for has....wait for it....58% expected goals for 5v5. Team has 57% goals for all situations and 56% expected goals for. Yes yes. Extremely broken and inaccurate yes.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Furnaceface posted:

You don't have anything to post about for the next decade anyway, just don't read the thread.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Team with 60% goals for has....wait for it....58% expected goals for 5v5. Team has 57% goals for all situations and 56% expected goals for. Yes yes. Extremely broken and inaccurate yes.

Yeah but how are they in grit/60?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

th3t00t posted:

This is Tiger King level insanity.

If Renick is dead and his wife is in jail, who was suing Lehner then

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You can totally file lawsuits from prison, in fact like 80% of all lawsuits are filed by incarcerated people (almost all of them against the prison authority, granted)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Renick is dead and his wife is in jail, who was suing Lehner then

even if his wife is in jail, there is likely someone out there representing The Estate of Ben Renick who can file suit for money owed to it

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
This better be part of the Robin Lehner documentary after the requisite Billy Joel song for his Islanders stint and yes I know Joel is a Rangers fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3s21JJ7KXQ

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Should we mention all the teams where it isn't even close? I'm not talking about the devils specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Devils are a team I've been sort of rooting for the past few seasons because they've got exciting young players and have been bad for a while. In just half a season their fans destroyed all that good will by being annoying online. Which is fine, they should enjoy their team and all that, but I don't like them anymore and I hope they fail.