Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm extremely invested in the happiness of the owl demon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stephen Colbert is a very good performer, but as a producer he's been associated with a lot of bad projects. How much personal involvement he has with his other projects, who knows.

Ups_rail posted:

also are there any chud cartoons? other than sliver hawks

There was that Bored Ape NFT cartoon that got put out recently.

But also there's a lot of works out there that can be interpreted more broadly than you'd expect even if people have been socially divided along political lines.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was that Bored Ape NFT cartoon that got put out recently.

Wasn't that Seth Green? Who also got his apes stolen which ha ha.

Edit: Apparently he spent $300K to get it back. Lord.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

i'm not a helluva boss superfan but stolas is probably the #1 thing that kept it relevant, the cast of hazbin hotel is almost universally repellant but leaning onto his domestic troubles gave the show a pathos that hazbin (and helluva's pilot) lacked

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

i'm not a helluva boss superfan but stolas is probably the #1 thing that kept it relevant, the cast of hazbin hotel is almost universally repellant but leaning onto his domestic troubles gave the show a pathos that hazbin (and helluva's pilot) lacked

Hazbin I couldn't get into. Oddly I thought the same thing about Helluva Boss first but got into it a couple of episodes in for whatever reason.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I'm willing to give it a shot because the pilot for Helluva Boss is really bad too (Moxxie is an rear end in a top hat). I like Alistor but I like bad guys that are like >:]

I do not like Charlie's design at all

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ups_rail posted:

also are there any chud cartoons? other than sliver hawks
Rick & Morty

South Park

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I'm willing to give it a shot because the pilot for Helluva Boss is really bad too (Moxxie is an rear end in a top hat). I like Alistor but I like bad guys that are like >:]

To her credit Viv has expressed embarrassment over a lot of the things in pilots and is trying to do better.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't that Seth Green? Who also got his apes stolen which ha ha.

Edit: Apparently he spent $300K to get it back. Lord.

The one I had heard about was "The Red Ape Family", and I didn't remember anything about Seth Green's separate NFT project, which is apparently called "White Horse Tavern" and only features himself as the one bored ape. I poked around and dug up a trailer.

https://twitter.com/FFVV1211/status/1528043201885442048

It actually seems like decent production quality aside from the ugly ugly NFT art. Underneath the weird NFT gimmick, it seems like just a very common premise with nothing special about it at all. I guess it might be Seth Green trying to be down to Earth and genuine as opposed to most of his work, but it's a shame he's gonna try putting his heart out on something so dumb.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Macaluso posted:

Same, honestly I like the show more for it’s weird character drama and sappy stuff more then the humor, the humor is never bad to be fair but it’s hit or miss. It’s far from perfect and etc but those characters got their hooks in me. Plus I got into new hobbies and met new people because of it.

Macaluso posted:

Oh I hate the HB pilot and honestly it doesn’t get interesting until episode 2. I am curious about hazbin, I think the pilot had promise but suffered from HB pilot issues but it’s clear from HB, she and the team can do actual character stories with empathy if a little overly sappy.

Flopsy posted:

To her credit Viv has expressed embarrassment over a lot of the things in pilots and is trying to do better.

This.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, long gay Habsburg owl daemon is basically carrying the show emotionally though moxxie and Millie having an actual loving relationship is nice change of pace.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Same, honestly I like the show more for it’s weird character drama and sappy stuff more then the humor, the humor is never bad to be fair but it’s hit or miss. It’s far from perfect and etc but those characters got their hooks in me. Plus I got into new hobbies and met new people because of it.

Yeah, even when HB is on sometimes for instance it feels like they let Blitzo go off the rails. Which I know is his point, but it still feels like some moderation could help? I dunno.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, even when HB is on sometimes for instance it feels like they let Blitzo go off the rails. Which I know is his point, but it still feels like some moderation could help? I dunno.

yeah, they have been doing better with that though and at least it mostly ties into character poo poo.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

The one I had heard about was "The Red Ape Family", and I didn't remember anything about Seth Green's separate NFT project, which is apparently called "White Horse Tavern" and only features himself as the one bored ape. I poked around and dug up a trailer.

https://twitter.com/FFVV1211/status/1528043201885442048

It actually seems like decent production quality aside from the ugly ugly NFT art. Underneath the weird NFT gimmick, it seems like just a very common premise with nothing special about it at all. I guess it might be Seth Green trying to be down to Earth and genuine as opposed to most of his work, but it's a shame he's gonna try putting his heart out on something so dumb.

From the bit I saw of people looking at clips, it's depressingly sincere. I think Green was a true beliver in crypto and NFTs rather than most celebrities who were in it for the check. The one bit I saw of it other than being an insanely generic sitcom was that they did the Simpsons "Hey, look it's Guest Star, let's stroke their ego for a few minutes." Except it was about some crypto or NFT guy that only people really deep into it would know.

It might be one of the guys in that trailer, it's been a little too long to remember. But it was some embarrassing cameo.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 14, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

What HB desperately needs is for Blitzo to dial it back a little and start recognizing he needs to suck up his worse tendencies for the sake of his daughter. I think they're going in that direction but it's clear the dude is struggling. I just wish given what happened in episode 7 he realizes he's his own worst enemy when comes to interpersonal relationships and maybe stops blaming others for them going off the rails.

But at least it's strongly hinted the kind of attitude he's sporting ain't cute nor healthy in the long run and it's not romanticized as "we're all thinking it but he says it."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

What HB desperately needs is for Blitzo to dial it back a little and start recognizing he needs to suck up his worse tendencies for the sake of his daughter. I think they're going in that direction but it's clear the dude is struggling. I just wish given what happened in episode 7 he realizes he's his own worst enemy when comes to interpersonal relationships and maybe stops blaming others for them going off the rails.

But at least it's strongly hinted the kind of attitude he's sporting ain't cute nor healthy in the long run and it's not romanticized as "we're all thinking it but he says it."

i mean its probably all ties into why he has the scars and why fizz is quadruple amputee and i assume his mom is dead, i think the sister is in an asylum or something. i feel like their should have been an episode between s2 1 and 2 showing him and stolas starting to talk again but who knows. apperently next episode is moxxies past.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

From the bit I saw of people looking at clips, it's depressingly sincere. I think Green was a true beliver in crypto and NFTs rather than most celebrities who were in it for the check. The one bit I saw of it other than being an insanely generic sitcom was that they did the Simpsons "Hey, look it's Guest Star, let's stroke their ego for a few minutes." Except it was about some crypto or NFT guy that only people really deep into it would know.

It might be one of the guys in that trailer, it's been a little too long to remember. But it was some embarrassing cameo.

yeah, i think this is greene trying to make an actual meaningful animation and he is using this to do it. sad really.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Flopsy posted:

I think with Loona, more of the work needs to come from her side becasue Blitzo always seems to dote on Loona but she doesn't reciprocate any of it even though it's clear she appreciates him. She says as much to Octavia. But Blitzo never sees anything but mostly anger toward him. I really hope the preview clip of Blitzo and Loona at some kind of party or something leads to a real bonding moment between them.

But then on the other hand you have Stolas who doesn't seem to care at all about Blitzo's status vs his status, and seems to really like him, but Blitzo is fighting it or sabotaging it. Be cute and watch a movie together with Stolas you dumb jerk :mad:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I think with Loona, more of the work needs to come from her side becasue Blitzo always seems to dote on Loona but she doesn't reciprocate any of it even though it's clear she appreciates him. She says as much to Octavia. But Blitzo never sees anything but mostly anger toward him. I really hope the preview clip of Blitzo and Loona at some kind of party or something leads to a real bonding moment between them.

But then on the other hand you have Stolas who doesn't seem to care at all about Blitzo's status vs his status, and seems to really like him, but Blitzo is fighting it or sabotaging it. Be cute and watch a movie together with Stolas you dumb jerk :mad:

Blitzo is terrified he's not sincere (thinks he's just a fetish) and is naturally recalcitrant about committing. Stolas needs to move past his passiveness and fear of confrontation and make it clear he's serious about them and values him beyond the sex. Both of these sad dads need to actually talk to each other instead of avoiding the hard conversations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

i kinda love how much my opinion 180s with stolas. in the pilot and episode 1, he just comes off a rich bored horny prick, then you learn that he actually isnt that much of a bad guy and its mostly because he is just super new to actual relationships of any kind so of course he is weird horny dude.

Flopsy posted:

Blitzo is terrified he's not sincere (thinks he's just a fetish) and is naturally recalcitrant about committing. Stolas needs to move past his passiveness and fear of confrontation and make it clear he's serious about them and values him beyond the sex. Both of these sad dads need to actually talk to each other instead of avoiding the hard conversations.

yeah pretty much.

Macaluso posted:

I think various fans are weirdly to hard on loona because she is clearly super messed up from dickensian hell pound/orphanage so god knows what baggage that comes with

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 15, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i kinda love how much my opinion 180s with stolas. in the pilot and episode 1, he just comes off a rich bored horny prick, then you learn that he actually isnt that much of a bad guy and its mostly because he is just super new to actual relationships of any kind so of course he is weird horny dude.

yeah pretty much.

I think various fans are weirdly to hard on loona because she is clearly super messed up from dikensian hell pound/orphanage so god knows what bagage that comes with

Sure absolutely, and she is a teenager too on top of that after all. But I'd still like to see at least one scene where she lets Blitzo know she cares about him to his face, even if it's just a little bit.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The biggest struggle in hell seems to be being honest about your feelings. Millie and Moxxie do okay because they're not ashamed to be honest about loving each other and don't give drat what others think. But even royalty is bent beneath the weight of reputation.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think various fans are weirdly to hard on loona because she is clearly super messed up from dikensian hell pound/orphanage so god knows what bagage that comes with

It's funny coming to HB because this is literally the only place I talk about it but whenever Loona got actual focus I found her realistically awkward even before we found she came from a hellhound orphanarium, like when she tells the the other hellhound on the beach she doesn't have any friends. Blitzo is kind of a lot so I get it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

The biggest struggle in hell seems to be being honest about your feelings. Millie and Moxxie do okay because they're not ashamed to be honest about loving each other and don't give drat what others think. But even royalty is bent beneath the weight of reputation.

yeah, its a hosed up toxic society where life is cheap and everyone is a prisoner to some degree of society, its just sometimes you can see the shackles and sometimes you can't. like most of the characters of HB are the cananon fodder slave class of some sort and even stolas is basicaly some random middle rung princeling that born to crap out a potential heir.

Macaluso posted:

Sure absolutely, and she is a teenager too on top of that after all. But I'd still like to see at least one scene where she lets Blitzo know she cares about him to his face, even if it's just a little bit.

same and i assume we will get one.

Dawgstar posted:

It's funny coming to HB because this is literally the only place I talk about it but whenever Loona got actual focus I found her realistically awkward even before we found she came from a hellhound orphanarium, like when she tells the the other hellhound on the beach she doesn't have any friends. Blitzo is kind of a lot so I get it.

same honestly, most of my friends are indifferent to it(which is cool) and the fanbase places mostly care about horny posting or OC or weird fights about dumb poo poo.

i fully admit the show has its flaws but its more fun to talk about then alot of adult animated stuff out right now, espcially since alot of stuff just gets canceled 1 season in or sucks poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 15, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i fully admit the show has its flaws but its more fun to talk about then alot of adult animated stuff out right now, espcially since alot of stuff just gets canceled 1 season in or sucks poo poo.

The fact we're actually having a real conversation about the character interactions and how hell is structured socially shows how HB actually succeeds in spite of it's flaws unlike Velma which is so loving spiteful it falls on it's rear end out of the gate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

The fact we're actually having a real conversation about the character interactions and how hell is structured socially shows how HB actually succeeds in spite of it's flaws unlike Velma which is so loving spiteful it falls on it's rear end out of the gate.

yeah, hence why i love it. i think thats what makes me sad about velma because it could have been interesting or good but its just so stupidly cyncle and generic that it pisses away any attempts of good feelings. what is so hard about creating a show where characters have some actual relationships and feelings and poo poo. like you can still be hosed up and raunchy and violent, people love that poo poo, hell you can even be cyncile, just don't be that.

hell, i even comissioned poo poo from artists because of it.

i have a couple others coming eventually from different artists.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hell, i even comissioned poo poo from artists because of it.

If it helps I'm seriously considering getting a Loona print autographed by Erica Lindbeck.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps I'm seriously considering getting a Loona print autographed by Erica Lindbeck.

i waited 4 hours in line at con for a tiny sketch/autograph from viv and part of the cast. felt good. where do you even order those prints because id get a group print sometime.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cemetry Gator posted:

It was produced by Stephen Colbert, so it wasn't right wing.

It's just that Stephen Colbert seems to have lost his comedic spark, or just puts his name on anything.

Because I can't see how anyone enjoyed Fairview.

Fairview. That's the name! I just assumed it was right wing because of how much a parody of liberals it seemed. And how bad it looked.

I mean, just look at this loving thing:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Fairview. That's the name! I just assumed it was right wing because of how much a parody of liberals it seemed. And how bad it looked.

I mean, just look at this loving thing:

jesus christ why are so many of these shows so loving ugly.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Adult animation comedy: make it look as ugly as loving possible.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Adult animation comedy: make it look as ugly as loving possible.

Why though?

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

to keep costs low

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
To make it less appealing to children.

Turns out children watch it anyway.

Well not Fairview, no one watched that.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ugly and mean spirited means it must be for adults. Obviously. Because why would we like anything else? Why I know I can't enjoy anything genuine anymore in my old age. If it's not some venomous overly explained joke how can I know it's funny? If I'm not shown people using gently caress words and expressing undiluted loathing for each other I just can't find it relatable!

I imagine the reasoning is something along those lines? That and a raging insecurity about being considered "kiddie"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's mostly because visually appealing things would appeal to children, so the adult animation wants to differentiate itself. Not just because they want to avoid complaints from parents, but because the makers of adult animation are anxious about seeming immature, and they need to prove that they're adult by maintaining a level of gross stuff and swears.

But also because ugly is cheap.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Ugly and mean spirited means it must be for adults. Obviously. Because why would we like anything else? Why I know I can't enjoy anything genuine anymore in my old age. If it's not some venomous overly explained joke how can I know it's funny? If I'm not shown people using gently caress words and expressing undiluted loathing for each other I just can't find it relatable!

I imagine the reasoning is something along those lines? That and a raging insecurity about being considered "kiddie"

i mean the dude had alot of issues, but i always liked that CS lewis quote of about that which can be sumed up as "grow up and who cares".

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I mean you can still give your art a personality despite it being cheap. That looks like one of those free lovely games I keep getting blasted for on YouTube ads.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It looks like the Fairview people all have the same eyes, eyebrows, mouths, and only slight differences in their noses. The only other differences are skin color, hair style, and clothes. In other words, they're designed to be interchangeable like Bitmojis, and I've only ever seen professional managerial liberals using them for their avatars, so maybe there's a connection there. Maybe it's the liberal version of NFTs, and without the crypto aspect they're still drawn to the idea of up-front investment in asset recycling, and also they're like HD emojis, and HD > SD, so it appeals to yuppie material accumulation of things that are status symbols but hollow inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Sorry, what?