Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022

stillvisions posted:

The same people angry that math never taught them how to split a dinner bill are the same people angry that math made them do "stupid word problems" about splitting a pie into different-sized pieces as "not ever useful in real life".

I teach sixth grade english and its weird the number of times I will be teaching basic writing and reading comprehension skills and students will ask me, "When are we ever going to use this in real life?" In their defense, they are children. But it's honestly something people of all ages like to say without actually taking the time to think about for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Doug Walker just has a fascinating mind. He completely sincerely sang a song about Roger Waters being whiney and selfish shortly before comparing him being cancelled on twitter to the third Reich exterminating minorities

Like just, how?? How can your brain work that way?? What does the world look like from your eyes??

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
doug thinks he is the main character of the universe and has zero self awareness

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Most American kids are taught the math involved in taxes and the like, it's just that they either forget the specifics or are too dumb to make the one step connection. I went to a school that had a home econ class that was specifically about budgetting income verse expenses and payments on a mortgage/rent and my former classmates will still make those exact same sort of complaints about schooling, and are baffled when I tell them Miss Novak's class literally taught them the thing they claim is not taught.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Who in their right minds actually gets upset about media literacy?
TV IV's the Boys thread has multiple people who think Homelander isn't racist and one particularly stupid guy who thought Stormfront wasn't a Nazi.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

TV IV's the Boys thread has multiple people who think Homelander isn't racist and one particularly stupid guy who thought Stormfront wasn't a Nazi.

lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the character intentionally named after the infamous white supremacist website and who is a nazi super soldier who talks about how much she loves nazis whenever she is on screen is not a nazi

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Who in their right minds actually gets upset about media literacy?

People also get upset because media literacy inevitably delves into politics and will suddenly address such woke and radical topics such as "racism exists".

They want media literacy to begin and end with "I liked the part at the end where Action Man said something funny that referenced something else I recognized and then killed many Bad Men at the same time, what's more to unpack than that?"

Maybe if they want to get really deep they can explain that the joke was actually a reference to another media property which was also cool and about killing up a bunch of people at the same time.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the character intentionally named after the infamous white supremacist website and who is a nazi super soldier who talks about how much she loves nazis whenever she is on screen is not a nazi

Was writing the above and this shows up. Yeah.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Legal Eagle covers the ongoing DnD licensing debacle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZQJQYqhAgY

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stillvisions posted:

The same people angry that math never taught them how to split a dinner bill are the same people angry that math made them do "stupid word problems" about splitting a pie into different-sized pieces as "not ever useful in real life".

It also had that resonance of "high effort, zero insight" which is just a magnet for pulling apart, like the best "so bad it's good" media. If he just sat there and strummed out his songs on a ukulele for 20 minutes while botching the lyrics of his parody it would have been forgotten instantly, but this was his Ed Wood "this is the one they're gonna remember me by" aspirational moment. Add to that his long "experience" in the field of reviews makes it even more incongruous; this would be like Wiseau having been making movies for a decade before suddenly dropping The Room.

I almost feel bad for the guy - every time he stretches his hand past the edge of his cage (Demo Reel, The Wall, maybe we'll be generous and not include his foray into Let's Plays) it gets incinerated, but it also shows he's not exactly good reaching outside the cage.

The comparison to Ed Wood is curious, because I seem to recall Doug did a mini-review of Ed Wood the film years and years back where he actually paused to analyze the character of Ed Wood the person and the film maker and he, weirdly, raises the same points about Wood that Dan Olson raises about him; that Ed Wood wanted to create art, but didn't have the talent, know-how, or funding to accomplish his goals and he drove away all of his friends and collaborators because he was an rear end in a top hat, and how he was a pitiable creature because of it.

You have to wonder, was he seeing something of himself in Wood and expressing a bit of sympathy for a man in similar situations to him and/or had the twinge of fear that he would turn into an Ed Wood himself, or did he just not loving get it at all? Also this was, bear in mind, over 10 years ago, I believe, so it's possible he's regressed since then as everyone who would have been able to challenge him intellectually and keep him honest has been filtered out of his life now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlq3ugCCFNQ&t=214s

E: No, he actually didn't get it, he says he thinks his own work is loving amazing in the video :negative:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 14, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

"But she's hot. I can fix her, dude."

And that's one of the many good changes from the original comic where Stormfront is a big Aryan dude and a good commentary on how it's easy to promote an awful agenda if you're hot.

How somebody didn't see said agenda is... I don't know. Does their monitor not work?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s entirely possible I don’t remember it because I have adhd and school was a nightmare for me bc I suck at learning anything but I really don’t remember learning how to do taxes or anything like that. Just those crazy math problems with a thousand steps that I got lost on after the 3rd step lol.

I may also have a learning disability too! Or just stupid. Or both!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

"But she's hot. I can fix her, dude."

And that's one of the many good changes from the original comic where Stormfront is a big Aryan dude and a good commentary on how it's easy to promote an awful agenda if you're hot.

How somebody didn't see said agenda is... I don't know. Does their monitor not work?

most of the changes the amazon series made were for the best and make it a far better story than the comic

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 14, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol at something created by garth ennis being too subtle for goons

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like any other skill math is something that needs to be practiced to stay good at. You only do taxes once a year, so unless your job involves financial math or you balance your check book weekly it's going to be cumbersome. No amount of schooling can fix that.

Same way I don't remember anything of the four years of Spanish I took.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Solitair posted:

Has she ever covered Six Feet Under (the show)?

I don't think so, but I haven't watched every video on her channel. I know she did something similar where she discussed famous film corpses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ohis8hE9LM

Happy Landfill posted:

This lady is delightful :allears:

This suddenly reminded me of a period in middle school where I would frequently re-read the novelization of My Girl 2. I had never seen My Girl 2. I had never seen My Girl 1. I had never read the novelization of My Girl 1. Just My Girl 2.

I still have not seen either of those movies.

I had no idea there were multiple books or movies. This is a chilling prospect.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZuXVp3m0Ms
A new video essay from kaptainkristian

quote:

From Silent Hill to The Blair Witch Project and Ring; a look back at the comforting, melancholic atmosphere of Horror media in the late 1990s.
and it gets quite personal too. There are some really good moments in here cutting between scenes that match up in different media.
I was a bit put off by his... really serious monotone at first, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Usually when I think "when on earth am I going to use X" when it comes to school stuff, it's entirely high level poo poo like trigonometry where I'm not even sure I can even describe what trig actually is off the top of my head. Well past general concepts like "word problems". (Though also there's probably some quibbling to be had about the quality and style of word problems; directly placing math into real world examples is one thing, creating tedious riddles is another.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

To contribute to that, is Stormfront known that much outside of America? I know people in Britain and Australia will try and pull Sovereign Citizen stunts and Q-Anon is worldwide but do people know about Stormfront on a large scale? Or am I just getting that mixed up with Free Republic?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I have an incredibly hard time doing mental math to the point I did get put in special ed in school for it, and I never got past advanced algebra and geometry in HS. Naturally I got a job where I do have to use math on a regular basis. :v: Thankfully, that's what calculators and Excel are for.

Even still, whenever I have to walk someone through what I'd describe as a "simple algebra equation" so basic even my math-dumb rear end can recall it and punch it into a calculator, I do notice most peoples' eyes glaze over or widen in horror while I'm talking. People plain don't like math. It's tedious and boring and big numbers or decimals are intimidating.

People are dumb about media because they're not actively paying attention to something and probably haven't practiced any reading comprehension skills since they were in high school or college and forced to pay attention because they'd be quizzed on poo poo.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

To contribute to that, is Stormfront known that much outside of America? I know people in Britain and Australia will try and pull Sovereign Citizen stunts and Q-Anon is worldwide but do people know about Stormfront on a large scale? Or am I just getting that mixed up with Free Republic?
Even if you don't get the name, just watching even one scene with her should clue you in.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

it’s definitely one of the most prominent Nazi websites/organizations out there, but your average person doesn’t know a lot about neo Nazis, which thankfully are less common in real life than online.

I remember when she was first introduced, a few commenters were like “uhhh the writers are gonna feel so dumb when they hear about the other stormfront”

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
What's Harry Dresden have to do with this?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Scorched Spitz posted:

What's Harry Dresden have to do with this?

I understand this reference.

Also Harry is one of those characters it'd be fun to drop into pretty any universe. After a day he'd have been beaten up twice, accidentally killed three main villains and lost the only friend he'd made to a horrific fate.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Its a good day for Joel's on youtube.

First, Little Joel has a song about horses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_6-gYQwWMA

Next, Joel Haver has an existential crisis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VZlWIW5ZdM

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

RareAcumen posted:

In the UK, when you Google Stormfront you get the neo-Nazi poo poo first (the Boys wiki is second). This is especially noteworthy because Apple have physical stores here still that until earlier this year were called Stormfront and you had to actively be specific if you were looking for those. I have no idea if that part holds true in the US as well, but just to make it even more egregious and inexplicable a couple years back they even ran ads here trying out a new slogan of "When you think Apple, think Stormfront."

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Its a good day for Joel's on youtube.

First, Little Joel has a song about horses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_6-gYQwWMA

Next, Joel Haver has an existential crisis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VZlWIW5ZdM

I firmly believe, that Big Joel quitting Twitter is the reason we have this Little Joel channel, and I for one, could not be more thankful.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

nine-gear crow posted:

The comparison to Ed Wood is curious, because I seem to recall Doug did a mini-review of Ed Wood the film years and years back where he actually paused to analyze the character of Ed Wood the person and the film maker and he, weirdly, raises the same points about Wood that Dan Olson raises about him; that Ed Wood wanted to create art, but didn't have the talent, know-how, or funding to accomplish his goals and he drove away all of his friends and collaborators because he was an rear end in a top hat, and how he was a pitiable creature because of it.

You have to wonder, was he seeing something of himself in Wood and expressing a bit of sympathy for a man in similar situations to him and/or had the twinge of fear that he would turn into an Ed Wood himself, or did he just not loving get it at all? Also this was, bear in mind, over 10 years ago, I believe, so it's possible he's regressed since then as everyone who would have been able to challenge him intellectually and keep him honest has been filtered out of his life now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlq3ugCCFNQ&t=214s

E: No, he actually didn't get it, he says he thinks his own work is loving amazing in the video :negative:

A lot of successful creation (either or critical or financial sense where you make something and a lot of eyeballs see it) needs an oversized ego to happen. That oversized ego turns a daydream or a teenager strumming on a couch with a notebook into someone saying "I'm gonna share this and people are gonna like it" on stage with their friends in a rock band, for instance. Enough of those people try to share it with the world and we get good stuff that is remembered and bad stuff that is usually quickly forgotten. Maybe in the early days people sharing videos of themselves with their friends didn't need it, but if you're gonna go online and potentially show your rear end, you need some ego.

Doug is not lacking in that department, and that alone isn't a problem. Oversized ego gets your stuff in front of eyeballs, but quality gets it judged.

People who know enough to have long crossed the self-awareness chasm of Dunning-Kruger often face that problem where they know (or simply fear) their stuff isn't up to "big time" par, but don't want to put their self-aware bad stuff out there either, where when you're young and confident you don't have that problem so you just throw everything against the wall and see what sticks. I've had conversations with many older creative friends who just can't muster that unshakeable confidence now that they know what they don't know, and I joke that cocaine became the natural drug of choice for experienced/burned out creative people because it gave them back that raging "my stuff is awesome" ego that later experience robs them of.

It's an especially exceptional situation because Doug has managed to be around so long where he should know, on some level, when his stuff isn't up to par, but he's got an ego that overrides that it seems. It's a rare combination of supposed experience but lack of insight that needs a major ego to overcome.

It's like a Neil Breen situation where even after being found by the public he does not appear to have changed; it's a rare thing to have your work be incontrovertibly confronted by "oh god this is bad" and still stay the course the next time.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Does anyone remember the music recommendations from the last Time Rogers review? A bunch of airy 80s and 90s japanese pop that I'm in the mood for, but too lazy to scrub the video

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Usually when I think "when on earth am I going to use X" when it comes to school stuff, it's entirely high level poo poo like trigonometry where I'm not even sure I can even describe what trig actually is off the top of my head. Well past general concepts like "word problems". (Though also there's probably some quibbling to be had about the quality and style of word problems; directly placing math into real world examples is one thing, creating tedious riddles is another.)

I work in trades, the dawning horror on students faces when they realise that percentages, trigonometry, formula transposition are required and sometimes used everyday is always hilarious to me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Even if you don't get the name, just watching even one scene with her should clue you in.

Oh not doubting that, mostly just curious about the website itself because I dunno if it's a case of it being widespread and I don't look that hard for America racism poisoning other countries with our variant of it or they just have their own.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it’s definitely one of the most prominent Nazi websites/organizations out there, but your average person doesn’t know a lot about neo Nazis, which thankfully are less common in real life than online.

I remember when she was first introduced, a few commenters were like “uhhh the writers are gonna feel so dumb when they hear about the other stormfront”

Lotus Aura posted:

In the UK, when you Google Stormfront you get the neo-Nazi poo poo first (the Boys wiki is second). This is especially noteworthy because Apple have physical stores here still that until earlier this year were called Stormfront and you had to actively be specific if you were looking for those. I have no idea if that part holds true in the US as well, but just to make it even more egregious and inexplicable a couple years back they even ran ads here trying out a new slogan of "When you think Apple, think Stormfront."

Yeah like, the UK has Mumsnet but I don't know if the US has their own or they just jumped onto the one that already exists with the huge userbase pre-built into it.

Regardless, interesting to know what people meant by media literacy. Here I was thinking it was about the subtle things going on and themes and stuff and not just the basic 'Why does only Jay get to be a Men in Black agent? All the other guys were such good shots!' plot people are getting confused by.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
you can filter out ppl who have never had a real job bc anyone who has knows that taxes for 99% of people is literally filling out boxes with the exact information provided by an external party and literally never involves math that isnt addition lol

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I gladly subsidize turbo tax and perform the government's work for them every year!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

I gladly subsidize turbo tax and perform the government's work for them every year!

After 10 years of using Turbox Tax, I finally used something on it other than "file taxes."

Which was just "download last year's return" as my computer is broken and back-up hard drive failed, and some financial aide provider asked for them.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I have never heard of Stormfront the site before now and that either says something about my nation or my naivety.
Probably moreso the latter.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Most tax math is people making extremely stupid withholding decisions on the W-4.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fun hater posted:

you can filter out ppl who have never had a real job bc anyone who has knows that taxes for 99% of people is literally filling out boxes with the exact information provided by an external party and literally never involves math that isnt addition lol

Yeah it really easy. I guess my point was no hs math class ever said “hey this is how you do taxes”

I remember when I sat down and asked my dad to help me with my taxes, he stayed on the line in silence for the most part except when I couldn’t quite figure out the phrasing of something lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

carrionman posted:

I work in trades, the dawning horror on students faces when they realize that percentages, trigonometry, formula transposition are required and sometimes used everyday is always hilarious to me.

Yeah, the math curriculum was designed for that sort of stuff. Anyone going into trades is going to get the absolute most out of their k-12 math education!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

DeafNote posted:

I have never heard of Stormfront the site before now and that either says something about my nation or my naivety.
Probably moreso the latter.

To be fair there is a concerted effort to memory hole that site from existence, much like kiwi farms

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
stormfront carries around a photo of herself partying with goebbels and himmler and she fondly reminisces about her nazi friends lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

stormfront carries around a photo of herself partying with goebbels and himmler and she fondly reminisces about her nazi friends lol

no see it's ironic - Somebody, probably.