Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

BonHair posted:

You want slightly below boiling for coffee, so it's potentially perfect.

Thats for espresso and middle to dark roast coffees. If you drink light roasted stuff, you usually want boiling water for the best extraction. But in the end its up to taste, that's actually nice, you can just experiment and get wildly different tasting notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Whatever happened to flash and why has there not been a good replacement?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

dokmo posted:

Whatever happened to flash and why has there not been a good replacement?

The flash player (and all of the flash-likes) was a massive security vulnerability. Anyway, these days you can do pretty much everything natively in the browser that you used to use flash for, but nobody's made a replacement app for the flash authoring tool that works with the new browser stuff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The iphone happened to flash. When steve said “no flash. ever. use HTML5” it meant that flash’s days were numbered.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Can you legally charge a cancelation fee for a free appointment?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mostly anything you wanted to do with Flash you can now do with HTML5 or JavaScript, see free game sites like https://www.crazygames.com/

Or this proof of concept for WebGL recreating Doom (without full functionality) http://github.int13h.com/webgldoom/doom.html

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Can you legally charge a cancelation fee for a free appointment?

Were you handed any paperwork that indicated that cancellation fees may apply? Assuming this is for a doctor or something, it is probably office policy that cancellations must be within such and such time ahead of the appointment. If that's the case, it's not illegal for them to try and collect because you not showing up means that they miss out on some potential income. However, if you have a reason for cancelling without advance notice, try talking to someone in the office and, assuming this is not a regular thing, they might waive it.

I have 3 questions of my own

1) Is there a good play to read about all the hubbub with Wizards of the Coast and the latest stupid thing they were trying to do? It sounded like they were trying to muscle out small independent gaming shops or other similar dickery, but I haven't been able to find a solid source.

2) I have seen 2 kinds of 3D printing. The one I'm most familiar with involves plastic filament, which is dispersed from a nozzle, layer by layer, until the design is completed. The second one I've seen involves a puddle of liquid plastic, and the base is dipped into the liquid, and somehow layer by layer the 3D form takes shape. How does the second method work?

3) On the subject of 3D printing, are there any reliable/goon sources for getting something printed? I have a project I'd like to get a 3-4 inch figurine printed for.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

2) I have seen 2 kinds of 3D printing. The one I'm most familiar with involves plastic filament, which is dispersed from a nozzle, layer by layer, until the design is completed. The second one I've seen involves a puddle of liquid plastic, and the base is dipped into the liquid, and somehow layer by layer the 3D form takes shape. How does the second method work?

A laser beam is curing a single slice layer at a time, along with any support material required by the piece. After each layer, the platform is moved by one layer step and the laser builds the next layer atop the previous one.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

1) Is there a good play to read about all the hubbub with Wizards of the Coast and the latest stupid thing they were trying to do? It sounded like they were trying to muscle out small independent gaming shops or other similar dickery, but I haven't been able to find a solid source.

I haven't found a good article about it yet (watching major newspapers try to cover this is pretty funny though) but the wikipedia page has a ton of sources so you can probably get a picture of what's going on from reading it and checking where the citations are from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Game_License

The only really specific thing I found is that businesses profiting from Open Gaming License products have to report their quarterly profits to Hasbro and starting in 2024, they have to pay 25% of earnings to Hasbro if their earnings are over 750k. The most notable thing that's going to be hit is Pathfinder but also a bunch of other smaller TTRPG systems.

It's real confusing because Wizards already made a new, more restrictive "Game System License" for 4th Edition, which they are now replacing yet again. Products based on the OGL for previous D&D editions were left alone for the most part but I guess not anymore? I can't tell if it will also target youtube videos, iphone apps, games and so on.

My take on it is that they are trying to stifle competition from smaller publishers under the assumption that if they gave permission to use some element of D&D, they can also revoke it after the fact. Margins are not great in this business so anybody who does get hit by the Hasbro tax will suffer quite a bit.

E: Just for clarity, the original purpose of the OGL was to allow folks to make and sell their own homebrew source books and roleplaying systems using the skeleton of D&D's ruleset. The idea being that more players = more customers.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 13, 2023

Aliased
Nov 7, 2022
This is a really silly question.

Growing up my mother and grandmother used a word that sounded like foo-yay-ing, or perhaps foo-ae-ing. Context was like "stop fooyaying around and help me with the dishes." Used pretty interchangeably with lollygagging.

Does anyone else know this word and how it might actually be spelled? Did my family just make it up? Is it real but so obscure it doesn't exist in dictionaries?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna guess that's just a dialect variation on "fooling".

Re: OGL, a 25% tax in a business where margins are going to be under 10% is Hasbro trying to run perceived competitors out of business. It's no wonder that they're taking up arms rather than dying quietly.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Aliased posted:

This is a really silly question.

Growing up my mother and grandmother used a word that sounded like foo-yay-ing, or perhaps foo-ae-ing. Context was like "stop fooyaying around and help me with the dishes." Used pretty interchangeably with lollygagging.

Does anyone else know this word and how it might actually be spelled? Did my family just make it up? Is it real but so obscure it doesn't exist in dictionaries?

I know it would be weird to use, but maybe foraging? That's the first thing that popped into my head.

Aliased
Nov 7, 2022
Someone helped me figure out it's fouiller, pronounced fooyeh. It's cajun french apparently, which matches where the family came from originally!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Has anyone else's android phone been trying to force Google Assistant on them lately? It'll just come up randomly despite nothing being said aloud or gestures accidently used or anything like that. I dug through the settings to turn it off but now instead it'll just randomly bring up a prompt to turn it back on, multiple times a day.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

El Jeffe posted:

Has anyone else's android phone been trying to force Google Assistant on them lately? It'll just come up randomly despite nothing being said aloud or gestures accidently used or anything like that. I dug through the settings to turn it off but now instead it'll just randomly bring up a prompt to turn it back on, multiple times a day.

Not happening for me.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

hooah posted:

Not happening for me.

Interesting. I think I may just be accidentally doing a long press on the home button or something, but it's odd that it only started happening a week or two ago.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

Interesting. I think I may just be accidentally doing a long press on the home button or something, but it's odd that it only started happening a week or two ago.

A recent (to me) feature is holding power button to get assistant, instead of the power off menu. Could it be that?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

alnilam posted:

A recent (to me) feature is holding power button to get assistant, instead of the power off menu. Could it be that?

Yeah, that would explain it! I think it did start after the recent system update now that I think about it. Thanks!

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Which brings up a stupid question for me: are there usage statistics for voice assistants? I know a grand total of one person who uses Siri, and nobody at all who uses Google. It seems like they're trying to push a rope uphill to get people to use these things. Or maybe my sphere of people is just tech-challenged?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CzarChasm posted:

1) The Trad Games Industry thread is all over that lately, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301

2) The resin, or "puddle of liquid plastic" is cured by ultraviolet light. Below the vat with the puddle in it, is an LED producing ultraviolet light. That turns on for a bit in a pattern that corresponds to the "slice" of the model that it's working on currently, then the print plate lifts up, then lowers back down for the next exposure. Each exposure adds a thin new layer of hardened resin on the print plate. The files the 3d printer actually prints are calculated from the 3d file with the actual geometry of the model you're printing. Each slice is a literal slice horizontally through the 3d model. That's why the programs that turn a .STL format 3d model into a printer-ready file are called slicers. They also include metadata like exposure time, lifting speed, and all sorts of other fiddly stuff, but the slice of the model is the important bit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lawnie posted:

A laser beam is curing a single slice layer at a time, along with any support material required by the piece. After each layer, the platform is moved by one layer step and the laser builds the next layer atop the previous one.

mllaneza posted:

2) The resin, or "puddle of liquid plastic" is cured by ultraviolet light. Below the vat with the puddle in it, is an LED producing ultraviolet light. That turns on for a bit in a pattern that corresponds to the "slice" of the model that it's working on currently, then the print plate lifts up, then lowers back down for the next exposure. Each exposure adds a thin new layer of hardened resin on the print plate. The files the 3d printer actually prints are calculated from the 3d file with the actual geometry of the model you're printing. Each slice is a literal slice horizontally through the 3d model. That's why the programs that turn a .STL format 3d model into a printer-ready file are called slicers. They also include metadata like exposure time, lifting speed, and all sorts of other fiddly stuff, but the slice of the model is the important bit.
To elaborate a bit on these answers, both of these are doing the same thing, but the fancier, more expensive printers used to use the scanning laser method initially. Eventually someone realized you can do the same thing with a cheap tablet LCD, so the second method became popular with hobby grade stuff.

Tad Naff posted:

Which brings up a stupid question for me: are there usage statistics for voice assistants? I know a grand total of one person who uses Siri, and nobody at all who uses Google. It seems like they're trying to push a rope uphill to get people to use these things. Or maybe my sphere of people is just tech-challenged?
I remember seeing some stats in a recent article about Alexa. I assume like a lot of various market estimates, the numbers are pulled out of some analyst's rear end, but that's probably the best you'll get without propriety information

quote:

Business Insider's tracking now puts Alexa in third place in te US voice-assistant wars, with the Google Assistant at 81.5 million users, Apple's Siri at 77.6 million, and Alexa at 71.6 million.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/amazon-alexa-is-a-colossal-failure-on-pace-to-lose-10-billion-this-year/

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm surprised more people don't use it. Much faster to add appointments to your calendar via voice then to pull up the calendar app, find the day, create appointment, fill in the various fields etc. "Ok Google, create appointment for dental check-up at 3 pm next Thursday"

Or "call Golden Dragon restaurant" when I want to order Chinese.

The one feature they were working on that I think has unfortunately been dropped was how Google assistant could call and make reservations for you. Used it a couple times at my barber's and it worked great, though the barber was a little weirded out by it and asked me about it at that next appointment.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Tad Naff posted:

Anecdote but I use it a hell of a lot when I'm driving through Android Auto.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm surprised more people don't use it.

It's great for setting timers and alarms while cooking, because you can do it while your hands are covered in food or otherwise occupied. That's about the only thing I use it for though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Tad Naff posted:

I use it all the time, especially when my hands are busy doing other stuff. Play music, get weather forecasts, turn off the lights, tell me how long it takes to drive to my next thing, when I'm watching a foreign movie I ask it to tell me how much the currency is worth in dollars.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This is sort of relevant:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/amazon-alexa-is-a-colossal-failure-on-pace-to-lose-10-billion-this-year/

quote:

The report says that while Alexa's Echo line is among the "best-selling items on Amazon, most of the devices sold at cost." One internal document described the business model by saying, "We want to make money when people use our devices, not when they buy our devices."

That plan never really materialized, though. It's not like Alexa plays ad breaks after you use it, so the hope was that people would buy things on Amazon via their voice. Not many people want to trust an AI with spending their money or buying an item without seeing a picture or reading reviews. The report says that by year four of the Alexa experiment, "Alexa was getting a billion interactions a week, but most of those conversations were trivial commands to play music or ask about the weather." Those questions aren't monetizable.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

alnilam posted:

El Jeffe posted:

Yeah, that would explain it! I think it did start after the recent system update now that I think about it. Thanks!

It came in starting with Android 12, I think. Fortunately there's a setting to put it back to normal and have the power button bring up the power menu like it used to -- it's under Settings -> Apps -> Assistant -> Hold Power for your Assistant.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Today I had a Root Beer I hadn’t had before that I liked, and noted it was a nice “creamy” one

What’s causing that creamy flavor?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Today I had a Root Beer I hadn’t had before that I liked, and noted it was a nice “creamy” one

What’s causing that creamy flavor?

I think its often just extra vanilla.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah it's based on cream soda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_soda

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's a good egg cream supposed to taste like? I've had a few and found them underwhelming, but maybe I'm missing out if done properly?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Carillon posted:

What's a good egg cream supposed to taste like? I've had a few and found them underwhelming, but maybe I'm missing out if done properly?

IME, which is admittedly limited, the ones I had were like weak, watery chocolate milk. I think the shop in my hometown that made them used something like seltzer, hershey syrup and milk. Didn't do anything for me, way inferior to even a bad milkshake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When it's windy and I'm riding my bike, I can't hear anything over the sound of the wind in my ears. What's a good way to block that noise out so I can hear?

I've tried wrapping a scarf around my head, under the helmet, and that does work but it gets extremely sweaty when the weather's hot (as it has been lately), so I'd like a better solution if anyone can think of one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you turn your head 90 degrees then the wind noise gets cut, but this has obvious secondary issues. :v:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are the Louvre and Ile de La city subject to floods?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

Are the Louvre and Ile de La city subject to floods?
Yes, although it seems like they have a plan in place (move most stuff somewhere else).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

When it's windy and I'm riding my bike, I can't hear anything over the sound of the wind in my ears. What's a good way to block that noise out so I can hear?

I've tried wrapping a scarf around my head, under the helmet, and that does work but it gets extremely sweaty when the weather's hot (as it has been lately), so I'd like a better solution if anyone can think of one.

Google around and you'll find little wind deflectors that you attach to your helmet strap right in front of your ear.

I've never used them so I can't tell you how well they work, or recommend a specific kind. Try asking in the bicycle thread in The Great Outdoors.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqi1F_cAmno

Do video embeds not work anymore or am I just an idiot? I don't think I've seen one in over a year.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
shows up for me:

you probably turned it off in the options and forgot about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS