Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TaurusTorus posted:

Today I did get a passdown, but it failed to mention that the plasma source had the wrong cable harness installed making it nonfunctional.

I spent a solid hour pouring over last shift’s correspondence with the engineers to figure this out when they could have added a second sentence to the passdown.

Also, unrelated, day shift gets waffles, I just noticed the breakroom has two big hotel style waffle irons that I’m not allowed to use.

Is there a reason you're not allowed to use them? Or more importantly, will anyone know if you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Escape From Noise posted:

Called our supplier for German malt and European hops. They're cleaned out until March and are taking preorders. I'm probably going to try and hoarde Saaz like a nutcase. But just no Golding this year. At all.

Do you know the root cause of these simultaneous shortages?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you know the root cause of these simultaneous shortages?

Heat wave in Europe negatively impacted harvest yield. Both major hop growing regions in Germany were hit pretty hard.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TaurusTorus posted:

Today I did get a passdown, but it failed to mention that the plasma source had the wrong cable harness installed making it nonfunctional.

I spent a solid hour pouring over last shift’s correspondence with the engineers to figure this out when they could have added a second sentence to the passdown.

Also, unrelated, day shift gets waffles, I just noticed the breakroom has two big hotel style waffle irons that I’m not allowed to use.

love it when people just leave out the single most critical piece of information for your whole day in their lovely loving passdown, absolutely one of my favorite things in the world

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Outrail posted:

Is there a reason you're not allowed to use them? Or more importantly, will anyone know if you do?

I’m more upset by what it implies, there are no waffle ingredients or toppings, so they must be put away somewhere. I just want work waffles.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

TaurusTorus posted:

Also, unrelated, day shift gets waffles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckB2kg5UYFQ

Now, every time they get waffles, you will imagine them also being forced to watch a creepy-rear end dance.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bored posted:

Now, every time they get waffles, you will imagine them also being forced to watch a creepy-rear end dance.

Well THAT just got moved way up on my to-watch list.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

My company has sacrificed work on Projects A and B to support Project C and now that Project C is done they are horrified to see A & B are behind.

Projects A & B are still behind and now they’re threatening disciplinary action if A & B don’t get immediately better.

Project C turned out to be a $40m waste of time, btw.

Project C continues to undermine Projects A & B by merely existing, incidentally.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Well THAT just got moved way up on my to-watch list.

Severance is a great show and should be watched by anyone who has worked an office job they don't like

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

Severance is a great show and should be watched by anyone who has worked an office job they don't like

Absolutely. If the job I was just reduced from could, they would absolutely have a scanner to find any words you carry on or in your person when entering or leaving work.

Not being permitted writing materials made sense when they were sorting tax documents by hand 20 years ago, but not when you are accessing things in a database and you just want to take loving notes on where to find poo poo in the extensive knowledge base you also have to find poo poo in while unfortunate callers are looking for clear answers. Then again, I’ve never had the urge to steal someone’s identity, or write down their personal information when THAT part is easy to find. So it might be an acceptable policy?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TaurusTorus posted:

I’m more upset by what it implies, there are no waffle ingredients or toppings, so they must be put away somewhere. I just want work waffles.

Hide the waffle irons away somewhere. Negotiate from a position of strength for mutually beneficial compromise.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bored posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckB2kg5UYFQ

Well now I'm never going to want waffles again, thank you for ruining that

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

goatface posted:

Wasabi beer?

I've had chili beer.

It's terrible.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Stoatbringer posted:

I've had chili beer.

It's terrible.

https://matsos.com.au/products/chilli-beer

That chili beer is pretty good.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

You wouldn't believe how much time and money I waste telling my funders how much time and money I waste telling my funders how much time and money I waste instead of actually doing something productive with their money.

Filling in HR forms to hire someone on a 6 month contract then filling in finance forms for funding to be able to fill in a HR form to extend their contract before filling in finance forms for more funding to be able to - oh they've found a job that doesn't threaten to make them redundant every time the season changes? Back to square one.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Wasabi beer?

It exists.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Microbrewery in my city does a tri-pepper pilsner that's good. I can't really drink a full pint of it, but cooking with it :yum:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Stoatbringer posted:

I've had chili beer.

It's terrible.

I've had serrano pepper beers, they range from spicy as gently caress to masking the pepper under other flavors like chocolate to the point you don't notice it's there. I've also had straight on pepper beers that are almost entirely built on making you want to drink something else so you don't die from the capsaicin.

I leave my team at the end of the month and I'm finding out how weird our company handles these sorts of things. When I left my last job for this one my supervisor would end emails I was included on with a note that I wouldn't be on the team by X date for over a month because the company expects managers to communicate out the details of a member leaving. The issue is that there's a lot of leeway in the timing of the announcement. Our team has known I was leaving for over a week now, but outside of our tiny group it's kind of scattershot. Random people have heard, but people I deal with daily have no idea. My wife tells me that almost all departures and movements are not communicated outside of the team until the person's last day if not after the fact. I have no idea why that's considered acceptable; we have so many things working at any given time that we need to warn people that changes are happening as soon as possible, but instead...oops, talk to this person instead now, other guy left Monday.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bored posted:

Absolutely. If the job I was just reduced from could, they would absolutely have a scanner to find any words you carry on or in your person when entering or leaving work.

Not being permitted writing materials made sense when they were sorting tax documents by hand 20 years ago, but not when you are accessing things in a database and you just want to take loving notes on where to find poo poo in the extensive knowledge base you also have to find poo poo in while unfortunate callers are looking for clear answers. Then again, I’ve never had the urge to steal someone’s identity, or write down their personal information when THAT part is easy to find. So it might be an acceptable policy?

Did you have to pinky promise you didn't have a photographic memory?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Machai posted:

Did you have to pinky promise you didn't have a photographic memory?

Yes. And if we lied, and they caught us, they would take the pinky.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Oh man. We ran out of IPA... I wish someone would have told me we were running low. I tried to fit one in the schedule earlier this month but boss was like we already have one. I don't want to do nothing but IPA, but you kind of need to make sure you have one at least. Better to have two on tap at once than none at all. Should have rattled harder for it but lesson learned. Schedule is getting a bit tight with some other beers the management has deemed important, but when I get a free week I'll try and get a kveik yeast pushed out ASAP.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bored posted:

I work in a poker room and part of my job is calculating bet payoffs, buy ins, cash outs and doing a fair amount of long math in my head. Which, like most people over the last 30 years, I have not done much of and used a phone/calculator like everyone else. But we're not allowed to have phones, calculators or even pen and paper to work these out.

"15 x 75" or "7 x 85" on the fly might be easy for some people but not me. I can get there but some bets take me longer than they like.

It's made even more weird by the fact that we're issued tablets to track the game under our log in names where we can make notes and poo poo BUT the tablet doesn't store them anywhere. So what's the point of it? There's also a loving calculator RIGHT THERE on said tablet. I also have to enter the total bet amounts into it on every hand but they're not logged anywhere at all.

It seems designed to keep track of what's going on, which can be daunting at a full table with a lot of high action, but the way they use it makes it where we might as well not even have it. It's completely pointless.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Okay. There was some IPA hidden away. Still not much. Problem is lack of kegs and cold storage.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Goddamn. When it rains it pours! I'm glad my boss is understanding when it comes to scheduling stuff but I have like a ton of stuff to fit into a limited schedule with limited cold room space and kegs. I think I almost have it figured out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got the maximum possible review score, maximum bonus, and an additional bonus on top of that by successfully selling less and motivating my team to do less work.

I... I don't think I'll ever have a better year.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Have you tried phoning it in using a children's toy phone? might have to start downgrading your equipment in general.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Something that’s annoying me right now is how centralised our decision making is and how it’s all one step removed from people that know anything. I manage a team of folk, I make my performance grading, send them to my boss. He takes them to his boss and they discuss them, make changes and bring them back to me to then discuss with the employee about how they’re no longer performing well because their bosses, bosses boss decided it.

What to change the status of something? Discuss it with the stakeholders and get agreement from them? No, my boss and the stake holder boss discuss it without any of the context and decide.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Gonna start my monthly online training. This month's topic: union busting

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Salami Surgeon posted:

Don't forget the onion for your belt.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Barudak posted:

I got the maximum possible review score, maximum bonus, and an additional bonus on top of that by successfully selling less and motivating my team to do less work.

I... I don't think I'll ever have a better year.

What if you bought back product from your customers?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Salami Surgeon posted:

Figure out who the biggest scabs and bootlickers are then report them as communist agitators

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Fun fact about monthly cyber security training is you can just not do it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Something that’s annoying me right now is how centralised our decision making is and how it’s all one step removed from people that know anything. I manage a team of folk, I make my performance grading, send them to my boss. He takes them to his boss and they discuss them, make changes and bring them back to me to then discuss with the employee about how they’re no longer performing well because their bosses, bosses boss decided it.

What to change the status of something? Discuss it with the stakeholders and get agreement from them? No, my boss and the stake holder boss discuss it without any of the context and decide.

This is all working as designed. To start, performance evaluations aren't about evaluating the performance of employees: they're about punishing poor performers and justifying lovely/no raises and lack of promotion. The number of people who are identified as not performing well is a function of a budget, not actual work being done.

The second part is all about the ago old problem of people in executive leadership misidentifying their position with competence in day to day tasks/decisions when obviously nothing can be further from the truth in most cases. Plus cruelty. You don't get there without some level of psychopathy and narcissism.

My company's annual planning was done on a spreadsheet. They started with last years quarterly revenue and profit margins. Added percentages to those. Then attempted to back project/initiatives to be completed in each quarter that would generate that amount of revenue/margin. The revenue from these projects as well as the time and resources required to complete them is being guessed at by executive sales leadership and non technical product managers. It turned out to be just as realistic and achievable as you'd expect.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 16, 2023

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

COPE 27 posted:

Fun fact about monthly cyber security training is you can just not do it

I'm a contractor for Social Security, but not actually *in* Social Security. As such, I often get emails that go to all Social Security employees including the new training seminars that I'm supposed to take online.

But as I'm a contractor, I don't actually have to do those trainings. However my agency is legally compelled to pay me if I take those trainings. Decisions, decisions

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
see how easy/hard the trainings are. suck up the money if they're easy enough to knock out quickly. my favs are the ones where you already know the poo poo going in and just have to let a video play through while dicking around online and answer a 5-10 question quiz on simple poo poo.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

StrangersInTheNight posted:

see how easy/hard the trainings are. suck up the money if they're easy enough to knock out quickly. my favs are the ones where you already know the poo poo going in and just have to let a video play through while dicking around online and answer a 5-10 question quiz on simple poo poo.

Typically they are 30-90 minute videos with four or five "click the obvious answer" multiple choice questions in the middle, that time out if you just leave them running and go to the bathroom or something

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Also you need to go through 2 layers of 2fa to log in to them

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Last week I had to do my Osha refresher. I think I've been using the same online place since 2009. Same questions.

I also had to do 10x online safety courses for a major utility. They're in an isnet wrapper, so clients can make sure you're compliant. This is my third year taking those. Some, you can try and "Test Out" if you've had the course previously, but the test requires 100% scoring to proceed. I'll always forget something hyper-site specific that I can't google. Then I sit through a 45 minute session and take the same test, that again requires 100% to get your cert.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

One of my clients with an industrial business makes me do a 45 minute OSHA course with a test for every site visit, including:

- their office building
- their retail sites

The content is exactly the same for every site but the training pass is site specific and expires every year.

This is why I do my meetings at starbucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We had a bunch of site inductions on a website that wouldn't let you open multiple tabs, and you couldn't go back to review the slide deck information. Of course everyone takes a photo/screenshot of each slide. I think the real test was 'is this person smart enough to cheat'.